Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

9 or 18?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• 9 holes
    • 18 holes
    • Yes to both! It's golf !

31 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I'd be curious to know the demographic breakdown of posters who don't like 9 vs those who do. As someone who started golf when my kids were a lot younger, I learned to embrace 9 holes and enjoy playing them due to time constraints. Even though the kids are older now and I don't have to be "dad taxi" I find that I still enjoy 9 and have no problem with that round if it's available to me.

I think for some, the age thing comes into play, but as was repeatedly mentioned, time constraints is probably the #1 reason.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

12 minutes ago, barney_bogey said:

Or 9 with 3 to warm up. I'm sure I'm not the only one that takes a bit to settle in.

B

I think I've seen somewhere that there is a course that has a warm up hole.   Thay would be awesome 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

6 minutes ago, barney_bogey said:

Or 9 with 3 to warm up. I'm sure I'm not the only one that takes a bit to settle in.

B

I usually start strong, even with no warm-up, and then start to fade.

If I bogie the first hole, that's usually a sign that I ought to pick up my ball and walk or ride off the course right then and there!

When I used to play in more formal, organized events, starting point in the shotgun starts
made more of a difference  to me than most participants.  At one outing, I finished 18th gross out of 144 because of a favorable starting point and a nice hot day helping me stay loose while I was trying to hang on.

in flux

I enjoy any golf I can get, but 9 is not enough.  I usually feel like 18 is not enough.  That's b/c I am such a slow starter (which I need to fix) that I usually don't start playing remotely well until hole 6 or 7.  I need to start planning on a warm-up 9.  Ha.

Edited by IndyBonzo

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

I think I've seen somewhere that there is a course that has a warm up hole.   Thay would be awesome 
Meadows Farms in VA has a warmup hole alongside a par 6. Haven't been out but can't wait to do so.

Cheers

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

I swear I remember Jack Nicklaus saying that golf should have been 14 holes.  But my memory could be faulty.

• :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

On 6/11/2024 at 2:16 PM, barney_bogey said:

I've always held that 12 holes would be perfect... But yeah I'll take 18 if I have the time.

Cheers
B

Interesting. A buddy of mine thinks courses should be comprised of three sets of six holes. From a time perspective, 12 might be close to perfect.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Edel Array B-1

Like others, time is a significant factor. I have been playing a lot of nine-hole rounds lately, typically on a weekday afternoon after work. I really like it for a variety of reasons, including: far less crowded, can finish in about 1.5 hours walking, allows me to play more times, even if fewer holes, and I can get home in time for dinner and spend time with the kids. I sometimes play nine holes with my kids, which is about all they can handle. If I'm being honest, sometimes it's all I can handle, too.

My complaint with nine holes is that it feels incomplete, especially if I am playing well. Yesterday, I shot a 39 and it would have been great to see if I could post a personal best for 18.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Edel Array B-1

On 6/11/2024 at 9:54 AM, Rob Person said:

Lately, and maybe it's due to the summer heat, but I've found myself gravitating towards only playing 9 holes. It allows me to get out and play, enjoy the game, but still leaves me energy and time to finish up other stuff too. Especially after a day working at the course. With 18 holes, I have to plan on 6 or 7 hours ou of the day to set aside. 30 minutes to load and prepare, 30 minutes to get there, 20 minutes warm up, 4 hours for the round, 15 minutes to cool down and recap, (if solo) 30 minutes home, 30 -45 minutes to unload and clean up.

I'm not sure how to track it as far as handicap goes either,  if I can at all.

Do you have a preference? 

My local 9-hole muni is within a mile of my house, so convenience plays a big part. That, along with family time and getting a quick round in while my wife is at work to minimize impact on home life. I play midweek evening league there and usually one or two weekend 9-hole rounds with different groups of friends. I'll only play 18 2-3x per month typically.

I like that I can get some golf in with friends (or solo) in a shorter overall time period. I try to get to the range a couple of times a week (or the sim when the weather is bad). I will always walk a 9-hole round, no matter how hot it is.

One big downside to our little muni is the lack of warm up facilities. No range or hitting nets. Just a putting green. Nets would be helpful as a minimum and a number of us have mentioned it to the new management company. Fingers crossed we get something sorted in future.

In terms of tracking scores and handicap, I use Arccos and that has (until the USGA decided to allow 9-hole rounds to count) combined consecutive 9-hole rounds to 18s for handicap submission. It's the least intrusive on the game of the apps I have used, but I acknowledge it's not a cheap option.

2024 WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST 9* w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix:callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

5 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

I enjoy any golf I can get, but 9 is not enough.  I usually feel like 18 is not enough.  That's b/c I am such a slow starter (which I need to fix) that I usually don't start playing remotely well until hole 6 or 7.  I need to start planning on a warm-up 9.  Ha.

I try to hit a small bucket before playing, but I've changed my approach doing so. Rather than hit 5 wedges, then 5 7-irons, etc., I'll hit a driver, then switch to an iron - kinda imitating playing the first hole. If the iron is off-target, simulate a pitch shot. Then, on to the 'second hole' mentally. Driver, different iron, etc.  Just to get into the physical/mental mode of hitting different clubs back-to-back. Just a thought.

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

I was always all-about playing 18, but I found a 9-hole course in SW Indianapolis that is in better condition than most 18-hole courses I've played this year.

Buffer Park is actually ranked in the Top 10 of 9-hole courses in the US. I hidden gem!

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

8 minutes ago, CudaKota66 said:

I was always all-about playing 18, but I found a 9-hole course in SW Indianapolis that is in better condition than most 18-hole courses I've played this year.

Buffer Park is actually ranked in the Top 10 of 9-hole courses in the US. I hidden gem!

I played Buffer Park the first week they were open this year (mid March) and it was in phenomenal condition. The fairways were like carpets and the greens were pure. It had rained for most of the week prior too. The staff do an amazing job on a tight budget. It's a cheap course too, likely due to location. My work uses Buffer for the midweek league that friends play in. I played last year, but switched to Zionsville this year as it's so close to me (<1 mile from home)!

I didn't realize Buffer was ranked that high, but I can believe it.

2024 WITB:

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix:callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

4 hours ago, CudaKota66 said:

I try to hit a small bucket before playing, but I've changed my approach doing so. Rather than hit 5 wedges, then 5 7-irons, etc., I'll hit a driver, then switch to an iron - kinda imitating playing the first hole. If the iron is off-target, simulate a pitch shot. Then, on to the 'second hole' mentally. Driver, different iron, etc.  Just to get into the physical/mental mode of hitting different clubs back-to-back. Just a thought.

When I'm at the range, after a warm up, I do similar. I will mentally play the first few holes, or a 9-hole round, at a course I know well and do the same. Hit it right? There are trees there, so I'll have to punch out.

I use the rangefinder to check range flag distances for that day so I can hit approach shots for target distances too, and try to hit a shot shape on command now and then to vary from my stock shot shape.

The only block work I'll do at the range is if I'm working on a swing change with a specific club.

Like Buffer, Zionsville lacks a practice range or hitting nets, so it's a 'start cold' kind of course. For there, I'll do some warming up at home- Crossover Symmetry bands, then some swings in the back yard picking a few different clubs to get a feel and 'grease the groove'. Then it's just let rip on the 1st hole and hope it goes well.lol

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

It’s apparent that we ( @CudaKota66 and @Indy_Oz) need to meet at Buffer Park and play 45 holes after work.  Maybe on the solstice that could happen. 

17 hours ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

Interesting. A buddy of mine thinks courses should be comprised of three sets of six holes. From a time perspective, 12 might be close to perfect.

I think I’ve just gotten so used to 18 being the number at this point that going back to 12 would make me leave feeling unsatisfied. At this point it’s a genie number we just can’t put back in the bottle. 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

I generally play 9 holes. I'm retired but there is still a lot of other stuff pulling at my shoe strings. As I get older and slower, walking 18 gets tougher. Our local courses are really reasonable for 9 holes, walking senior rates. So that allows me more down the road rounds to enjoy. I'm not opposed to 18 just saying.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

16 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

It’s apparent that we ( @CudaKota66 and @Indy_Oz) need to meet at Buffer Park and play 45 holes after work.  Maybe on the solstice that could happen. 

45? So you’re a sadomassochist… in that case maybe we just play Purgatory off the tips - just the 7666yds!? Should take about the same amount of time 😂😂

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

I much prefer to play 18. For whatever reason, I always seem to find something on the back 9 and play a little better. I will occasionally only play 9, but that's pretty rare. When I was doing league play, it was 9 holes and that's when I figured out I wasn't really a fan. 

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: LAB Mezz 1 max

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Bushnell ion elite  

for me it's typically based on how much time I have, in the summer I gravitate towards 18 holes, in the winter it's more 9... I often also play irregular number of holes. 5, 9, 14, 18 are typical (we have loops of 5, then 4 then... At the moment, I often play 14 after my workday,  that "enough" golf but not too long... particularly if there aren't too many people on the course!

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

I'm usually 18 but we have a 9 hole setup at the club you can play that is measured and has a WHS rating. 9 hole competitions are becoming more popular in Scotland and our club run 9 hole competitions every Wednesday  in Spring and Autumn, once sunset gets passed 9pm they switch it to 18 hole comps then switch back in August. 

At the course the 8th and 15th holes are right at the clubhouse. During the week I will go out for a round and try to get 18 in but if the pace of play is slow I can play the short course and go from the 8th to the 9th on the 9 hole course or cut in to 15 and play the last 4 holes to play 12 or continue on and come off at 15. If I'm really playing bad I can just chuck it at the 8th.

The R&A have recently started a 9 hole challenge where if you can get through regional qualifiers you get to play at The Open on the week prior to the Championship. i.e this year Royal Troon.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

In the summer, if I only have time to play 9 after work, I will do it.  My preference is always to play 18.  Playing 18 really allows me to get deeper into the game and it requires more attention and consistency.  It is a good muscle to flex.  Anyways, I love the game and if I cannot play but I can practice, I will do that and be fairly content.

WITB:  

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 Project X 6.0 55G

PXG 3W 16 degree set to 15 or 5W 18 Riptide CB 5.5 60G

PXG 19 and 22 degree hybrids MMT 70R

PXG 5-W Gen 4 ST irons Recoil Dart 75 F3

PXG 50, 54 MMT 70R and 60 MMT 60A SD wedges

Black Jack putter Stability Tour 

I would say it depends on how much time you have or how you're feeling. If I've just finished work I'll happily just do a quick 9 holes on the way home. It's a nice chance to get out and stretch the the legs.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

Any golf is for me. However, I am struggling in Ireland right now trying to walk 18, causes some issues with my legs that make it hard to swing and get through the ball. This is the first golf I have played since back fusion surgery. 

Played 18 the first day, but up and down some sandy dunes did me in. Yesterday was flat, but planned on only 9, but the leg issue kicked in around hole 6,and it was raining and blowing hard so 9 was fine. I will be trying to take a cart on the courses that allow it to see if that helps. I still have one more round where carts aren't allowed so I will see how it goes. 

Personally I don’t even think that 18 is enough. I love the game. I’d gladly play two rounds back to back, even in the heat!

TM stealth 2+ driver

callaway paradigm TD 3 wood

mizuno jpx-921 hm pro irons (4-G)

mizuno t22 54 degree

kirky sig 60 degree

odyssey 2-ball 

I have a 20 minute drive to the club so I want to play 18. Being retired I play M/W/F at 7:30 with a dozen guys. Always 18 holes unless we get rained out.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder