Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Slight Dent due to sky mark fix?

sai-jin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm gonna send it in to get it smoothened out. Apparently this is the only way to do it. Can't have it pop back up.

I tried it on an old Cally Bertha head I used 20 lbs no luck. I tried heating the area with a propane torch and 25lbs psi and popped it some but it ripples and I got CS on increasing the pressure. Maybe someone more skilled and less scared than me can pull it off

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

If that's a tstamp head and you send it in you won't get a replacement. Tour issued clubs don't have a warranty. I'd be surprised if you got it back at all, because they're designated for the tour and are still technically tmag's property ( not sure how they'll handle R1 v2's now).

Call Continental Golf and see what they say. I doubt they could fix the dent without it still being a dent. There's no way to access it to pop it out really from the bottom. One thing you could try is to get a suction cup as powerful as you can find and apply it over the dent then jerk really hard and see if it'll pop out. You could bondo it but it'd change the weighting of the head. As for your "friend" he'd be getting an ass whipping and we'd no longer be friends. I mean if he left his wife sitting in a chair near the door easy to get to does that give you the right to just grab her and have your way with her? Same situation and I'd probably walk in his house and do just that just to get some retribution, or piss him off.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'll tell you don't do dry ice nor air pressure inside nor put water in and freeze it. I tried all of those on older heads and wound up with 3 split weld seams (had a small dent I wanted out as well).

If you can live with the dent but not the markings, buy some polishing compound and run the marks out. They'll come out and you won't have to repaint. I've got a wave on the rear of the crown of my LCG head. In direct sunlight it's barely noticible. I've gotta live with it till the head explodes because there's no way I could replace it.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Trust me... he is no longer a friend... and I'm writing off the $115 he owes me too.

Yea, I spoke with continental this morning and they said that they'll use something like bondo. THey'll add that material to the dent to create a smooth round shape and repaint for me.

Tested the club today at the range (limited flight range balls) and so far, I think the sound is still the same as usual on impact and I'm able to carry the ball 240-250yds, despite using totally crap and almost no dimple balls.

I'm assuming, if the club is cracked or even a hairline crack, not only would it sound different, but I wouldn't be able to carry those distances, correct?

Trust me... he is no longer a friend... and I'm writing off the $115 he owes me too.

Yea, I spoke with continental this morning and they said that they'll use something like bondo. THey'll add that material to the dent to create a smooth round shape and repaint for me.

Tested the club today at the range (limited flight range balls) and so far, I think the sound is still the same as usual on impact and I'm able to carry the ball 240-250yds, despite using totally crap and almost no dimple balls.

I'm assuming, if the club is cracked or even a hairline crack, not only would it sound different, but I wouldn't be able to carry those distances, correct?

A hairline crack there won't show much as far as flight is concerned. You'd see very little change for the time being. But with it being there and the crown flexing, it'll blow out sooner than one elsewhere. Being as its that close to the face, if its a crack it'll show up sooner rather than later. You could submerge it in water and see if it bubbles from there to be sure. If its cracked, it will bubble. I believe I'd still try rubbing the mark out first before I sent it off, just to see how noticeable it is once the paint isn't marred. With it being a matte head, dents don't show as easily (like I said I have a wave you can only see in direct sunlight on my LCG, and its been there for a long time). Whatever you decide, YOU have to be happy with it and it has to look good to you.

In The Bag

I did as you say and submerged the whole head in water. I don't see a single bubble at all, so that's good... not even from the crack of the paint.

The dent is rather minimal... but this head is my baby and I'm rather anal =\

Might as well just send it in for fixing.

Went to play 9 holes with the club pro, specially to test the driver. I was able to carry the ball 260-270yds still, and he was able to kill the driver and he said it feels good. (I didn't tell him about the dent) Until end of round.

So I shouldn't worry about any kind of crack, correct?

Went to play 9 holes with the club pro, specially to test the driver. I was able to carry the ball 260-270yds still, and he was able to kill the driver and he said it feels good. (I didn't tell him about the dent) Until end of round.

I wouldn't worry but just keep an eye on it incase it gets worse.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If it plays fine and sounds fine, there's not much else you can do other than hit it until it fails or until you get sick of it (whichever comes first). You could possibly ask the guys at Continental when they strip it to inspect it for a crack and to let you know the results. They shouldn't have a problem with that, as they're gonna be taking it down to bare metal anyway.

In The Bag

Yea, I'll do that and not worry too much. Stu did tell me that there won't be a difference in weight and swing nor ball flight with the bondo on, unless it has a crack.

But I already drowned the club in the sink and I see not a single bubble.

Thanks for the support and help, all of you.

Where is WalkerJames and when will he chime in on this?

I read this in the morrning and was going to chime in but everybody who did pretty much nailed it there is no real way to get it out, I wouldn't recommend body filler and it seems to close to the face to use heat. There are some guys that can do some amazing dent repair with out Bondo but the metal on the driver would be thicker than a cars sheet metal. I would just get it repainted.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

WHy can't you recommend a body filler? Even if it's just a tiny bit?

I think I maybe misstated but bondo will add a little weight but the main issue with bondo is that it will crack in due time because of impact vibrations. The weight may or may not be noticeable to you depends on your feel. The bondo cracking would be the main issue for me.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

WHy can't you recommend a body filler? Even if it's just a tiny bit?

It won't last. But it's your club so it's your call.

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

Let me get this straight, you bought a club with the intent of hitting something with it at as close to or hopefully over 100 mph and you are upset because the paint is chipping and there is a dent when clearly you have hit all over the face.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I didn't know that bondo will crack... I'll call continental golf again and double check.

If they will use body filler and warranty it if it cracks the the best of luck I hope it works. FYI BONDO Is a brand like xerox or frisbee.

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

HaHa, I didn't wanna come off like a dick by postin this however this solution mighta saved ya a lotta time and 4 pages of posts, lol B)

Good luck with it

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I didn't really know that continental could do it until a few pages later AND they didn't tell me what you guys told me so I have to call "again".

Sorry to hear about the damage to your driver. I will say though this thing sure has seen better days :P Did you put the tape on after?

jindriver.jpg

THe 3 circles on the crown top center are ripples from the tape. They are not ball marks. The tape is put after.

The dent is on the top toe side. Other than that, the club's crown is in perfect shape, aside from some scratches on the face and sole, since I do use it on the fairway time to time.

The paint damages are caused by the person who hit my driver.

Let me get this straight, you bought a club with the intent of hitting something with it at as close to or hopefully over 100 mph and you are upset because the paint is chipping and there is a dent when clearly you have hit all over the face.

Yes, At least I hit it in the face and not the forehead (crown). And YES, I'm damn pissed off because a jack ass used my tour issue head without me knowing behind my back literally and caused this within minutes. So why would I not be pissed?

So what's your point with the statement? SHould I just let it go and if it's damaged, it's damaged?

All I asked in my thread is if there is any way of fixing the dent, not the paint chip because I have 0 experience with something like this.

So is that straight enough of an answer for you?

If they will use body filler and warranty it if it cracks the the best of luck I hope it works. FYI BONDO Is a brand like xerox or frisbee.

THanks for letting me know, I'll double check about the crack and if they use something different than bondo. All they told me is it'll be perfect and I shouldn't worry a thing.

So it's good to hear both side of the story.

Question for everyone. TM was using their logo on the R11 and "R11" on the R11S both centered for alignment I assume. I notice the R11 on this is much closer to the hosel is this a tour issue thing?

I have the retail head, V1, V2 and V3 heads and they are all closer to the hosel at a similar distance. On address, they center up though.

Who wouldn't be upset with a nice dent in the crown of their driver? Let alone a Tour Issue one which costs plenty more than off the shelf and are hard to come by. I'd be pissed even if this happened to my Cleveland DST which isn't worth a lot but it's still a club.

I have the retail head, V1, V2 and V3 heads and they are all closer to the hosel at a similar distance. On address, they center up though.

Yep, and its due to size. This one, though I can see very little of it, looks to be the V3 head. It's the smallest one and it'll appear closer to the hosel as such. The v2 is next smallest and will appear closer than the v1(same size as retail).

In The Bag

Yep, and its due to size. This one, though I can see very little of it, looks to be the V3 head. It's the smallest one and it'll appear closer to the hosel as such. The v2 is next smallest and will appear closer than the v1(same size as retail).

That is correct, you have good eyes. This is the V3 head. aka my baby. I don't even game the other versions anymore.

But anyways, After letting the club pro use it the entire day today, he is sure that there is no crack and he demonizes my driver (kinda makes me sad in a way since I can't hit my drives like him). So that's a relief.

Just have to ask continental on Monday about the possibility of the added material cracking or not, etc, since they didn't tell me anything last time.

So thanks a lot to all of you who gave me a ton of info. Appreciate it.

Who wouldn't be upset with a nice dent in the crown of their driver? Let alone a Tour Issue one which costs plenty more than off the shelf and are hard to come by. I'd be pissed even if this happened to my Cleveland DST which isn't worth a lot but it's still a club.

Dead on point! I would be pissed if it were my old POS Wishon with no pedigree except to ride around in my bag the last 3 years.It is a matter of principle. San Jin is evidently a better person than I am. If I had went through the incident that he has the driver would have more dents in it from the guys head!

G

That is correct, you have good eyes. This is the V3 head. aka my baby. I don't even game the other versions anymore.

But anyways, After letting the club pro use it the entire day today, he is sure that there is no crack and he demonizes my driver (kinda makes me sad in a way since I can't hit my drives like him). So that's a relief.

Just have to ask continental on Monday about the possibility of the added material cracking or not, etc, since they didn't tell me anything last time.

So thanks a lot to all of you who gave me a ton of info. Appreciate it.

Not sure what your specs are but there's one on WRX that's 7.8 degrees and 2.75 degrees open currently for $275. It's in great shape.

In The Bag

Not sure what your specs are but there's one on WRX that's 7.8 degrees and 2.75 degrees open currently for $275. It's in great shape.

Thanks for looking, that's nice of you.

Unfortunately I need at least 9.8* on this head. MIne was 9.8* with 3.75* open.

Plus I need to sell my R1 TP black first and even that's going to my CC balance. =\

Archived