Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tour Experience Golf (TXG) on YouTube

OK, I've got some questions provoked by the putter fitting video (might work as it's own thread).

Ian expressed his dislike of center shafted putters, citing their tendency to twist on anything other than a centered strike.

He also noted that the line up line on most putters is placed in the geometric center, not necessarily aligned with the center of mass.

So I grabbed my Nike putter. It's a 1W style head, plumber's neck, roughly 30 degrees of toe hang. As expected, holding the club loosely and bouncing a ball off its face, it twists open if you strike it on the line up line. It holds steady if struck toward the heel, where the shaft would intersect with the head.

So my questions:

1. I'm confused as to how a center shafted club would twist more that a typical heel shafted putter. It seems that both are going to twist if you miss the center of mass, proportional to the putter's MOI.

2. Should we aim to strike the putter at the center of mass, rather than the geometric center? I was playing around with this, intentionally hitting putts heel side. But without a monitor of some sort, it's difficult to determine what's actually happening there.

As with many others, I'm grateful for the work you guys do and the information you're sharing.

Sent from my LG-G5 using the MyGolfSpy mobile app.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I've got some questions provoked by the putter fitting video (might work as it's own thread).

Ian expressed his dislike of center shafted putters, citing their tendency to twist on anything other than a centered strike.

He also noted that the line up line on most putters is placed in the geometric center, not necessarily aligned with the center of mass.

So I grabbed my Nike putter. It's a 1W style head, plumber's neck, roughly 30 degrees of toe hang. As expected, holding the club loosely and bouncing a ball off its face, it twists open if you strike it on the line up line. It holds steady if struck toward the heel, where the shaft would intersect with the head.

So my questions:

1. I'm confused as to how a center shafted club would twist more that a typical heel shafted putter. It seems that both are going to twist if you miss the center of mass, proportional to the putter's MOI.

2. Should we aim to strike the putter at the center of mass, rather than the geometric center? I was playing around with this, intentionally hitting putts heel side. But without a monitor of some sort, it's difficult to determine what's actually happening there.

As with many others, I'm grateful for the work you guys do and the information you're sharing.

Great questions.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

So my questions:

The center shafted putter thing surprised me as well, we didn't have time to get into it in detail but I'm sure I can get him to bring it up again in a future putter video, as well as the center of mass vs. geometric center striking.

Somebody linked it earlier, but I saw a Rick Shiels video on shafts, from senior flex to extra stiff. The lack of difference in numbers was quite surprising, and a super interesting talking point on shafts.

@NewBall Coach. Check your PMs when you get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Another good one went up this morning.   Being fan of adjustable drivers, I found this one particularly interesting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLSJ4kdzvFw

Another good one went up this morning. Being fan of adjustable drivers, I found this one particularly interesting.

I enjoyed it. I bought a used 2017 M1 and I can absolutely see flight differences in my ball flight. It's nice because your swing may change over time and you can make slight adjustments to keep your desired flight.

:taylormade-small: M1 2017 10.5°  (Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)
:taylormade-small: M2 2017 3W 15° (Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)

default_cobra-small.jpeg.2311ad26bb4cabebf0f635266eee64f0.jpeg King Tec 21° dialed to 20° (Mitsubishi MMT 80x)
:mizuno-small: Pro 223 PW-6, 225 5-4 (Project X LZ 6.5 125g, Golf Pride CP2)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 52° F-grind,  56° M-grind, 60° L-Grind
:taylormade-small: TP Black Copper Juno

Here is what I have learned from my instructor about these questions.  

1.  Center shafted putters move you closer to the ball which will reduce the need for the putter to rotate.  However center shafted putters have no directional bias, it is just as easy for the putter to rotate open as it is to rotate closed during the stroke.  The hands can easily influence that rotation.  as discussed in the video you need a putter that rotates the correct amount based on your stroke so you deliver the face correctly at impact.

2. Ideally you want to hit the putter at the center of mass to have the ball come off with consistent speed.  As you miss the ball heel and toe, ball speed changes.  If the geometric center isn't the center of mass, then ball speed may increase with an off center hit if you hit the center of mass.  EvnRoll, Ping, and Cleveland change the grooves to try and make this less apparent.  

Just my thoughts and Ian may completely disagree

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have always liked center shafted putters for short periods of time, but this makes a lot of sense! I am borrowing a friends GoLo 5S right now for a test run and my left miss is now just as likely to be a left or right miss it seems, and for this reason I don't see it making it into the bag. 9 out of 10 are great strokes but when they are not it can be a bad miss.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Another good one went up this morning.   Being fan of adjustable drivers, I found this one particularly interesting. 

Since I have been away from my computer I haven't had the ability to watch much content (too much data on a cell phone).  Spent yesterday and this morning catching up on the content.  This video confirmed what I have experienced when testing adjustable drivers and why having someone that understands these dynamics can make a driver feel terrible or feel fabulous.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Another good one went up this morning. Being fan of adjustable drivers, I found this one particularly interesting.

I'm like matt in that the sound and look of m3 are good but the low spin is something that worried me with that head. I definitely had to loft up and any weight in the middle towards the front was bad news. I may have to test it again using both the setup 1 and 3 options Ian gave him especially setup 1. Seeing doing in the mid 2k range would be perfect for what I would want this head to do.

Video was great at showing how effective or detrimental for a golfer if not setup right. I agree with Ian in that let the fitter dial it on and leave it and only tweak if something funky going on with the swing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm like matt in that the sound and look of m3 are good but the low spin is something that worried me with that head. I definitely had to loft up and any weight in the middle towards the front was bad news. I may have to test it again using both the setup 1 and 3 options Ian gave him especially setup 1. Seeing doing in the mid 2k range would be perfect for what I would want this head to do.

Video was great at showing how effective or detrimental for a golfer if not setup right. I agree with Ian in that let the fitter dial it on and leave it and only tweak if something funky going on with the swing

That sounds like solid advice, I think I'll go get that done  :D

That sounds like solid advice, I think I'll go get that done  :D

That advice does leave an opening for you to keep changing everything about your bag.  

That sounds like solid advice, I think I'll go get that done :D

Haha. Tell him you want to start with lady flex in driver as you've seen YouTube videos with that kinda shift working for different swing types. 🤣

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Haha. Tell him you want to start with lady flex in driver as you've seen YouTube videos with that kinda shift working for different swing types. 🤣

I think I'll let him do the suggesting and I'll fix the listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. Tell him you want to start with lady flex in driver as you've seen YouTube videos with that kinda shift working for different swing types.

Apparently just further confirmed with a "Part 2" video now live... :lol:

Apparently just further confirmed with a "Part 2" video now live... :lol:

Saw that one right before posting this comment

Apparently just further confirmed with a "Part 2" video now live...

Just brutal. Went on and on about how the ladies shaft spun less, but did nothing show any strike data (which would have probably shown that the x flex shaft was being struck low on the face)

That video just made appreciate the production and content of TXG all the much more.

That video just made appreciate the production and content of TXG all the much more.

He gets more pretentious with every video. I love watching history course vlogs, but this is becoming a obnoxious

Lie angle and it's impact on strike quality and dispersion. I know you guys have done a few like this.

But how much distance and accuracy would you lose say with a too flat of club, 1-2° flat, then the complete opposite and 2-3° upright against your lie.

If you already have one please point me in the right direction.

* and it's impact on impact location.

Any special requests for videos? We are filming first thing tomorrow morning.

How about some golf shots with hockey sticks in honor of the Stanley Cup? Would love to see the spin rate numbers you can generate with a mean slap shot. A little game out of that could make for an interesting mini segment.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Any special requests for videos? We are filming first thing tomorrow morning.

As golf fitting terminology 101 video would be cool. You guys have done a good job explaining as you've gone (ie shaft deflection) but there are still some terms out there that I'm not too clear on.

What does loading and unloading a shaft mean?

What does an aggressive transition look like?

Can length of backswing change shaft needs?

I want to hear Ian talk about ball spin. He mentioned the regular prov1 is a higher spinning than the prov1x, but I think there needs to be clarity as to where it is higher spinning.

The prov1x and other firmer tour balls will spin more on partial shots due to the core not compressing and the soft cover working against the firmer inner layers creating spin.

Do the softer tour balls spin more off full shots with irons? What about the driver?

^^ video idea

How about some golf shots with hockey sticks in honor of the Stanley Cup? Would love to see the spin rate numbers you can generate with a mean slap shot. A little game out of that could make for an interesting mini segment.

Hockey is (temporarily) out of my good books – got tripped and took a nasty fall in my weekly men's league game last night. Got a day of home rehab ahead to get ready for filming tomorrow!

You know, not all Canadians play hockey.

Okay, that's a lie. But we're not all good. I didn't take up playing the game until my 30's, and I get in a solid blueline-to-blueline shift every week in the winter when I'm playing.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I'd like to see something on wedges and the impact of sole design and bounce. Do they really matter and how can you determine what works best for you and how to evaluate your courses conditions.

As golf fitting terminology 101 video would be cool. You guys have done a good job explaining as you've gone (ie shaft deflection) but there are still some terms out there that I'm not too clear on.

What does loading and unloading a shaft mean?

What does an aggressive transition look like?

Can length of backswing change shaft needs?

This is a great suggestion, as I'd like to know more about all those as well.   

Videos taken on course, playing shots from tee through the green , for score.

I prefer on course videos to driving range or simulator, because they are more realistic to the challenges a player actually faces, including choosing lines of play  from tee boxes, playing shots from sloped , grassy, hard pan or other less than ideal lies, the challenges of green side short game shots, reading greens and putting etc...

Personally, I love their  current setup. There's enough on course stuff out there already, and I don't find it very helpful.  You can't follow the ball very well and unless it's being done with network quality camera's it's almost impossible to get good close up shots.  

I do have one video request Matt.  When I'm doing my fitting, can you make sure that target green is like 220 yards and not 300 yards, continually falling short of it, will be quite discouraging...LOL  And maybe 150 yards for the 6 iron test....just sayin  :huh:

Sorry to dispell any myths here that all of us internet golfers hit 320 yard drives and 180 yard 8 irons.   :D

Archived