Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Help! I keep missing them right!

Dr Strangelove

I've been rimming the cup on the right an awful lot this year.  I probably miss four shots a round this way on makable putts from within 10 feet and shorter.  Sometimes MUCH shorter.  A playing partner has mentioned I sometimes introduce a lag (my left wrist cups during the transition).

I realize its likely the Indian and not the Arrow, but are there putters or grips that I should be looking at?

So far this year I have played with: SeeMore Mallet, Ping Ketsch Mid-Heavy, Ping Senita B, and Cleveland TF 2135 TFI with no difference.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I doubt it's the specific putter head since you've tried so many. I'm no putting instructor but here's some things you could experiment with:

1. You could try adding lead tape to the heel of your putter. That ought to help a little with your rotation since you keep leaving the toe open.

2. It could also be your putter path just being diagonal in-to-out. For that, try the drill where you set up tees at the toe and heel of your putter then putt through.

3. If you wanna try something quirky, spin your grip clockwise slightly to affect your impact face angle.

4. Finally, a larger or different-shaped grip could help quiet your hands. That's what did the trick for me.

5. Just kidding, this one is the last one. It could be the length or lie. As Rev would say, get fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Aim lefter?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I doubt it's the specific putter head since you've tried so many. I'm no putting instructor but here's some things you could experiment with:

1. You could try adding lead tape to the heel of your putter. That ought to help a little with your rotation since you keep leaving the toe open.

2. It could also be your putter path just being diagonal in-to-out. For that, try the drill where you set up tees at the toe and heel of your putter then putt through.

3. If you wanna try something quirky, spin your grip clockwise slightly to affect your impact face angle.

4. Finally, a larger or different-shaped grip could help quiet your hands. That's what did the trick for me.

5. Just kidding, this one is the last one. It could be the length or lie. As Rev would say, get fitted.

I think it is an in to out swing.  I'll give the lead tape a shot.  It doesn't help that I like to have the ball "die" at the hole.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
Axis1 Rose putter

If you tend to look up too quick during the stroke, the tendency is to open the face and push the putt.  Keep looking at a spot in front of the ball until you hear the ball fall in the cup.  I did this, which is why I started looking at the hole when I make my stroke... can't look up when you are already looking at the hole!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

First questions:  are you starting putts on your intended line?  If your face is 1* off you will miss a 10 foot putt.  

Looks like most of the putters you listed are face balanced.  Faced balanced putters don't want to rotate so with an in to out swing you miss right.  

I'd start with the where the ball starts. If you can do that will different stroke lengths,  the the problem is with the line you selected or the speed you are using for that line. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Aim lefter?

I'm not one to correct peoples grammar or spelling, but I think the correct term is "more lefterer"

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

On a serious note, everyone seems to have covered things off.

If your aim is correct, are you using the right style (for you)?

If alignment is wrong, is the putter the correct length and lie? Wrong length and lie can make alignment even more difficult.

Have you seen the MLA and EvnRoll reviews? 

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

I'm not one to correct peoples grammar or spelling, but I think the correct term is "more lefterer"

In honor of TMaG lets go with "more left-ier"

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That's a fair compromise.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

On a serious note, everyone seems to have covered things off.

If your aim is correct, are you using the right style (for you)?

If alignment is wrong, is the putter the correct length and lie? Wrong length and lie can make alignment even more difficult.

Have you seen the MLA and EvnRoll reviews? 

I have seen them and am tempted.  They're so expensive, though.

If you tend to look up too quick during the stroke, the tendency is to open the face and push the putt.  Keep looking at a spot in front of the ball until you hear the ball fall in the cup.  I did this, which is why I started looking at the hole when I make my stroke... can't look up when you are already looking at the hole!

I'll give this a shot.

Axis1 Rose putter

First questions:  are you starting putts on your intended line?  If your face is 1* off you will miss a 10 foot putt.  

Looks like most of the putters you listed are face balanced.  Faced balanced putters don't want to rotate so with an in to out swing you miss right.  

I'd start with the where the ball starts. If you can do that will different stroke lengths,  the the problem is with the line you selected or the speed you are using for that line. 

Thanks. Will give it a shot.

Axis1 Rose putter

I am not an instructor by any stretch or means but it sounds like you are fanning the face open and actually putting side spin on the ball. A way to see is use a couple of range balls with the stripe in the middle like the equator and roll the ball and watch the stripe. That is my one big tendency and it took me a little while to figure out. In the past I was always an arc putter but I think due to age my hands and eyes do not coordinate like they used to and I was fanning the blade open especially on short putts. Now I really took drastic measures for me. I ended up going to a SS Mid Slim and installing it with the flat side to my left (it is legal too) and using my index finger down the shaft. That squares up the face for me. My right hand I am using my version of a modified claw grip with my thumb and little finger behind the grip just my 3 middle fingers touching. For me that makes it a straight back and through movement. It was hard for me to get used to because naturally again for me the right hand wants to take over and shut the face.

On the actual putter itself I am still using a heel shafted Scotty Santa FE. I know all the gurus say if you are a straight back and through stroke you need a center shafted putter. I have putted with heel shafted putters all my life and a center shafted putter does not set up for me eye wise

Now all of this is just me and not etched into stone but I had to do something and it was tough because for years I putted with the same grip I used on all other shots which is an overlap. I tried a bunch of different style grips and this is the only one I feel comfortable with. In fact my putter feels better in my hands than it has for 3 or 4 years now.

I can tell you this too. Get you a couple of Home Depot drive way sticks or even some old club shafts for that matter and go on a corner of the putting green where it is level. Go say 5 feet or so and set you 2 tees about 2 inches apart for now. Put the sticks where you are aligned at and putt the balls through the tees. Do not worry about speed. Either get a couple of range balls or stripe you up some yourself and check your roll. At this time I am not interested in whether it skids or not just how the ball tumbles. As you get it figured out and get to rolling it good move those tees in some. This is the old school way to do what they call the gate drill now. As you do it more and more you will get confidence over the ball and the tension will leave those hands. Good Luck to you

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

OK I will bite on that  :D

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I am not an instructor by any stretch or means but it sounds like you are fanning the face open and actually putting side spin on the ball. A way to see is use a couple of range balls with the stripe in the middle like the equator and roll the ball and watch the stripe. That is my one big tendency and it took me a little while to figure out. In the past I was always an arc putter but I think due to age my hands and eyes do not coordinate like they used to and I was fanning the blade open especially on short putts. Now I really took drastic measures for me. I ended up going to a SS Mid Slim and installing it with the flat side to my left (it is legal too) and using my index finger down the shaft. That squares up the face for me. My right hand I am using my version of a modified claw grip with my thumb and little finger behind the grip just my 3 middle fingers touching. For me that makes it a straight back and through movement. It was hard for me to get used to because naturally again for me the right hand wants to take over and shut the face.

On the actual putter itself I am still using a heel shafted Scotty Santa FE. I know all the gurus say if you are a straight back and through stroke you need a center shafted putter. I have putted with heel shafted putters all my life and a center shafted putter does not set up for me eye wise

Now all of this is just me and not etched into stone but I had to do something and it was tough because for years I putted with the same grip I used on all other shots which is an overlap. I tried a bunch of different style grips and this is the only one I feel comfortable with. In fact my putter feels better in my hands than it has for 3 or 4 years now.

I can tell you this too. Get you a couple of Home Depot drive way sticks or even some old club shafts for that matter and go on a corner of the putting green where it is level. Go say 5 feet or so and set you 2 tees about 2 inches apart for now. Put the sticks where you are aligned at and putt the balls through the tees. Do not worry about speed. Either get a couple of range balls or stripe you up some yourself and check your roll. At this time I am not interested in whether it skids or not just how the ball tumbles. As you get it figured out and get to rolling it good move those tees in some. This is the old school way to do what they call the gate drill now. As you do it more and more you will get confidence over the ball and the tension will leave those hands. Good Luck to you

I agree with your drills Stu.  I do them frequently.  I don't necessarily agree that SBST stroke requires a center shafted putter, but it should be face-balanced.  I agree with @cnosil that using a face-balanced putter with an arc stroke will enhance a right miss.  This is a good reason to get a fitting to know what putter type works best with your stroke.  No sense fighting a bad fitting putter.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree with your drills Stu.  I do them frequently.  I don't necessarily agree that SBST stroke requires a center shafted putter, but it should be face-balanced.  I agree with @cnosil that using a face-balanced putter with an arc stroke will enhance a right miss.  This is a good reason to get a fitting to know what putter type works best with your stroke.  No sense fighting a bad fitting putter.

I will agree with you on proper putter fitting> I will confess to something else too-- I tend to forget that just because I have been around this game all my life and can fit and build my own clubs that others do not know how to do that. I also agree with you on the point about SBST player not necessarly needing a center shafted putter. That is all together another science having to do with one's eye versus hand alignment. 

G

Aim lefter?

I had this problem and my fix was to Aim Lefftier.. using a line on the top of the ball to line up with AFTER i had placed the ball and lined the line up.. I felt like i was aimed WAY left when i set up. I started sinking more putts.. I used this drill om the practice green and then on the course i line up without the line as i do not want to see anything but the white on top of the ball. I started missing slightly right on the course and it was my natural feel.. once again i lined up what feels like aiming left and Boooo Ya.. give that a try.. It's not a new putter or lessons but it could be something simple like that..  

I hope that makes sense... in my head it sounded right.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I had this problem and my fix was to Aim Lefftier.. using a line on the top of the ball to line up with AFTER i had placed the ball and lined the line up.. I felt like i was aimed WAY left when i set up. I started sinking more putts.. I used this drill om the practice green and then on the course i line up without the line as i do not want to see anything but the white on top of the ball. I started missing slightly right on the course and it was my natural feel.. once again i lined up what feels like aiming left and Boooo Ya.. give that a try.. It's not a new putter or lessons but it could be something simple like that..

I hope that makes sense... in my head it sounded right..

Makes sense. What you are experiencing is a visual issue which is why you see the line going left of the target. You subconsciously make an adjustment to push the ball right to account for what you think you are seeing. Two choices convince yourself that the line is really current or adjust your setup to see that line pointing to your target. You took the first choice.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So I did a SAMPutt Lab fitting.  My issues were: eyeline way inside and aim off to the right.  I tested a bunch of putters: My Ping Senita B, Odyssey #9, Odyssey Fang, Odyssey R-Line, Evnroll ER8, Evnroll ER9.  The best results for me was the Evnroll ER7.  The Odyssey R-Line was pretty good for me as well, but the ER7 just felt a lot better.  It will be customized to 4 degree loft and 1.5 degree upright.  Unfortunate, because these things are crazy expensive.  

Axis1 Rose putter

So I did a SAMPutt Lab fitting. My issues were: eyeline way inside and aim off to the right. I tested a bunch of putters: My Ping Senita B, Odyssey #9, Odyssey Fang, Odyssey R-Line, Evnroll ER8, Evnroll ER9. The best results for me was the Evnroll ER7. The Odyssey R-Line was pretty good for me as well, but the ER7 just felt a lot better. It will be customized to 4 degree loft and 1.5 degree upright. Unfortunate, because these things are crazy expensive.

Well hopefully it's the last one you'll ever need to buy! Glad you put the effort in to guarantee you're getting what you need.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 1 month later...

Isn't it, blade tends to pull the putt left off line and mallets and mids pull to right

Is that right? I read it somwhwere

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Not necessarily true. Other design feature of a putter like offset, hosel position, and weight are generally the reasons a putter will influence the balls direction. You also need to look at a persons stroke tendencies combined with the putter to see why there is a particular mixs

Archived