Actually helpful driver drills

Anyone have any helpful driver drills they do on the range that got rid of their slice? I’m hitting my irons and hybrids more consistently and my 3W off the tee is averaging 230-240. My driver is still to inconsistent though for me to trust it on the course. Anyone have any helpful drills to reduce a slice that they have actually done and got good results?

Driver - Callaway XR

3W - Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3H - Taylormade M2 2017

4H - Taylormade M2 2017

5i-48* - Titleist AP3

56* - Titleist Vokey SM8

58* - Titleist Vokey SM5

Putter - Taylormade Spider X

Don’t know what up are doing wrong so can provide a drill.  

reach out to an instructor., this one guarantees he will,fix a slice in 30 minutes  https://www.instagram.com/dr.luke.benoit.golf/reel/Crk-dTxpmJL/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Auditions ongoing 🤣

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Drills have to be specific to a swing issue.

there are multiple things that are causing your swing to produce a slice. So you need to identify what is wrong with the swing and address the biggest issue first and see how that changes the rest of the other issues.

More than likely you have one or several of the following things happening in the swing. Not hinging the wrists properly. Club head getting inside and behind the hands early in the swing leading to an over the top swing with an open face.

Pressure shifting properly is probably a big issue too.

but without seeing your swing nobody can give an appropriate drill and your guess by going on youtube to fix a slice would be as good as anyone’s here

On 7/29/2024 at 9:25 AM, arobledo1293 said:

Anyone have any helpful driver drills they do on the range that got rid of their slice? I’m hitting my irons and hybrids more consistently and my 3W off the tee is averaging 230-240. My driver is still to inconsistent though for me to trust it on the course. Anyone have any helpful drills to reduce a slice that they have actually done and got good results?

I used to battle a high right fade (It was a banana slice). Not sure if it works for everyone but I did sort out a buddies slice with a couple tweaks. 

Essentially the slice/fade comes from a club path that is across the ball from out to in combined with an open face. So to focus on straightening my path of the club and also squaring the face I had a few drills. This is often caused from lagging hands or slappy hands like a baseball swing. 

The first drill is currently still my go to warmup drill. Set up to the ball with your driver and take a controlled arm swing. Do not move your lower body at all. Focus on trying to hit the ball "over" your left shoulder. Essentially the intent is to start getting the feel for a baby draw. I do this until I can make three consecutive balls land 15-20 yards off target left. (Usually takes 5-10 balls to get the feeling down) I then move into hitting straight balls with some lower body included. (Again, trying to hit 3 solid balls in a row) After that warm up I start to dial up the swing to an 85% swing MAX. Once you get that 85% down and repeatable on the course you can try and lean into one here and there but that almost always is a bad idea.

The second drill I recently got into has helped maintain my form. This naturally aids in removing that slice shot. If you dont already have alignment sticks, get them. Hardware store sells them for 2-3$. I take the alignment stick and try and match the swing plane off my back foot. It becomes a visual point to swing along as well as a physical barrier to avoid in the downswing. See the intent in the pic below with the red arrow. This is just a stock image but if you are on grass you can take the stick and push it into the ground. Helped me solidify that straight on face impact and reduce the variables included in the downswing.

image.png.a29eb2fb5c873ad6cf337b9af4365d3f.png

As with the other comments above. These are drills that I picked up from an instructor who gave me them. That will likely benefit you the most rather than going out and picking apart swing videos yourself. 

Edited by CorporateGolfRat

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

1 hour ago, CorporateGolfRat said:

I used to battle a high right fade (It was a banana slice). Not sure if it works for everyone but I did sort out a buddies slice with a couple tweaks. 

Essentially the slice/fade comes from a club path that is across the ball from out to in combined with an open face. So to focus on straightening my path of the club and also squaring the face I had a few drills. This is often caused from lagging hands or slappy hands like a baseball swing. 

The first drill is currently still my go to warmup drill. Set up to the ball with your driver and take a controlled arm swing. Do not move your lower body at all. Focus on trying to hit the ball "over" your left shoulder. Essentially the intent is to start getting the feel for a baby draw. I do this until I can make three consecutive balls land 15-20 yards off target left. (Usually takes 5-10 balls to get the feeling down) I then move into hitting straight balls with some lower body included. (Again, trying to hit 3 solid balls in a row) After that warm up I start to dial up the swing to an 85% swing MAX. Once you get that 85% down and repeatable on the course you can try and lean into one here and there but that almost always is a bad idea.

The second drill I recently got into has helped maintain my form. This naturally aids in removing that slice shot. If you dont already have alignment sticks, get them. Hardware store sells them for 2-3$. I take the alignment stick and try and match the swing plane off my back foot. It becomes a visual point to swing along as well as a physical barrier to avoid in the downswing. See the intent in the pic below with the red arrow. This is just a stock image but if you are on grass you can take the stick and push it into the ground. Helped me solidify that straight on face impact and reduce the variables included in the downswing.

image.png.a29eb2fb5c873ad6cf337b9af4365d3f.png

As with the other comments above. These are drills that I picked up from an instructor who gave me them. That will likely benefit you the most rather than going out and picking apart swing videos yourself. 

I’ll have to give these a try. 

Driver - Callaway XR

3W - Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3H - Taylormade M2 2017

4H - Taylormade M2 2017

5i-48* - Titleist AP3

56* - Titleist Vokey SM8

58* - Titleist Vokey SM5

Putter - Taylormade Spider X

• 3 weeks later...

As other's mentioned, it's hard to tell without seeing your swing and ball flight.

Common thing I dealt with that I see many people deal with is setup. Couple of things to check.

1. Are your shoulders square? If they are pointed far left, you're gonna slice(For RH). An instructor once told me to feel like my back is to the target.

2. Check your grip. How many knuckles can you see on your left hand? Going slightly stronger(more knuckles) may help. Your right hand might need to move counterclockwise to get you to turn over and close the face.

3. Check your Swing path. Use an alignment stick stick into the ground about 2 feet behind your back foot at the angle of your swing plane. Practice taking your back swing, and then looping inside of the alignment stick to give you the sensation of coming inside out on your path. Saw my brother in law go from giant slices to a baby fade with this drill. Here is a version of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUgePT5FVAo)

4. Where are you impacting on the clubface? Heel shots slice like crazy so you may need to find some drills for hitting the club face in the center, or adjust your distance from the ball.

Again, take all of this with a grain of salt, have no idea what your swing looks like, but these have helped me be able to go from a slicer to now be able to work the ball both ways consistently.

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Sub 70 JB Full Groove 54* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X