Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Texas Open is Set (The Texas Golf Club Massacre)

RoverRick

Lets talk about the format. I love that we have 72 holes planned.....like a real tournament.

I suggest we have two formats for the grand prize(bragging rights); individual and 2 man best ball. Individual would just be straight up; the person that place the best over 36 holes wins. For the 2 man pairings, I think we should go off handicap, pairing the lowest handicap with the highest and so on.

For the afternoon tee times Saturday and Sunday, I suggest we do a blind draw 2 man scramble.

Thats my 2 cents. What do you guys think?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets talk about the format. I love that we have 72 holes planned.....like a real tournament.

I suggest we have two formats for the grand prize(bragging rights); individual and 2 man best ball. Individual would just be straight up; the person that place the best over 36 holes wins. For the 2 man pairings, I think we should go off handicap, pairing the lowest handicap with the highest and so on.

For the afternoon tee times Saturday and Sunday, I suggest we do a blind draw 2 man scramble.

I've never played best ball before, but would you ever expect two mid cappers to beat a low capper paired with a high capper? Maybe have the format require at least six tee shots from each player?

Otherwise, sounds good to me!

I've never played best ball before, but would you ever expect two mid cappers to beat a low capper paired with a high capper? Maybe have the format require at least six tee shots from each player?

Otherwise, sounds good to me!

Best Ball is each of you playing your own ball all 18, then putting a team scorecard together, taking the best score on each hole.....for example, I made double on 1 and my teammate made par, we would have a par on hole 1. We could do a handicap difference based on the team, for example if Zach at 1 was paired with 25, their overall handicap would be 26, then if the middle group is two 15's they would be at 30, so they'd get 4 strokes..........only the guys paired without a single digit handi should get strokes though and I think that would just be one team, which the way it looks would be like a 12 and 15. How does that sound?

Best Ball is each of you playing your own ball all 18, then putting a team scorecard together, taking the best score on each hole.....for example, I made double on 1 and my teammate made par, we would have a par on hole 1. We could do a handicap difference based on the team, for example if Zach at 1 was paired with 25, their overall handicap would be 26, then if the middle group is two 15's they would be at 30, so they'd get 4 strokes..........only the guys paired without a single digit handi should get strokes though and I think that would just be one team, which the way it looks would be like a 12 and 15. How does that sound?

Having never played a tourney before, I'll just go along with what the group decides. This sounds fine to me, should be a blast.

My earlier suggestion was based off a father/son tourney they used to have at the local par 3. I wanted to enter, but they stopped it this year. Their rule is best ball, but at least three tee shots per 9 for each player.

or a stableford scoring system ......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

or a stableford scoring system ......

I was also thinking about that after watching the Reno-Tahoe this weekend. I thought if we did that for individual, it would be easier to adjust for handicap, than shaving strokes.

Something like this.......

For 0-10 handicaps

+8 for Albatross

+5 for Eagle

+2 for Birdie

+1 for Par

0 for Bogie

-2 for Double Bogie

-3 for Triple or worse

For the 11-36

+10 for Albatross

+8 for Eagle

+4 for Birdie

+2 for par

0 for bogie

-1 for Double

-2 for Triple or worse

I was also thinking about that after watching the Reno-Tahoe this weekend. I thought if we did that for individual, it would be easier to adjust for handicap, than shaving strokes.

Something like this.......

For 0-10 handicaps

+8 for Albatross

+5 for Eagle

+2 for Birdie

+1 for Par

0 for Bogie

-2 for Double Bogie

-3 for Triple or worse

For the 11-36

+10 for Albatross

+8 for Eagle

+4 for Birdie

+2 for par

0 for bogie

-1 for Double

-2 for Triple or worse

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINER !!!!! Much easier this way......

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

[/url]

snapback.pngGolfSpy MBP, on 30 May 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

Read this on Facebook

Looking for some competitive golf game ideas? Here is one with more to be posted this season.

QUOTA - Perfect for a group of any size with legitimate Handicap Indexes

DESCRIPTION: Each player takes his or her course handicap, then subtracts that number from 36 and that becomes the point quota they have to make during a round. Typical scoring for a mid-handicap group would be 1 point for a bogey, 2 points for a par, 4 for a birdie and 8 for an eagle

(points can be adjusted in any way). The player with the most points above their quota wins a predetermined pot. If no one finishes above their quota, you can roll the pot into the next round or decide it by some kind of tiebreaker. I've always liked this game because pars and birdies are worth so much more to average golfers than just being one shot better than a bogey.

Here is what I proposed before The Vancouver Open. Later MBP found it on FaceBook and thought it was a novel idea. I play this with my friends every week.

We generally play a team bet and a quota bet. There are two great side effect to this method. First you might as well pick up if you are going to make a double bogey. Sure you can finish the hole if you want but there is nothing worse than having three balls on the green putting for 3 or 4 and somebody hacking away 100 yards out still. That is not fun for every one.

The other effect is if on the 1 holes on Saturday you take an 11 it will not be looming on the score card Sunday afternoon when every point counts.

So if I am 2 over my quota on Saturday morning and 4 over Saturday afternoon. And JBones is 8 over his quota on Saturday morning and 2 under his quota Saturday afternoon we are both tied Saturday night at 6 over.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Funny thing. I am actually working on a scoring application specifically for points style games using this very model Rick :-)

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

We use a slightly different method, 1 point for bogie, 2 for par, 3 for eagle, and four for double eagle and hole-in-one is an automatic winner. Yes, we have have had two automatic winners. But because the points are less than the quotas are less. But as long as we all use the same system it should not matter.

But I also set it up where if you shoot your average score you are 3 over your quota. I did this because it is always more fun to think that you played well because you made your quota. Makes it easier to collect the bets when guys are not grousing that their quota is too high.

Hope the weather/Heat calms down, Played in Temple Texas yesterday, damn near passed out on 16.... :)

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Hope the weather/Heat calms down, Played in Temple Texas yesterday, damn near passed out on 16.... :)

Hydration hydration hydration

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I drank so much water I could have put out a wild fire. Had the cooling towel going, drank plenty of water, felt like I played 36.... This Texas Heat "ain't" no joke. Think is was 101ish. with 10-15 winds, felt like a blow drying out there....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I drank so much water I could have put out a wild fire. Had the cooling towel going, drank plenty of water, felt like I played 36.... This Texas Heat "ain't" no joke. Think is was 101ish. with 10-15 winds, felt like a blow drying out there....

I remember the Texas heat fondly during my time in San Antonio

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I remember the Texas heat fondly during my time in San Antonio

My memories of Texas heat usually involve waking up in a pool of my own sweat at 3am and then not being able to fall back asleep due to all the bugs. Oddly enough I wasn't too upset when I was a kid and my family uprooted and moved north.

Looks like 85* is the norm for Jasper in September, that'll do just fine though.

85 is perfect ....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

This Texas Heat "ain't" no joke. Think is was 101ish. with 10-15 winds, felt like a blow drying out there....

Yes, I played 27 yesterday, and the first 9 were pleasant. It was a cooler breeze. Then by the last 9 a blow drier is a great description.

I think Quota or a simple stableford system are good. As far as having a 'straight up' contest, I would say no. It is hardly worth entering in any contest against single digit players if it is straight up for those with double digits. Straight up play is for when you actually make the tour. We currently play the Stableford method in my Thursday league and it seems to work pretty well. The winner of any given week could be a 4 or a 25. It just depends on who played better than their norm.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: Wilson Staff D-100 hybrid 3 16°, Matrix OZIK Altus 5.6: 60 gram

Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°

Irons: Wilson Staff D-100 4-Pw. Gw, Sw, Matrix Studio 6.1 Graphite: 65 gram

Wedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW with set of D-100’s

Putter: Current Hippo Attacker 1 Switching to: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)

Ball: Wilson Staff DUO/Z-Star/FG Tour

Bag: Bag Boy - Revolver

Backup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shafts

Whatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!What’s in the bag:Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaftFairway: Cobra AMP Cell 3-4 HYB: 4 plus = 21°, 4 plus Draw = 21° Draw, 4 = 22° *Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Irons 5- Sw, MRC Graphite ShaftWedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW in AMP Cell setPutter: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)Ball: Titlest VelocityBag: Bag Boy - RevolverBackup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shaftsWhatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!

I think Quota or a simple stableford system are good. As far as having a 'straight up' contest, I would say no. It is hardly worth entering in any contest against single digit players if it is straight up for those with double digits. Straight up play is for when you actually make the tour. We currently play the Stableford method in my Thursday league and it seems to work pretty well. The winner of any given week could be a 4 or a 25. It just depends on who played better than their norm.

Quota is awesome, I shot under par on Sunday and lost to a 90's shooter who had a better day comparatively.

Edit: It was more awesome for him than me, but otherwise, he would not show up a couple or three times a week to pay me money. I was surprised because I played extremely well and when I do that I usually win. I was taken a back when I came in 4th.

+1

I know what you mean we played Northern Hills on Sunday and it was wicked hot.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Wedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW with set of D-100’s

Putter: Current Hippo Attacker 1 Switching to: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)

Backup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shafts

Whatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!What’s in the bag:Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaftFairway: Cobra AMP Cell 3-4 HYB: 4 plus = 21°, 4 plus Draw = 21° Draw, 4 = 22° *Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Irons 5- Sw, MRC Graphite ShaftWedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW in AMP Cell setPutter: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)Ball: Titlest VelocityBag: Bag Boy - RevolverBackup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shaftsWhatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!

If we do the modified Stableford (bogie=1, par=2, birdie=3... or the quota system then, we could count all 72 holes in the individual and do the two man best ball (not a scramble) for the two man team event using the same cards. The blind draw sounds good or pick doesn't matter if we are using some kind of a handicap system it will come out fair in the end.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Quota is awesome, I shot under par on Sunday and lost to a 90's shooter who had a better day comparatively.

Edit: It was more awesome for him than me, but otherwise, he would not show up a couple or three times a week to pay me money. I was surprised because I played extremely well and when I do that I usually win. I was taken a back when I came in 4th.

That is exactly what I am talking about mate! You hit the nail on the head. I have had the same experience with the stableford. I think which end of the spectrum depends upon what hole the flask comes out on.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

KBS Shafts have just announced that they are a sponsor of the MGS Tour 2013 Texas Open.

KBS will be sending some trinkets such as caps to the Texas Open.

Also Txstcatman and RoverRick will have KBS C Taper Lite shafts we will let you look at, and maybe let you test out a time or two. As well as KBS Tour Wedge and Hi Rev Wedge and KBS Hybrid shafts.

I will be talking with my contacts at Golfsmith this week to see if they are willing to jump in. Maybe we can at least get prizes for the long drive hole. I also have some connections at Sports Authority. I am not saying these will pan out but I will give it a shot.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

If several of us add and use the new app GameBook - Live Golf Scorecard the rest of MGS can follow our progress live and see the leader oard as it happens. It's free on itunes. There may be others out there also I just saw the e-mail on this one and thought it would be good. I will try it at the course this week.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Started a scoring thread for the Texas Open in case anyone missed it.

If several of us add and use the new app GameBook - Live Golf Scorecard the rest of MGS can follow our progress live and see the leader oard as it happens. It's free on itunes. There may be others out there also I just saw the e-mail on this one and thought it would be good. I will try it at the course this week.

Let us know how that works out, that is something fun that could keep everyone involved.

Fantastic idea. It's also available on Android. I'll try it out and maybe use it on a regular basis.

Fantastic idea. It's also available on Android. I'll try it out and maybe use it on a regular basis.

I just signed up. Username wdgolf. This app looks awesome, I'll be logging my first round in it on Saturday.

Archived