Fitness Goals: Helping Each Other Reach Our Goals

11 hours ago, jbern said:

Haven't posted here in a while. I've been keeping up with my workouts. Yesterday was a morning full-body workout and today's is an upper body hypertrophy workout tonight after the kids go to bed. 

I'm going to try to get after it during tonight's workout because 1. I won't have access to exercise equipment on vaca in FL later this week and 2. I haven't been pushing myself as much during the workouts lately. It's time to change that.

Very impressive you were able to maintain a caloric deficit during a boys trip that included a few adult beverages!

Nice work! And, thanks for the kudos! The bevvies were well worth it!

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

Had another fitness article post yesterday, this one on some different core strength exercises!

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/strength-training-for-golfers-building-a-strong-and-stable-core/

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

Had another fitness article post yesterday, this one on some different core strength exercises!

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/strength-training-for-golfers-building-a-strong-and-stable-core/

Great core exercises! I remember getting absolutely SLAYED with bird dogs and dirty dogs while in Aircrew School, they are a great workout for stability and will wreck you if done in high volume sets. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

Today's Workout: Steam Room Stretching - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/15036993135

Weight: 189.1

No workout planned for today, I am beat from yesterday and baseball practice last night. Additionally, sleep is going to be hard to come by this week as the two classes I am taking are wrapping up and require some extra work. Tomorrow will be Exercise B, then I will work in my normal "pull" split cycle on Thursday. 

Yesterday's Numbers:

Innies: 1,666

Outies: 3,292

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

First FFG post up - 

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

No not as hard core as you guys, but gotta tell you some up this morning feeling .. well .. pretty ok! The light but steady exercise, plus chiro acu walking other aerobic light weights stretchy bands yoga good old situps and pushups etc, seems to be working for this old dude.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Had a nice workout last night and I was hoping to get another one in tonight, but the day just got too busy. I had a work conference that ran over 40 minutes late and then trying to wrap up packing for a family vacation never goes as smooth as you think. 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

P90x3 CVX bootcamp, treadmill jog.  I’m thinking about doing an off shoot of this thread, I need to get back into working out early in the morning.  I really enjoy working out around 4am more than 6pm.  Maybe I’ll start a thread called the 4am club.

IMG_3476.jpeg

IMG_3477.jpeg

🙃

FFG Week 2/12 Velocity B - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/15053482055

I'll tell you what; the "Group B" workout is the heavy day of the program, and today was close to being a total ass-kicker. 1/4 squats felt really heavy today (they were more like 1/3 squats), deadlifts were a bear, incline bench was heavy. My shirt was soaked. Great workout today - slamming down 77g of protein for breakfast to help with the recovery. 

Today's Weight: 188.0

Yesterday's In: 1,461

Yesterday's Out: 2,786

Getting closer to the intermediate goal - hoping to get there in two weeks.

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Today's Workout - Pull less deadlifts (because I did them yesterday with FFG): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/15069119064

Weight: 188.2

Yesterday's Calories In: 1,846

Yesterday's Calories Out: 3,785

FFG was a pretty high expenditure of energy yesterday, coupled with a 7U baseball scrimmage & practice where I am constantly running around trying to keep the little sh*ts from wrestling each other. I should have slept better than I did last night, but didn't for some reason. Either way, I still got in a good back and bicep pump today. Weight is still trending downward, which is great.

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

So my goal is easy. To lose a ton of weight. I actually lift weights and walk every day, but eat poorly. My game seems to reflect how poorly I am physically. The better shape I'm in, the better I play. Just throwing out there that I'm going to get better at eating better. This rising handicap drives me nuts. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

Got in a slow and easy 3.8 miles on my 38th birthday yesterday. Still recovering from the wonderful respiratory illness my son's gifted me.

Screenshot_20240424_175713_Connect.jpg.e804ceb777cdacd96c149688d440b4b7.jpg

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

10 hours ago, FallenSaber said:

Got in a slow and easy 3.8 miles on my 38th birthday yesterday. Still recovering from the wonderful respiratory illness my son's gifted me.

Screenshot_20240424_175713_Connect.jpg.e804ceb777cdacd96c149688d440b4b7.jpg

Happy Birthday! My wife also does the birthday miles - I just wait for her to finish with a beverage in hand. It works out ok for me. Nice work though!

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Today's Workout: FFG Week 2/12 - Velocity C - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/15085184946

Great workout today, I was challenged on multiple exercises. I like the program thus far and we'll see what speed gains are made!

Weight: 189.2

Yesterday's Calories In: 2,327

Yesterday's Calories Out: 2,931

The wife told me to pick up some steak to grill last night on my way home from work, and the dude at the meat counter hooked it up with some fabulously marbled sirloin. I apparently "overcooked" it to a slight shade beyond medium and my kids let me hear about it. I pulled it off the grill when it hit 145, but I guess I didn't slice it fast enough and the carry-over cooking made it unpalatable to them. IDGAF because I ate 21 oz of sirloin last night and I slept like a f'ing rock. I'm also kinda proud of my kids for being steak snobs and complaining of just-barely mid-well meat. 

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

On 4/25/2024 at 11:10 AM, JeremyD said:

Just throwing out there that I'm going to get better at eating better.

👍

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, taylorjonasher said:

Happy Birthday! My wife also does the birthday miles - I just wait for her to finish with a beverage in hand. It works out ok for me. Nice work though!

Thank you! Probably the first time I've done a run on my birthday like that. My training scheduled called for a 4 mile run so I figured missing .2 miles wouldn't hurt. Plus still recovering from the respiratory illness my kids gave me. 

On 4/13/2024 at 2:12 AM, FallenSaber said:

@taylorjonasher thanks for the info and I'll be downloading MyFitnessPal to give it a try.

When it comes to beer, I tend to lean towards IPA and DIPAs amd those nasty sucker's can be 300+ in calories per beer. Part of the reason I've been trying to drink less beer and any time I want a drink, go for a glass of wine or a vodka soda. I know those are at least between 100-150 a glass. But man, I love a good beer! Haha

IPAs are the silent killer for me.  I have no scientific evidence other than tracking my sleep/recovery after crushing IPA’s (which I love).  There is a brewery in Maine called Maine brewing that just tickles my fancy along with many MA,RI, Vt.  

Anyways I went back to my roots and started back up on stouts (murphys, Guinness) and lagers and pilsners (Harp, smithwicks, London pride, Stella Artois).  

My recovery after drinking stouts and lagers is around 25-50% higher.  I do indulge in a cocktail from time to time.  But nothing kills my sleep/recovery quite like a heavy IPA’s!

no workout today, on my third Harp…I need a day off

🙃

1 hour ago, Owengeorge13 said:

IPAs are the silent killer for me.  I have no scientific evidence other than tracking my sleep/recovery after crushing IPA’s (which I love).  There is a brewery in Maine called Maine brewing that just tickles my fancy along with many MA,RI, Vt.  

Anyways I went back to my roots and started back up on stouts (murphys, Guinness) and lagers and pilsners (Harp, smithwicks, London pride, Stella Artois).  

My recovery after drinking stouts and lagers is around 25-50% higher.  I do indulge in a cocktail from time to time.  But nothing kills my sleep/recovery quite like a heavy IPA’s!

no workout today, on my third Harp…I need a day off

That's interesting. I should probably try to track the difference for myself better. My sleep score was fairly low for last night ilbut I had a mix of a fairly strong stout, a triple IPA, and a double IPA.

On 4/26/2024 at 4:52 PM, Owengeorge13 said:

IPAs are the silent killer for me.  I have no scientific evidence other than tracking my sleep/recovery after crushing IPA’s (which I love).

That is really interesting! 

Never considered there might be a different effect from different beers, vs simply no alcohol for an evening...

..yeah I know heaven forbid 😉 heck I even declined a medicine (purely elective) recently because it meant 90 days 😱 of no beer 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

4 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

That is really interesting! 

Never considered there might be a different effect from different beers, vs simply no alcohol for an evening...

..yeah I know heaven forbid 😉 heck I even declined a medicine (purely elective) recently because it meant 90 days 😱 of no beer 

One of my favorite beers (Clockhouse Brewing's Witchslap) is a hazy IPA, but I can't drink it after 8pm or else I'll never get to sleep. It, along with other hoppy IPA/DIPA/TIPA varieties causes super bad heartburn for me. I really enjoy the hop forward beers, but I've had to shy away from them because of the gut problems they give me. However, it has opened the door to the sour/dessert sour/pastry sour categories, things that I had never really paid attention to in the past. I still hate gose styles though. Over the last two or three years I have noticed that 3 or more beers will wreck my sleep, I've cut back quite a bit on how much I drink just because I enjoy not feeling like a bag of smashed a**holes the next day due to terrible sleep. 

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

8 minutes ago, taylorjonasher said:

One of my favorite beers (Clockhouse Brewing's Witchslap) is a hazy IPA, but I can't drink it after 8pm or else I'll never get to sleep. It, along with other hoppy IPA/DIPA/TIPA varieties causes super bad heartburn for me. I really enjoy the hop forward beers, but I've had to shy away from them because of the gut problems they give me. However, it has opened the door to the sour/dessert sour/pastry sour categories, things that I had never really paid attention to in the past. I still hate gose styles though. Over the last two or three years I have noticed that 3 or more beers will wreck my sleep, I've cut back quite a bit on how much I drink just because I enjoy not feeling like a bag of smashed a**holes the next day due to terrible sleep. 

I have acid reflux, I really like hazy/juicy IPAs but I can’t drink them with out taking a Prilosec.  I love Stella Artois and Guinness so I have been just sticking to them.  I just played 18 and had a “sip of sunshine” from Lawson brewing in VT.  So good, but I’ll regret it later.  Someone in here is from San Diego!  I’ve never had so much brewery fun then when I was in San Diego, my brother/sister in-law live in north park, they live on the same street as thorn street brewing, place is fantastic, I could live in the brewery.  Best beer I’ve ever had was at stone brewing in San  diego was called “leviathan,” it was just so clean and fresh.

Acitivity:golf warm up , then 18 holes carry

IMG_3495.jpeg

IMG_3496.jpeg

IMG_3497.jpeg

IMG_3498.jpeg

🙃

Just getting back into the routines from vacation. I didn't have a formal exercise or lifting session during the trip, but I'm going to count trying to keep up with and playing/swimming with the kids as exercise. I also ate mildly during the trip and when we went out to eat, I always took home half as leftover's for lunch. I forgot to weigh in this morning, but I'll do it tomorrow and see how I did. 

I am expecting to get a full body HIIT workout in on the Tonal tonight after work.

It was a good to catch up on everyone's progress! Welcome to the thread @JeremyD and Happy Birthday last week @FallenSaber!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

FFG Week 3/12 - Phase 1 - Velocity A - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/15133835587

Weight: 191.8

I think I kinda screwed up and went heavier on a squats and dumbbell bench that I was supposed to, but it felt good. I'll either drop some weight next week or keep it the same through Phase 2. Otherwise, good work out today. I've been able to shave about 10 minutes off of my time by knowing what's next and altering the sequence of the movements. I know it's not exactly by the book, but I don't have time to start on the third floor, then run down to the first floor, back up to the second, and then back down to one again. Homie don't play that.

image.png.c393111c71471e052c2cfd3f9e821b83.png

In other news, Saturday I blew past my deficit in style, drinking several beers doing yard work and then going out to dinner with my wife. I consumed almost 4,000 calories, which is the most I've put down in a day this year. Probably explains the explosive diarrhea yesterday. But, I reigned things in yesterday and had close to a normal day, going over my allotment but still maintaining a deficit. I'm not too worried about Saturday, I'm allowed to have some and one day won't kill me. 

Saturday

In: 3,933

Out: 2,632

Sunday

In: 1,840

Out: 2,431

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

14 minutes ago, jbern said:

Just getting back into the routines from vacation. I didn't have a formal exercise or lifting session during the trip, but I'm going to count trying to keep up with and playing/swimming with the kids as exercise. I also ate mildly during the trip and when we went out to eat, I always took home half as leftover's for lunch. I forgot to weigh in this morning, but I'll do it tomorrow and see how I did. 

I am expecting to get a full body HIIT workout in on the Tonal tonight after work.

It was a good to catch up on everyone's progress! Welcome to the thread @JeremyD and Happy Birthday last week @FallenSaber!

Where did you head down to? I normally hit up Sanibel / Ft. Myers area; we have cheap direct flights and found a resort that our family all loves. The area is really nice and weather is always fantastic!

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

8 hours ago, taylorjonasher said:

In other news, Saturday I blew past my deficit in style, drinking several beers doing yard work and then going out to dinner with my wife. I consumed almost 4,000 calories, which is the most I've put down in a day this year. Probably explains the explosive diarrhea yesterday. But, I reigned things in yesterday and had close to a normal day, going over my allotment but still maintaining a deficit. I'm not too worried about Saturday, I'm allowed to have some and one day won't kill me. 

Absolutely allowed a cheat day every once in a while!!

..just work twice as much and twice as hard over the following two days or else 😆

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Went to the gym late in the afternoon today, and it was PACKED. So much waiting. Don't these f'ng college kids have finals to study for? 

FFG Week 3/12 - Phase 1 - Velocity B - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/15158911337

Did the workout out of sequence again due to the masses of smart kids who can't figure out deodorant. Do these kids know that that smell will not get them laid? And it's not limited to onesie twosie, there's a legit army of onion-choppers taking up positions on each of the three floors. 

Concerning the workout itself, I pushed myself today and it was a good one. The flexibility is coming along, even after two weeks. I've felt a few small "releases" in my lower back that I've been trying to work out for several months, and I'm crediting it to FFG and the additional flexibility that is coming - kudos to you, Mike ( @Fit_For_Golf ). I'm looking forward to getting on the swing caddy after next week and seeing if any measurable speed progress has been made. Grinding in the garage (the Jon Taylor Performance Laboratory) on the mat, I feel like I have more depth and rotation in the swing; not necessarily more speed or power, but my ROM feels like it has increased. I'll get behind my own anecdotal feelings base science any day!

Weight: 186.4 (probably a little dehydrated) - but so close to the intermediate goal of 184. 

Yesterday's Intake: 1,678

Yesterday's Expenditure: 3,219

Big deficit yesterday, staying pretty disciplined with both caloric value and protein intake; been averaging around 160g for the last two weeks. 

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*