Toura Golf Irons Build Test: 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main post and build in the following links!

@azstu324 - Main Post 

@ctg44 - Main Post 

@David Leighton Reid - Main Post 

@JRDuck40 - Main Post

1 hour ago, JRDuck40 said:

My putter on the other hand, was not to be found. I three putted the first two holes, 3 3-putts as well. To be fair, the greens were rock hard and lightening fast. Still not excuse for the trash putting. 

Onward.  

I finally had my rebuilt putter checked for specs compared to it's original build specs after my old Costco-bought (and since returned) pull cart failed to stay in "brake" mode and rolled down a hill, over a rock, and my putter ended up bent last year.  Golf Galaxy supposedly rebuilt it to the original specs and it felt pretty close, but I have had this nagging feeling this summer something was off.  I went into PGA Tour Superstore Saturday morning to use the simulator because I wasn't going to get to the course that day due to having 3 hockey games to ref later on.  After my sim session, there was no one in line for their free putter fitting sessions, so I "signed in" and went through the process.  Turns out my putter was 3° toe up in lie angle and had 2° too much loft.  Since it's one of the Sik brand putters with Descending Loft Technology, having 5° of loft instead of 3° to start was a real problem, and having it at a 72° lie angle meant I was dealing with it being REALLY toe up all year.  No wonder I was hitting everything off the heel and leaving them short.

At any rate, the guy took it to their Mitchell machine and fixed it, and boom, I was back to draining everything, especially the 3-6' putts where I'd been struggling the most lately.  Their SAM putt lab device confirmed my putter was a good fit for me too, which is not surprising giving my normal strokes-gained putting is usually 2-3 per round against the average scratch golfer (though I'm currently FAR from scratch myself despite normally being a really good putter).  Hopefully, this will help me get back to averaging under 28 putts a round like I was last year before the cart accident.

I can't recommend getting your putter looked at and adjusted for you enough.   Just knowing I have it back to the right settings for me is confidence-inspiring and I can't wait to get it on the course.  I will say though, I was pleasantly surprised how well I putted with the Odyssey Ai-ONE #7 Cruiser.  I've never been a fan of, A) mallet putters in general, and B) armlock or counter-balanced putters at all, but this one was pretty nice.  Still, I didn't putt any better with it than I did my Sik with the PP58 corded grip, so why mess with what I know works (especially now that it's set properly again...begging the question of why I was so dumb that I didn't get that checked all summer...ugh!).

37 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

I finally had my rebuilt putter checked for specs compared to it's original build specs after my old Costco-bought (and since returned) pull cart failed to stay in "brake" mode and rolled down a hill, over a rock, and my putter ended up bent last year.  Golf Galaxy supposedly rebuilt it to the original specs and it felt pretty close, but I have had this nagging feeling this summer something was off.  I went into PGA Tour Superstore Saturday morning to use the simulator because I wasn't going to get to the course that day due to having 3 hockey games to ref later on.  After my sim session, there was no one in line for their free putter fitting sessions, so I "signed in" and went through the process.  Turns out my putter was 3° toe up in lie angle and had 2° too much loft.  Since it's one of the Sik brand putters with Descending Loft Technology, having 5° of loft instead of 3° to start was a real problem, and having it at a 72° lie angle meant I was dealing with it being REALLY toe up all year.  No wonder I was hitting everything off the heel and leaving them short.

At any rate, the guy took it to their Mitchell machine and fixed it, and boom, I was back to draining everything, especially the 3-6' putts where I'd been struggling the most lately.  Their SAM putt lab device confirmed my putter was a good fit for me too, which is not surprising giving my normal strokes-gained putting is usually 2-3 per round against the average scratch golfer (though I'm currently FAR from scratch myself despite normally being a really good putter).  Hopefully, this will help me get back to averaging under 28 putts a round like I was last year before the cart accident.

I can't recommend getting your putter looked at and adjusted for you enough.   Just knowing I have it back to the right settings for me is confidence-inspiring and I can't wait to get it on the course.  I will say though, I was pleasantly surprised how well I putted with the Odyssey Ai-ONE #7 Cruiser.  I've never been a fan of, A) mallet putters in general, and B) armlock or counter-balanced putters at all, but this one was pretty nice.  Still, I didn't putt any better with it than I did my Sik with the PP58 corded grip, so why mess with what I know works (especially now that it's set properly again...begging the question of why I was so dumb that I didn't get that checked all summer...ugh!).

That's not a bad idea. And to be 100% honest, I have never gone through a proper putter fitting. I know, I know. It's the one club you use the most. You cannot short change yourself and not be fit for a putter. That's my next BIG thing to take care of. At the moment, I'm just trying to log as much outdoor golf as humanly possible in the next few weeks. I have a very bad suspicion that the snow will be flying sooner than later in / around MKE. 

@azstu324 - LOVE that idea! It's not all that crazy of a contraption. Should be able to build it from all the scrap I have lying around the garage. Love that idea! 

D-Titleist TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w-Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB-Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons-4-PW Toura Golf JCB Japan Forged CB w/ TrueTemper S100 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo S

Ball - Titleist AVX 

9 minutes ago, JRDuck40 said:

That's not a bad idea. And to be 100% honest, I have never gone through a proper putter fitting. I know, I know. It's the one club you use the most. You cannot short change yourself and not be fit for a putter. That's my next BIG thing to take care of. At the moment, I'm just trying to log as much outdoor golf as humanly possible in the next few weeks. I have a very bad suspicion that the snow will be flying sooner than later in / around MKE. 

@azstu324 - LOVE that idea! It's not all that crazy of a contraption. Should be able to build it from all the scrap I have lying around the garage. Love that idea! 

Yeah, my son finally got assigned to the MSP last week, so he's looking for places to play there that are decent and cheap (because he's 19 and USA Hockey doesn't pay officials who are trying to make it to the pro hockey ranks very much) before he gets super busy with non-stop game schedules and the weather gets nasty.  Then again, he's as much of a golf sicko as I am, so as long as the course is open, he'll play in any weather.

@ctg44 I spent a ton of time up in / around MLPS in my early 20s. TON of great tracks around. Only issue is finding a tee time. U of M course is legit cool! https://golf.umn.edu/

Gross National is another fun track. My favorite around there is Edinburgh GC. It's a bit of a drive, but totally worth it. 

D-Titleist TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w-Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB-Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons-4-PW Toura Golf JCB Japan Forged CB w/ TrueTemper S100 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo S

Ball - Titleist AVX 

3 minutes ago, JRDuck40 said:

@ctg44 I spent a ton of time up in / around MLPS in my early 20s. TON of great tracks around. Only issue is finding a tee time. U of M course is legit cool! https://golf.umn.edu/

Gross National is another fun track. My favorite around there is Edinburgh GC. It's a bit of a drive, but totally worth it. 

Thank you!  I passed those onto him.  We'll see whether he has time to get out onto the course each week, as he has mandatory skating sessions on Tuesdays and is usually recovering from the very long weekends of working physical hockey 3 games in 3 cities in 3 nights with 3-4 hour drives each way on Mondays.  He might need to get himself a PGA Tour Superstore Players' Club Plus membership too, as that's a great way to get on a simulator cheaply and frequently.

One thing I have decided for the fall is that I need to rebuild my strength after 2 minor injuries from being absolutely killed by kids who are just big enough to take me out and can't skate falling at the absolute last second while skating at full speed about 3 weeks apart in September.  The 1st left me with a nasty sprained wrist and the 2nd with a sprained shoulder.  Neither were so bad that I couldn't stretch / tape / prep the injury well and still get out on the golf course a little bit, but iron play, particularly full swing iron shots, have been very hard for the past month.

Unfortunately, even after I shortened the @Toura Golf CB irons, they were still too heavy for me with the sore wrist and shoulder the past weekend, so I think I'm going to accelerate my search for graphite shafts this winter, as my elbows aren't getting any younger, and if they're going to keep getting abused when I'm reffing hockey, I'd better not add to it when hitting hundreds of golf balls a week.  Until I find something suitable to be able to properly set up the Touras, I'm going to leave them on the shelf for a few weeks and play the TaylorMade P7MCs, which are a lot less stressful on my wrists and elbows, even though they're similar in shaft length and also have X100 steel shafts, mainly because the P7MC heads are noticeably lighter than the Touras are club to club.  I know that he loved the feel of the CBs with his Recoil shafts, and my wife loves her Mizuno 923s with Recoil shafts, so maybe I will look at the Dart 105 shafts like I have in my P790 UDI and try 1-2 of those in a couple of the Touras.

Well, as fate usually has it, almost as soon as I posted the above message, I was on GolfWRX during lunch and saw someone post 2 sets of SteelFiber shafts that were basically the exact setup I was looking at a few weeks ago in a set of irons at PGA SS.  Since I didn't really want to buy new irons, but just find the right shaft for the @Toura Golf CB irons, I didn't really want to buy THEIR heads, strip those shafts, and then deal with reselling their heads...so I left the clubs to A) save my butt with the wife, and B) because they were overpriced for the amount of effort it would all take.  Today's find was a total of 13 shafts in good condition, 6 of which were pured, for $250 shipped to my door...or ya know, about 1/4 of the cost of buy that many SteelFiber shafts elsewhere.  Even decent used 5-PW sets that weren't pured were going for $250 on eBay this week, so to get the 4-PW and 5-PW sets both for that and have 1 of them be pured too, well, yeah, I wasn't going to pass that up.  

So I guess I know what I'm doing next Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon after work!

Now, to make the REALLY hard decision - do the pured ones go in the @Toura Golf CBs or the P7MCs? and which one gets a random shaft left in the PW? Hmmm...maybe I just do the pured ones in the Touras for now, use the 4 iron shaft from the 2nd set to build the Toura 4 iron, and go from there.

So folks, on a good note, it looks like we're going to get to revive the "build" part of this thread.  Need to find some ferrules to put on the new shafts before they get here next week.  Thinking of something that goes with the rusty / raw look of the Toura CBs better than the Red / White / Blue BB&F Co ones do, and can get here fast enough to be able to build them starting next Tuesday...which basically means Amazon....I don't want to do a totally boring option, and I don't want to do a collared ferrule, but definitely still want something that has some quality to it.  Anyone have any ideas?  

This is about all I've found and I'm leaning a little towards thinking these are on the boring end:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D3PQMTST/?th=1

20240606_084059.jpg

So, to clarify, the Amazon link is the option I can get in time to rebuild the irons next week, and the picture is my current Toura Build in case anyone is coming into this thread late.

7 hours ago, ctg44 said:

Well, as fate usually has it, almost as soon as I posted the above message, I was on GolfWRX during lunch and saw someone post 2 sets of SteelFiber shafts that were basically the exact setup I was looking at a few weeks ago in a set of irons at PGA SS.  Since I didn't really want to buy new irons, but just find the right shaft for the @Toura Golf CB irons, I didn't really want to buy THEIR heads, strip those shafts, and then deal with reselling their heads...so I left the clubs to A) save my butt with the wife, and B) because they were overpriced for the amount of effort it would all take.  Today's find was a total of 13 shafts in good condition, 6 of which were pured, for $250 shipped to my door...or ya know, about 1/4 of the cost of buy that many SteelFiber shafts elsewhere.  Even decent used 5-PW sets that weren't pured were going for $250 on eBay this week, so to get the 4-PW and 5-PW sets both for that and have 1 of them be pured too, well, yeah, I wasn't going to pass that up.  

So I guess I know what I'm doing next Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon after work!

Now, to make the REALLY hard decision - do the pured ones go in the @Toura Golf CBs or the P7MCs? and which one gets a random shaft left in the PW? Hmmm...maybe I just do the pured ones in the Touras for now, use the 4 iron shaft from the 2nd set to build the Toura 4 iron, and go from there.

So folks, on a good note, it looks like we're going to get to revive the "build" part of this thread.  Need to find some ferrules to put on the new shafts before they get here next week.  Thinking of something that goes with the rusty / raw look of the Toura CBs better than the Red / White / Blue BB&F Co ones do, and can get here fast enough to be able to build them starting next Tuesday...which basically means Amazon....I don't want to do a totally boring option, and I don't want to do a collared ferrule, but definitely still want something that has some quality to it.  Anyone have any ideas?  

This is about all I've found and I'm leaning a little towards thinking these are on the boring end:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D3PQMTST/?th=1

20240606_084059.jpg

As for the pured shafts, I've heard (don't take this as any type of validity) lol, that with good graphite, especially with shafts like the Steelfibers, the tolerances are so incredibly tight and precise, that Puring really doesn't do much. With steel it can be a different story, but even those are way tighter than they were when the Puring machine was created. So my answer.. it probably wouldn't matter which set they go I 😁.

As for the ferrules, BB&F is probably the move. They have way more options than anyone else and surely something to go with the patina on the irons. 

Lastly, there's no shame in the graphite game brother! I switched last month and love it! 

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I just grabbed a couple of sets of those that I linked from Amazon. If I hate them when I get them, Amazon will get them back and I will just have to wait for some to come in from BB&F.

The more I think about the ferrules though, the more I'm not sure on using anything from Amazon.  I've struggled with just about every ferrule I've ever bought from there before, and with graphite shafts in the mix, I really (REALLY) don't want to risk having to heat things back up to pull a bad ferrule install off and start over....sooooo, here's my list of options from BB&F Co. following my original gut instinct and the recommendation from @azstu324:  

These are roughly in the order I'm thinking of, but I'm really not sure if the 1st one is too "busy."  Looking for some feedback from the MGS team on what would go w/ my rusty @Toura Golf CBs the best without beingTOO flashy and yet not being TOO boring / bland (and I'm not fan of bright red, orange, gold, yellow, or brown, so those are kind of out).  Yeah, I'm being kind of annoyingly picky here, I know!

image.png.e81dda618c4534df3731efbc90148ea8.png

The goal is a clean / classic look, but do want them also to keep the high-quality, custom look they have now (other than the rustiness, ya know):

2 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

The more I think about the ferrules though, the more I'm not sure on using anything from Amazon.  I've struggled with just about every ferrule I've ever bought from there before, and with graphite shafts in the mix, I really (REALLY) don't want to risk having to heat things back up to pull a bad ferrule install off and start over....sooooo, here's my list of options from BB&F Co. following my original gut instinct and the recommendation from @azstu324:  

These are roughly in the order I'm thinking of, but I'm really not sure if the 1st one is too "busy."  Looking for some feedback from the MGS team on what would go w/ my rusty @Toura Golf CBs the best without beingTOO flashy and yet not being TOO boring / bland (and I'm not fan of bright red, orange, gold, yellow, or brown, so those are kind of out).  Yeah, I'm being kind of annoyingly picky here, I know!

The goal is a clean / classic look, but do want them also to keep the high-quality, custom look they have now (other than the rustiness, ya know):

Second go last with just a little bit of gold.

Yeah Amazon has been real hit or miss and had to do work work them in order to get them to fit on more than one occasion.

Temu same thing, but love the multi colored options they have.

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

14 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Second go last with just a little bit of gold.

Yeah Amazon has been real hit or miss and had to do work work them in order to get them to fit on more than one occasion.

Temu same thing, but love the multi colored options they have.

Yeah, that 2nd to last one does grab the accent colors of the Steelfiber shafts a bit, doesn't it.  Might be moving up the list a bit.  It's also on their fast delivery list, so there's that...

46 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

I love the blue/gray (my 2 favorite colors) 

2nd from the bottom with the copper/gold accent ring is also pretty sweet. 

There.. my $.02 😜

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I love the blue/gray (my 2 favorite colors) 

2nd from the bottom with the copper/gold accent ring is also pretty sweet. 

There.. my $.02 😜

Yeah, I'm thinking these are going to be the winners:  https://bbandfco.com/collections/fresh-designs/products/haunted-1 

Going to send back the ones from Amazon when the arrive....

4 hours ago, ctg44 said:

My vote is the second from the last. 

Play like a champion today!