Distance vs Speed

Article

I read this article today and found it interesting. With switching to the mini driver recently to gain accuracy, my SS is about 2-4mph slower than the driver but I have gained distance because of the other conditions of launch and spin.

Has anyone else thought about this or experienced similar results?

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I'd say from personal experience, it make sense: get better control of your drives, and you won't need more speed to compensate & off-set the less-controlled drives. 

For myself, I have plenty of Launch Angle and solid swing speed (95mph avg for driver) but my Backspin hovers right at 2850-3100RPMs and absolutely decimates my driving distance. The issues is with my swing currently, but the few times I've been able to monitor-test a Low-Spin driver and get my swing to slow down a little and drop the RPMs to the 2250-2500RPM range, I instantly gained 9-14 yd's on my drives, going from 255yd avg. to 265-270yd avg. My swing speed average for those tests went down to about 90-92mph, but I gained good distance in doing so.

Driver:   2024 Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 9deg(wgt'd draw w/ hosel set +1&draw)
Hybrids:  2022 TSR2 - 3Hybrid(19Deg)
Irons:    2023 T790 5-9i,Pw,Aw - Dynamic Gold 115g Stiff
Wedges:   2024 Vokey SM10 55Deg(56Deg loft adj. -1) - same
Putter:   2004 Scotty Cameron Futura - 38.25", 4Deg Lie
Ball:     2020 Vice Pro, Callaway SuperHot/SuperSoft Matte

It’s a good indication your driver isn’t optimized for your swing.

If launch and spin are an issue with driver then you need a driver tuneup to make better contact have have better club delivery.

Launch and spin are caused by other factors. Dynamic loft, path, face angle, face to path, contact point on face.

Compare all the numbers on a launch monitor and see what the differences are and spray the face of the driver to see contact point.

i personally have not gained more distance with the mini driver, accuracy wasn’t anything significantly different. The mini driver was a shorter option off the tee instead of using a fairway wood

22 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s a good indication your driver isn’t optimized for your swing.

If launch and spin are an issue with driver then you need a driver tuneup to make better contact have have better club delivery.

Launch and spin are caused by other factors. Dynamic loft, path, face angle, face to path, contact point on face.

Compare all the numbers on a launch monitor and see what the differences are and spray the face of the driver to see contact point.

i personally have not gained more distance with the mini driver, accuracy wasn’t anything significantly different. The mini driver was a shorter option off the tee instead of using a fairway wood

Currently for my swing and in general, I need more loft on the driver.  I hit center face pretty well but my path is still steeper than it needs to be.  So much of it is mental.  Ha.  I plan on going to get fit soon for the driver. 

My mini has my driver shaft in it and I'm making center contact constantly.  I don't know if it's the smaller head and I just concentrate more or what mental block is there with the driver but even my coach is confused by it.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

For me - average recreational bogey golfer, and a good drive is 230 - my thinking is about hitting it better not harder; i.e. making better contact and getting a better smash factor with the swing speed that I have.

I have been fit for the driver, but I continue to tinker with shafts and hosel and weight settings as my swing evolves. 

Currently thinking about testing (range, no LM) lofting down from 12°.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric trolley.
Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or Vice Pro Air. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

@Josh Parker I hope others will chime in on this. But it was either Arrcos, or maybe Mark Broadie’s book “Every Shot Counts”, that suggested a drive that is off the fairway is but farther than a drive landing in the fairway is better for your score on that hole. I know it was a head scratcher when I read this.  If I can find the reference I will edit and update. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

A few years ago I got on the I need more ball speed train and I have regretted it everyday. I went to a fitter and I told him that I need more ball speed and he fit me into the Cobra Speed Zone and I was in the high 150s but on the trackman I wasn't really seeing any distance gains and the fitter convinced me it was the trackman not me, so I bought the driver. All the trackman numbers were spot on and I wasted a bunch of money and time because on top of it I bought some speed trainers and got my swing speed up to the 115 area but still not the distance I was hoping for. So I finally decided to give PXG a try and during my fitting (with the same guy who fits me for irons) and he asked me in the fitting to slow my swing down and focus on my transitions and he would dial the club in to do the rest and he did. My ball speed is down but my launch and spin are way better and my swing is smooth not fast and I now hit 290 to 310 about every hit compared to 250 to 300 so I would say this article is spot on and thank you for sharing. 

Driver: :PXG:BlackOps w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60

Utility: :cleveland-small:  UHX Utility 18 and 20 degree w/

Irons: G through 6 :PXG: GEN5 T w/ KBS Tour 120 S

Wedges: :PXG: Sugar daddy II 52, 54, and 58 degree w/ KBS Tour 120 SKBS Tour 120 S

Putter:  :PXG: 33In Closer

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

8 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

@Josh Parker I hope others will chime in on this. But it was either Arrcos, or maybe Mark Broadie’s book “Every Shot Counts”, that suggested a drive that is off the fairway is but farther than a drive landing in the fairway is better for your score on that hole. I know it was a head scratcher when I read this.  If I can find the reference I will edit and update. 

I remember seeing this, perhaps on this forum.  I would think mitigating factors would be how penal the rough is and the speed of the player.  A slow swing speed player may only be able to wedge the ball back to the fairway.  I remember that happening to me a few years back when our club was letting the rough grow before the club championship.  I was only about 130 yards from the green in the rough but was only able to advance the ball about 20 yards with a sand wedge. I would definitely have been better off in the fairway at 150 yards.  Bryson De Chambeau, on the other hand, would have had no problem with the lie.

Edited by Hook DeLoft

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

8 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

The topic of discussion is about players that choose to lay back or hit shorter clubs off the tee and sacrifice distance to get accuracy.     Lou Stagner; who analyzes data discusses this topic in one of his weekly newsletters:  https://newsletter.loustagnergolf.com/p/fairway-vs-rough

Yes,  course conditions do influence decisions,  but his summary in the article:

Remember, these numbers are across “typical” conditions. If they keep the rough at your course US Open length and thickness, these numbers will be a bit different, but this should give you a good baseline.

Our old rule of “hit the ball as far as YOU can making sure to take into account penalty strokes and other hazards” still applies. If you are worried about hitting more fairways, no need. Any tee shot that gives you a reasonable chance to hit a green in regulation is a good tee shot, even if it’s in the rough!

Finally, for higher handicap players notice that as we get farther from the hole, the scoring difference between the fairway and rough basically disappears.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

While the two factors go together, it is not an exact thing.  I have a tendency to over swing sometimes, which leads to some bad results (in both distance and accuracy).

I have found a smoother and shorter swing results in finding the center of the club face more often, which also resulted in better distance and accuracy.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter