Jump to content
Testers Wanted: Star Grips! ×

Best premium golf ball to lower high launch and high flight


Recommended Posts

Played with my son recently and noticed that he launches all his shots very high. He hits it a good distance but his high ball flight is really affected by wind and his fade shots move around too much. Looking for any recommendations on a low launching and lower flighted premium golf ball. Just changed the weights in his driver to the forward position to lower his driver trajectory to see if that helps but his new Callaway Apex irons are really flying high! Someone recommended AVX as a possibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AVX will be lowest in launch and spin. Prov1 is a good option that fits between avx and prov1x

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zooter999 said:

Played with my son recently and noticed that he launches all his shots very high. He hits it a good distance but his high ball flight is really affected by wind and his fade shots move around too much. Looking for any recommendations on a low launching and lower flighted premium golf ball. Just changed the weights in his driver to the forward position to lower his driver trajectory to see if that helps but his new Callaway Apex irons are really flying high! Someone recommended AVX as a possibility.

I'd recommend having a golf instructor look at his swing.   While a ball may have some influence, it's more likely his swing that is the major contributing factor.  Angle of attack, effective dynamic loft, and other variables will have much more influence on trajectory than what ball he's using.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

 

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always been a high-launch, high-spin guy. (I grew up in Houston with tall pines and not much wind...) I've been gaming the Z-Star XV as it's really stable in the wind, but it's definitely a high-launch ball and I'll probably switch to the standard Z-Star with the upcoming BOGO sale from Srixon (fingers crossed it's happening this year at least).

Other options are, as mentioned, both the AVX and the ProV1 (depending on his spin preferences) as well as the Maxfli Tour and the Mizuno RB Tour, again depending on his spin needs. And allegedly the Volvik S4 is about the lowest-launch/lowest-spin combo you can get, but I'm not playing a Volvik. YMMV.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour

Ball: ProV1x Left Dash, Chromesoft X LS
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on the data in the ball labs so far, the premium balls with a low launch profile are the Bridgestone Tour BX and Wilson Staff Model. Check those out maybe.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 4:38 PM, CarlH said:

I'd recommend having a golf instructor look at his swing.   While a ball may have some influence, it's more likely his swing that is the major contributing factor.  Angle of attack, effective dynamic loft, and other variables will have much more influence on trajectory than what ball he's using.

I second this. A different golf ball may be able to adjust launch by a degree or so, it won’t be noticeable to anyone without a tour card. A pro, particularly one that uses video and/or 3D recording would alter ball flight significantly more than any ball will. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would consider the AVX, Bridgestone BX or the Z-Star

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KOMalley8313 said:

I second this. A different golf ball may be able to adjust launch by a degree or so, it won’t be noticeable to anyone without a tour card. A pro, particularly one that uses video and/or 3D recording would alter ball flight significantly more than any ball will. 

I disagree. I’ve seen plenty of people of varying skills and swing speeds change balls and have significant better results. Several guys I played with in a regular group switched to q star, avx and similar balls and have less side to side dispersion and lower their ball flight because of spin.

My brother switched to avx and hit the ball lower and straighter.

A buddy who is near scratch with high swing speed hits moon balls with lots of spin used avx and bridgestone rx and significantly reduced spin and height 

Also seen some guys who are low swing speed play a firmer ball like the Prov1x pickup height and distance

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Also seen some guys who are low swing speed play a firmer ball like the Prov1x pickup height and distance

I resemble that - and why my fitter recommended V1X 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I disagree. I’ve seen plenty of people of varying skills and swing speeds change balls and have significant better results. Several guys I played with in a regular group switched to q star, avx and similar balls and have less side to side dispersion and lower their ball flight because of spin.

My brother switched to avx and hit the ball lower and straighter.

A buddy who is near scratch with high swing speed hits moon balls with lots of spin used avx and bridgestone rx and significantly reduced spin and height 

Also seen some guys who are low swing speed play a firmer ball like the Prov1x pickup height and distance

I second this. Ive seen noticeably different ball flights, in my regular group, from ball changes. 7-15 handicaps. 

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 12:58 PM, Zooter999 said:

Played with my son recently and noticed that he launches all his shots very high. He hits it a good distance but his high ball flight is really affected by wind and his fade shots move around too much. Looking for any recommendations on a low launching and lower flighted premium golf ball. Just changed the weights in his driver to the forward position to lower his driver trajectory to see if that helps but his new Callaway Apex irons are really flying high! Someone recommended AVX as a possibility.

Dad???

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

For the people talking AVX, keep in mind the launch and spin characteristics are in relation to the other Titleist balls on the market and not the market overall....

the AVX spin is higher than the new TP5X across multiple testing groups and there are other balls tested that are lower spinning

 

but keep in mind its all relative to HIS SWING......in my testing of 6 different balls this spring and now into summer, i am finding many of the tests and marketing i see all over the interweb does not apply to me personally.....for example, the 2021 V1X is highly recommended and tests very well across the industry......doesnt ork for me....the V1 works much better...... u just have to find the ball that works for u...

Golf is cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

I have always had a high-penetrating ballflight with all my clubs with more carry. My SS is around 108-112.

Titleist AVX fit my game perfectly. Best ball I have ever played. It produces a beautiful ball flight that is long as hell. It feels great off the driver and the putter. Excellent control. I have no problem shaping the ball if I wanted to. I have no problem putting backspin on the ball so there is no issue there. 

Driver: TaylorMade SIM2 driver with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 wood: Taylormade SIM2 Max Driver with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

3 iron: Taylormade Sim UDI Diamana shaft

4-PW: Taylormade P790 Dynamic gold 105 VSS

GW: Cleveland CBX 50*

SW/LW: Taylormade MG3 Raw 54* and 58*

Putter: Odyssey 2 ball Ten Triple Track

Ball: Titleist AVX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...