digitaltexan

Golfing Solo or only with Friends?

Golfing Solo or only with Friends?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer or find it acceptable to play a round by yourself or would you rather only play with golfing buddies?

• I don't mind playing alone or being grouped together with strangers.
    • I only like playing with friends, that way if I were to get a hole-in-one, I get lifetime bragging rights!

Our Sponsors

I mostly play alone.  Walking a golf course, alone with your thoughts and the sounds of nature, is so peaceful.  We're bombarded with so much noise in our daily lives (traffic noise, push notifications, advertisements, etc) that solo golf becomes somewhat meditative.  Sorry if that's a bit new age-y.  Playing with others is fun if you get the right people; a difficult task.  Playing alone, however, relieves you from having to make inane small talk or listen to some stranger tell you what makes him the world's foremost expert on fantasy football.  

• Like 1

It’s 50/50 for me. On the weekends I try to get the first tee time 7am just because no one else wants it and I can get around in good time and be home before the family is up. I am an early bird and love the solitude.
During the week I sign up as solo but usually always end up with a group and that is fine with me, Ive met some great people being paired up , a couple of guys that we know play almost weekly together during the season.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75 Ventus Red 5 S  shaft 

Woods -  Taylormade Sim Ti 3wood - Diamana reg 65

Taylormade  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 6- PW, AW   KBS 80 R steel 

WEDGES-  Vokey SM 8   50/54/58 

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey. 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

The poll doesn't really work for me, so I didn't respond.  Mostly because neither option is what I would choose.  I've played many rounds solo, and I've played many rounds with strangers, and I have no problem with either.  I've also got a good group of fellow members at my club that I can hit up and get a game with almost any time.  But playing with friends or other members has nothing to do with witnessing a hole in one, moreso then just enjoying each other's company and encouraging any of us to go low, and to be the best golfer we can be during that round.

It's something I never really picked up on, until I was actually a member of a club.  The relationships you form with the other members are priceless.  They encourage you, and you encourage them, and it's great to see them every time you are ready to tee it off.  While I've certainly played solo every now and then, there are definitely times when I've asked around for a game and no one could play, and I just opted not to play.  Playing solo is good if you just want to work on your game, or you are doing something that involves hitting more than one shot, but playing solo is not something I would want to do very often, or with a majority of my rounds.

And playing with total strangers is a crap shoot honestly.  I used to walk up to the local muni and just asked to get paired up with whomever.  I stopped finding that fun when some of the people I got paired up with had not picked up a golf club for more than a year, and were more interested in drinking beer and driving the cart, and listening to music in the cart, then they were in actually hitting a decent golf shot.  It's not fun when these types of people are already hitting their 3rd shot before you actually get to where your drive landed.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I don't mind playing alone or with randoms but my preference is to play with at least one of the boys. I only go alone if I'm having major withdrawals and no one else can make it to the course

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

My priority on my home course would be:

1. Play with my wife or 1-2 friends who tee it up at 7am and can keep the round between 3.5 and 4 hours.

2. Play alone if none of the above are available

If I play on foreign turf, I would prefer to be paired with strangers instead of playing alone, meet new people, know the place/course, etc...

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I play in golf leagues and with friends. I have no issues playing solo on Sunday mornings which is typical for me. My only concern is when I finally get a hole in one there is someone around to see it! I don't know of anything worse. The shot of your life and all you can do is pat yourself on the back. If you look back, most of your lasting golf memories have been while you were playing with friends. I know mine are.

• Like 1

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

95% of the time when going to the course, I go alone, and most of those times I end up playing alone. Once in a while I am paired up with someone else. I enjoy both playing alone and playing with others. I don't have many friends in my area that play golf. All my golf friends are from college, which is in a different state. I am starting to meet more folks at the club I joined, but when I go its generally not that busy so I go out on my own.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

I play most of my golf at my home club, so I'm pretty much always playing with friends.  If I'm travelling for something, I'll go to a course on my own, but my preference is to play with others.  How long does it take to hit 80-some shots, 30 minutes tops?  Even in an extremely quick round, solo in a cart, there's a total of an hour or two of between shot time, I prefer to use that time making a new friend.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I don't mind playing alone or with randoms but my preference is to play with at least one of the boys. I only go alone if I'm having major withdrawals and no one else can make it to the course

Hey yungkory, I’m totally with you on having major withdrawals and simply ready to go out alone and see who I end up being grouped with...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

In my  :callaway-small: 2018 Org14 Cart Bag I have:

:callaway-small: Custom Big Bertha 2014 10.5°, Mitsubishi Rayon FUBUKI zt 60-R

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Fairway 3W 15° & 5W 18°, Project X Even Flow 65-R

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 20° (-1° set to 19°), Fujikura Speeder 865 R

:callaway-small: 2019 Big Bertha 4-PW, AW, UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460 Graphite

:callaway-small: 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56/14

:odyssey-small: 330M Metal X Milled, weighted steel shaft, cut down to 30 inches, GP Tour SNSR grip

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft Yellow, Triple Track, Truvis or Supersoft

I play in golf leagues and with friends. I have no issues playing solo on Sunday mornings which is typical for me. My only concern is when I finally get a hole in one there is someone around to see it! I don't know of anything worse. The shot of your life and all you can do is pat yourself on the back. If you look back, most of your lasting golf memories have been while you were playing with friends. I know mine are.

Hey Tom, I’m totally with you on the Hole-in-one issue when playing alone!

However since I tend to play at muni’s and don’t have a home course, most courses would rather group singles or doubles together with other singles or doubles to make up as many 4somes as possible...

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 20° (-1° set to 19°), Fujikura Speeder 865 R

:odyssey-small: 330M Metal X Milled, weighted steel shaft, cut down to 30 inches, GP Tour SNSR grip

I love playing with friends, but it's not often they can get out at the same time as me so I started going out on my own a lot. I'd say about 90% of the time I get paired up with randoms, but every now and then I end up solo and I must say I've come to absolutely love it! It's really nice to just be out on a course, surrounded by nature, all alone, and not have to make conversation with anyone or think about people watching your shots, etc. It lets me get in a much more zen like flow state and I've honestly played the best rounds of my life on my own. I also like that if I'm not interested in playing for a score that day, I can treat it like a practice round and use the course as a giant practice facility. Want to hit multiple balls off the tee? Go for it. Want to hit different approach shots into the green as you're walking up? Go for it. Obviously only if you're not slowing anyone down, but being able to practice on an actual course is such a huge luxury since 99% of my practice ends up being on a range or practice greens. I wish I got more opportunities to play solo. 

• Like 1

I love playing with friends, but it's not often they can get out at the same time as me so I started going out on my own a lot. I'd say about 90% of the time I get paired up with randoms, but every now and then I end up solo and I must say I've come to absolutely love it! It's really nice to just be out on a course, surrounded by nature, all alone, and not have to make conversation with anyone or think about people watching your shots, etc. It lets me get in a much more zen like flow state and I've honestly played the best rounds of my life on my own. I also like that if I'm not interested in playing for a score that day, I can treat it like a practice round and use the course as a giant practice facility. Want to hit multiple balls off the tee? Go for it. Want to hit different approach shots into the green as you're walking up? Go for it. Obviously only if you're not slowing anyone down, but being able to practice on an actual course is such a huge luxury since 99% of my practice ends up being on a range or practice greens. I wish I got more opportunities to play solo. 

Yeah it always feels a little awkward to be like hey Is want to take a quick drop here and hit this approach when you get paired up with some people. I feel much better about doing some practice shots when It’s just me or just me and one of my friends who would also play some practice shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

I prefer solo now as I like to play ready golf first thing in the morning (Mondays) when I am first off the tee. I like to beat the heat, humidity crows and slow play. At times I will be partnered up with others and usually it is ok, if they like to play more than talk and play ready golf.

I used to always play with a 4 some after work and it was fun for a few years but the focus was on being with friends and no on golfing, different but fun.

I used to go with my next door neighbor after work and in day on Weekends but he likes to play when it is really hot and I do not, not built that way I can take the cold not the heat he is the opposite.

Of course work golf outings and company golf days are 4 somes and they are fun.

• Like 1

I was worried about playing alone for some reason and after doing it once I found I enjoyed it. It's nice because it was so quiet. Also, time and setting permitting you can take a bit of extra time to get some more practice and take a few extra shots. That why I enjoy golfing by myself every now and then, I get to practice in a more real situation.

That being said, I enjoy playing with others a lot more. I'm fortunate enough to have my brother nearby who also plays, so I'm pretty much playing with him every time, which is super fun. A couple of times we have been paired up with someone else which I really like because you get to meet someone new. I'm not a people person, but I think I am a golf people person.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, digitaltexan said:

Hey Tom, I’m totally with you on the Hole-in-one issue when playing alone!

However since I tend to play at muni’s and don’t have a home course, most courses would rather group singles or doubles together with other singles or doubles to make up as many 4somes as possible...

Ok I'm spoiled. I belong to a private club. Sunday mornings I have the course to myself. Around 12:30 / 1:00 people start filtering in. So here's the kicker. My wife is on the club management staff so it comes with free membership. I'm there at least one a week about 40 weeks out of the year.  18 holes in 2 -1/2 hours. A 6 hour round on a muni kills me!

On 4/23/2020 at 5:36 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Ok I'm spoiled. I belong to a private club. Sunday mornings I have the course to myself. Around 12:30 / 1:00 people start filtering in. So here's the kicker. My wife is on the club management staff so it comes with free membership. I'm there at least one a week about 40 weeks out of the year.  18 holes in 2 -1/2 hours. A 6 hour round on a muni kills me!

Wow free membership to a private club... oh boy, that's the life!

On 4/23/2020 at 3:35 PM, jnharvey44 said:

I was worried about playing alone for some reason and after doing it once I found I enjoyed it. It's nice because it was so quiet. Also, time and setting permitting you can take a bit of extra time to get some more practice and take a few extra shots. That why I enjoy golfing by myself every now and then, I get to practice in a more real situation.

That being said, I enjoy playing with others a lot more. I'm fortunate enough to have my brother nearby who also plays, so I'm pretty much playing with him every time, which is super fun. A couple of times we have been paired up with someone else which I really like because you get to meet someone new. I'm not a people person, but I think I am a golf people person.

Hey jnharvey44, I don't know why I've got such a apprehension about playing solo. I guess, because I play so sparingly most of my rounds end up just being a practice round, and if I were to be grouped with some guys that play fast and accurate, I would end up upsetting some of them. Like you, I'm not that much of a people person, but I'm definitely a golf people person!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, digitaltexan said:

Wow free membership to a private club... oh boy, that's the life!

It gets better, I'm in Sales. I get to take customers out all the time all over the country. My company also sends me to most of our customers charity golf events. I think I play over 60 rounds a year and maybe pay for 4 rounds. Did I mention I'm spoiled. Sorry guys. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I totally get it. I actually didn't like it at first.

I was once paired with a guy who qualified for the European Tour before he shattered his shoulder. He was incredible, meanwhile I would have to play the round of my life just to break 90. I ended up loving playing with him. He was so good, but very understanding that not everyone is good. He even helped me out after saying, "I noticed something, but I don't want to step on your toes." He was so nice and he was great to talk to. I loved it. I like to think of it as getting to know someone. Everyone I've played with is just happy to golf.

Hey jnharvey44, I don't know why I've got such a apprehension about playing solo. I guess, because I play so sparingly most of my rounds end up just being a practice round, and if I were to be grouped with some guys that play fast and accurate, I would end up upsetting some of them. Like you, I'm not that much of a people person, but I'm definitely a golf people person!

A private club that is dead on sunday mornings? That's crazy. I caddied for years and Sunday was one of the days you could loop 36 holes. The usual Sunday morning mens, then couples play started at 11.

Take Dead Aim