Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I think that it would be good for others who might be on the fence about doing this to see what kind of success rate.. or not, people are having. As the results are coming in, we can see a live graph. 

It would look something like this

Tell us about your OttoPhlex experience

° Gained noticeable distance 

° Better control

° More confidence

° Game changer! Gained distance, Confidence, AND control!

°  Tried it, but it's not for me

° Still tinkering but hopeful

Something like this

Let me think on this a bit and I'll send you a private message or whatever they're called here, ok?

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

5 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I think that it would be good for others who might be on the fence about doing this to see what kind of success rate.. or not, people are having. As the results are coming in, we can see a live graph. 

° Better control

° More confidence

Something like this

You want to ask certain questions and then ask for any random personal comments at the end?

My example..

Ladies/O-ph Shaft Hack.               Gamer Driver 

What Brand shaft?                            " "

Flex?                                                     " "

Total weight?

Head weight?

Grip weight?

Dry Shaft only weight?

Swing weight?

Playing shaft length? Etc Etc...

Summary about your experience, was it a learning and productive process? Maybe keep it as short as possible, I don't do surveys that take too long...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I've been following this topic and was linterested in giving this a try.

I was on Golfworks to order the PLB but never order just a shaft before and a bit confused on the butt and tip trimming section and playing length by just ordering the shaft. Currently I play a Tsi3 at 45in length and would like to try the PLB at that as well. I assume I would have to order the adapter for the Tsi3 myself?

Driver- Tsi3

Irons- Srixon Zx5

Wedges- Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter- Sik 

On Valuegolf (where I got my GPLB) you can get it installed with adapter and grip - here Plug and Play Golf Shafts with Adapters & Grip | Value Golf but to me they are asking too much money to do that. I just got the shaft and the raw length is only 46". 

image.png.4770f8e848a43103a757a5272b18576a.png

The trim code on the 45 gram GPLB is W1 which means butt trim to length only. So there is no tipping to be done under standard conditions:

image.png.f3b0b0dbb52b418b89d155014dc30b78.png

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

26 minutes ago, qLofty said:

I've been following this topic and was linterested in giving this a try.

I was on Golfworks to order the PLB but never order just a shaft before and a bit confused on the butt and tip trimming section and playing length by just ordering the shaft. Currently I play a Tsi3 at 45in length and would like to try the PLB at that as well. I assume I would have to order the adapter for the Tsi3 myself?

@vandylandprovided a great lead but you can also order the same setup from Golfworks. You can request a tip install and playing length cut in the order notes. Not sure of the cost comparison to Value Golf so you may just want to check on that. 

Not sure where you are in the world but if you're near a Golf Galaxy, they carry the PLB in the store. You might be able to source a tip from eBay for half the cost and just have GG build the shaft. 

#options 😁

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

21 hours ago, azstu324 said:

° Better control

° More confidence

Something like this

Have not looked at it, but I believe Google has a free to use survey tool (yes some people hate them but the "applets" they publish on the web are functional and easy to use imho).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Still not hit any balls with the Mizuno Widex'll clubs it's either rain or my hip is too painful, but I've done some swing weight testing with the woods and irons. So...

Sand C3

6 iron C6

4 iron C6

5 wood C5

3 wood C5

Driver C4... 

Sand iron has a fat arthritic grip, the other 5 grips are Mizuno black ladies grips that I need to build up to suit my hands. I'm going to need lead tape or can anyone suggest something else, I will play a few rounds before I change them in any way...

16710568742761030874135.jpg

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

azstu324 - I've looked across 40+ page and maybe missed the specs. 

What weights do you have in the head?   (and positions - would like to use as a starting point)

Also - when you trimmed shaft down to 45 - did you take any off the tip?

Just received my PXG driver - now off to get the GPLB  !!!

Thanks, Scott

Driver - Mizuno JPX 900 - 661 stiff shaft
Irons - 4-PW Mizuno MP18SC - KBS C-Taper stiff
Wedges - Titleist SM7 50 F grind 8 ,54 S grind,58 D grind (all tour chrome)
Lob - Callaway 60 PM grind black
Putter - Odyssey Red Ball

15 minutes ago, srberry said:

azstu324 - I've looked across 40+ page and maybe missed the specs. 

What weights do you have in the head?   (and positions - would like to use as a starting point)

Also - when you trimmed shaft down to 45 - did you take any off the tip?

Just received my PXG driver - now off to get the GPLB  !!!

Thanks, Scott

First off, congrats and thank you for getting through the whole thread😜. It's a beast! 

I ended up picking up a 10g weight to swap out one of the 7.5g weights. So my configuration is 2.5g heel, 7.5g back, 10g toe. My swing is pretty heavy in to out so with a fade-bias weight setting, loft cranked to 7.5°, and the flat lie setting, I'm able to keep any snap hooks out of play, and still don't have any fear of flaring right as long as I keep my tempo clean. 

As for the shaft, I knew it was a butt trim only BUT I still clipped 1/2" off the tip to possibly tighten up the torque a hair. So far I wouldn't do it differently. 

Also here are some of the weigh-in #'s from when I put it all together. Hopefully this helps. 

1001221034.jpg.f7a3835e97c85b271d9859608e5aaf6a.jpg

1001221034b.jpg.7c34f911307d79ba971b1a1909b6530f.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Still not hit any balls with the Mizuno Widex'll clubs it's either rain or my hip is too painful, but I've done some swing weight testing with the woods and irons. So...

Sand C3

6 iron C6

4 iron C6

5 wood C5

3 wood C5

Driver C4... 

Sand iron has a fat arthritic grip, the other 5 grips are Mizuno black ladies grips that I need to build up to suit my hands. I'm going to need lead tape or can anyone suggest something else, I will play a few rounds before I change them in any way...

16710568742761030874135.jpg

Measure the playing lengths of each club.  Are you able to remove and weigh one of the grips and then reinstall it?

I have a concern that the swing weights are so light that you could perhaps have trouble "feeling the head" as you swing the club.

Once you get an accurate weight of the grips on the clubs the "fix" is pretty simple, but we need to know that weight to get a solution to the equation.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

1 hour ago, Bobbers said:

Measure the playing lengths of each club.  Are you able to remove and weigh one of the grips and then reinstall it?

I have a concern that the swing weights are so light that you could perhaps have trouble "feeling the head" as you swing the club.

Once you get an accurate weight of the grips on the clubs the "fix" is pretty simple, but we need to know that weight to get a solution to the equation.

Mizuno grip is 40grams, the arthritic grip is a whopping 67grams. Do you know what these numbers on the 4iron butt mean? I see the date 12/01/03 I'm guessing 03 as online these were launched in March 2004, no idea what the other numbers mean?

IMG_20221215_161825.jpg

IMG_20221215_162752.jpg

Sorry forgot playing length,

Sand iron 35.25, 6 iron 37, 4 iron 38, ..

5 wood 42, 3 wood 42.5, driver 43.5.

Thanks @Bobbers looks like half inch difference?

10 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Sorry forgot playing length,

Sand iron 35.25, 6 iron 37, 4 iron 38, ..

5 wood 42, 3 wood 42.5, driver 43.5.

Thanks @Bobbers looks like half inch difference?

I'm going to round up a tad and say there's a 28 gram difference between grips.  Which means that if you simply installed the new grips on the existing clubs you'd be 7 swing weight points lighter than they are currently.

So the new grips on the existing clubs would give you swing weights of:

SW  B6

6 iron  B9

4 iron  B9

5 wood  B8

3 wood  B8

Driver  B7

Every 1/8 inch you EXTEND the length of the clubs is going to INCREASE the swing weight by 1 point.

So, if I were working with these clubs I'd be extending them by the following lengths and then regripping.  I'd first use a thin stick inserted into the new grip to get an internal length of the grip.  Then I'd measure the external length of the grip to see how much length the grip "cap" contributes to overall length.

If the inside measure of the grip is 10 inches and the external length is 10 3/8 inches I have to subract that 3/8 inch from the amount of the extension so the finished club length will hit my swing weight target. 

With all that in mind my goal would be to EXTEND the length of the clubs as follows in order to get a D0 swing weight:

6 iron:  1 3/8 inches

4 iron:  1 3/8 inches

5 wood:  1 1/2 inches

3 wood:  1 1/2 inches

Driver: 1 5/8 inches

Most people want their SW to be a wee bit heavier so if I wanted, for example, a D2 swing weight on that club I'd extend it 2 full inches.  If you want to keep it at D0 for a target you'd extend it 1 3/4 inches.

If you used a lighter grip, say a more traditional 50 gram weight the amount of extension would be less.

I hope this makes sense and is somewhat helpful, Bang.

Edited by Bobbers

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

11 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Mizuno grip is 40grams, the arthritic grip is a whopping 67grams. Do you know what these numbers on the 4iron butt mean? I see the date 12/01/03 I'm guessing 03 as online these were launched in March 2004, no idea what the other numbers mean?

IMG_20221215_161825.jpg

IMG_20221215_162752.jpg

The numbers/letters on the butt of the shaft are typically internal reference numbers to denote batch numbers, which machine produced the shaft, etc., etc. and aren't necessarily meant to make sense to anyone outside the manufacturer. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

5 hours ago, Bobbers said:

I'm going to round up a tad and say there's a 28 gram difference between grips.  Which means that if you simply installed the new grips on the existing clubs you'd be 7 swing weight points lighter than they are currently.

SW  B6

6 iron  B9

4 iron  B9

5 wood  B8

3 wood  B8

Driver  B7

Every 1/8 inch you EXTEND the length of the clubs is going to INCREASE the swing weight by 1 point.

So, if I were working with these clubs I'd be extending them by the following lengths and then regripping.  I'd first use a thin stick inserted into the new grip to get an internal length of the grip.  Then I'd measure the external length of the grip to see how much length the grip "cap" contributes to overall length.

If the inside measure of the grip is 10 inches and the external length is 10 3/8 inches I have to subract that 3/8 inch from the amount of the extension so the finished club length will hit my swing weight target. 

With all that in mind my goal would be to EXTEND the length of the clubs as follows in order to get a D0 swing weight:

Most people want their SW to be a wee bit heavier so if I wanted, for example, a D2 swing weight on that club I'd extend it 2 full inches.  If you want to keep it at D0 for a target you'd extend it 1 3/4 inches.

If you used a lighter grip, say a more traditional 50 gram weight the amount of extension would be less.

Awesome @Bobbers I hadn't considered shaft extension, I've measured a Nickent 6dx 6iron and it's 39.25 inches which is 2.25 inches longer wow.  My first thought is what about the lie angle, I've just picked up a 6iron and held it with my pinkie off the grip and the heel is digging into the ground, could I bend the hosel enough to get to 1deg flat lie? After I've played a round or 3 I could put the 4iron shaft in the 6iron head, something for me to try during Xmas...

Any advice on how to butt trim a shaft? This thread has increased my interest in working on my own club builds. I have been regripping my clubs for years but have started accumulating the necessary tools to fully build a club. I do not currently own a miter saw. Are there alternative methods you guys have used/ would suggest? I just installed a -2 degree adaptor on my GPLB. The shaft came untrimmed though, so I need to take a bit off prior to getting it weighted correctly and installing the grip. Thanks for the help!

GHIN 7.8

D Callaway Epic Flash subzero 10.5 down to 9.5

3W Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 14.5

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

P Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport 2.0 Select

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/

17 minutes ago, carter18 said:

Any advice on how to butt trim a shaft? This thread has increased my interest in working on my own club builds. I have been regripping my clubs for years but have started accumulating the necessary tools to fully build a club. I do not currently own a miter saw. Are there alternative methods you guys have used/ would suggest? I just installed a -2 degree adaptor on my GPLB. The shaft came untrimmed though, so I need to take a bit off prior to getting it weighted correctly and installing the grip. Thanks for the help!

I've been using a handheld jigsaw for as long as I can remember. This year I finally splurged and got a cordless to add to my Ryobi lineup. For the past few years I've been using a $20 B&D that I got from Walmart and it's worked just fine. You will want to put a couple wraps of masking tape around the area that you're cutting to help keep any bits from fraying off. You'll also want a fine-tooth saw bit. I usually run a pass half way through, back it out, turn the shaft 1/4 and then finish the cut. 

You'll also want some medium to fine grit sandpaper 250+ grit just to sand the but to a flat finish. I find that 250 grit is a really good multi purpose grit to have around. It's good for tip prepping and cleaning out hosels, etc. I just put it on a flat surface, and run the top of the but end back and forth about 10 times. 

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

22 minutes ago, carter18 said:

Rod Saw

https://www.hirekogolf.com/the-nitty-gritty-to-cutting-graphite-golf-shafts-efficiently

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

40 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I've been using a handheld jigsaw for as long as I can remember. This year I finally splurged and got a cordless to add to my Ryobi lineup. For the past few years I've been using a $20 B&D that I got from Walmart and it's worked just fine. You will want to put a couple wraps of masking tape around the area that you're cutting to help keep any bits from fraying off. You'll also want a fine-tooth saw bit. I usually run a pass half way through, back it out, turn the shaft 1/4 and then finish the cut. 

You'll also want some medium to fine grit sandpaper 250+ grit just to sand the but to a flat finish. I find that 250 grit is a really good multi purpose grit to have around. It's good for tip prepping and cleaning out hosels, etc. I just put it on a flat surface, and run the top of the but end back and forth about 10 times. 

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful 

Thanks so much sir!

GHIN 7.8

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/

GHIN 7.8

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

A diamond grit hacksaw blade works fine.  My recommendation is to wrap some tape around the area where you intend to cut, cut slowly and let the grit do the work as opposed to  you "leaning into it", make your cut, remove tape and voila.

Depending on what gplb you bought it might, if it's the 45 gram version, be a butt trim only so leave the tip alone.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

10 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

A diamond grit hacksaw blade works fine.  My recommendation is to wrap some tape around the area where you intend to cut, cut slowly and let the grit do the work as opposed to  you "leaning into it", make your cut, remove tape and voila.

Depending on what gplb you bought it might, if it's the 45 gram version, be a butt trim only so leave the tip alone.

Thanks sir. You are always a wealth of knowledge. This thread has been so much fun! I definitely have caught the tinkering bug!

GHIN 7.8

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

3 hours ago, carter18 said:

Thanks sir. You are always a wealth of knowledge. This thread has been so much fun! I definitely have caught the tinkering bug!

I'm tempted to offer an apology for helping you catch the tinkering bug...😁

In all seriousness, if I can be of any assistance just give a yell, happy to oblige.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

4 hours ago, carter18 said:

Once you figure out the main base techniques i.e. cutting, cleaning, prepping, gluing, etc, it's a load of fun and really not complicated at all. AND the only waiting you'll ever have to do is for glue to dry.. not for the 15 sets ahead of yours at the golf shop. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 12/16/2022 at 4:06 AM, Bobbers said:

SW  B6

6 iron  B9

4 iron  B9

5 wood  B8

3 wood  B8

Driver  B7

Ok bad weather here so not hit a ball as yet, BUT I checked the ladies shaft 6 iron length against the mp57 6iron and it's .75inch... see pics..

I'm confused and surprised of the .75 inch difference, I was expecting a much bigger gap..

What's it mean guy's?

IMG_20221217_140557.jpg

IMG_20221217_140410.jpg

IMG_20221217_140103.jpg

If the ladies shaft length for the 6 iron is 37" that's standard length for a ladies 6 iron graphite shaft and only 1/2" shorter than mens standard length. Why were you expecting a much larger gap? Those golf pride grips also have a big cap at the end of the grip, actual shaft length difference may be closer to 1/2" with the grips off.

Edited by AzRoger

1 hour ago, AzRoger said:

If the ladies shaft length for the 6 iron is 37" that's standard length for a ladies 6 iron graphite shaft and only 1/2" shorter than mens standard length. Why were you expecting a much larger gap? Those golf pride grips also have a big cap at the end of the grip, actual shaft length difference may be closer to 1/2" with the grips off.

Because @Bobbers suggested adding 1 3/8th inch to the shaft length to get swing weight of D0, bbut as I said before I want to hit them as is and then try the 4 iron shaft in the 6iron head and see what develops?

Edited by Bang60
Error

4 hours ago, AzRoger said:

OK, I guess I'm still confused though on exactly what you did to your clubs, sounds like you held off on adding 1 3/8" to the shaft for now and are just playing them at standard length. Is that correct?

I've done nothing as yet, the weather is crap here plus my left hip is not good. I've not decided what I'm going to do except I want to the least intrusive thing to the irons, I'm thinking extend the 6 iron shaft 1/2 inch at a time because it's the easiest and I'm not doing anything I can't undo if that's making any sense...

This is just an FYI .. from a Callaway custom shafts catalog .. the bottom half of the page has a handy chart for swing weight adjustments...

20221217_170059.jpg.a4d83d71c2c2a1638a6b9fa3c4f51585.jpg

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg