Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

G410 Clubhead Weights Experiment

Shapotomous

I have an experiment coming up with the club head weight on my G410.  It currently has the 14g weight on it that gives it a D5.5 swingweight.  In warmer weather I play it in the fade position and colder weather when i am way less flexible I play it in the draw spot.  Without the 14g it has a C5 swingweight.  

I ordered a few lighter weights, (2) 3.5g and (1) 6g that I want to try to see how the driver performs at a lighter swingweight, maybe around a D1.  The D1 matches the G10 driver(s) i played for many years up to the recent switch to the G410.  I could shape the flight of the G10 better than I can with the G410 and am wondering if it is swing weight related or due to the stability built into the head.  I like the added distance I get with the G410 and don't plan on going back since I hit it generally very well but I don't mind trying to tweak it either.  

They are stuck in a USPS hub for the last 5 days about 1.5 hours from here  😬 but when they get here I plan to try a combination of the weights in different spots and compare the feel and ball flight data on a simulator before taking it out into the real world. 

Has anyone tried something similar with a G410 or other adjustable weight driver head and care to share their observations?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I haven't tried it, but I've also been thinking about it. I'll be waiting to hear how it works for you!

I also have a G410. I can see the shaft model in your sig line, but what length are you playing to get it to D5.5? My driver, at 45", only comes to D1 (with the stock 14g weight).

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

My driver length is also 45", I didn't weigh it but the specs for the shaft say its 69g.  What shaft do you have in the driver and what is its weight?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 1/23/2021 at 8:40 AM, Siamese Moose said:

I haven't tried it, but I've also been thinking about it. I'll be waiting to hear how it works for you!

I also have a G410. I can see the shaft model in your sig line, but what length are you playing to get it to D5.5? My driver, at 45", only comes to D1 (with the stock 14g weight).

1 hour ago, Siamese Moose said:

I have an Aldila NV 2KXV Orange in stiff, listed at 65 grams.

I wonder what causes the big difference in swingweight then?  D5 to D1 is quite a difference when the clubheads should be the same and the your overall shaft weight is lighter than mine.  I am pretty sure my scale is accurate as I have measured other clubs and they came up the same as a couple other scales.  

I got out the spousal units G410+ (hers is a 10.5* - mine is also a 410+ but 9*) and her swingweight with the 14g is D4, she has a 75g Evenflow shaft & plays about 1/4" shorter than mine.  With her usual 12g weight it is a D2.5.  Mine is not a digital scale so measuring the .5's on it is a little iffy.

If I had a food scale like @SirShanksalot "borrows" from his wife I could get a good head weight measurement on them!  😄

I did some comparison weighing last night between the two G410+ clubs and the heads seem to weigh the same, a little over 200g. 

The scale I am using is an older golfworks SW scale with the weight scale on the front of it.  It is a balance scale with the sliding weight, so it's not super accurate but is good for comparing weights.

The Accra shaft / Tour Velvet grip combo on mine is about 15g lighter than the Evenflow Black 75g 5.5 shaft / Control Core grip on hers. 

When I switched weights putting my 14g with the Evenflow club the resulting SW was D4 and with the 12g in the Accra club was also a D4.  

I did some comparison weighing last night between the two G410+ clubs and the heads seem to weigh the same, a little over 200g. 
The scale I am using is an older golfworks SW scale with the weight scale on the front of it.  It is a balance scale with the sliding weight, so it's not super accurate but is good for comparing weights.
The Accra / Tour Velvet shaft / grip combo on mine is about 15g lighter than the Evenflow Black 75g 5.5 / Core Control on hers. 
When I switched weights putting my 14g with the Evenflow club the resulting SW was D4 and with the 12g in the Accra club was also a D4.  

Sorry, didn’t read the while thread just skimmed. There are multiple things that impact swingweight. I se that you are switching shafts and weights. Head and grips weights as you discuss. Additionally Shaft weight and balance point will influence swing weight.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

44 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

The Accra / Tour Velvet shaft / grip combo on mine is about 15g lighter than the Evenflow Black 75g 5.5 / Core Control on hers. 

I am wondering with cnsoil's comments and seeing the core control in the Evenflow, is this a counter balanced version of this shaft, I have not heard of it and a quick google didn't turn anything up. Ping is big on the counter balanced shaft (the stock shaft always is) to help balance the higher head weight without getting the swing weight too high.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Sorry, didn’t read the while thread just skimmed. There are multiple things that impact swingweight. I se that you are switching shafts and weights. Head and grips weights as you discuss. Additionally Shaft weight and balance point will influence swing weight.

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

I am wondering with cnsoil's comments and seeing the core control in the Evenflow, is this a counter balanced version of this shaft, I have not heard of it and a quick google didn't turn anything up. Ping is big on the counter balanced shaft (the stock shaft always is) to help balance the higher head weight without getting the swing weight too high.

I edited the other post to be more clear about the shaft and grip combo's.  I don't believe the Proj X Evenflow Black is a counter balanced shaft.  Although that is something I wouldn't mind trying at some point, I have been watching for the right used Nemesys shaft to show up for sale somewhere.  

I edited the other post to be more clear about the shaft and grip combo's.  I don't believe the Proj X Evenflow Black is a counter balanced shaft.  Although that is something I wouldn't mind trying at some point, I have been watching for the right used Nemesys shaft to show up for sale somewhere.  

It isn’t even about counterbalance. Shafts have different balance points and that will cause swing weight variances. For example the KBS TD wood shafts tend to have higher swing weights than other shafts at the same weight an length.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hello everybody,
I am also considering using new weights in my Ping G410 Driver, 5 Wood and Hybrid. These come as standard in 14g in the driver, 
7g in the wood and 10g in the hybrid.
Maybe someone here knows about swing weights etc. and can tell me what changes I can expect with heavier club heads.
I also change Driver shaft from standard Ping Alta stiff to Hrzdus Smoke Black 5.5 (tipped to 44 1/2 inch)
Thank you in advance!
Edited by DanTheMan258

Still waiting for the weights....pun intended.  They have been in the DC area for over a week now, went from the Hyattsville hub to Capitol Heights hub.  They have been only 1.5 hours away ....... for the last 8 days!

Update....The wait for the weights has ended....they were in the mailbox today....I guess the tracking info I saw this morning was a little out of date!  I'll play around with them this evening to see what swing weights each combo gives and get the simulator session scheduled.

I did some swapping and with the G410+ using the Accra shaft and Tour Velvet plus grip the swing weight for the different driver weights are:

3.5g - C7

6g - C9

(2) 3.5g;s - D0

6g + 3.5g - D2

6g _(2)3.5g - D4

14g - D5.5

I have a sim session set up for Friday to see what the data looks like for a few of these combo's.

Had to postpone the sim session, they guy that works there that was going to help me with it couldn't be there today.   😒

Had a fun simulator session today playing with the weights and then the loft of the G410+ to optimize the swing as it is now.  I started with the 14g weight which is what I have been playing and ended with a 6g and 3.5g weight in draw and mid spots. 

The ss increased about 3.5mph with the weight change.  I experimented with the loft setting and a +1 on the 9* head to get a little better launch angle improved the carry distance.  I went from 238 walking in the door to 250 walking out.  Overall  it was a worthwhile experiment for me.  My spin rate is about 2600.  So now I am wondering if I could possibly find a G410 LST 10.5* to try out?!?!?!   😆

• 3 months later...

An update that illustrates not all optimization happens on a simulator for me.   As the weather warmed up and the body loosened up from its February form and I got some course experience a change was needed. 

I moved the loft back to the stock 9* setting and moved the 6g weight to the 'fade' position from the 'draw' spot on the head.  The 3.5g is still in the center spot. 

The +1 setting brought a left side miss into play which I wasn't enjoying.  I guess I wasn't re-squaring the face at address and it showed in ball flight.  Entering a few rounds into The Grint with the fairway miss info it was easy to see the pattern  I am getting plenty of distance (a couple 280+ drives per round when I flush them) so the added loft isn't necessary for carry.  I am still liking the pair of lighter club head weights versus the single 14g weight that came with the club.