Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What is the hardest shot in golf?

On 8/4/2023 at 9:09 AM, Hacker60521 said:

Par 3 holes

I think par 3s can be challenging because their distance doesn’t leave you with a lot of room for error or options to make up a bad stroke. For example, if you miss the green from the tee, now you’re scrambling to save par. On a 4 or 5 you can try and save a bad stroke along the way.

My home course has a couple of 3s that are entirely over water, so you need to carry the water onto a green that’s about 15-20 yards deep. Miss long and you’re standing downhill on a steep decline towards a green that rolls towards the water. 

This is the first year that I've kept all my shot stats with GHIN. I was shocked at my average score on par 3's. It's my worst score in relation to par, by a lot. I play par 4's at 4.28 par 5's at 5.06 and par 3's at 3.72. Insanity!!!

....any shot with a significant uneven lie. 

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

On 8/4/2023 at 9:00 AM, Jnoble89 said:

This popped into my head last night while I couldn't sleep, so thought I'd create a thread about it on the forum. 

What is the hardest shot in golf?

This can be objective or subjective, which I think is what makes it a fun question and discussion topic. I am going to choose the latter.

Using a Par 4 as my example, the hardest shot in golf is the shot after hitting a great tee shot. I know that with the tee shot, I have set myself up for a very good opportunity to get a GIR, but also try to get within range of a good birdie chance. More often than not, I'll duff/top/shank the second shot, leading to frustration and now having to try and get up and down to save par, and very rarely walk away with anything better than a bogey. The mental aspect of golf is what the biggest challenge is for me with this shot. If I hit a poor tee shot, the second shot is typically going to be a punch out or a lay up, and then the third shot doesn't have as much "pressure," so to speak, as I am now looking at a two putt to card a bogey instead of feeling like I just blew an opportunity to score.

So, MGS Forum members, what is the hardest shot in golf?

I was going to say a 50-65 yard partial wedge shot, but after reading your post I must agree that for me the second shot on a par 4 (or par 5) hole following a great tee shot in the fairway may just be the most difficult to execute. It's a mental thing for sure, and I am probably thinking too much about putting that second shot in a position where I can make a birdie (or even an eagle) has a lot to do with the degree of difficulty.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I have two candidates. 

1. Being forced to work the ball either direction off the tee on a dog leg. For some reason it goes dead straight most of the time.
  2.  Hitting last in a scramble. There’s added pressure to being the last after everyone else. Especially, if no one else played a safe shot. 
  • Driver Cobra Radspeed 10.5. Stiff HZRDS Smoke Yellow
  • 3W Cabra F8+ 14.5
  • 5W Cobra F8+ 17.5
  • Irons TM RocketBladez 4i-P
  • Wedges Kirkland Signature 52@50, 56@55, and 60
  • Putter KS1

For me it's any shot on a downhill lie. I very rarely can make solid contact on those lies. I usually end up hitting the ground well before the ball which just frustrates me. Maybe one of these days I'll figure it out as it doesn't seem to matter what the distance is I have for the shot, I always mess it up on the downhill lie!!

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 9* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65, Stiff

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood 14* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75, Stiff

Hybrids: Callaway Epic Flash #3 17* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #4 20* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #5 23* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #6 26* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 65, Regular

Irons: Ping G430, Red Dot, 7, 8, 9, W, 45.5*, 50*, ALTA CB BLACK, Regular

Wedges: Edison Forged - 55*, KBS PGI 80, Regular 2* Flat

Putter: Odyssey Toe Up #1, Ball: Vice Pro

The worst and hardest shot in golf is a long par three into the wind to a green virtually surrounded by water.  No matter what long-iron you choose, you must flight it and hit hard and solid to an elevated green. If mis-hit, it falls short into the water, if hit too hot, it bounces over green and down the hill into water behind.  At our club, we have one just like this.  The only thing worse is when they have it tucked on back right behind bunker.https://golftraxx.com/hole-layout?coursename=Wellington+National+Golf+Club&zipcode=33414&hole=7&static=true

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

43 minutes ago, Lou Caracappa said:

For me there are 2.  A downhill lie approach shot

Absolutely this. Had this in one of my rounds last week, Downhill 20yd chip to an elevated green. Stuff nightmares are made of

WITB:

Driver: PING G400

3W: Ping G400

3 Utility Iron: Ping G410

5-GW: Cobra Forged Tec (2020) KBS $-Taper 125 x-stiff shafts (Club Champion fitting)

Wedges: 52,56,60 (mixed)

P: Cleveland Frontline 8.0 Wide blade

HCP: 11

IMO I'd have to say the hardest shot I can think of would be the tee-shot on the back 9 after shooting a really good score on the front 9. Seems to get me everytime lol. If not that shot, then I would go with any long bunker shot. 

My bag consists of

Odyssey Backstryke D.A.R.T. Putter

Calloway Diablo Habanero Driver 9.5

PING eye 2 Irons (4-PW)

Nicklaus ATW 3 HYBRID

King Cobra 3 wood

King Cobra 5 wood

Sand wedge

Lob wedge

I'd have to say the chips from an uphill lie with not much green to work with. There is one par 3 on my local course where, if your short, its a 45 degree slope up with to a fairly small green. I'm always caught between a flop shot or touchy soft flip...rarely works with either, but I remember ever flopper that does, because it feels SO good, especially with a group! 

Love the game, try to get out a couple times a week. Been at it for about 25yrs...still waiting to get better

For me, it's any first tee shot with someone I haven't played with before.  Driving is one of the best parts of my game, but prior to getting to know the person I'm playing with it always adds a level of stress.  I actually like the gallery aspect when playing, which seems at odds with playing partner stress.  I guess the difference is that I don't have to spend the day with the same gallery member coming up with conversation as I hit my third shot out of the bunker? 🙁

:ping-small: G425 Driver

:ping-small: G425 3w

:callaway-small: 2 Hybrid

:srixon-small:  Z585 Irons 3-PW 

467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpg RTX Zipcore 50 Gap, 56 SW, 60 LW

:odyssey-small: 2 ball Putter

:taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour Balls

The hardest shot personally is a par three where the green is on an island or peninsula. You want to play it so safe that it’s challenging to put yourself in a good position. I think this goes back to how mental golf is. If you can block the water out mentally and focus on your target then it shouldn’t be a problem, but if you have any doubt you end up playing the super safe shot. 

Callaway X2 Irons, Callaway Mavrik 5W, TaylorMade RBZ 3W, Rogue Driver, and Ping Putter blade putter. 

Swing RH but the flat stick is LH