Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

I've decided to fade the ball

Sluggo42

After playing the front 9 and missing the fairway with every drive, from either a duck hook, or a block to the right, I started the back 9 with a slightly open stance, and the club faced down the center. And then put every drive in the middle of the fairway. I've always thought my "normal swing" was a draw, but it's never been a "sure thing".. The last few years my buddy has often told me I should just play the power fade, as it's usually right down the middle. I found that it's 10-20 yards shorter than a perfectly struck drawn ball, but reality is that I don't always hit that perfect ball. Part of me hates the thought of a shorter drive, but the other part of me likes the short grass.

Is it crazy to change ??

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Seems like a good idea to me if it puts you in the FW. No point in fighting your natural swing.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Never crazy - if you can do it! I started fading my drives about 5 years back (not a conscious decision) and my fairways hit has gone up a lot.

it pains me to say this, stuff distance if it means hitting an iron shot off the fairway.

If you can hit one shape reliably then just do that - we don't all have to play like Bubba - hitting it left, right and all over the place.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Some Nicklaus guy did okay with the fade...

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It's just odd aiming at trouble, but then real fun to watch it just kind of ease back into play. It's going a lot higher understandably, perhaps I bump the setting down to 8 from 9...

I asked our club pro one time since I was having the same issue a while back, he basically said go with what you came with, in other words, if you are hitting the fade on that day play the fade, if you are hitting the draw that day play the draw. There is nothing wrong with trying to play one or the other, I would just be careful not to get yourself and your swing all messed up.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

What the difference between aiming down the right and drawing it? Still aiming away from the Middle and shaping it. I See more people aiming to hit a draw and blocking it than aiming for a cut and hooking it.

I'd have said finding a shape of shot that you reliably hit is one of the most useful things you can do - fairways and greens. If it's a fade - who cares? Less likely to see the ball run off the fairway (less run with fade - which I believe is the only reason that draw spin goes further for most of us) with cut spin.

Ironically it's only when I try and hit a bigger fade than normal that I end up double crossing myself.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I'd rather be short and in the middle than long and wrong.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Hitting the draw is overrated! My goal in golf is to become consistent. I don't care if it's going left or right as long as it's ALWAYS going left or right. Golf is a hard game, when you can simplify it like that - why wouldn't you? 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

"What the difference between aiming down the right and drawing it? Still aiming away from the Middle and shaping it. I See more people aiming to hit a draw and blocking it than aiming for a cut and hooking it."

Exactly Westy, well put.

How's life these days Sluggo?  Good to have you around.

It is what it is and at our level I don't know that a fade is any shorter or longer than a draw, solid shots go farther than misshits so a solid, consistent fade is going to trump a draw that's all over the lot that's for sure.

I've only had one brief flirt with a fade  - it was for a couple of years when metal woods first came out back in the late 80's.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev, isn't it that fades don't run as far as draw? I always think of draw as like topspin in tennis and fade more like backspin.....simplistic I know but that's how my mind works!

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I taught myself the fade about 25 years ago to combat my rope hooking. I do exactly like you said with an open stance and the club face open about 2* at impact. I also swing a little outside in by design. BTW my old man could not stand a fade he was a draw man. But if you can hit and control a fade and have confidence in it you will eliminate one side of the course. I have gotten older now and my swing has slowed down lots and I can hit a controlled draw with some clubs when needed. But I have found out if I try to constantly hit a draw as a stock shot I will go back to rope hooking

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Rev, isn't it that fades don't run as far as draw? I always think of draw as like topspin in tennis and fade more like backspin.....simplistic I know but that's how my mind works!

No top spin. The ball would nose dive immediately if it somehow had top spin. A draw from the same person with the same club will generally have a more penetrating trajectory, quite possibly a little more ball speed due to the release, and a bit LESS backspin than a fade that can help get a little more roll, but it's still back spin. But depending on how the club fits, the higher spin and trajectory of a fade could translate to more distance for some. No rules across the board that's for sure.

Regardless my point is that well struck shots are going to go farther than poorly struck ones. I will take a well struck fade over a duck hook any day. The fade will go farther.

As Blade said too many variables to generalize whether a draw or a fade goes farther for a certain player. This one could under the lies thread.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There we go MGS helps bust another one of my misconceptions....every days a learning day round here

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

There we go MGS helps bust another one of my misconceptions....every days a learning day round here

Yep, back spin is what creates lift as the ball moves through the air. You need it, but it's easy to have too much, especially with a driver if you hit down. As the loft increasrs on your clubs down through the set, each one will produce more back spin than the last because the difference between the vertical face angle/loft and the attack angle/vertical path, increases.

So - does a draw have less backspin than a fade?

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

So - does a draw have less backspin than a fade?

All other things being the same, for the same person with the same club, it should. The club will be delofted slightly in relation to the path compared to the fade shot. But at the same time someone could change their swing so much trying to draw it that may not always be the case.

Bottom line Westy - go with the shot shape that is easiest for you to reproduce and hit solidly and don't worry about it - be happy! :)

I draw the ball, I wish that I could fade it because that Nicklaus guy was my hero but through lots of trial and error I learned that I visualize a draw (I think this comes from my baseball days - I was a catcher but also pitched some and was used to making a baseball go right to left) far better than a fade.  A high draw coming off of my club fits my eye and I'm able to visualize very well where I need it to start to end up where I'm aiming.  So that's what I play.  If I can see it, I can hit it.

Man this game is so difficult - just go with what works and forget about the other stuff.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

No worries about that Rev, I hit a fade - it's my shape and I'm happy with that.

But I do like to understand more of the science - I'm a curious kind of chap.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

No worries about that Rev, I hit a fade - it's my shape and I'm happy with that.

But I do like to understand more of the science - I'm a curious kind of chap.

You know what they say about curiousity!   I'm the wrong Loughran to teach a course in physics.  If my son weren't out wreaking havoc in the Indian Ocean I'd let him have at this one.  I know for a fact that I've seen trackman numbers that show that the draw goes farther statement is wrong as an absolute and that it depends on lots of factors.  I'm hopeful that someone else here will come across with the physics of it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've come to the conclusion that on the course/when playing a round, I need to embrace the swing of the day - which with a driver is typically a fade fighting off a slice.

The rest of my clubs I'm closing in on a draw.

But - I'm still working on trying to hit a draw with my driver when I'm at the driving range. On the course I'd rather hit fairways, but when I work on a draw at the driving range, I find at the very least I stop slicing my driver altogether - fingers crossed long-term I'll be able to have the slice be a thing of the past with no concern of it when on a tee box.

I find that the straight shot works best.

I don't try to draw it anymore unless there is an advantage to do so, but I don't count on it to draw because it mostly doesn't. However, I can hit a fade fairly easily, but prefer not to, unless again there is some advantage to hit it.

With the driver I play it straight and if it draws or fades a little, who cares. With irons it's always straight unless there is a tree in the way. Where I get into trouble is when a pin is tucked and I think I can either fade or draw it to get it close. But I keep trying those shots!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Oh to have the option of straight!

Actually I say that, I hit my mid to short irons straight; fade kicks in once I get past 5 iron.

Trouble usually follows when I try anything too clever kenny, think there's a lesson there somewhere.....

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Hi rev, been doing well, just side tracked a lot these days, thanks for asking :)

Well, yesterday I went out to try to dial in the fade, and low and behold, the ball wanted to draw. I was by myself, and the track was almost empty. So I started playing two balls with multiple extra shots, not keeping score. So I tried playing one ball draw, and the other ball fade. At the end of the day, the draws worked better on the front, and fades on the back. The draws were ALWAYS longer. I'm thinking a draw effectively de lofts the club which makes sense. I also lowered my driver to 8* from 9.5. This kinda helped the fade and really started the duck hooks. The best fades were baby fades, and at 8* I seemed to get pretty decent distance. If it were easier to change loft, I would have changed every other shot.

Final analysis is still to be determined. Nothing stood out as remarkably more effective. I learned to club down with a fade. I think if you are really good, you can go after pins by using either shot, depending on pin placement. But if I'm going for a score, I don't mess about too much.

It's fun to play with, but come money time?, I hit the ...... Oh hell, probably the draw...

I find that the straight shot works best.

I don't try to draw it anymore unless there is an advantage to do so, but I don't count on it to draw because it mostly doesn't. However, I can hit a fade fairly easily, but prefer not to, unless again there is some advantage to hit it.

With the driver I play it straight and if it draws or fades a little, who cares. With irons it's always straight unless there is a tree in the way. Where I get into trouble is when a pin is tucked and I think I can either fade or draw it to get it close. But I keep trying those shots!

When I was experimenting with irons a year or so ago my friend who is a fitter and builder was trying to get me into somewhat GI irons. Now I could hit two types good (Infiniti 302 and Infiniti Assure) but could not hit my baby fade with either one. Actually I could hit those irons straight but that was the problem for me. I could not feel what I was doing at all and I have played the baby cut so long that I absolutely had no confidence at all in the straight ball even though I tried.In retrospect I say do what ever you feel confident in doing and can score with

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived