Celtics, Red Sox, and Falcons Owners & The PGA

This is mind blowing... 

As a Celtics fan to almost a religious degree, I love the idea of Wyc Grossbeck (co-owner of the Boston Celtics with Steve Pagliuca) getting involved with golf. He's an extremely smart man that knows how to run a successful sports business as are the other owners mentioned as part of the conglomerate.

As the article states this deal has potential to stabilize professional golf which I hope gets done for the fans sake. The whole thing is just exhausting. 

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/39119991/pga-tour-us-sports-team-owners-group-nearing-deal

Carter the Silver Fox

PSX_20231214_192649.jpg.aebe9fac8a381499f3eba7dcb387a3bf.jpg Ping g400 - Driver, 3w, 7w, 4h

PSX_20231214_192616.png.8617e3838f8e076e5f8589adeda429f0.png Mizuno CLK 5H/MP-18 irons

PSX_20231214_192537.png.23ec9b7c1971db968afd3a07d3b37884.png Edel wedges and putter

If any of this works out, the first thing they need to do is send Monahan down the road.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

2 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

If any of this works out, the first thing they need to do is send Monahan down the road.

I think what you're saying speaks to a broader point. The PGA might retain control of the tour, but the leaders of the investment group are going to have significant influence over professional golf. Moreover, when an agreement is reached between the PGA, PIF, and DP then there will be even more influence over golf as a whole.

It makes me wonder if a power struggle ends up happening between the USGA/R&A over certain issues like the rollback. 

Carter the Silver Fox

PSX_20231214_192649.jpg.aebe9fac8a381499f3eba7dcb387a3bf.jpg Ping g400 - Driver, 3w, 7w, 4h

PSX_20231214_192616.png.8617e3838f8e076e5f8589adeda429f0.png Mizuno CLK 5H/MP-18 irons

PSX_20231214_192537.png.23ec9b7c1971db968afd3a07d3b37884.png Edel wedges and putter

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know enough about the Boston-based owners and their positions, but comments from Arthur Blank make me wonder how much of a "step up" it would be from the Saudis.  As a former Home Depot employee (my job after my career), I can tell you we were constantly reminding people that Authur Blank's political, social and racist comments were not represented of Home Depot and he was no longer involved in the company's organization.   I have a feeling the PGA Tour may be in the same position in the not-too-distant future.

The bad part of either or both investing in the PGA Tour is that it just helps validate the elitest perception that golf has.  Big money swooping in to support a multi-million-dollar events played by multi-million-dollar players who had the luxury of being born into wealthy families.  I know that's a simplification and overstatement of the PGA Tour and its players, but for many the highest-level professional golf can seem like it a game for the privileged.  As a result, the Tour's need for financial assistance and the big money suiters (and their baggage) just justifies the elitest perception and further distances golf from those who love the game.

I think the PGA Tour needs to find ways of better connecting with the average golfer and general public.   Their PGA Tour tournament impact on local charities is not enough to sway peoples' elitest perceptions.   

One way of better example of connecting with the average fan might be right in front of their noses in the NFL.  Why not borrow from the NFL's Green Bay Packers model and have limited public offerings for average fans to buy into the PGA Tour.   As with the Packers, these share owners would have no voting power but could be given some golf perks along with saying they are part owners of the Tour.   The Packers last offering in 2021 had 198,000 shares sold at $300 each for around $60M.  I was one of those shares and I'm a Bills fan!   It's far cry from the billions being offered up by the other entities, but it's a step forward to bring professional golf closer to the masses and this money doesn't come with significant strings and controversial backgrounds.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

9 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

One way of better example of connecting with the average fan might be right in front of their noses in the NFL.  Why not borrow from the NFL's Green Bay Packers model and have limited public offerings for average fans to buy into the PGA Tour.   As with the Packers, these share owners would have no voting power but could be given some golf perks along with saying they are part owners of the Tour.   The Packers last offering in 2021 had 198,000 shares sold at $300 each for around $60M.  I was one of those shares and I'm a Bills fan!   It's far cry from the billions being offered up by the other entities, but it's a step forward to bring professional golf closer to the masses and this money doesn't come with significant strings and controversial backgrounds.  

The Packers aren't owned by an 'owner'. They are owned by the community. They are the only franchise to be 'owned' in that way, and the only franchise that will ever be allowed to operate in that way. I don't know the details of the hows and whys of it, but that may have something to do with the public offerings?

Arthur Blank also owns The PGA Superstore.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

19 hours ago, hohjoe said:

Arthur Blank also owns The PGA Superstore.

The PGA Superstores don't have any competition in most markets. The Falcons are terrible! Blank is a lot like Jerry Jones and that's nothing to be proud of. Blank is the last thing the PGA Tour needs.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

3 hours ago, GaDawg said:

The PGA Superstores don't have any competition in most markets. The Falcons are terrible! Blank is a lot like Jerry Jones and that's nothing to be proud of. Blank is the last thing the PGA Tour needs.

The Falcons are terrible, or worse if that's possible. I think Art has lost interest in the Falcons. I really wish he would sell the team.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R