Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

LAB Putter Experiences

Hosel Rocket

I shook my head in disbelief and looked at the (oblivious) store staff multiple times. I simply couldn't believe what I was seeing doing. With a LAB Counterbalanced putter in my hands, I was draining +50% of my 8-12 foot putts in the store. I've long suspected that the "practice greens" in stores are set up to be friendlier than real-world conditions, so I expected to catch an employee snickering with the slightest of fist pumps, thinking he was out of sight. But no. It was just me, the putter, and a half dozen cast-off balls no one would consider pocketing. 

Had Tom Watson momentarily assumed control of my body? Or was there something to this science? 

I quickly grabbed a similar-looking Odyssey putter, thinking, "Either this practice area is rigged, or I'm just hot," and proceeded to make one out of my next 15. I went back to the LAB, and I picked up right where I had left off. 

Then it happened. I looked at the price tag. Now, I knew going in that LABs were pricey items, but I was shook from my blossoming love affair right quick. The particular model I was wielding had the Accra shaft, so we're talking just over $600. 

I immediately started justifying the price in my head. "You use this club more than any other." "It's one of the fastest ways to improve." "It's just like you, odd-looking but reliable." 

But $600... 

I know that a club always performs better before you've paid for it. However... It just worked. Is this the exception? I know the right answer is to go back and give it another test run in a few days, but...

Is it possible for a putter to improve you that much? What experiences are others having? How long did the honeymoon last before reality set in, and are you still satisfied with the club? 

D - Ping G430 LST

3H - Titleist TSr2

Irons - Ping i5

Wedges - Ping Tour

Putter - Ping Craz-E

There are people that they have performed well for and  there are people that they did not.   Depending on your viewpoint putters can help you putt better or they are just a piece of metal on the end of a stick.    I had a DF 2.1 in my bag for a while and it is no longer there;  on course performance was worse than other putters I had. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was selected to test the LAB putter and it has not left the bag since. 

The looks can be off putting however it works.  Im a fan

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I have the DF2.1 and don't see it leaving the bag anytime soon.  It works for my putting stroke and most importantly, confidence. If it works for you, it's worth it.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

2 hours ago, McGolf said:

I was selected to test the LAB putter and it has not left the bag since. 

The looks can be off putting however it works.  Im a fan

I've currently got an old Ping Craz-E in my bag, so looks clearly aren't something I'm too concerned about. But I get your point. 

D - Ping G430 LST

3H - Titleist TSr2

Irons - Ping i5

Wedges - Ping Tour

Putter - Ping Craz-E

My MEZZ.1 has been in my bag for 3 years.  I've had one, terrible day of putting in that time.

Head to head against others it stood tall when I realized I was making fewer 3-putts and was also making more putts outside 8 feet.

It's not voodoo, it just works...but only if you keep an open mind and stay patient.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

My MEZZ.1 has been in my bag for 3 years.  I've had one, terrible day of putting in that time.

Head to head against others it stood tall when I realized I was making fewer 3-putts and was also making more putts outside 8 feet.

It's not voodoo, it just works...but only if you keep an open mind and stay patient.

I honestly looked around for hidden cameras. It was so confidence inspiring. 

D - Ping G430 LST

3H - Titleist TSr2

Irons - Ping i5

Wedges - Ping Tour

Putter - Ping Craz-E

I have had the DF3 in my bag for about a month. It is a lighter putter than what I am used to (Odyssey 2 ball  10 armlock) but it has found a home in my bag. Played yesterday and made only one birdie. A down hiller from about 10 feet. 

I had 11 other putts that stopped within 3 inches of the hole(shot a 5 over 79). All but 2 just short. I am still working on the speed part.  To me it has been worth every one of those cringe-worthy dollars.

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

3 minutes ago, EnderinAZ said:

I have had the DF3 in my bag for about a month. It is a lighter putter than what I am used to (Odyssey 2 ball  10 armlock) but it has found a home in my bag. Played yesterday and made only one birdie. A down hiller from about 10 feet. 

I had 11 other putts that stopped within 3 inches of the hole(shot a 5 over 79). All but 2 just short. I am still working on the speed part.  To me it has been worth every one of those cringe-worthy dollars.

I typically only have 2-3 realistic opportunities at birdie per round, so if I had tap in pars, I'd consider this a big plus for me right now. On the other hand, maybe I feel like I only have 2-3 realistic birdie opps per round because I don't roll the ball consistently with my current putter. Hmmm... That's a bit of an epiphany. 

D - Ping G430 LST

3H - Titleist TSr2

Irons - Ping i5

Wedges - Ping Tour

Putter - Ping Craz-E

I have been struggling with a similar dilemma with my LAB putter. I have been gaming the Mezz Max for over a year (did try the Link for 3-4 rounds, but the Mezz won out) and immediately noticed a difference with how well the ball rolled when putting (end over end).. it also immediately highlighted how poorly I can read greens.

I have always been a good not great putter (averaging 2 putts per hole over a season), and lately I have been seeing an increase in both 1 putts (yay!) but also 3-4 putts (boo!). While I firmly believe that the physics behind the putter are beneficial, I am not entirely sure that the putter fits me and my game the best. I seem to be one of the few that are experiencing this.

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

1 hour ago, KurtActual said:

Arccos just laughs at me when I select my putting statistics on my dashboard. I am in a similar boat as the OP, I was sinking or scaring the hole on most of my putts at the store yesterday. Someday-somehow a Mezz will be in my bag.

I went back to the store to try the DF3 last night. If I had a repeat performance, I was prepared to take it home and suffer whatever verbal lashing I received. 

It wasn't as magical though. I don't know what the difference was. Ok... The difference was me, obviously. I still like the putter and think I may have one in my bag eventually. But I'm glad I took the second look and was able to pump the brakes before I dropped $600 on one. 

Off to eBay to see what people have discarded...

D - Ping G430 LST

3H - Titleist TSr2

Irons - Ping i5

Wedges - Ping Tour

Putter - Ping Craz-E

39 minutes ago, Hosel Rocket said:

I went back to the store to try the DF3 last night. If I had a repeat performance, I was prepared to take it home and suffer whatever verbal lashing I received. 

It wasn't as magical though. I don't know what the difference was. Ok... The difference was me, obviously. I still like the putter and think I may have one in my bag eventually. But I'm glad I took the second look and was able to pump the brakes before I dropped $600 on one. 

noOff to eBay to see what people have discarded...

I have been a LAB convert for 4+ years.  Get fitted by LAB online.  Then you can find one in your specs elsewhere.  I wholeheartedly recommend them.  Once you learn to consistently let the putter do its thing without manipulation, you will be get to that honeymoon phase almost in perpetuity.  Glad you were able to see what is possible with these things!!

GD

53 minutes ago, Hosel Rocket said:

Off to eBay to see what people have discarded...

They're still $400 with a stock shaft on ebay! Maybe I'll get injured on a Metro bus someday and get a huge settlement haha

golf is fun

1 hour ago, manVSgolf said:

I have been a LAB convert for 4+ years.  Get fitted by LAB online.  Then you can find one in your specs elsewhere.  I wholeheartedly recommend them.  Once you learn to consistently let the putter do its thing without manipulation, you will be get to that honeymoon phase almost in perpetuity.  Glad you were able to see what is possible with these things!!

Wait... LAB will fit me online and I don't have to buy direct from them?!

D - Ping G430 LST

3H - Titleist TSr2

Irons - Ping i5

Wedges - Ping Tour

Putter - Ping Craz-E

43 minutes ago, Hosel Rocket said:

Wait... LAB will fit me online and I don't have to buy direct from them?!

I'll answer myself. "Yes."

D - Ping G430 LST

3H - Titleist TSr2

Irons - Ping i5

Wedges - Ping Tour

Putter - Ping Craz-E

I've gamed an Evnroll putter for years - in fact mygolfspy rolled me in that direction with their feature on the "SweetFace" technology the putters have. I put my hands on a gravity grip and told myself (and playing partners) I will never buy another putter again. 

LAB made me a liar. 

It kept intriguing me the more videos' I watched, the more posts and reviews I read.  I had to try one. I had to be able to say LAB doesnt work for me, and my baby will stay in my bag forever as I had been saying over the last 5 years. 

I picked up a LAB Link with an Accra shaft and there are some growing pains. I truly believe we all have been conditioned to manipulate the putter in one way or another. After doing the recommended "thumbs off" drill and watching the ball roll end over end on the same start line 50 times, I knew this putter was different. That in my opinion is the strength of LAB. Let the putter do its thing, and it will start on the exact line you intended. 

KB

Titleist GT 3 - Aretera Grey One 75 | 5

Callaway AI Mini Driver - 11.5 - Aretera Grey One 75 | 5

Titleist T100's - Axiom 125x

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54

Titleist SM10 58 wedge

Sik Jo Armlock 

For me the moment of truth was seeing how big the sweet spot was. (I use a DF3.)  It's made the most positive difference for me on long / lag putts, where something being even slightly off gets magnified so much more.

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

They are expensive, but demand is still high. Especially for the newer models. If you want to get a used one, keep an eye on local Facebook groups and golf forums. I got my Mezz for under 400 with an upgraded shaft off GolfWRX Classifieds. I live in Texas and I am in a Texas Buy/Sell Facebook group. I see them from time to time in that price range.

Driver: G430 10k

3W: Sim2 Max 5W: Stealth Max

4H: Sim 2 5H: TSR2

6-7i: Zx5 Mkii

8-P: Zx7 Mkii

48, 54, 58 SM10

Lab Mezz 1

• 2 weeks later...

So... I bought a DF3 CB. I went through the online fitting process and found one on FB Marketplace that caught my eye. After some initial trepidation about dropping a bunch of money on something literally all the way across the country, I committed to it. 

I've spent an hour on a practice green at the local course and here are my thoughts:

1) It's not automatic... but it's significantly better than my current putter. If I take the time to line up anything relatively flat from 3-10 feet, I've already got more confidence than I previously did. 

2) The thumbs off thing is pretty cool. I'm experimenting with all sorts of grips while I feel this thing out, but thumbs off is a fun tool/exercise. 

3) Lag putting is a bit perplexing, but coming along. I can putt three balls from the same spot, feel like I put the same effort into the stroke, and... what happened? It'll come, but I'm left shaking my head every once in a while. 

4) Did I mention it's already boosting my confidence? I'm finding already that I'm putting more pace on my putts because I'm not worried about running it 3 feet by. I'd obviously like to not putt it three feet by, but the point is, I feel more free to be aggressive with my pace because I'm gaining confidence in nailing whatever come-backer I'm left with. 

This will be a growing process, I'm sure, but I'm excited to work on my putting for the first time in forever. I might even build a putting green in my barn for the winter. Never thought I'd say those words! 

D - Ping G430 LST

3H - Titleist TSr2

Irons - Ping i5

Wedges - Ping Tour

Putter - Ping Craz-E

I'm still dialing in speed with my DF3. I read a comment on the LAB Facebook group that mentioned forward pressing even beyond what the grip already does helped this person with their pace. My question is, does anyone with the standard length DF3 add more forward press (beyond the 1.5, 2 and 3 degrees of forward press built into the grips) to their setup?

I absolutely love my lab. So much so I have 2 now and going to get a third when the right deal appears. 

I was struggling with putting and saw a broomstick on marketplace so I gave it a whirl. Immediately I was hitting straighter but I lost all touch with distance. 

Traded it for a Counter Balance DF3 and have been killing it since adapting. I had great distance control with my old putter but I'd frequently pull or push a putt. Now if I miss the cup it's an alignment or read error and the LAB does exactly what it claims to do for me. I haven't pushed or pulled a putt since getting the DF3 and I've found I was much better at reading greens than I thought and the feel is there😁

20240830_090428.jpg

20240830_090438.jpg

20240907_171743.jpg

20240907_171747.jpg

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

PXG came out with a zero torque putter, Allan, a few weeks ago.  I spent about 30 minutes yesterday hitting balls, at the new PXG retail store in San Diego near Torrey Pines (and across the street for real from the Miramar Top Gun military air base, now Marines, prev. it was Navy).  I love it and am going to buy one after my eye gets fixed.  It is $450, choice of a bunch of grips.  I putt normal length club, 34", cross handed.  I was thiniking of gettting a L.A.B. fitting but I probably wll pass now that PXG has a luvvy duvvy one.  It has funny, full heel hang.  When I balanced it on my finger the face faced me straight up and down.  It takes no time to adjust to it. 

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

Interested to get the communities view of a lab putter for a naturally arcing stroke. I’d imagine that it would be oil and water but even an arced stroke can definitely benefit from a more square clubface. Interested to hear!

TSR3

RBZ Stage 2 3 wood

913H 3 hybrid

910H 4 hybrid

Taylormade P7MC irons (5-PW)

Vokey Wedges

Odyssey Toulon Atlanta putter

7 minutes ago, marfau23 said:

Interested to get the communities view of a lab putter for a naturally arcing stroke. I’d imagine that it would be oil and water but even an arced stroke can definitely benefit from a more square clubface. Interested to hear!

If look8mg at the putter head, all strokes have a “natural arc”.  Per the LAB website (https://labgolf.com/pages/lie-angle-balance-technology)

Lie Angle Balance (L.A.B.) Technology makes it effortless for golfers to deliver a square putter face at impact because, unlike other putters, it keeps the putter face square to the arc throughout the stroke. It makes putting as easy as picking the right line, the right speed, and making your natural stroke.

So no oil and water, putter head arc during the stroke and the amount will vary; typically based on how close or far you stand from the ball.  You can read the forum and just like any other club there are people that think the are the best putter ever and others that think they are no better than any other putter. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My Mezz has really improved my putting, and it is indeed a big expense, but unlike drivers these will last a long time!

Callaway Epic Max LS Driver, TM Sim Max 3 wood, TM Sim Max 2 5 wood, Sub 70 699 Pro v2 Utility Black 2i, 4 hybrid, Ping G410 5-U, Callaway Jaws 56 & 60, L.A.B. Mezz.1 putter. All fitted with Arccos sensors. Callaway bag and Kaddey Switch cart.

On 9/12/2024 at 12:42 PM, slay4klay said:

I'm still dialing in speed with my DF3. I read a comment on the LAB Facebook group that mentioned forward pressing even beyond what the grip already does helped this person with their pace. My question is, does anyone with the standard length DF3 add more forward press (beyond the 1.5, 2 and 3 degrees of forward press built into the grips) to their setup?

I have the pistol grip on my DF2.1 and would say I still press slightly.  It's a feel for me and a routine.  I want to make sure my process is the same everytime I step up to a putt. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

8 hours ago, Eduard said:

My Mezz has really improved my putting, and it is indeed a big expense, but unlike drivers these will last a long time!

Thats what the Odyssey in your signature thought too haha

Edited by KurtActual

golf is fun

24 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Thats what the Odyssey in your signature though too haha

Oh damn, hadn't updated that in a while, but the Odyssey was a cheap one off the rack, so def not a 600$ putter!

Callaway Epic Max LS Driver, TM Sim Max 3 wood, TM Sim Max 2 5 wood, Sub 70 699 Pro v2 Utility Black 2i, 4 hybrid, Ping G410 5-U, Callaway Jaws 56 & 60, L.A.B. Mezz.1 putter. All fitted with Arccos sensors. Callaway bag and Kaddey Switch cart.

I've played with a L.A.B. putter for multiple years now. I started 2.5 years ago with the DF 2.1 that I did on online fitting with them for. Ordered directly from them and at the time Sam actually said he had one that was a closeout/return that was exactly what I needed but it was Blue in color. He gave me the custom putter at the cost of a standard putter and I loved it,, made many, many more puts but wasn't the biggest fan of the massive size!

Tuning in last November I purchased a new L.A.B. putter! I got the MezzMax in the same length and lie as my DF2.1 but this was a standard black standard alignment etc. I've gamed it nearly a full season now and love it even more than the previous DF2.1. I think that is mainly due to the size difference but with that same balance and accuracy. 

I'm from a small southeast Kansas town that doesn't have many people that try new things and I got a lot of flak especially with the mass of the DF2.1 when I bought it. People noticed that I was putting much, much better over time though. Once I got the MezzMax they were quick to question about it and in turn we now have 3 guys locally playing them and one of my best friends is finally starting to work on making the switch as well. If you've debated on it I would say go for it!

The only thing that really takes some getting use to is the centered shaft as well as a forward pressed grip. You don't have to use the forward press but I do recommend it. Once you get use to it, it's so easy to put with. 

L.A.B. Rat among a mixed bag of goodness that works for my game. Ping, Cobra, Mizuno.