The Good Morning Thread

GolfSpy_APH

6 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

May clear your cookies/permissions and see if that works.  I haven't had it happen on my laptop lately but have in the past.  

Still get this error message, not quite as often even after clearing cookies/permissions with both Edge and Chrome browsers.

Hopefully the moderators see it and get it resolved. 

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist GT2 8 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Red & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :Nippon: Modus 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM9 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 5 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

12 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

Good morning Spies! Leaving for South Carolina in about an hour. Finishing up Thursday but probably not coming home until Friday morning. New assignment on a completely different study so this will be interesting.

Above was what I THOUGHT would happen. Best laid plans, etc. While on the drive, I got an email from the South Carolina medical board. I wouldn't normally read an email while driving, but I made an exception. Good thing. They said I am not approved to do what I was supposed to be doing for the next 3.5 days because the paperwork my company had me submit didn't comply with a board rule. And right now there is no way to fix it; the doctor who needs to sign the paperwork is in Africa until Friday and isn't answering her phone (don't blame her there). So, unless there is a miraculous change overnight, I'm heading home in the morning (6 hour drive). Even if she did sign the paperwork overnight, it might take two weeks to get it reviewed and approved.

I'm actually staying at a golf resort three miles from our office. Thought at least I could get in 9 holes after work. Apparently not. It appears the course has a corporate outing starting at noon tomorrow and there are no morning tee times available. Same was true today, different corporation but same schedule. So it appears there will be no golf on my schedule. I guess I'll have to play at the muni later in the week.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

Any college athletes (specifically XC and T&F) I need some advice for my daughter. She has her mind set on going to Oregon for undergrad and J.D., but she wants to run track.  She is on the slower side, but still recruitable for D3 schools and some NIAC.  What is available after college for runners?  Aside from local 5k’s and 10k’s.  Open a running store?  

My gut tells me to tell her to apply for schools that she has an opportunity to run for, and skip the big campus BS.  

What say you?

Top college runners can turn pro, and some of them do so after a year or so. The Ducks have had plenty of those. But they would have to be pretty high level D1 competitors to get a pro contract, which in track tends to be with a shoe company. Unless she gets a lot faster, I'd say that's unlikely from your description. There are various competitive outlets open for elite post-college athletes, including getting support from USATF and running in the international Diamond League. Becoming a private coach would be another post-college option.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

I think it would be good for her to think about what she gets out of running, what she enjoys about it, how would that change if it was more like a job.

Wow.  Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful reply.  I know she likes the competition in running, but I don’t think it is her life goal to be a pro runner.  She’s got some thinking to do.

Like Austin Powers, we Shanksters like to live dangerously.  Eugene, she wants to go to U of O.  The other option is Linfeild, which is NW of Portland a smidge, and option 3 is Western Oregon.  That one is pretty far down I believe.  

If she's interested in pursuing a law degree, make track the secondary consideration and apply to UO.  The other option and more likely a recruitment/scholarship opportunity is Portland State and their affiliation with Willamette University College of Law.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

If she's interested in pursuing a law degree, make track the secondary consideration and apply to UO.  The other option and more likely a recruitment/scholarship opportunity is Portland State and their affiliation with Willamette University College of Law.

We really don’t want her anywhere near Portland.  Eugene is plenty big enough if you know what I’m saying.

My gut tells me to tell her to apply for schools that she has an opportunity to run for, and skip the big campus BS.  

What say you?

First suggestion is to visit the campuses if possible. Often one particular campus will resonate with a prospective student!

3 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

I think it would be good for her to think about what she gets out of running, what she enjoys about it, how would that change if it was more like a job. Personally, I got in great shape when running was just something I did for myself, once on the team I held steady as it became a bit like work.

100%. Plus all the great follow on comments.

IMO - if she's interested in pursuing a J.D. (Kudos!) that should absolutely no question be the prime consideration .. and so where is the best place that she likes and can get into that provides her that path.

Another imo for college athletes - let's consider the not so farfetched possibility of getting badly hurt .. and getting forced out... You have to have a backup plan. Which should include getting a degree. Which can open doors for you .. even in today's "modern gig economy".

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

1 minute ago, cksurfdude said:

First suggestion is to visit the campuses if possible. Often one particular campus will resonate with a prospective student!

She’s been to the Oregon campus and the Western Oregon campus, and Linfield.  She loves Oregon’s campus, and likes Western’s / Linfields.  It is coming down to her wanting to at least tey for the XC and Track team.  She knows there is a slim chance that she’ll even get a chance to try out at Oregon… other places will give her the opportunity.  Tough choice… glad I don’t have to make it.

49 minutes ago, Shankster said:

We really don’t want her anywhere near Portland.  Eugene is plenty big enough if you know what I’m saying.

Why?  What could possibly go wrong?  😆

46 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Why?  What could possibly go wrong?  😆

Well, for starters… uh, everything.  I got lost there around 8pm one night.  Not my favorite place to be; don’t want here anywhere near a place that has the issues Portland does.  No thank you.  And it is really too bad.  It is a cool town, it’s just been ruined.  I’m not talking crap about it for anyone that lives there.  It is just not my nor my family’s cup of coffee if you will… 

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Well, for starters… uh, everything.  I got lost there around 8pm one night.  Not my favorite place to be; don’t want here anywhere near a place that has the issues Portland does.  No thank you.  And it is really too bad.  It is a cool town, it’s just been ruined.  I’m not talking crap about it for anyone that lives there.  It is just not my nor my family’s cup of coffee if you will… 

Eugene is gonna get hit as hard from Cascadia as Portland and Seattle. Last time, a few people were there and wrote about it. It was really bad. 9+ is beyond a major quake. Cascadia intersects San Andreas on the ocean floor. Always causes San Andreas to go too. Same who worked out predictions on Cascadia. They won't even guess what is going to happen with San Andreas.

In the past I'd make deliveries to pacific northwest coast. Not now. But then, I'd often get the "Superiority Speech". It's always nice this here, nice that. And it always ends in "You can't move here." Last one to pull that on me was a waitress at a truck stop in Eugene. I replied to her; You can't move to the Black Hills.

To be candid.... I would rather walk a field with a good Bird Dog, than to walk a golf course with people. Only problem is, I can't walk.

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

As a grandfather of 3 girls and 1 boy, the oldest girl has graduated Villanova the other 2 girls are juniors at Providence College & Sacred Heart University and Gson freshman at CCSU there is a great deal of concern for them at a lot of levels.  It seems they have chosen wisely.  For Shankster 3 of them were offered some sort of partial scholarship for sports (no free rides) D2 schools but chose academic scholarships.  3 of the 4 played in club sports, softball, tennis & baseball to keep themselves in shape and active.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

As a grandfather of 3 girls and 1 boy, the oldest girl has graduated Villanova the other 2 girls are juniors at Providence College & Sacred Heart University and Gson freshman at CCSU there is a great deal of concern for them at a lot of levels.  It seems they have chosen wisely.  For Shankster 3 of them were offered some sort of partial scholarship for sports (no free rides) D2 schools but chose academic scholarships.  3 of the 4 played in club sports, softball, tennis & baseball to keep themselves in shape and active.  

Yeah.  She has already been offered an academic scholarship,  a big one at that… but she has no interest in going to the school.  We had a lengthy debate about it, in the end… dad lost.

12 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yeah.  She has already been offered an academic scholarship,  a big one at that… but she has no interest in going to the school.  We had a lengthy debate about it, in the end… dad lost.

Parents and Grandparents always lose but for some reason the Gkids listened to us, grandparents more than parents.  Kids will find their way, our Gkids have.  I was a little uneasy about the oldest going to Villanova but she excelled every freaking high honor available and is an intern at National Institutes for Health working on her MD/Phd dual degree.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

We visited Portland in the mid 80's and it was great.  But, like Seattle and a host of other metropolitan cities, things have deteriorated terribly.  Perhaps some like what they offer now, but not us.  To each their own.