TESTERS WANTED! ×

Harry leaving MGS

GolfSpy_APH

On 11/2/2022 at 8:38 AM, Golfspy_Lukes said:

The wilson name resonates with the 60+ crowd and the bargain shopper.  I don't see how anything changes.

They tried to get more mainstream with their Golf Channel show with the driver design and that was a disaster and did nothing to change their brand perception.

Sure they make great irons, but they aren't even in my Top 10 of irons I would try in a fitting

... Every OEM that is successful has a turning point. When I was on staff with Wilson back when they introduced the Whale Driver I was impressed with the organization. They were all golfers, loved equipment and were very serious about making tour quality clubs. Sadly Sales Dept still pursued bargain equipment and that is a brand killer. That said, they just weren't very good at it. Not good at marketing or producing the actual products. As you said, they are currently making some really nice irons but they aren't on most players radar. I always liked them and hope they can manage to turn things around but as well all know in todays economy it is an uphill battle. I have been to free demo day fittings here in Phoenix for Callaway, Taylor Made, Titleist and Mizuno. Obviously with year round play it is a good idea to get clubs in players hands. I have never even seen a Wilson Demo Day. I would add I booked a Callaway fitting for my playing pard last spring because he was playing knock offs. He ended up buying driver, 5 wood, 2 hybrids, full set of irons and 2 wedges. Demo Days work. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

23 hours ago, fozcycle said:

I know JB does not work for Wilson, BUT He is the single best person that promotes Wilson Golf.

Yep, he does a great job on reporting the good and bad with Wilson.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 2 weeks later...

I still can't kick out the Wlson D100 driver out of the bag. I've gone the hybrid irons route and never considered the LaunchPad. I am sure they are just as good as the Halo XL irons. But, they are not advertised as widely as Cleveland. Also, Cleveland consistently does demo days 6 months out of every year. You can't sit back and expect a following.