Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Slight Dent due to sky mark fix?

sai-jin

So a friend of mine took out one of my white drivers without permission and hit a sky mark that cracked the paint on the crown a little and left

a slight dent.

I tested the driver and I can still hit my yardages and doesn't sound like the driver is dead.

1. Can the dent be fixed to normal?

2. If not, can a crown paint refinished do the paint in a way so that the dent is not visible on address?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's one of my Tour issued heads too... I'm mad... and he is blaming me.

He said that if he were to ask for permission, I wouldn't have let him. ANd I said exactly why... and he said... "Then don't put it where people can grab one".

Man, that's rough. I'd say you could send it back to TMaG and get a replacement, but with tour issue stuff I'm not sure that you would want a retail replacement.

Best bet is to try and touch up the paint and ignore the dent.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Looks like it just needs a touch up by the picture but that guy would be getting the bill for sure

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Damn, that's a hell of an idiot mark. I don't think I've ever seen a hit so high on the topline!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Looks like it just needs a touch up by the picture but that guy would be getting the bill for sure

Well, he blamed me and said that he will not pay for anything.

I'm more concerned about if I can fix the ding or if a professional can do it or not =\

For the paint , I can send it to a Tmag refinished and redo it, but the dent is driving me nuts... not because it's really visible on address, but because I know it's there.

If it is true indentation, I don't know of any way that you can pull that out of a clubhead. I have never seen it done.

I'm sure you could buff and repaint the head which would take out the scuff mark but the dent itself...just don't think so.

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

If it is true indentation, I don't know of any way that you can pull that out of a clubhead. I have never seen it done.

I'm sure you could buff and repaint the head which would take out the scuff mark but the dent itself...just don't think so.

YOu think when I send it in for refinish, they can do it in a way that it'll camouflage the dent on address?

So I can't see it?

YOu think when I send it in for refinish, they can do it in a way that it'll camouflage the dent on address?

So I can't see it?

Honestly...no. I don't think so. And, you are going to know it is there and that is still going to bother you. Trust me on that.

That is the 2nd worst one I have ever seen.

Honestly...no. I don't think so. And, you are going to know it is there and that is still going to bother you. Trust me on that.

That is the 2nd worst one I have ever seen.

The dent is not deep at all, and it's small, on address it's barely visible, it's just the ball mark that kept reminding me it's there.

I guess I just have to convince myself it'll be ok... as long as it hits like normal.

Well, I don't care what the guy says about it being your fault or whatever. He is the jerk who should be having it fixed or replacing it.

If he were a supposed friend...he would be no longer as far as I would be concerned. And, he damn well better never touch another club of mine.

Maybe some form of a suction cup, or glue a little pull bar with some epoxy that could be chipped off. Or you could leave the little bar on and affix a small "mygolfspy flag" to it so during each drive the little flag would wave in the wind as you crush another 300 yd bomb!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Unfortunately... it's a tour issue head and the specs for me makes it even rarer.

As of now... he is no longer my friend. He also still owes me $115 for a club I sold him. Hell, he even had the nerve to want to trade 70 used V1x balls he picked up at the course for the $115. And now this.

but right now, I"m more concerned about the driver, this one is my baby.

I do have spares, but that's for a few years down the road if the driver end up with a dead face one day.

So the link says that I can use plastic filler for auto bady parts, then sand it to smooth it out.

What do you guys think? WOuld this work?

If this is a good idea, would the extra weight of the plastic be too much?

So the link says that I can use plastic filler for auto bady parts, then sand it to smooth it out.

What do you guys think? WOuld this work?

If this is a good idea, would the extra weight of the plastic be too much?

I don't think that the plastic body filler would hold up to constant vibration from hitting the ball. I do know in auto body use you have to drill a hole to get it a base seat so to say. I might step out on a limb here but I have used air pressure (20 lbs or so) to blow out dents in motorcycle gas tanks but it can be tricky I saw a renowned motorcycle builder on TV blow a gas tank up because he did not have the air regulator on. This can be extremely dangerous!! Honestly I have never tried it on a golf club. Maybe Rookie will read this thread and give you some advice he is pretty good on this sorta thing. I may try this this afternoon on an old head since it is raining and flooding here and there will be no golf today on the Grand Strand

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well, I don't care what the guy says about it being your fault or whatever. He is the jerk who should be having it fixed or replacing it.

If he were a supposed friend...he would be no longer as far as I would be concerned. And, he damn well better never touch another club of mine.

You darn sure got that right!!!!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I suppose you could use a small plastic or wooden hammer and tap the round edges of the dent repeatedly until the dent pops out on it's own if you're very lucky. It sometimes happens with a car for simple dents. Unfortunately I have doubts as it works better for big dents that are deeper, not teeny tiny shallow ones like the one on your golf club. Further, not to add to your woes, the repair does not always work 100% when it works. It sometimes leaves ripples. It would need a magnificent amount of luck for this solution to work.

The best that can be done is actually your plan which is to bring the club to the range and hit a fair number of balls in all the ways you do and watch the ball flight carefully. The reason you should watch the ball flight is that the crown of the club actually flexes a little even if it does not look like it should, and if that dent affects that, the ball flight could have been changed. I am assuming you have a repeatable swing and also have control thereof. If the club still works in a satisfactory manner, have the paint refinished but do nothing more to the dent. If the ball flies badly, consider the club lost and try tapping it out, you have nothing to lose and you just might get lucky and the club becomes good again.

Shambles

Archived