Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Visible tech

RickyBobby_PR

When it comes to visible tech for things like drivers/woods it used to just be moveable weights, adjustable hosel, then we got different materials on the crowns of woods, then turbulators and dragonfly on ping, see thru port on the cobra LTD and rails on the fairway woods. Then being able to see where jailbreak was on epic and now “screws” on the face of TM drivers.

Does the visible tech help tell the marketing/technology story better? Does it add any confusion to the consumer?  Does it affect you or your perception of a product?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

When it comes to visible tech for things like drivers/woods it used to just be moveable weights, adjustable hosel, then we got different materials on the crowns of woods, then turbulators and dragonfly on ping, see thru port on the cobra LTD and rails on the fairway woods. Then being able to see where jailbreak was on epic and now “screws” on the face of TM drivers.
Does the visible tech help tell the marketing/technology story better? Does it add any confusion to the consumer?  Does it affect you or your perception of a product?

Personally I’m not a fan of all these adjustable clubs and changing it. I personally think it’s much to confusing and give you sporadic numbers instead of consistency. That is however just my personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The answers to these questions will vary based on the individual. Watching DvD 2 we saw that there was focus on having tech visible to help sell the product because the visible tech is what helps distinguish the drivers and gets people to pick up the club.

Personally I don’t think it tells a story any better because before I put the club in the bag I am going to try it against my current equipment to see if it works. If it doesn’t I am moving on to the next product. For someone that just walks into a store and buys equipment off the shelf the story, color, graphics, and company name play a big part in the selection.

My caveat is that for performance testing I have a bigger advantage over most golfers. As an MGS tester I get to test a large percentage of the equipment in the market and see how they compare head to head without having to seek out demos.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’d like to be an MGS tester

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

They are always looking for most wanted testers. Only real qualification is that you are near Yorktown,Va.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think it definitely helps market clubs to the crowd that will buy off the shelf. 

An example would be my uncle - he buys a new driver roughly every 2 years. Walks into a big brand store and buys whatever he thinks will help him the most. Outside of asking for a "stiff shaft" 🤫, he's going to buy whatever strikes him as the coolest or newest looking tech. Seeing that tech makes it more tangible for him and he can show it off when he next hits the course.

Personally, while I certainly have an aesthetic preference, club choice is going to be the best performer within my budget regardless of where the tech is located.

PS: I'd like to be a tester too 😉. Would putting up an MGS sign in my office qualify as the Boston branch for testing? 

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

For me, the only thing that matters is performance.

That being said, IF I bought off the rack, visible tech would play a huge role into my desicion. Some tech would appeal to me like Jailbreak and some wouldn't, like the old TM Whiteout. But that at that point its just personal preference and who marketed their tech better.

As a performance based customer, I want to see the tech actually works. If the tech works, I'll buy it, if not, I won't. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

My caveat is that for performance testing I have a bigger advantage over most golfers. As an MGS tester I get to test a large percentage of the equipment in the market and see how they compare head to head without having to seek out demos

Interesting. I didn't know MGS had permanent testers. I always thought it was a selection process for each review.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

Interesting. I didn't know MGS had permanent testers. I always thought it was a selection process for each review.

I am one of the participants in the most wanted testing and the other lab tests that they do in Yorktown. This is in addition to those done on the forum.   So when you read the most wanted test results on the main MGS page,  I am one of those testers (or Hitsquad as we are now known).  We have the option of picking what tests we want to do.   This year I did blade putters, mallet putters,  drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, driving irons,  players irons, players distance irons,  game improvement irons, and wedges.  Waiting for them to get the stability shaft test started.  Have also done some of the ball tests in the past.   They are always looking for local testers to try and get a better range of golfer abilities; especially the lower swing speed players.  

I am one of the participants in the most wanted testing and the other lab tests that they do in Yorktown. This is in addition to those done on the forum.   So when you read the most wanted test results on the main MGS page,  I am one of those testers (or Hitsquad as we are now known).  We have the option of picking what tests we want to do.   This year I did blade putters, mallet putters,  drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, driving irons,  players irons, players distance irons,  game improvement irons, and wedges.  Waiting for them to get the stability shaft test started.  Have also done some of the ball tests in the past.   They are always looking for local testers to try and get a better range of golfer abilities; especially the lower swing speed players.  

Wish I lived close the HQ and participate in their testing.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Wish I lived close the HQ and participate in their testing.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
You and me both. I drive within a couple hours twice a year, but other than that I'm 1000 miles away.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I think visible tech is all about shelf appeal and selling product.  For me I personally don't care if I can see the tech as long as I like the look from address and the club performs.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I think visible tech is nice because you can talk about COR and MOI until you're blue in the face, but the average golfer who don't live on a forum doesn't know much about that. If they walk into a big box store they'll most likely be more apt to grab a driver where they can see something and say "hey what's this?" and try it out.

Personally it's not a big thing for me one way or the other, especially tech that's visible at address. Within a few balls I never notice it again. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

I think we all appreciate (and don't always think through) the massive amounts of hours our in-person testers do to get our most wanted results. Sure, it seems awesome to think that you could be an MGS tester, but I would imagine you have put in close to what, 100 hours this year on all that testing? More? That's not time I could give up right now to test golf clubs. Thanks again to all that do, it's what makes this place great!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I think visible tech is nice because you can talk about COR and MOI until you're blue in the face, but the average golfer who don't live on a forum doesn't know much about that. If they walk into a big box store they'll most likely be more apt to grab a driver where they can see something and say "hey what's this?" and try it out.

Personally it's not a big thing for me one way or the other, especially tech that's visible at address. Within a few balls I never notice it again. 

The thing that the tech does is allows ball flight etc. to be honed in to help your miss at impact. It gives fitters more options. To think of it from the OEM's perspective, last year I tested the Mizuno ST-180. I found it to be very draw-biased. Because there was no adjustability, I likely would not have purchased that club, as it created too many misses for me. If they had moveable weights or technology to help me out (like my M1 does in fade setting) a fitter could have potentially fixed that miss and dialed in that driver to a level where it might have been my best performer. A lack of tech doesn't allow a fitter to do that. And if the customer can see it and understand it, even better. There's also really no way to add invisible tech to a golf driver, because the space and weight savings on the inside are just too valuable to give up (that was also seen on Driver vs Driver).

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I think we all appreciate (and don't always think through) the massive amounts of hours our in-person testers do to get our most wanted results. Sure, it seems awesome to think that you could be an MGS tester, but I would imagine you have put in close to what, 100 hours this year on all that testing? More? That's not time I could give up right now to test golf clubs. Thanks again to all that do, it's what makes this place great!

If I think back, it was probably about 70 hours for the testing throughout the year. I am probably on the higher end since I want to test everything I can. Some testers may only do a few tests so they have less hours. It isn’t too bad, I go right after work and get home for dinner and to spend time with the family.

1 hour ago, newballcoach said:

The thing that the tech does is allows ball flight etc. to be honed in to help your miss at impact. It gives fitters more options. To think of it from the OEM's perspective, last year I tested the Mizuno ST-180. I found it to be very draw-biased. Because there was no adjustability, I likely would not have purchased that club, as it created too many misses for me. If they had moveable weights or technology to help me out (like my M1 does in fade setting) a fitter could have potentially fixed that miss and dialed in that driver to a level where it might have been my best performer. A lack of tech doesn't allow a fitter to do that. And if the customer can see it and understand it, even better. There's also really no way to add invisible tech to a golf driver, because the space and weight savings on the inside are just too valuable to give up (that was also seen on Driver vs Driver).

Tech is so many things. Adjustability is just one aspect and is the most obvious visible tech. Materials used to reduce weight and move CG, moveable weights, weight ports like titleist, speed channels, and even the shape/size of adapter can be as well.

The adjustability and/or moveable weights would be the visible tech that allows for the flight to be dialed in wherec as something like turbulators, the ridges adaptor TM uses, multi material crowns is more design tech to improve performance of the head from jump.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

17 hours ago, cnosil said:

I am one of the participants in the most wanted testing and the other lab tests that they do in Yorktown. This is in addition to those done on the forum.   So when you read the most wanted test results on the main MGS page,  I am one of those testers (or Hitsquad as we are now known). 

Pretty cool. I don't know if all that testing would be something I could handle but if I lived next door Id certainly want to do a couple of them now and then. Sounds fun. Being able to be selective helps.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived