Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

9 minutes ago, MuniGolfer said:

Well, I think @azstu324 has found something truly great in the Maltby ul shaft, not that the other shafts have been slouches for me either. I FINALLY was able to get it out on the course. Sadly, it’s a course where I was only able to hit driver twice in 9 holes, but my two drives were 349 yards with a little breeze from behind and off the right, and 312 dead into said breeze teed down a touch. I seriously considered hitting driver on other holes I had no business doing so and would just have got myself into trouble. It was so much fun!

The combo with the new Callaway Chrome Tour ball is🔥. That ball barely moves directionally for me, off the driver. Just arrow straight. I think I found my gamer OP.

Now are you sure you don't just want to spend $800 for the real thing? 😜

Awesome!!

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

16 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Awesome!!

🤣 seriously! Maybe Maltby is part Korean? 😉

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

9 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

🤣 seriously! Maybe Maltby is part Korean? 😉

It doesn’t sound Korean. But maybe it’s Hidden Korean. 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

17 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

Well, I think @azstu324 has found something truly great in the Maltby ul shaft, not that the other shafts have been slouches for me either. I FINALLY was able to get it out on the course. Sadly, it’s a course where I was only able to hit driver twice in 9 holes, but my two drives were 349 yards with a little breeze from behind and off the right, and 312 dead into said breeze teed down a touch. I seriously considered hitting driver on other holes I had no business doing so and would just have got myself into trouble. It was so much fun!

The combo with the new Callaway Chrome Tour ball is🔥. That ball barely moves directionally for me, off the driver. Just arrow straight. I think I found my gamer OP.

17 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Awesome!!

Shoot if $800 gives me drives 349 yards arrow straight down the middle..... take my wallet!

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

1 minute ago, Nick_D said:

Shoot if $800 gives me drives 349 yards arrow straight down the middle..... take my wallet!

Yeahhh but.. if $45 can pretty much do the same thing..🤔.. 😜

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 4/21/2024 at 6:06 PM, HikingMike said:

My suspicion is that my unwitting partial Otto Phlex was causing me to have a harder time finding the fairway. With more flex, the club head can be a bit more inconsistent at the top of the swing, and it introduces more variability at the point of impact. This is right when I start the downswing which is just before the point of highest hand speed. It can make it more difficult to bring everything into the correct position in the end. 

This comes from talking with a couple fitters who ended up fitting me into stiff and X-stiff flex, and it would make sense. I may not have the consistency needed to keep this regular flex setup reliably in the fairway. I already have enough issue with occasional hooks. 

Now there may be better shafts for this kind of thing, like the Graffalloy mentioned. You guys know better than I. And the rumors make it sound like Autoflex itself has some kind of counter to the issue. 

I will say it may be the reason why I can hit my driver pretty high, actually higher than my 3 wood off the tee (despite 5.5 degree difference 😲), and no problem with distance on good shots. Though the spin may be hampering me some shots. 

It’s neat to learn this idea. Awesome thread. 

There are many here more well versed in this so please chime in... but my take on the OP is not just the flex but it is the shaft profile that is equally important. From earlier in the thread, it took the guys quite some time to dial in a handful of shafts that generally work for the concept. I have found with the right swing weight it helps you feel the club head more which leads me to be a bit more consistent at the top of the swing. I have personally found the shaft helps me be more consistent at the point of impact vs. my previous stock shaft... with a Ping G400 Max it was hard to think it could get more forgiving!

If you hit up on the ball you will have no issue launching the ball in the air, much higher than ideal in my opinion (and experience). Another component to this process is getting the right ball to play... maybe a lower launching ball to help counteract the high flight.

Last point regarding fitters/instructors... I took both my stock shaft and PLB to Trackman for a lesson. About midway through I switched to the PLB for a few swings to see how it compared. My instructor took a look at it and told me "you need to be very careful with that... that is a dangerous set up." He was hesitant to even let me swing it in the bay. Of course, to his surprise, I hit a few really well and told him he needed to try it... actually insisted he try it. He smacked 3 baby draws right down the middle and was left a bit speechless to be honest. Most of the better players & instructors that I know get comfortable in a set up (club manufacturer, ball, shaft, etc etc) and are hesitant to stray away, even for fun. I would be shocked to hear a fitter/teacher push anyone into a non-typical set up like this. 

Practical golf FTW!

1 hour ago, Iamsecond116 said:

There are many here more well versed in this so please chime in... but my take on the OP is not just the flex but it is the shaft profile that is equally important. From earlier in the thread, it took the guys quite some time to dial in a handful of shafts that generally work for the concept. I have found with the right swing weight it helps you feel the club head more which leads me to be a bit more consistent at the top of the swing. I have personally found the shaft helps me be more consistent at the point of impact vs. my previous stock shaft... with a Ping G400 Max it was hard to think it could get more forgiving!

If you hit up on the ball you will have no issue launching the ball in the air, much higher than ideal in my opinion (and experience). Another component to this process is getting the right ball to play... maybe a lower launching ball to help counteract the high flight.

Last point regarding fitters/instructors... I took both my stock shaft and PLB to Trackman for a lesson. About midway through I switched to the PLB for a few swings to see how it compared. My instructor took a look at it and told me "you need to be very careful with that... that is a dangerous set up." He was hesitant to even let me swing it in the bay. Of course, to his surprise, I hit a few really well and told him he needed to try it... actually insisted he try it. He smacked 3 baby draws right down the middle and was left a bit speechless to be honest. Most of the better players & instructors that I know get comfortable in a set up (club manufacturer, ball, shaft, etc etc) and are hesitant to stray away, even for fun. I would be shocked to hear a fitter/teacher push anyone into a non-typical set up like this. 

Awesome input, thanks! And really cool about your experience with an instructor and Trackman.

Yeah this definitely seems non-traditional... unorthodox. It wouldn't be in a normal "path" of a fitting session. It certainly makes it interesting. 

I do hit up on the ball with my driver, looks like 4-6 degrees Attack Angle on Trackman. And I have mostly played the Titleist AVX lately, which is lower flight (though I'm playing the Wilson Triad the last few rounds). But I'm working on getting a new driver setup, and that will surely have significant impact, probably a lot more than the ball.

Good point about the shaft profile being key. I guess I'll keep this idea in my back pocket. It's definitely a fun one.

Has anyone found success with the Accra FX 3 140 M1 or M2 (or 150)? I'm around a 10 handicap (29 years old) and average around 275 drives with my AD DI 6x (xtra stiff) on a Ping G430 LST (9 degree). Miss is a high right slice, happens maybe 1 or 2 times a round. 

I'd be interested in hearing others opinions of the M1 or M2 vs the M0. Are there any downsides to getting the m0 over the m1 or m2? Also what length are you playing the shaft at? My current gamer is 43.75 butt to adapter tip, but have historically played 44.5ish. I tend to like the shorter shaft for better control (fully cognizant I could of just gripped the club lower). I'm kind of considering the 140 m0 with my loft adjusted down between 7.5-8.5 (depending on trajectory and spin).

Edited by justl2003

19 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

Now you're going to have to tell us what your previous shaft flex was, what distance you were hitting, and most importantly, what kind of left/right did you have before this setup? Were you already mostly arrow straight? How much did the new Callaway ball do???? 

throw-me-a-59ccd8.jpg

1 hour ago, HikingMike said:

Now you're going to have to tell us what your previous shaft flex was, what distance you were hitting, and most importantly, what kind of left/right did you have before this setup? Were you already mostly arrow straight? How much did the new Callaway ball do???? 

throw-me-a-59ccd8.jpg

Below are launch monitor testing numbers from this fall and winter:

LaunchMonitor_TM.png.b1953c8b62d4943da060370bf4cf8e53.png

The Taylor Gamer is a Graphite Design TP-6x at 44.75". I switched it over to my G425 LST this winter, so the Ping numbers are with the same shaft. the Taylor Otto was the UST MPF A flex. I haven't hit the UST in the ping much, after I switched the tips, but what I have seen is the numbers were similar to the Taylormade (it's an old M5), but the dispersion was tighter with the Ping. With the Graphite Design, I generally hit a little fade, with my miss being a wipey slice. With the UST MPF, the ball flight has been straightish, and falling right, with the miss being a wipey fade. It just doesn't slice as much as the Graphite Design. All other shafts listed were tested in the M5.

Also, keep in mind, I am in Utah, playing at elevation, so I get a little more out of my swing speed than if I was a lower elevation. My on course average for the TM M5 with the UST Otto was 309 total. For the Ping with the UST was 304, granted that was winter conditions which can vary from swamp to rock solid. I had one that skewed that average because it bounded down a rock solid fairway to around 343. The Ping with the Graphite Design averaged 307, also winter conditions, but that is similar to my M5 numbers, but I had a tendency to spray that thing both ways at times. 

What I have seen with the Maltby is around 3 MPH average increase in clubhead speed, due to the lighter weight, and about 5-6 yards more than the UST. Also, the profile seems to be a good fit for me. I don't have to wait on it as much as the UST, but it feels like it smooths out my natural rhythm and I hit every club a little better after I take some swings with it. 

To your question about the Chrome Tour, those launch monitor averages are with a mix of ProV1s and ProV1x's. The on course averages are with a Taylormade TP5, as that was my gamer ball until I got selected for the Callaway testing. In the Callaway testing, I have noticed around 2-3 MPH average increase in ball speed over the previous generation TP5. I personally think that the Chrome Tour has a lot to do with the straighter ball flight. I can peel the Taylormade to the right really badly when I miss, but the lower spin of the Chrome Tour seems to be a good fit for that driver and shaft combo. It seems to be a good spin rate for my irons too. My irons, which are usually a baby draw, with a hook miss, are now pretty straight to just falling left with a draw miss. That 349 shot the other day did have a 5-7mph breeze, down and off the right, as well as some pretty crispy early season fairways. I did catch all of it, but I definitely got some help. I was honestly more impressed with the 313 into the breeze. That ball just fell right of my start line, which was probably just as much the breeze pushing up the spin as anything else. Range sessions seemed to show that the Maltby has a better dispersion than the UST as well. I want to do more testing also with the Chrome Tour X, as that had 1-2 mph more ball speed than the tour, I just wonder if the spin will be too high for me.

Edited by MuniGolfer

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

2 hours ago, justl2003 said:

Has anyone found success with the Accra FX 3 140 M1 or M2 (or 150)? I'm around a 10 handicap (29 years old) and average around 275 drives with my AD DI 6x (xtra stiff) on a Ping G430 LST (9 degree). Miss is a high right slice, happens maybe 1 or 2 times a round. 

I'd be interested in hearing others opinions of the M1 or M2 vs the M0. Are there any downsides to getting the m0 over the m1 or m2? Also what length are you playing the shaft at? My current gamer is 43.75 butt to adapter tip, but have historically played 44.5ish. I tend to like the shorter shaft for better control (fully cognizant I could of just gripped the club lower). I'm kind of considering the 140 m0 with my loft adjusted down between 7.5-8.5 (depending on trajectory and spin).

I have about the same swing speed as you, and I have had fantastic success with the M0, hitting up on the ball, a low spinning ball, and a low spin driver head lofted in the 8-9* range.  It plays in the 44.5=45" range.  I hit a few at the range last night that felt oh so good, and rocketed off the face.  Misses are not bad at all with this shaft, unless the swing is really poor.

I also tried an M2 in a 43.5" short-shafted Qi10LS setup, and had good success with that too.  It took some doing to get the swingweight in the correct range, but once I did, it worked really well.

I just put an M1 hybrid shaft in my 4 hybrid, and tried it last night, and loved it. It's early though.  If that continues to perform I am likely to move it to my 3W or 5W and see how it performs, as I don't need two driver setups.

I ordered a used M1 to try in a mini-driver setup too.  More to come on that.

Can you tell I absolutely love the Accra FX 3.0 140 range?  I do.  It's a fantastic shaft, and I find that the M0-M2 all work well in an OP setup.  Swingweight and a smooth transition are key.  The shaft is stable and has the profile needed for OP to work for me. 

Of course now I am dying to try the GX line.  Not going to do that for a good while, however.  Too much experimenting already going on with the FX!

Edited by IndyBonzo

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

On 4/10/2024 at 4:02 PM, MuniGolfer said:

I finally have been able to start testing the maltby. I might like it better than the UST MP5. The spin seems to have a smaller dispersion for the same speed potential. I can’t wait to get it out on the course. Also, the matte black shaft with the g425 head is 🔥. I want to play a round with each of them soon and see what is best on course.

i just need to get back to speed training. My cruising club speed has dropped from around 116 last year, to around 111. 

Which Maltby shaft and flex are you using?

30 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

I have about the same swing speed as you, and I have had fantastic success with the M0, hitting up on the ball, a low spinning ball, and a low spin driver head lofted in the 8-9* range.  It plays in the 44.5=45" range.  I hit a few at the range last night that felt oh so good, and rocketed off the face.  Misses are not bad at all with this shaft, unless the swing is really poor.

I also tried an M2 in a 43.5" short-shafted Qi10LS setup, and had good success with that too.  It took some doing to get the swingweight in the correct range, but once I did, it worked really well.

I just put an M1 hybrid shaft in my 4 hybrid, and tried it last night, and loved it. It's early though.  If that continues to perform I am likely to move it to my 3W or 5W and see how it performs, as I don't need two driver setups.

I ordered a used M1 to try in a mini-driver setup too.  More to come on that.

Can you tell I absolutely love the Accra FX 3.0 140 range?  I do.  It's a fantastic shaft, and I find that the M0-M2 all work well in an OP setup.  Swingweight and a smooth transition are key.  The shaft is stable and has the profile needed for OP to work for me. 

Of course now I am dying to try the GX line.  Not going to do that for a good while, however.  Too much experimenting already going on with the FX!

Did you try putting the M0 in the Qi10LS? Or did you find any advantages using the M2 over the M0 for that specific setup outside of the swing weight?

I guess I'm just struggling with which one to get in the M0-M2 line.

1 hour ago, justl2003 said:

Did you try putting the M0 in the Qi10LS? Or did you find any advantages using the M2 over the M0 for that specific setup outside of the swing weight?

I guess I'm just struggling with which one to get in the M0-M2 line.

I did not try the M0 in the Qi10.  I don't have a shaft puller, unfortunately, or I would have.  

Edited by IndyBonzo

•  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

First round with the lighter shaft last week was a great find. Was able to control the ball better, less curve once I got in a groove and if anything was moving the ball more right to left than fading it like I normally do. I am loving that change so far. I hope this continues and the swing speed picks up as confidence and the season gets going. Was a cool windy day to start but should be warmer the next time I play.

Love all the experimentation that goes on in this thread and the sharing of the results.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, IndyBonzo said:

I did not try the M0 in the Qi10.  I don't have a shaft puller, unfortunately, or I would have.  

Ah. Thanks for the info. Did you notice any tangible differences (feel, weight, consistency, etc.) between the M0 and M2 (albeit in different heads)? I presume you like the M0 better considering its your current gamer?

M0-M2 are all light, flexible, but stable shafts.  I can feel the flex difference, but cannot say that one is easier to control than another for my swing.  Depending on your swing speed and transition/AOA, one or the other may deliver more distance through optimal flex.  I think for me that is M0.  The profiles must be very similar based on my feel of all three.  If you handed them to me blindfolded I am not sure I could tell the difference.  I have swung an M4, and that definitely feels different, however.

Best bet would be to find a fitter that has them and try them. I believe PGATSS near me has them in their studio (but not for sale retail); if you are near one I recommend giving them a call to see if they will let you try them out.

Good luck and I hope this is helpful.

2 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

Below are launch monitor testing numbers from this fall and winter:

LaunchMonitor_TM.png.b1953c8b62d4943da060370bf4cf8e53.png

The Taylor Gamer is a Graphite Design TP-6x at 44.75". I switched it over to my G425 LST this winter, so the Ping numbers are with the same shaft. the Taylor Otto was the UST MPF A flex. I haven't hit the UST in the ping much, after I switched the tips, but what I have seen is the numbers were similar to the Taylormade (it's an old M5), but the dispersion was tighter with the Ping. With the Graphite Design, I generally hit a little fade, with my miss being a wipey slice. With the UST MPF, the ball flight has been straightish, and falling right, with the miss being a wipey fade. It just doesn't slice as much as the Graphite Design. All other shafts listed were tested in the M5.

Also, keep in mind, I am in Utah, playing at elevation, so I get a little more out of my swing speed than if I was a lower elevation. My on course average for the TM M5 with the UST Otto was 309 total. For the Ping with the UST was 304, granted that was winter conditions which can vary from swamp to rock solid. I had one that skewed that average because it bounded down a rock solid fairway to around 343. The Ping with the Graphite Design averaged 307, also winter conditions, but that is similar to my M5 numbers, but I had a tendency to spray that thing both ways at times. 

What I have seen with the Maltby is around 3 MPH average increase in clubhead speed, due to the lighter weight, and about 5-6 yards more than the UST. Also, the profile seems to be a good fit for me. I don't have to wait on it as much as the UST, but it feels like it smooths out my natural rhythm and I hit every club a little better after I take some swings with it. 

To your question about the Chrome Tour, those launch monitor averages are with a mix of ProV1s and ProV1x's. The on course averages are with a Taylormade TP5, as that was my gamer ball until I got selected for the Callaway testing. In the Callaway testing, I have noticed around 2-3 MPH average increase in ball speed over the previous generation TP5. I personally think that the Chrome Tour has a lot to do with the straighter ball flight. I can peel the Taylormade to the right really badly when I miss, but the lower spin of the Chrome Tour seems to be a good fit for that driver and shaft combo. It seems to be a good spin rate for my irons too. My irons, which are usually a baby draw, with a hook miss, are now pretty straight to just falling left with a draw miss. That 349 shot the other day did have a 5-7mph breeze, down and off the right, as well as some pretty crispy early season fairways. I did catch all of it, but I definitely got some help. I was honestly more impressed with the 313 into the breeze. That ball just fell right of my start line, which was probably just as much the breeze pushing up the spin as anything else. Range sessions seemed to show that the Maltby has a better dispersion than the UST as well. I want to do more testing also with the Chrome Tour X, as that had 1-2 mph more ball speed than the tour, I just wonder if the spin will be too high for me.

Thank you. That is VERY helpful. 👍

I was honestly more impressed with the 313 into the breeze.

I have to agree there!

I've been staying away from the TaylorMade TP5 mostly due to the spin. I'm going to take a close look at the Chrome Tour once MGS has the new big ball test. Luckily I did get a couple freebie Chrome Tour balls from the Callaway Ai Smoke driver demo. I haven't played them yet. That's awesome you were involved in the MGS test for that ball. I need to go back and find that thread to see how that went. 

I will be back, lol. I wouldn't mind trying OttoPhlex, as long as I can do it without spraying more left/right/mostly left than I do since that's my bigger goal. And our swings seem kind of similar. So if/when I do, I'll certainly come here and ask for input!

2 hours ago, rlb4 said:

Which Maltby shaft and flex are you using?

I am using the Maltby MPF UL in regular. Also, because I forgot to specify in my post above, I am using the g425 lst head, 9*, set to the big minus, so 7.5*. Swing weight is d1.9. I bought a Chinese weight kit for it, and I think I am running the 11gram weight from the kit in the draw setting, which actually measured 12-13 grams on my scale. I will check for sure, when I get home. With the graphite design 6x, I usually have it set in the little minus, or 8* setting with the stock 17g weight. 

Edited by MuniGolfer

26 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

Thank you. That is VERY helpful. 👍

I have to agree there!

I've been staying away from the TaylorMade TP5 mostly due to the spin. I'm going to take a close look at the Chrome Tour once MGS has the new big ball test. Luckily I did get a couple freebie Chrome Tour balls from the Callaway Ai Smoke driver demo. I haven't played them yet. That's awesome you were involved in the MGS test for that ball. I need to go back and find that thread to see how that went. 

I will be back, lol. I wouldn't mind trying OttoPhlex, as long as I can do it without spraying more left/right/mostly left than I do since that's my bigger goal. And our swings seem kind of similar. So if/when I do, I'll certainly come here and ask for input!

Ask all the questions you want. This is a helpful and very fun group. I have been straighter with the Otto Phlex, as have many, when they find the right shaft for them. Just have to get the swing weight right and profile for their swing. For me, on both the Maltby and the ust mp5, it has been around D2.

i agree with you on the tp5, but i loved it on approach so much, i played it anyway. The chrome tour has been like the prov1 off the driver, but closer to the tp5 on approach for me.

So Monday, it didn’t feel like I could miss with the driver, and you saw the distance results. Today, I was at the range working on approach, since that killed me in that round, but had to hit a couple drivers because I had so much fun with it on Monday. I popped them straight up and was out of balls so I didn’t get to end on a good one. Golf . . .

Edited by MuniGolfer

22 minutes ago, MuniGolfer said:

Ask all the questions you want. This is a helpful and very fun group. I have been straighter with the Otto Phlex, as have many, when they find the right shaft for them. Just have to get the swing weight right and profile for their swing. For me, on both the Maltby and the ust mp5, it has been around D2.

i agree with you on the tp5, but i loved it on approach so much, i played it anyway. The chrome tour has been like the prov1 off the driver, but closer to the tp5 on approach for me.

So Monday, it didn’t feel like I could miss with the driver, and you saw the distance results. Today, I was at the range working on approach, since that killed me in that round, but had to hit a couple drivers because I had so much fun with it on Monday. I popped them straight up and was out of balls so I didn’t get to end on a good one. Golf . . .

Sounds great. I'm glad this can be an option that is still straight, so it's got my attention. I could see myself buying one of those Maltbys to try for sure. 

That sounds great about the Chrome Tour. I definitely know way more about what the golf ball does and the different models than I did at the end of last season. 

I keep a handful of crap balls on hand to donate to the driving range for just such occasions. Or just to hit extra balls when I'm trying to get rid of some that I don't play. They're in a grocery bag at the bottom of my big side pocket, haha. 

6 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

That sounds great about the Chrome Tour. I definitely know way more about what the golf ball does and the different models than I did at the end of last season. 

I keep a handful of crap balls on hand to donate to the driving range for just such occasions. Or just to hit extra balls when I'm trying to get rid of some that I don't play. They're in a grocery bag at the bottom of my big side pocket, haha. 

I am the same. I have dove head first down that rabbit hole this winter.

i need to do that! That would have helped today. I just needed one good one😩

26 minutes ago, justl2003 said:

Has anyone found any luck with using these shafts in fairway woods or hybrids? Got an offer for a m0 140 and m1 140 for $200, so trying to figure out if its worth it getting 2 to experiment with the fairway woods or hybrids.

I just got an M1 for my hybrid.  One range session and it was great.  Actually a low, piercing ball flight, not high launch at all with the 4H.  I suspect it will replace my MotoreX stiff hybrid shaft.  

I sound like an ACCRA advertisement.  

Alright, I just purchased an Accra FX 3 M0 and M1. Will report back in a few weeks to let everyone know how it goes!

Did you guys needs to make significant changes to alter the swing weight? I'm wondering if its worth looking into different head weights for my G430 LST. It currently has a 22 gram weight. Any suggestions for what I may need to do to fine tune it? What swing weight tends to work best for these?

Edited by justl2003

11 minutes ago, justl2003 said:

Alright, I just purchased an Accra FX 3 M0 and M1. Will report back in a few weeks to let everyone know how it goes!

Did you guys needs to make significant changes to alter the swing weight? I'm wondering if its worth looking into different head weights for my G430 LST. It currently has a 22 gram weight. Any suggestions for what I may need to do to fine tune it? What swing weight tends to work best for these?

The SW that seems to work best for most people is around D2. Not everyone is the same, but I've seen more posts in this thread around that number. That's where I'm starting.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

So I was going to pull the trigger on the Maltby UL and was trying to decide which flex to go with. I'm in an Aldila Ascent Red 60 gram stiff shaft right now, was thinking about going A flex in the Maltby. My swing speed is typically 100-105. What do you all think? 

The A flex is out of stock, but L, R, and S are in stock at the moment.

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

1 minute ago, Nick_D said:

So I was going to pull the trigger on the Maltby UL and was trying to decide which flex to go with. I'm in an Aldila Ascent Red 60 gram stiff shaft right now, was thinking about going A flex in the Maltby. My swing speed is typically 100-105. What do you all think? 

The A flex is out of stock, but L, R, and S are in stock at the moment.

My swing speed is around 100 and my Maltby UL L-flex is arriving today. After reading some of Stu's comments about the Maltby shafts, he feels they play slightly firmer than their flex suggests. So that got me thinking to go slightly less than I would have, which means L-flex. Take that for what you want.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

1 minute ago, Shrek74 said:

My swing speed is around 100 and my Maltby UL L-flex is arriving today. After reading some of Stu's comments about the Maltby shafts, he feels they play slightly firmer than their flex suggests. So that got me thinking to go slightly less than I would have, which means L-flex. Take that for what you want.

Let me know how it goes! I do have a somewhat smooth swing/tempo, so maybe I'll follow your lead and go L-flex...

Nick_D's Putter Projects

Maltby UL L-Flex is on order from GolfWorks! Once it gets here and I get it all glued up I'll give an update with numbers vs my current setup. Excited to finally jump on the otto phlex train

Nick_D's Putter Projects