Are players irons really only for 'players' ?

StrokerAce

Mizuno did an awesome job blending the hosel and the face on those 64's... you may have shown me “The Ones”...

When I was looking for new irons, I hit the 59's against the 64's and there was no comparison between the two for me. The 64's felt much crisper (?) than the 59's, which felt harsh to me... if that makes any sense...lol. I really like the 64's. I won't be changing irons any time soon, and I've been playing them since 2014.

• Like 3

FWIW - My index is the same over many years ... Ping Eye2 irons ... Titleist 680 blades ... 681 blades & now Miura blades. It's the Archer - not the arrow. I just prefer to work my shots & know if I pured the shot. Blades let ME know ... cavity backs do not. I did not list the many cavity backs I have played ... lack of bandwidth.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Been wanting to do something like this for a while. Just mess around with some blades. There's a set of VR pro irons that's been on a local classifieds site for I can't remember how long and he reposts them every couple weeks. To keep them near the top of the listings. If my tax return is any good this year I may have to treat myself. They're in good condition and for $300 it's tough to go wrong

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You pick any yet Stroker?

Wow...I'm really blown away by the responses in here.

First, let me say how pleasant it is to get such encouraging advice.  I know that this wouldn't be possible on some other-forums-not-to-be-named.  :lol:

I tried to tally up what has been recommended thus far and it really stretches far and wide.

In no particular order...

• Mizuno 
  •  - in general 5x
  •  - specifically: MP 32, 33, 64
  • Hogan Ft Worth, Apex
  • Tommy Armour 845 Evo, Silver Scot
  • Adams CMB x2
  • Cleveland TA3
  • Wishon 565, 575
  • Cobra (in general)
  • Wilson FG Tour V4
  • KZG (in general) x2

As you can see, a fantastic list to choose from!

What I would like is a "progressive/combo" set that has

-- a bit of cavity back in the 4,5,6 so there is a touch of forgiveness and for added distance 

-- a "muscle" back (ed: what a hilarious term for a golf club) in the 8, 9, P for distance control and work-ability

you'll notice I don't have the 7 listed... I go back and forth on whether this should be a cavity back or not...I'm leaning not right now..

There are very few sets of irons on the market like this; you usually need to 'make your own'...and by that I mean create a combo set yourself.

I've been exploring a few things such as picking up single irons for 20-30 bucks, scouring the interwebs for sets that come in CB/MB, etc.

As of now I'm still searching and ... for heaven's sake I won't be buying anything during the "silly season".... at the very least I'll wait until after the PGA show when everyone gets OVER THE MOON CRAZY FOR THE NEW STUFF AND IS LOOKING TO DUMP ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THEY OWN TO HAVE THAT NEWFANGLED JAIL-CAGE-BREAK-BAR-THRUSTER.

I'm keeping my eyes wide open and keep looking around for what's out there and what might fit the bill (absolute ecstasy in each and every shot..haha)

BY ALL MEANS... if you have additional suggestions send them along; as you can see there are a couple other guys who have considered something like this for this year and hopefully this thread can serve as a point of reference going forward to anyone who may consider it in the future!

• Like 6

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

First, let me say how pleasant it is to get such encouraging advice. I know that this wouldn't be possible on some other-forums-not-to-be-named. [emoji38]

I tried to tally up what has been recommended thus far and it really stretches far and wide.

• Mizuno
  • - in general 5x
  • - specifically: MP 32, 33, 64
  • Hogan Ft Worth, Apex
  • Adams CMB x2
  • Cleveland TA3
  • Wishon 565, 575
  • Cobra (in general)
  • Wilson FG Tour V4
  • KZG (in general) x2

-- a bit of cavity back in the 4,5,6 so there is a touch of forgiveness and for added distance

-- a "muscle" back (ed: what a hilarious term for a golf club) in the 8, 9, P for distance control and work-ability

you'll notice I don't have the 7 listed... I go back and forth on whether this should be a cavity back or not...I'm leaning not right now..

There are very few sets of irons on the market like this; you usually need to 'make your own'...and by that I mean create a combo set yourself.

I've been exploring a few things such as picking up single irons for 20-30 bucks, scouring the interwebs for sets that come in CB/MB, etc.

As of now I'm still searching and ... for heaven's sake I won't be buying anything during the "silly season".... at the very least I'll wait until after the PGA show when everyone gets OVER THE MOON CRAZY FOR THE NEW STUFF AND IS LOOKING TO DUMP ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THEY OWN TO HAVE THAT NEWFANGLED JAIL-CAGE-BREAK-BAR-THRUSTER.

I'm keeping my eyes wide open and keep looking around for what's out there and what might fit the bill (absolute ecstasy in each and every shot..haha)

BY ALL MEANS... if you have additional suggestions send them along; as you can see there are a couple other guys who have considered something like this for this year and hopefully this thread can serve as a point of reference going forward to anyone who may consider it in the future!

The wishon 575 have a cavity very small but a cavity. You can get the cavity in 3 through 7. With them being a lesser known brand they can be found on eBay fairly cheap. If I lived closer I would gladly let you try mine which I do really love.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

First, let me say how pleasant it is to get such encouraging advice.  I know that this wouldn't be possible on some other-forums-not-to-be-named.  :lol:

• Mizuno 
  •  - in general 5x
  •  - specifically: MP 32, 33, 64
  • Hogan Ft Worth, Apex
  • Adams CMB x2
  • Cleveland TA3
  • Wishon 565, 575
  • Cobra (in general)
  • Wilson FG Tour V4
  • KZG (in general) x2

I know I'm now a bit of a Mizuno fanboy after the JPX 900 test, but I can't think of any irons that blend more perfectly together than the mp-18 if you're looking to make a combo set. Further, if you have any doubt on the 7i, go with the more forgiving one.

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 10* Ventus Red

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Check eBay, I was searching the other day and found a lefty combo Mp53/MP68 that look sweet, 399. Take a look there may be something out there already

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Bringing a whole new meaning to butter knives....

attachicon.gifIMG_2553.JPG

Where do you find all of this stuff!?

• Like 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Countless hours of looking for “The Ones”

A relentless and agonizing pursuit...

If I make my first hole in one without "the ones" I will regret it until the day I die...

Sent from a bunker filled with mana

• Like 2

A relentless and agonizing pursuit...

If I make my first hole in one without "the ones" I will regret it until the day I die...

Sent from a bunker filled with mana

Not me. I'd still be happy if I made my first one with a hosel rocket off a borrowed, bent, and rusty Spalding Top Flite.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Not me. I'd still be happy if I made my first one with a hosel rocket off a borrowed, bent, and rusty Spalding Top Flite.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

My first one was a banana slice with a sky marked up, bent hosel, ladies flex Adams Air Assault driver.

True story.

• Like 5

My first one was a banana slice with a sky marked up, bent hosel, ladies flex Adams Air Assault driver.

True story.

Now imagine how much better that will feel with your new Cobra blade 5i from 192!

Sent from my Kindle fire using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

True story.

I'd take it! Still don't have one so I wouldn' care how I got it.

• Like 2

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Now imagine how much better that will feel with your new Cobra blade 5i from 192!

Sent from my Kindle fire using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I had one this past season, and trust me it wont matter what club it is. I never once said or even thought “man I wish that was with a different club”.

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind