Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Growing the Game

HardcoreLooper

I just read Big Money's post in the Random Thread about getting a buddy into the game with that very generous donation of equipment and advice on an affordable course. That's an amazing way to grow the game.

What are some other things we can do? Get our kids playing? Spouses? Volunteer at your local First Tee?

This game is a gift, and we're the stewards of it.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Sometimes just starting close to home can make the biggest difference. I talked (and keep talking) my wife into the game although she gets very frustrated with it. Making it more of a social event makes a big difference with her. Playing with my son and his fiancé is a blast - he's and occasional golfer and she's brand new to golf. Just a lot of fun playing with the two of them.

Our club is a combination marina, social, and golf club. Our Friday night mixed couples scrambles are a great opportunity to play with those couples who wouldn't normally play 9 or 18. Again this is a social event.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

What needs to be grown?...seriously? Golf is big. There are more players than ever, right now. 

What needs to change is the attitudes and elite stigma that is associated with golf. The stuffy, elitist, money driven attitudes is what will kill this game for all but the wealthy. Maybe that's what a good percentage of the golfing community wants?.... the courses to themselves and their own ilk?.... like it used to be?

Yea..... I've had a bad day and a few pours, so..................

For my money I would say shorter more executive type courses for the young and beginner. If the course is to long it's no fun for the beginner or kid. Let the kids pick up and go to the next hole if they want. Making it fun is where it is at. My wife isn't very good but we have a blast. Just stay up with the group in front of you and whack away

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Great thread.For all of us amateurs distance off the tee will always be an issue.These super hard and long courses being built really are hindering the game.Than a few years down the road that are practically giving rounds away pleading for people to play them.Go back to designing courses that are meant to be fun.If people shoot low scores they will come back more often

And to Silver And Black.I understand your grievance.Its a very elitist game.Its a stigma golf will always have.If it bothers one, than this isn't the sport for them

Keep it in the short stuff

Great thread.For all of us amateurs distance off the tee will always be an issue.These super hard and long courses being built really are hindering the game.Than a few years down the road that are practically giving rounds away pleading for people to play them.Go back to designing courses that are meant to be fun.If people shoot low scores they will come back more often

And to Silver And Black.I understand your grievance.Its a very elitist game.Its a stigma golf will always have.If it bothers one, than this isn't the sport for them

Right, but what can we do to overcome the elitist image? I'm of the opinion that the more popular golf is, the better it is for the game.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Right, but what can we do to overcome the elitist image? I'm of the opinion that the more popular golf is, the better it is for the game.

Not sure there is anything you can do.Many have tried to change that image.But it will always be there and happens on every course

Keep it in the short stuff

I haven't been there yet but based on the videos I've seen TopGolf might be starting to change the stuffy image you talking about. BTW at our club (which is private), everyone I've played with is pretty down to earth - we have a pretty diverse background in our men's league.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I have never sold a set of clubs that I have replaced, every set has been passed on to my son, friends and neighbor kids. I am replacing irons this year and the old set will go to a kid at my course playing an old set of hand me downs. My thought is that I have got my money's worth out of them why not help out some youngsters to get them playing.

Driver: Taylormade QI10

3W: Taylormade QI10

5W: Taylormade QI10

Hybrid Taylormade 4 QI10

Irons: 5 to LW Taylormade Stealth

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour

Ball: Taylormade TP 

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag

Not sure there is anything you can do.Many have tried to change that image.But it will always be there and happens on every course

I still think it can be done. There's a place in the game for Augusta National, but there's also a place for the inner city muni and the country cow pasture.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I haven't been there yet but based on the videos I've seen TopGolf might be starting to change the stuffy image you talking about. BTW at our club (which is private), everyone I've played with is pretty down to earth - we have a pretty diverse background in our men's league.

I'm a huge fan of TG. Any time my wife will willingly pick up a golf club, it's a good time.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I have never sold a set of clubs that I have replaced, every set has been passed on to my son, friends and neighbor kids. I am replacing irons this year and the old set will go to a kid at my course playing an old set of hand me downs. My thought is that I have got my money's worth out of them why not help out some youngsters to get them playing.

I like how you think.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What needs to be grown?...seriously? Golf is big. There are more players than ever, right now.

What needs to change is the attitudes and elite stigma that is associated with golf. The stuffy, elitist, money driven attitudes is what will kill this game for all but the wealthy. Maybe that's what a good percentage of the golfing community wants?.... the courses to themselves and their own ilk?.... like it used to be?

We all have them. I hope it gets better for you.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

What needs to change is the attitudes and elite stigma that is associated with golf. The stuffy, elitist, money driven attitudes is what will kill this game for all but the wealthy. Maybe that's what a good percentage of the golfing community wants?.... the courses to themselves and their own ilk?.... like it used to be?

I tend to agree with the attitude towards golf. Every weekend we all watch and want to play on the best kept courses. For those courses to operate it takes money. I know playing a top course is going to cost me. But playing a local course that's not in as good of shape will not cost me as much. We all want these perfect courses when in reality we can't afford to have them because the maintenance costs too much. If golf would show it's normal to play in not perfect conditions I think that would help the stigma.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I'll talk out of both sides of my mouth. First, I don't buy the USGA/PGA line of "growing the game". At least from their point of view which means more money into their respective pockets-organizations. Golf is plenty healthy at least in the region where I live. I know this because I get around to various courses quite a bit and they are all plenty busy with daily play and tournaments. They all carry a full load of tournaments during the year. (sometimes too many IMO) High school and college golf all carry a full roster. Golf like many industries can have their ups & downs. During the so called golf Boom; golf was over built and many times poorly built. By that I mean too many courses and too many where course designers/architects went wild and overboard. Courses were tricked up and made too long and too difficult for the average golfer - their customers. Many are very high maintenance due to their design and desire to make the courses a shear thing of grand landscaped beauty. Sure, with 5 sets of tees you're not forced to play at 7,000+ yards. But those 7000+ yards have to be maintained and that's expensive. So too with all the over-done bunkering. Maintaining sand bunkers is expensive. Maintaining beautiful landscaping that really has nothing to do with playing the game is expensive. Admittingly I enjoy seeing and playing beautifully maintained golf courses. But when I play those types of courses the green fees are high; and for a reason. They are expensive to maintain and operate and they have limited play. Therefore high green fees and limited play as compared to a quality course without all the unnecessary maintenance expense. One of our local muni's is and old 50's design and a great old style track. However, it's owned and run by the city government and in poor condition. But it's cheap to play there alright. Really cheap! Too cheap in fact since green fees are set way too low to even maintain the course in Good condition. For example a Senior daily green fee is $9.50 if you walk. If you aren't a Senior it's $12.00. So yea... golf is cheap at this course. But you also get a $hitty course. What's the point? In my opinion our city government should not even be in the golf business but that's a long story for discussion another day. Back to growing the game...

I'm trying to grow the game locally by getting The First Tee National School Program started in our school system at the elementary level in 2017. However, my efforts have nothing to do with the USGA/PGA. What we're doing is introducing kids at the elementary school level to golf. Along with golf TFT programming is also teaching and exposing these kids to the 9-core Values and 9-healthy habits. This to me is growing the game where it should be grown and needed.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

What a great approach. This is not only another way to pay it forward but also encourages kids to get into the game. My hats off to you sir.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I have an eleven and twelve year old playing golf.  Some problem courses for kids;

1.  Cart only.  I can't take them by myself so these courses are out.

2.  Most courses are too long even from the women's tees.  My kids have the option of playing best ball for shots they mishit.  We try to keep it moving.  They don't want to be out there too long the same as the rest of us.

3.  Long distances from green to the next tee.  I want them to walk for the exercise but some courses get a little crazy.

4.  Holes that are too difficult for the average golfer, let alone beginners.

The kids favourite course is about half an hour from a cabin I have up north.  It has 12 holes that use dog legs and small greens rather than length.  The longest hole is less than 500yds.  Green to next tee is very close on all but one hole and the one is still shorter than average on most courses.  Not the best shape but pretty good overall.  Also not too expensive.  Lots of new and occasional golfers play this course.  Maybe more courses like this would get more people to try the sport and keep playing.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I tend to agree with the attitude towards golf. Every weekend we all watch and want to play on the best kept courses. For those courses to operate it takes money. I know playing a top course is going to cost me. But playing a local course that's not in as good of shape will not cost me as much. We all want these perfect courses when in reality we can't afford to have them because the maintenance costs too much. If golf would show it's normal to play in not perfect conditions I think that would help the stigma.

You're absolutely right. That emerald green course costs a fortune to be kept that way. And here's the kicker - the average golfer would have much more fun playing a course that's a little more tan (drier). Drives would roll out farther and short shots have a better chance of bouncing onto the green. I never mind playing a dried out golf course.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

One of our local muni's is and old 50's design and a great old style track. However, it's owned and run by the city government and in poor condition. But it's cheap to play there alright. Really cheap! Too cheap in fact since green fees are set way too low to even maintain the course in Good condition. For example a Senior daily green fee is $9.50 if you walk. If you aren't a Senior it's $12.00. So yea... golf is cheap at this course. But you also get a $hitty course. What's the point? In my opinion our city government should not even be in the golf business but that's a long story for discussion another day. Back to growing the game...

I'm trying to grow the game locally by getting The First Tee National School Program started in our school system at the elementary level in 2017. However, my efforts have nothing to do with the USGA/PGA. What we're doing is introducing kids at the elementary school level to golf. Along with golf TFT programming is also teaching and exposing these kids to the 9-core Values and 9-healthy habits. This to me is growing the game where it should be grown and needed.

Much respect for what you're doing with TFT. Keep us posted on how NSP goes. We do NSP with our chapter, but since I work full-time, I don't volunteer for that. I'll need to find out how many of our participants found out about us via NSP.

The course you describe above is somewhat similar to a course in my area. It was built back in the 30s as a private club and actually hosted the 1949 PGA championship (apparently the competitors didn't think much of the course, but I love it). The neighborhood around the course took a turn for the worse, and the club sold the land to the local municipality and moved out to the exurbs. I'll also reserve comment on a local government in the golf business, but the fact is that they do a decent job with the course. It's no club-for-a-day, but it's very playable, and residents can play on weekend mornings for $29 walking/$44 riding. It's a whopping $3 more for non-residents like me. And I figure that $47 to ride on a Saturday morning for this kind of course is just about right. That's what every area needs, a decent course that you can play on a Saturday morning for under $50.

And look, even $50 is a tough nut to crack for some people. There's the executive course at our TFT (nice, but short) and a scruffy little nine-holer (not as nice, a little longer), both of which you can walk for around $20 or ride for around $30.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'd love to get my friends to play more rounds, but it's much easier to introduce the game to my kids. We don't even have to go to the course which is the best part. Spent this weekend putting around in the living room with my 5yr old.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Archived