Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

PXG Allan Putter - 2024 Forum Review

4 minutes ago, musicalmedicine said:

Any plans to do some testing with the various weights? 

We will see. I am sure I will tinker with them some. But right now the weight feels really good. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to PXG Allan Putter - 2024 Forum Review
7 hours ago, musicalmedicine said:

When your hotel doesn’t have a golf course, make your hotel room the golf course.

Not part of my planned testing, but I’m happy to say the Allen passed Southwest’s baggage handler’s durability test. 
IMG_8786.jpeg.06335202dcbec3f6c5ccbbfd7b8ae556.jpeg

only for the trip out, wait until the return trip before you make that claim on the durability test.  lol

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

3 hours ago, bama no 1 said:

only for the trip out, wait until the return trip before you make that claim on the durability test.  lol

Good point

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6 X

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º S-10° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:ping-small: S159 60° H-8° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ review

Took the day off. Headed to play 18. Will do more of a full intro into me, my over all game, and first round impressions.

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

15 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

We will see. I am sure I will tinker with them some. But right now the weight feels really good. 

I don't remember, but does the putter come with additional weights at no charge?

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

3 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

I don't remember, but does the putter come with additional weights at no charge?

I don’t believe so. I think that was something the rep throw in. 

Ok, I wanted to take this moment after I just got done playing 9 holes to kinda introduce who I am as a golfer. I play pretty well. Currently my handicap is about a 1. My biggest strength is that I can hit the ball pretty far for a 44 year old not super skilled golfer. I can shoot anywhere from even to in the low 80s. A lot of that depends on if I am hitting driver well and if I am making putts. I have been playing since I was a freshman in highschool so about 30 years at this point. I still have a strong drive to get better and my wife hates that I like golf and have golf related items that are constantly spread around the house. 

Below is a quick look at my back. Like most gear junkies it is mostly stuff from the past year or so. 

IMG_5409.jpeg.f0b0417179fabdd47dfabc657a3040a2.jpeg

I dont hold on to a ton of stuff but here are the past 3 putters. I have used. You can see they are all pretty different. Especially if you look at toe hang. For about a year and a half I used the newest version of the 8802 putter. I really liked it. I feel that my putting is probably the weakest part of my game. But I honestly feel that my stroke is pretty good. I just suck at reading putts. Most recently I picked up this Toulon Seattle putter. That was largely prompted by Scottie Scheffler and him putting the Spider crank neck in play and winning everything. I saw this Toulon in a used bin. It is basically in perfect shape, and it was a killer deal. So I snatched it up. 

One thing in relation to the Allen that this picture shows pretty well is the idea of toe hang. From the the 8802 which is pretty much 100% toe hang, to the Allen that is what, reverse toe hang? then you have the Toulon that is basically 45 degrees of hang that is pretty common. you can see how different putters hang, and they variations of torque that they would create. 

IMG_5418.jpeg.f8271df898b0fc9eb0df7c828f67257f.jpeg

Here are some stats from my golf. I average 33 putts/18 holes, with typically a little over one 3 putt per round. 

IMG_5415.png.487d40d6bca7c313b983b449a7b2e243.png

Today, with the Allen, I had a pretty good 9 holes of putting. 13 putts is pretty wow!! Was it a honeymoon day? Was it that I was hitting it closer to the hole today and didnt have many knee knocker 3-5 footers for par? All possible. 

But, I know that I had to hit a few longer putts and I felt very comfortable today. So, initial impressions are favorable. 

image.png.d90a1015390988b4657e93e18841feb2.png

IMG_5414.png

Edited by Quigleyd

Some other impressions of the Allen during my round. 

1. I really like the feel. It is a weird hard to describe feeling of milled solidness and feedback and insert softness. It is hard to put my finger on. But that is the best way I can describe it. 

2. The ball seems to come off the face slow'er.. After my round, I went to the putting green to just roll some putts and make some comparisons to the putter I was using before this one. The Toulon seattle. I rolled a few putts with the Allen, then with the toulon. The Toulon went zooming by. I was like woah! Where is that going?! That the ball comes off the face of the Allen with a little less pace to me is a good thing. Once accustomed, you could potentially get the feeling that you can be a little more aggressive. When you can be aggressive putting, that usually means a more solid stroke. Which potentially leads to more made putts. We will have to see how this plays out over a few rounds.. Some of this is theoretical at this point. 

3. The balance of this putter and the over all blacked out look with the M16 (blacked out) shaft is great! 

Overall first our first date was good and there is room for a second date and hopefully some scoring. 

P.S. while not really a big deal to me. It may be worth mentioning, that the headcover is very quality and seems very well made. I am glad it is magnetic and not Velcro.. I am not one that cares a ton about headcovers but there are some aficionados out there that it could be a big deal too.