Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

SEASON 2 - WEEK 40 MYGOLFSPY FORUM MEMBER WEEKLY VIRTUAL CHAMPIONSHIP TOUR (VCT)

Tournament Dates: 01/01/2024 - 01/07/2024

MyGolfSpy Forum Member
Weekly Championship Tour
Season 2
January 1 through January 7
Pos. Player Course Name Gross Score Course Handicap Gross Strokes over/under par Net Score to Par Net Score SIM Round?
T1 Sulphur Springs Country Club 75 8 3 -5 67
T1 Bent Creek GC 71 5 0 -5 66
3 Bent Creek GC 72 5 1 -4 67
T4 Surrey Hills 75 6 4 -2 69
T4 Sulphur Springs Country Club 78 8 6 -2 70
T6 Sun City Golf Club Cowan Creek 69 -2 -3 -1 71
T6 Knights Play Golf Center (Par 3) 53 0 -1 -1 53
8 Sun City Golf Club Cowan Creek 70 -2 -2 0 72
9 Viera East 77 4 5 1 73
T10 Lago Vista Golf Course 78 4 6 2 74
T10 Celebrity Course - Indian Wells Golf Resort 84 10 12 2 74
T12 Coyote springs 97 22 25 3 75
T12 Providence Golf Course 90 16 19 3 74
T12 Firewheel Champions/Traditions Course 82 8 11 3 74
T12 Hillwood Country Club 77 2 5 3 75
T16 Makena - Hawaii 76 0 4 4 76 SIM
T16 Old Mac - Green Tees 75 0 4 4 75 SIM
T16 Harbour Town - Hilton Head 75 0 4 4 75 SIM
T16 Heritage Isles 86 10 14 4 76
T20 Heritage Isles 87 10 15 5 77
T20 El Cardonal at Diamante 77 0 5 5 77 SIM
T22 Duran Golf Club 80 1 8 7 79
T22 Sun City Golf Club Cowan Creek 81 2 9 7 79
T22 Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort 97 18 25 7 79
25 Old Macdonald 82 0 11 11 82 SIM
26 Glendoveer G&TC West Course 124 39 53 14 85
27 Miccosukee Marlin/Dolphin 112 20 40 20 92
28 Kiawah Island 97 0 25 25 97 SIM

9 hours ago, Javs said:

Outstanding pictures!

Played there last January, would absolutely love to go back. Made a mess of that place, but was hitting my 5 iron 175 (usually <150) and loving every minute of it.

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

On 1/1/2024 at 1:39 PM, GolfSpy_BEN said:

Green Tees it is.

As an inducement for all of our SIM players there will be 300 bonus points awarded to the low round posted for the Old MacDonald course at Bandon Dunes Resort - Green Tees.

Also, on the off chance one or more of our members are playing this particular course in reality this week, you will also be eligible for the bonus points!

I question how this all works.  As someone who doesn't play SIM rounds and slugs it out on the course through the mud (Old Mac had better weather this weekend IRL, my home state), not sure how this is equitable. Not that I am a particularly great scoring player, but it seems that indoor conditions vs. outdoor conditions (specifically in the PNW where we can get out but it is a sludge fest) is comparable.  Not having a handicap is one thing, but if you are already a fairly low handicap it seems to be a big advantage.  Giving bonus points above that is just encouraging SIM play and not real world gaming.

Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

20 hours ago, EMacK1961 said:
Date 01/06/2024
Course Name Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort
Gross Score 97
Course Handicap 18
Gross Strokes over/under par 25
Net Score to Par 7
Net Score 79
Net Birdies or better 3
Longest Drive 237
SIM Round?  

It was my first round back after having to take a month off for a wonky back and a broken rib, both pickleball related. The rust definitely showed. I was decent off the tee, medium on the fairways, and mediocre on the greens. On the bright side, it is good to be back. No ill effects from playing on either the back or rib. I look to being on the road to a more consistent 2024 on the course.

IMG_0007(1).JPG

Welcome back! Love the photo, thanks for sharing it with us 🙂

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

7 hours ago, Mr. Mushball said:

I question how this all works.  As someone who doesn't play SIM rounds and slugs it out on the course through the mud (Old Mac had better weather this weekend IRL, my home state), not sure how this is equitable. Not that I am a particularly great scoring player, but it seems that indoor conditions vs. outdoor conditions (specifically in the PNW where we can get out but it is a sludge fest) is comparable.  Not having a handicap is one thing, but if you are already a fairly low handicap it seems to be a big advantage.  Giving bonus points above that is just encouraging SIM play and not real world gaming.

You are correct in one aspect of your statement. I am encouraging folks to be a part of the VCT, in any way they are able to be. The SIM option was added this winter, mostly for the benefit of our Northern members. While there may be snow on their courses, or freezing (or worse) temps that prevent them from playing and contributing, this gives them a way to continue earning points. 

Limiting play to those that live in geographical areas that allow for year-round play also isn't equitable. As to the bonus points for playing particular courses, it seemed like a fun way to entice members who haven't joined us yet. As commissioner, I am exempt from earning said points, so a gross score of 82 this week takes the bonus points. Another thing to consider for the SIM players, is they aren't eligible for the additional points derived from the most net birdies or the long drive. There is also 1 badge that can be earned as a SIM player, rather than the 4 available to traditional round players. 

My apologies, if you feel slighted by any of my decisions regarding the VCT. I want the VCT to be inclusive of our entire community, so I will continue to strive for that goal. With that thought in mind, there will be changes for Season 3. As we are now nearing the end of season 2, there are roughly 8 weeks left until we start the season end event. More details to follow soon on all of this.

WITB:

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

7 hours ago, Mr. Mushball said:

The alternative to this is not allowing a large portion of this community to not partake. Which is not what we are about. Period. 

The bonus points, especially for Old Mac at those tees which is extremely difficult is for the enjoyment of those sim players. 

Bottom line, if you want to do it even if you can play outside you still can. Nothing stopping you from playing a sim round if you like. However we are going to actively work to include and make the VCT available for as many golfers as possible. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

You are correct in one aspect of your statement. I am encouraging folks to be a part of the VCT, in any way they are able to be. The SIM option was added this winter, mostly for the benefit of our Northern members. While there may be snow on their courses, or freezing (or worse) temps that prevent them from playing and contributing, this gives them a way to continue earning points. 

Limiting play to those that live in geographical areas that allow for year-round play also isn't equitable. As to the bonus points for playing particular courses, it seemed like a fun way to entice members who haven't joined us yet. As commissioner, I am exempt from earning said points, so a gross score of 82 this week takes the bonus points. Another thing to consider for the SIM players, is they aren't eligible for the additional points derived from the most net birdies or the long drive. There is also 1 badge that can be earned as a SIM player, rather than the 4 available to traditional round players. 

My apologies, if you feel slighted by any of my decisions regarding the VCT. I want the VCT to be inclusive of our entire community, so I will continue to strive for that goal. With that thought in mind, there will be changes for Season 3. As we are now nearing the end of season 2, there are roughly 8 weeks left until we start the season end event. More details to follow soon on all of this.

I wholeheartedly agree. I am so thankful that you have allowed the Simulator option over the winter months. When the outdoor season closed, I moved indoors to work on my game and play scenic and challenging courses. Now I have added motivation to be able to continue to participate in MGS VCT. Thank you for this opportunity. It is greatly appreciated. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

The alternative to this is not allowing a large portion of this community to not partake. Which is not what we are about. Period. 

The bonus points, especially for Old Mac at those tees which is extremely difficult is for the enjoyment of those sim players. 

Bottom line, if you want to do it even if you can play outside you still can. Nothing stopping you from playing a sim round if you like. However we are going to actively work to include and make the VCT available for as many golfers as possible. 

Thank you. Bonus points for playing pre selected courses and tees is a great idea. And some of these courses are not for the faint of heart. I.e. they are tough which forces you to think and play better. So well done. 

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

19 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:
Date 01/04/2024
Course Name Celebrity Course - Indian Wells Golf Resort
Gross Score 84
Course Handicap 10
Gross Strokes over/under par 12
Net Score to Par 2
Net Score 74
Net Birdies or better 3
Longest Drive 291
SIM Round?  

Oh man, what an absolute gem of a course this was. This was the third course in three days that we played, and by far the most complete and stunning. Every hole felt like an oasis of its own - I've truly never played a more beautiful course (which is saying something, because the day before we played Escena which was INSANELY beautiful). 

I managed an 84, but that includes two doubles and a triple - all three of which were because I tried to do something dumb, lol. 

Over the three days, managed to putt pretty well (especially Day 1), and chipped incredibly well - to the point where one of my buddies just outright complained that I'd gotten "too good" at chipping, lol.  I mean, I disagree, but it was just a great few days of golf. 

The biggest surprise of the whole trip was just how well I drove the ball, especially considering some of the tight fairways we played on.  I just kind of found a groove and managed to keep it going for most of the trip. 

I'll be putting together a little "highlight" reel of our trip, so be on the lookout for that.  In the meantime, I'm attaching some shots from all three courses just so you can see some of the beauty we were witnessing. 

I cannot recommend highly enough a trip to Palm Springs for any of you, but especially this time of year when everything is just absolutely pristine. 

Also, back to Celebrity for a second: I've never been treated better at any course. They're operated by Troon, and it genuinely felt like we walked into a private club where we were the founding members. Trackman at the range, unbelievable pro shop, and everywhere we went, every. single. person seemed to be only interested in making us feel like kings.  

IMG_8169.jpeg

(Eagle Falls, day 1 of trip)

IMG_8187.jpeg

IMG_8190.jpeg

IMG_8192.jpegIMG_8204.jpegIMG_8203.jpeg

(Escena, Day 2 of trip)

IMG_8214.jpegIMG_8213.jpegIMG_8212.jpegIMG_8210.jpeg

(Celebrity Course at IWGR, Day 3)

Pictures are fabulous. What a great looking course. Thank you for sharing. 

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

I didn't take it as a bash or hate on SIM rounds.  I think it was more based on the 300 additional points.  Is it total towards overall contest? ( ie I'm sitting in 38th and it would jump me 11 spots)

I'm not sure how the scoring works nor do I necessarily care as I just enjoy the friendly competition with everyone. 

It's all for fun and I'm glad everyone has the ability to play golf period. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

image.png   Week 40 Final Recap

With 28 rounds posted this week, our members made a good showing:

Low Net Round

image.png   image.png   image.png

By benefit of a net 5 under 67 & 66, @RoverRick and @Randall Robbins share the black jacket this week. Nice rounds!

Most Net Birdies

image.png   image.png   

With 9 points for net birdies or better, @RoverRick earns another net birdie badge.

Low Gross Round & Longest Drive

image.png   image.png   image.png

Fresh off the boat from Norway, @Javs fired a 3 under 69 and 325 yard bomb to reclaim the low gross and long drive badges. Welcome Back!

Long Drive Honor Roll

@GolfSpy_APH - 316 yards

@Javs - 312 yards

@PeterHenric - 296 yards

@Javs - 295 yards

SIM Round Honor Roll (Sub 80)

@tw1ns - 75

@Cfhandyman - 76

@GolfSpy_BEN - 75

@GolfSpy_APH - 77

As mentioned in the Week 40 season long points update, there are 8 weeks left until the end of season event. Keep posting rounds and getting points, as the top 32 will be eligible to compete. Details soon!

WITB:

31 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I didn't take it as a bash or hate on SIM rounds.  I think it was more based on the 300 additional points.  Is it total towards overall contest? ( ie I'm sitting in 38th and it would jump me 11 spots)

I'm not sure how the scoring works nor do I necessarily care as I just enjoy the friendly competition with everyone. 

It's all for fun and I'm glad everyone has the ability to play golf period. 

Thanks for the explanation @GolfSpy_BEN.  I didn't mean to bash on the SIM option, and was asking about the bonus points.  I'm stoked that the SIM option was opened up to keep people in competition throughout non-playable weather, and am all about being able to include as many people as possible.

I didn't understand that SIM rounds didn't qualify for LD or NB points, so the 300 bonus points for those rounds makes much more sense and adds equity there.