Weight Loss Thread

MattF

Disclaimer: I know this is NOT the direction of the thread, but I was asked for my opinion and I'll give it and leave it as that. Nothing more. Also, a little background, my wife is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (Previously a RD, now a RDN). When seeking nutrition advice, find someone with the RD or RDN after their name. Please do your research when obtaining nutrition advice. There are a bunch of in the medical field offering unfounded advice...I'm talking about physicians, chiropractors, heck, even optometrist. My wife's specialty is pediatric food allergies and kids with special eating needs such as feeding tubes.

Diets promote weight loss through one specific way: caloric restriction. South Beach, Whole 30, Paleo, Atkins, even Keto all promote weight loss through cutting calories. So Keto was originally designed to help kids with epilepsy and autism. However, the patients were admitted to the hospital during the diet because it is really difficult to completely adhere to the diet. No one did keto on their own. Fast forward a few decades and someone in the fitness community gets a hold of the diet and promotes it as serious weight loss. Folks who promote one diet or another probably found short term success with the diet and now promote it as truth. However, a recent study by Stanford University of Medicine (which had over 600 participants!!) showed that over a span of a year, a low carb (keto) diet showed the exact same amount of weight loss as a low fat diet.

Here's where the wife chimes in...

A healthy eating lifestyle really depends on your relationship with food. A healthy mindset (just like in golf) is required to really maintain a healthy weight. Diets that eliminate certain food groups are really hard to stick to over a period of time. You also have to consider what nutrients you're giving up for these diets. Diets that eliminate dairy, well, where are you going to get your calcium and Vitamin D? Diets that eliminate whole grains, where are you going to get your fiber and Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12? Sure you could take supplements, but why not get that nutrition in actual food? Eliminating food groups usually amplifies your cravings and eventually you binge on stuff you're 'not supposed to eat' on a certain diet. Understanding your cravings, why you have those cravings and why you choose certain foods can go a long way in maintaining a weight your body is comfortable at. My wife really likes something that's called Intuitive Eating. It dives into the psychological relationship with food versus 'don't eat bread, eat only bacon grease and butter and you'll lose weight quickly'!

All in all, some diets work for people because it gets them thinking about what they're putting in their body. There's a lot more to a healthy weight than eliminating carbs or eliminating fat.

This is exactly the premise my fitness program is built on. It has never been about eliminating anything. It's always been about adding good things to eat and exploring why I've over rated or made poor food choices in the past and then changing the behaviors and choices.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Here's another final thought from me (I'll probably have a few "final thoughts"). This is about a lifestyle change, not just a diet. If you just diet and lose weight, get to where you want to be and start doing what you were doing before, the "experts" say and I have done it myself, you'll gain what you lost plus back.

You have to change your mindset about food. If you want a piece of pizza, have one, just don't have the whole pizza. If you want a beer have one or two fine, just not a 12 pack. Also remember that having that extra beer or piece of pizza is going to cost you extra work.

Don't miss out on things because you're changing your lifestyle, reward yourself with that beer or piece of pizza or burger or whatever, just work a bit harder the next day.

We're all on the right track because we're contributing to this thread and we all can see that whatever it is that we're doing individually is working because we're sharing our success here.

I'm out.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Have you looked into vaccines at all? Or are you just a parrot for big pharma? Do you know real people in your real life who have been cured of all kinds of incurable diseases by going keto for a bit? Have you tried it? Why are the top professional athletes mixing it in? Next you will tell me I'm a dummy for actually not taking the word of somebody who went to school 20 years ago and was taught by big pharma. Don't be daff. Look into it. Try it. And then try to disprove it. Instead of this yuck yuck everybody knows nonsense you promote. I'm simply saying look into it. You are simply saying it and me are so stupid you would be stupid like me if you did. Also look into fasting.

Have you looked into vaccines at all? Or are you just a parrot for big pharma? Do you know real people in your real life who have been cured of all kinds of incurable diseases by going keto for a bit? Have you tried it? Why are the top professional athletes mixing it in? Next you will tell me I'm a dummy for actually not taking the word of somebody who went to school 20 years ago and was taught by big pharma. Don't be daff. Look into it. Try it. And then try to disprove it. Instead of this yuck yuck everybody knows nonsense you promote. I'm simply saying look into it. You are simply saying it and me are so stupid you would be stupid like me if you did. Also look into fasting.

Could you please stop thread jacking.

If you want to add something positive & consistent with the thread your welcome to join in.

Thanks

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I didn't know there was a term for this!

I took family on vacation and wasn't as thrilled to start running again. I've gotten back on track this week.

I've already ran 11 miles this week. But I've also added 20 minutes of rowing after my run.

Figured by posting on this it'll get that fire back

Thanks for letting me rant!

PING G425 SFT 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cobra Fly Z 3 Hybrid

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Disclaimer: I know this is NOT the direction of the thread, but I was asked for my opinion and I'll give it and leave it as that. Nothing more. Also, a little background, my wife is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (Previously a RD, now a RDN). When seeking nutrition advice, find someone with the RD or RDN after their name. Please do your research when obtaining nutrition advice. There are a bunch of in the medical field offering unfounded advice...I'm talking about physicians, chiropractors, heck, even optometrist. My wife's specialty is pediatric food allergies and kids with special eating needs such as feeding tubes.

Diets promote weight loss through one specific way: caloric restriction. South Beach, Whole 30, Paleo, Atkins, even Keto all promote weight loss through cutting calories. So Keto was originally designed to help kids with epilepsy and autism. However, the patients were admitted to the hospital during the diet because it is really difficult to completely adhere to the diet. No one did keto on their own. Fast forward a few decades and someone in the fitness community gets a hold of the diet and promotes it as serious weight loss. Folks who promote one diet or another probably found short term success with the diet and now promote it as truth. However, a recent study by Stanford University of Medicine (which had over 600 participants!!) showed that over a span of a year, a low carb (keto) diet showed the exact same amount of weight loss as a low fat diet.

Here's where the wife chimes in...

A healthy eating lifestyle really depends on your relationship with food. A healthy mindset (just like in golf) is required to really maintain a healthy weight. Diets that eliminate certain food groups are really hard to stick to over a period of time. You also have to consider what nutrients you're giving up for these diets. Diets that eliminate dairy, well, where are you going to get your calcium and Vitamin D? Diets that eliminate whole grains, where are you going to get your fiber and Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12? Sure you could take supplements, but why not get that nutrition in actual food? Eliminating food groups usually amplifies your cravings and eventually you binge on stuff you're 'not supposed to eat' on a certain diet. Understanding your cravings, why you have those cravings and why you choose certain foods can go a long way in maintaining a weight your body is comfortable at. My wife really likes something that's called Intuitive Eating. It dives into the psychological relationship with food versus 'don't eat bread, eat only bacon grease and butter and you'll lose weight quickly'!

All in all, some diets work for people because it gets them thinking about what they're putting in their body. There's a lot more to a healthy weight than eliminating carbs or eliminating fat.

Words of wisdom here - especially getting the right advice from the right professional

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I didn't know there was a term for this!

I took family on vacation and wasn't as thrilled to start running again. I've gotten back on track this week.

I've already ran 11 miles this week. But I've also added 20 minutes of rowing after my run.

Figured by posting on this it'll get that fire back

Thanks for letting me rant!

I believe that posts like yours is why MattF started this great thread. Need to get back on track.

Anyway weighed in at 210. Have stalled at that weight for a while but I've noticed clothes especially shorts are getting looser.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Further to OG and GS Barba's posts regarding weight loss and helping each other out, I'm starting this thread in the hopes that those of us that need or could stand to lose a bit of weight will chime in.

I really want to get down to 180lbs. I've been struggling with my weight for years and my lowest (about 6 months ago) was 199.2lbs.

I've crept back up to 207lbs and am not really happy about it....but that's the holiday season.

So, I'm thinking that those of you who want to participate can just post here, maybe what you're doing, eating etc or just a weekly/fortnightly weigh in.

So that's it in a nutshell, chime in or I'll talk to myself.

I'm not sure how I'm hijacking this thread mentioned above by suggesting a keto diet for a try. This is the original post. What am I missing? Btw I'm 6'3” and at my heaviest I was 237 pounds. At my lowest I was 159 pounds. I walk around at 184. I've fasted for 60 days and I've done keto.

What I don't get is somehow I'm thread jacking and I wear a tinfoil hat and I'm a meanie.

I'm not sure how I'm hijacking this thread mentioned above by suggesting a keto diet for a try. This is the original post. What am I missing? Btw I'm 6'3” and at my heaviest I was 237 pounds. At my lowest I was 159 pounds. I walk around at 184. I've fasted for 60 days and I've done keto.

What I don't get is somehow I'm thread jacking and I wear a tinfoil hat and I'm a meanie.

I'm out......

Rick

Left Hand, 

I believe that posts like yours is why MattF started this great thread. Need to get back on track.

Anyway weighed in at 210. Have stalled at that weight for a while but I've noticed clothes especially shorts are getting looser.

Those non-scale victories are huge! A part of this process is changing how the weight is distributed.

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

I'm like 98% sure this guy is just trolling at this point. Has to be...

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I'm like 98% sure this guy is just trolling at this point. Has to be...

Yup, believe you're right. My percentage is a bit higher

Rick

Left Hand, 

I think the SOS I'm having this morning isn't going to help me keep those 4 lbs off but it's in the fridge and in hungry for it. I think another 9 hours in fire gear while its 80 degrees out and 90% humidity will help bring the weight back off lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think the SOS I'm having this morning isn't going to help me keep those 4 lbs off but it's in the fridge and in hungry for it. I think another 9 hours in fire gear while its 80 degrees out and 90% humidity will help bring the weight back off lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Like your own personal sauna.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm having one heck of a time busting the 210 mark!  :angry:   I'm doing all the right things except the weight is stalled out.  My clothes are fitting much better and I feel great however busting 210 is a nightmare.   I will get this done!!!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm having one heck of a time busting the 210 mark!  :angry:   I'm doing all the right things except the weight is stalled out.  My clothes are fitting much better and I feel great however busting 210 is a nightmare.   I will get this done!!!

Keep at it OG. I noticed that I reach plateaus - and then all of a sudden I break through. I'm dealing with that now at 172, trying to break into the high 160's which I then want to maintain. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Keep at it OG. I noticed that I reach plateaus - and then all of a sudden I break through. I'm dealing with that now at 172, trying to break into the high 160's which I then want to maintain. 

Yes sir we are striving to reach goals and road bumps are part of the journey.  

Cleveland

I'm having one heck of a time busting the 210 mark! :angry: I'm doing all the right things except the weight is stalled out. My clothes are fitting much better and I feel great however busting 210 is a nightmare. I will get this done!!!

OG, 210 seems to be a barrier for both of us . Let's see if we can get to 200 by July 4, something for both of us to celebrate 🦅

Rick

Left Hand, 

OG, 210 seems to be a barrier for both of us . Let's see if we can get to 200 by July 4, something for both of us to celebrate

Partner that would be awesome!  I'm with you so let's focus on 200 and keep our eyes on the prize.  

Cleveland

Partner that would be awesome! I'm with you so let's focus on 200 and keep our eyes on the prize.

We're In!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm having one heck of a time busting the 210 mark! :angry: I'm doing all the right things except the weight is stalled out. My clothes are fitting much better and I feel great however busting 210 is a nightmare. I will get this done!!!

I'd say the same thing to you that I did to Rick - don't stress it - sometimes it's our body shape changing. We are all here for improved fitness and health. Weight loss is only a part of the whole.

I suggest a diet millions do. Countless web sites and YouTube channels promote. 30 books in stock at your local book store and I'm trolling? What is wrong with you two seriously?

I don't recall anyone in this thread asking for diet tips. We are all following our own plans even though we have the same goals. If keto works for you great hope you can stick with it

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Here it is a week after the 16 week program and I am still at 195.......need to get down.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Don't beat yourself up Foz, it'll happen.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Here it is a week after the 16 week program and I am still at 195.......need to get down.

Amen to Mr Theo on the Keto thing - I'm delighted to hear that a diet is helping someone with their fitness goals, thanks to Comemonday for the suggestion. But let's move on to the point of this thread which is to encourage one another in their efforts.

@Foz - I think all of us have stalled out at some point. It's way better to stall for a bit at 195 than 210. Don't get discouraged, keep working your plan and you will be healthier regardless of what the scale says.

My scale wasn't as kind today as it's been of late but I'm about to have a huge non-scale victory. I have the go buy a belt. I don't have a single one that fits me anymore.

Amen to Mr Theo on the Keto thing - I'm delighted to hear that a diet is helping someone with their fitness goals, thanks to Comemonday for the suggestion. But let's move on to the point of this thread which is to encourage one another in their efforts.

@Foz - I think all of us have stalled out at some point. It's way better to stall for a bit at 195 than 210. Don't get discouraged, keep working your plan and you will be healthier regardless of what the scale says.

My scale wasn't as kind today as it's been of late but I'm about to have a huge non-scale victory. I have the go buy a belt. I don't have a single one that fits me anymore.

The other thing we shouldn't lose sight of is that many of us have combined the personal weight loss program with some form of fitness training  - be it strength, flexibility or endurance. Both of these elements  - weight loss and fitness are a slam dunk for personal health. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart