Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

SCOR V-sole

I've read their marketing stuff and I am still left with some uncertainty.

So I guess my question is....what...if anything...are you doing differently with the SCOR wedges to take advantage of the V-Sole or the SCOR wedge in general?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

BK, I've yet to use my SCORs outside, so my experience has been limited to my indoor setup using a GC2 for flight data. I was able to practice with the SCORs for about 4 days before I had some surgery, but in that time I was impressed enough to order a 41* to complete my setup.

That said, my primary adjustment is to avoid being too aggressive with my swing and letting the club do the work. Granted, I should probably be making that adjustment on ALL my clubs but it really "hit home" with the SCORs!

When I use the SCORs, I choke down a bit lower than I do with my Cleveland or Titleist wedges, set the ball just a little bit back in the middle of my stance and make a smooth 3/4 swing, which results in about equal or a little bit longer distance than my other wedges in the same lofts. My shot dispersion was MUCH better than my results with other wedges. Trying the same technique with my other wedges DOES make them more accurate, but with a loss of distance and really doesn't feel the same.

In one sense, it almost feels like I'm "putting" the ball through the air to my target. By that, I'm trying to say that once I was able to get comfortable with feeling what my normal distance should be, I'd "aim for the target" and adjust the length of my swing/"stroke". I "feel" more, or less, like I'm lining up a putt and then just swing to the target.

Right now, I'm at home recovering from surgery so my testing is delayed for a bit, but I'm really excited about my results thus far.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Not really liking the SCORS as much as I thought I might - they are great for full shots - big whoop - I can go get any wedge, figure out how far I hit it and be fine with it - I need that consistency for the variety of things that need to be done around the green - not finding it here yet - I've kept the 60 in my bag because it's a nice club off of tight lies and for little flops and pitches around the green - I've yet to figure out how to make it work out of rough which means death to it once the rainy season starts - unless I figure out how to make that bounce work first.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have scores in 54 and 59. I like them off of tight lies. I like them for distance wedges. I agree that they are not great out of the rough. However, where they shine is the sand. I have never had better wedges out of the sand. It feels like cheating. I have them with the genius 9 graphite and even though I have had them a couple months now I still think I might like them better in steel. I play steelfibers in my irons so it's not a weight thing. I think the out of the rough thing might change with more practice.

You don't really have to do anything different to take advantage of them. The two bounces let them sit closer to the ground while still having bounce. It's weird because on half and full swings it's like they take a divot but the second bounce gets it back out of the ground without sticking. I've heard people who use the bounce for chipping and pitching say that you have to have your hands back some but I play all those shots more back in my stance and hit down. I haven't had problems or needed any adjustment.

I would also say they don't spin as much as my old wedges but they had illegal grooves so I'm not sure that is fair to compare.

I would also say they feel great. They are very soft but because of the small heads you need to hit them in the sweet spot or you can feel it.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

You play in Texas Rickles - when I first got my SCORS it was early fall in Florida - I stuck so many chips/pitches in the ground - more in a round than I might in a season - that's what I'm reacting to -

Totally agree on the sand thing - again that's why I'm keeping the 60 in.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

.... I've yet to figure out how to make it work out of rough....

Kev...what problems are you having in the rough?

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I just use them like a wedge, same as ever! If you stick them in the ground behind the ball, well they aren't magic, you're going to chunk it! Don't do that! There really isn't anything all that radical about the SCOR V-soles, there's lots of similar grinds out there, SCOR just has a really good shape to it. For me what I like best is that while being very good and versatile around the greens, they are also really easy to set square for full swings. Most wedges with a similar grind are actually pretty difficult to set square consistently because these grinds tend to be pretty smooth and flowing, and also pretty aggressive, like wedge makers have decided that it's all or nothing as far as grinding goes! With SCOR there is enough of a definition between the bounces to give you a good feel for where square is, enough bounce to help a bit, but enough relief to make the wedge easy to open and easy to get on the ball in pretty much any lie.

When you guys are ready to sell your SCORs, let me know! :D

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I'm used to using the bounce on the sole of my club to do the work - to date I haven't gotten a handle on how to do that with my SCORs out of the rough or for chips from tight lies - I'm going to start my league season out with them in the bag though - I decided today that the Eye 2 wedge is going back in as my gap (that way I have a club to chip with) and I'm going to give the SCORs a full two month trial no matter what happens.

Tyk it's one thing to say - "Well if you guys are sticking it in the ground" it's another thing to be a 3 handicapper and stick the stupid thing in the ground - it's down right embarrassing particulaly given the fact that I'm known for being able to get up and down from everywhere - except a trap - now I'm great out of the traps and pretty much suck everywhere else - it's not a good trade off. :(

When I'm playing well I can avoid traps - I will miss greens but can avoid traps plus I had gotten to where I could slop it out and hope to make a 15 footer for par.

Oh well I'm going to give the SCORS a full trial - I'm good with full shots and good from the traps and I'm going to keep my 55 in the van to start working hard out of rough around the greens to see what I can do - thinking about getting them reshafted with some kind of graphite.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Sorry Rev, I didn't mean for that to sound like it did! We've discussed the SCOR clubs before and I said that I wouldn't tinker too much with my short game as far as equipment goes. It's pretty unlikely that I'd mess around too much with a club that I felt was taking me backwards, UNLESS I felt that learning to play it was going to benefit me down the road, and maybe that is where you are with the SCOR wedges. I have no doubt that you're a competent wedge player, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise!

My point with the SCOR wedges is that the differences between SCOR and other ground wedges are subtle but make a difference. I've played ground wedges for years and for me, right when I picked them up it was an "oh yeah!" feeling because they fit my short game, were similar to what I already played, and did it better! The guys that seem to have problems with them are guys that are used to high bounce wedges with no grind. I don't know how to play those wedges and if I were to try, I think I'd probably struggle just like guys do coming from the other way. I just want to be clear that I'm not saying I'm better than someone because these clubs seem to suit me!

I don't completely understand the question, ... I'm not doing anything "differently" with these wedges, but I get along with them quite well - so they are in my bag and have been so for about a year now.

I don't completely understand the question, ... I'm not doing anything "differently" with these wedges, but I get along with them quite well - so they are in my bag and have been so for about a year now.

I bag Vokey wedges at the moment and have communicated with the team at SCOR about their product and having read a few of the comments here I am confused if they will make a difference.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

You'd have to try them.

They absolutely blow any wedge I've ever used away out of traps and off of tight lies - not even close - that's why I've continued to bag the 60 even with what have been short comings with it - for me

I've struggled with them in the wet and out of rough which is a big deal in Florida in the summer - could be me not the clubs though - could be that I've learned to adapt to those lies with more traditional wedges by doing untraditional things - that would be a shock - wouldn't it. B)

At any rate I'm going to give these wedges every chance to succeed for me over the next couple of months - they're in - I'm assuming the problem is mine - I went to the practice green yesterday and the combo of my old Eye 2 and the SCOR 55 performed admirable - I hit 80 shots of varying types including several out of enough rough to tell and got up and down 50 times including 2 hole outs - that's not bad - I was trying mainly moderate shots - it was a good practice session.

Plus my league handicap is so high I can hardly do anything to hurt myself when the season starts in a couple of weeks so its a good time to get used to new stuff.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've been playing (well practicing...it's winter here) them like any other wedge. I was just wondering if people were using them differently because of the sole grind.

I have NO complaints with these wedges....they are not leaving the bag....but I'm always open to new "tricks" :)

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I've been playing (well practicing...it's winter here) them like any other wedge. I was just wondering if people were using them differently because of the sole grind.

I have NO complaints with these wedges....they are not leaving the bag....but I'm always open to new "tricks" :)

Same here, with snow on the ground my experience is all indoor practice which has really impressed me with the SCORs. That said, there's still a possibility Il'll keep a traditional wedge in the bag for wet conditions or fluffy lies. I'll find out in a few more weeks. I'll certainly spend most of my early practice outside working with my wedges, since that's the only major change in my setup.

I'll start league with whatever combination of wedges work best for me. I know I'll have at least 2 SCORs in the bag.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I hit 40 more today all out of the most difficult lies I could find around the practice green - went to a spot by where the sprinkler hits - lots of thick gnarly rough, thick gnarly around a bare patchm, wet sandy turf and wet fairway tight grass to be found - you name it I picked it.

I think that some of my problem was choosing the 60 rather than the 55 - I was money in the bank with that sucker - I hit pitches rather than chips, down hill, into the wind, baked practice green - 40 yards - only about 15 feet behind a pin cut into the side of a ridge - I went highest degree of difficultly I could find - didn't have a single one get away from me - got everyone inside of 20 feet - 30 out of 40 inside of ten feet - 10 stone dead - 2 holed.

The nice thing about practicing those shots is they are long enough to have a positive impact on the long game as well - I could really feel my right side firing through the ball as I gained more and more confidence - I knew that the two I holed had a great chance - there were no surprises on any of the shots. I could see what type of trajectory I needed out of each lie and that's exactly what I got - it was very, very nice.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Great!! Pitches, rather than Chips... That makes sense, as it's appeared to me working indoors so far, that using a consistent style of swing but adjusting for distance is the key. I mentioned before, once I started "smoothing out" my swing and letting the SCOR do the work, it almost seemed like it was "putting the ball through the air".

Does that seem to describe what you're feeling with the SCORs now?

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

You play in Texas Rickles - when I first got my SCORS it was early fall in Florida - I stuck so many chips/pitches in the ground - more in a round than I might in a season - that's what I'm reacting to -

Totally agree on the sand thing - again that's why I'm keeping the 60 in.

The ground is usually hard here. So I don't have much trouble sticking them in the ground. Tight lies are the most common thing here. It's usually hard pan or thick bermuda with hard ground underneath. I play pitches in an old school fashion: everything back of center weight forward. I hit down pick them clean with a square face and don't use the bounce. I use spin to stop it. If you are a player that uses the bounce to slide under the ball. Example: You hit high chips and actually contact the ground a little behind the ball and then let the bounce scoot it under the ball you will dig with the scores unless you open them up. or play with your hands behind where you would put them for a normal shot.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I have SCOR 50, 54 and 58 now and had Eidolon before these. Love em. I'll echo what's already been said about their play out of the sand (very, very good). And the rev is right on with pitches rather than chips (with the 54 in my case). I even like that they have a smaller club head.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I really think I've resolved the issue by having my old Eye 2 in for shorter pitches, working the 55 for pitches and keeping the 60 for sand shots - it's a revesal of how I used to use my wedges - my 59 was for pitches, my 54 was for the sand.

Also I'm as long with the 55 than I am with the 53 that I had in the bag for a bit and I'm longer with the SCOR 60 than I was with my old 59 not that it really matters - it does though because it means I can achieve the distances I want out of those clubs without going after them as hard.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I also find the SCOR lofts play longer than my Titleist and Cleveland wedges of the same lofts. It's a nice adjustment for me to make, as revkev points out, I can achieve the distances I want without as much effort.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Right now I'm thinking that I just needed to spend more time with these bad boys - another great session on the practice green today. I haven't made a full swing at a golf ball in a week and a half but have been to the practice green three times averaging 80 or so shots each session - I hit 120 today. I'm super busy at work - scheduled to play thursday but we'll see - the next time will be after Easter - I should get lots of golf in then besides the start of league I coach our school golf team which means going out and playing 9 holes twice weekly with the kids.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I liked my Scors out of the sand but was just way more comfortable with my Grind Golf wedges otherwise. Went back to the Grinds full time and sold the Scors. Just couldn't get comfortable standing over them, maybe it was lack of practice with them.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I liked my Scors out of the sand but was just way more comfortable with my Grind Golf wedges otherwise. Went back to the Grinds full time and sold the Scors. Just couldn't get comfortable standing over them, maybe it was lack of practice with them.

That was my original reaction so I'm glad I'm not alone. I am however starting to see the benefit to the SCORS all around the lot - lets see how they do when I start using them under pressure next month.

How about your irons - how are you doing with those?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

If you guys give up on them, please, give me first dibs on buying them! You know, keep them within the winners circle!

WD has first dibs on mine but honestly the way they are performing on the practice green he should just stand in line for when my will is read. :)

I've always been able to take what I do in practice onto the course in time - In fact I'm normally better on the course than on the range because on the course you have to play your foul balls - I don't hit many of those off the tee and the ones that I hit into or off of the greens leave me in position to get up and down.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Beat you to it already :)

I know from personal experience that aren't any good out from the snow!

The 50-54-58 setup has been great for me (previously 51-56-61). Had two long flop/chips yesterday with the 58- one in the hole and one lipped out. And the 54 is unbeatable out of the sand. Glad to read all the SCOR love here.

BTW- Haven't tried them out of the snow, but I live in NorCal so... we have about an 11 month playing season.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Archived