What IS My Bag- The Caddie Bag

deejaid

I'm a walking golfer. It's a completely different game than cart golf. Walking golf, particularly when you carry your bag, is almost like a backpacking trip. When I set out on foot, whether on a trail or a golf course, everything I need is in my bag. Whatever I may need is right there slung over my shoulders.

But what is the perfect walking golf bag? Are the latest lightweight nylon minimalist bags the best for a walking round of 18? Or was it perfected 20 years ago, by a small skilled maker who envisioned the perfect walking bag, but didn't have the resources to fulfill his vision.

The Caddie Bag

My search for a new walking bag started with two requirements:

1. Every club has to be equally easily accessible. I'm sick of carry bags that have 4-way dividers with odd shapes that make seeing all my clubs difficult, and removing them even more so.

2. It has to have a classic look, meaning minimal graphics. I'm not a billboard and unless a company wants to pay me to use their bag, I'm not advertising.

I began looking at Ouul bags, lightweight bags with no large names or graphics, just subtle patterns of colors. The 5-way divider also looked better engineered for ease of club removal. I just couldn't get over the color patterns though, they looked just a bit feminine. I'm not sure it they would look good on a guy 6'2”.

IMG_20180410_171045.jpg

I continued my search on eBay and stumbled upon...The Caddie Bag. A quick Google search brought nothing. Looking up the Patent numbers did show the design of the bag was patented in 1995. I had never heard of this bag or seen one. It didn't matter, I had to buy it.

IMG_20180410_170747.jpg

When the bag arrived, I was blown away. This thing is New Old Stock, in perfect shape with tags still attached and paperwork inside the bag. Made in Scotland, the bag is of the upmost quality. Heavy duty canvas surrounds the bag, even covering the legs and hinge point, no doubt to protect it from wet Scottish weather.

IMG_20180410_170829.jpg

The functionality is unbelievable. To open the bag you remove it from your shoulder and set it down with the handle. The handle lifts up and top opens, revealing all 14 clubs, 12 around the perimeter, and two in the middle. To close, you simply lift up by the shoulder strap and put it on your shoulder. The mechanism is simple and effective.

IMG_20180410_171005.jpg

IMG_20180410_170849.jpg

IMG_20180410_171018.jpg

IMG_20180410_170950.jpg

Also simple are the pockets. A 3-compartment pocket at the bottom of the bag seems to be just enough to hold a balls and tees in one compartment; cell phone, keys, and wallet in another; and a 32 oz water bottle in the last. A final large pocket is on the underside of the legs and holds the rain hood and a sweater or jacket.

IMG_20180410_170823.jpg

IMG_20180410_170928.jpg

The Caddie Bag has obviously been designed for the serious golfer, it's quality is undeniable. Yet, that might be this bags downfall. Made of such heavy duty materials, this bag weighs in at a whopping 8.6 lbs, 4 lbs heavier than my current bag. Was that weight what also caused this bag to be a commercial failure? Was it too expensive to produce? What happened to The Caddie Bag Company?

IMG_20180410_171247.jpg

Can The Caddie Bag's unique design make up for its hefty weight? I'll find out over the next few months as I carry this beauty around on my nature walks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

That thing looks really cool (the KZG's inside the bag don't hurt either). I know what you mean about graphics. Sun Mountain is horrible about that. I somehow found a 2.5 on Amazon with no graphics. 8.6 lbs is too many for me to lug around, but I look forward to hearing about your adventures with this!

What's in the bag:
Driver - TaylorMade Qi10 - Mitsubishi Diamana 60g (S)
3 Wood  - Callaway OG Big Bertha - RCH 90 (Firm)
5 Wood - Cobra Speed LD (L)
Driving Iron - New Level NLU-01
5i - PW - Wilson Staff D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - Cleveland CBX
58* - Cleveland CBX Full Face 2
Putter - Ping Craz-e
Bag - Sun Mountain 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  Titleist AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

That is a really interesting design. Do you get much club chatter while you are walking with the bag or does it keep them pretty well separated?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

:callaway-small:  Apex Ai200  5-PW |  DG 115 Mid
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
:EVNROLL:  ER2
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

bettinardilogo2MGS.png

That is a really interesting design. Do you get much club chatter while you are walking with the bag or does it keep them pretty well separated?

The shafts are separated by individual canvas tubes. The heads actually rest on top of each other when the bag is closed, kind of folded up upon each other. The heads don't really rattle or bang together too much as the bag does a good job keeping the clubs from spinning in its tube. Much better than a standard 4-way divider top.

I think most chatter also comes from an edge on one club striking another. Since the club heads all kind of lay flat on each other no edges are making contact with another club.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Man, that is a well thought out bag! Love the idea to close the top to keep the clubs secure and reduce chatter. Do you mind if I ask what it cost you?

I'm pretty minimalist when I carry, so the lack of pockets wouldn't bother me. Gonna have to weigh my bag to see how heavy it is empty. Definitely not that heavy, but probably not far off.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Man, that is a well thought out bag! Love the idea to close the top to keep the clubs secure and reduce chatter. Do you mind if I ask what it cost you?

I'm pretty minimalist when I carry, so the lack of pockets wouldn't bother me. Gonna have to weigh my bag to see how heavy it is empty. Definitely not that heavy, but probably not far off.

$103 shipped to my door. I was really intrigued by the design as well when I first saw it. The fact that I could find nothing online about it made me even more curious so I had to buy it. I took a chance as the seller listed it as “excellent condition” but the pictures weren't that great. I was really pleased when it arrived and was New Old Stock, better than expected.

With all my clubs, 9 balls, and a full water bottle this thing weighs in at just under 25 lbs. There is absolutely no weight savings whatsoever. Things like buckles that on a new bag would be plastic are heavy metal pieces on this bag. The thickness or weight of the canvas feels very durable.

I look at this bag and think if you could shave 3 lbs off it, it could be a great seller. It's got the simple, classic look of a Jones bag, but a much more well thought out design for the club arrangement.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Yeah I spent a bit of time on google after I posted that and couldn't find a picture or any mention of it (even on those dreaded other forums). Simple and gets the job done. I would definitely look into getting one if I could find one.... Anywhere....

If the canvas was removed from the leg/hinge area, and the mechanism to open and close the top along with some of the support around it that is metal based on the pictures was switched out for a plastic, you might get those 3 lbs you're looking for.

Your new bag looks great, simple and classic design.  I wish my bag (Sun Mountain four5) had that pop out side feature.  Not sure I would carry this bag on a long hilly course though.  Interested to hear how you like it after a bunch of rounds.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Had to get some proper matching headcovers for it. IMG_20180412_093014.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

That's a really cool design. It'll be interesting to hear what you think about it 6 months from now, if you use it.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

That's one awesome bag. Good find OP. I look forward to hearing how it holds up and how you like it

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Cobra F8 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 50 Stiff
3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
5 Wood: Callaway Epic 19* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged True Temper XP 105 shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T7 54* and 58*
Putter: Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Heavy
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour

I've taken it to the range twice and hope to get out for a round later this week. So far, I love the way the clubs fan out and each club is easy to find, and the clubs don't get caught when removing them.

Only negative to this point is loading the bag in the trunk. Usually you'd naturally grab for the handle on the back of the bag to put it in the trunk but doing that with this bag fans open the top and extends the legs, so it is a little awkward in that regard.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 1 month later...

Well, I admit defeat. The bag is just too heavy for me. The added weight of the bag, plus the fact I am carrying 14 clubs again, I am pretty wiped when I'm finished 18.

The construction of the bag is first rate and the engineering superb, but it is just overbuilt.

Guess I'll look for another walking bag sans graphics.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 4 weeks later...

Can't believe I missed this post.

That's a really interesting bag - design concept. I'd like to see one in action so I can really see how it functions. But I get it.

I could see how a bag company might take this idea and improve on it. Certainly getting the weight down. Also seems like there would be a way to have the bag fan-out just by setting it down. Like most stand bags operate. The legs pop out and the bag fans open. All in one step.

Really good informative post and the photos are great.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived