GolfSpy MPR

New England: ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT

On 3/1/2019 at 11:50 AM, Ndisanti44 said:

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am from Pittsfield, MA.  I am a member at both Taconic Country Club in Williamstown and Berkshire Hills Country Club in Pittsfield

I've been dying to play Taconic for years - maybe this summer. Just purchased a foursome at Crumpin-Fox in Bernardston - will be hitting that sometime this spring/summer. 

Hey Golf Spies,

Bryan from outside of Boston here.  I grew up about 45 minutes west of Boston, went to school just outside the city, lived there for a few years, and now am back about 45 minutes away, almost right between Boston and Providence.

Long time lurker here, finally setting up an account.  Before I get started, I'd like to thank GolfSpy for the testing and reviews/analysis that they do.  It is awesome to get into those details without the marketing fluff from all of the OEMs.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have been playing golf for as long as I can remember.  I learned to play with my dad on a little executive 9-hole course that is unfortunately now closed.  (Pine Acres in Bellingham).  Since I graduated for College my game has gotten consistently better and I am currently down to an 8.9, hoping to drop even lower this year.  My personal best was a 75 as Wentworth Hills Country Club.  Twice I have scored 4 birdies in a 5 hole stretch, and I also scored an Albatross on the par 5 9th hole at Shining Rock during league play last season! 
  2. What do you love about golf?

I love the challenge the game brings both physically and mentally.  The battle between playing against the course and my own weaknesses on the course and against other players in match play.  I love being outside and enjoying nature, as well as the camaraderie and back and fourth banter between my playing mates.  We all want to win, and get better every time we play, but we also have fun and can laugh at our bad shots too.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I have been on this site for reviews and forum threads in the past, but never had made a page for myself.  I don't know that I know any other Spies, but then we wouldn't be Spies right?! I love the no-nonsense approach of the analysis and reviews done here, and appreciate how they make the technical work they do and write it so that it is digestible by someone without an engineering degree.
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I currently live in Bellingham, MA and play most frequently as Shining Rock in Northbridge as that is where my league meets.
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best is the variation of playing conditions and scenery between the seasons and styles of courses around.  We have every style of course imaginable and the fall foliage creates a beautiful and serene backdrop for late season play.  The winter is of course the #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6th worst things about golf in New England.  But you knew that already.  #7 is probably cost.
  6. What do you do for a living?

I am a financial analyst for a large software company HQ'd in MA.
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

Pretty simple really, B for Bryan Boston for my states Capital.  I use it whenever it's not taken.

I know everyone loves to share photos, here are a few of mine from the past season.  Please note neither of those swings are mine, so you can critique them all you want and won't hurt my feelings! 

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

• Like 4

20 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Hey Golf Spies,

Bryan from outside of Boston here.  I grew up about 45 minutes west of Boston, went to school just outside the city, lived there for a few years, and now am back about 45 minutes away, almost right between Boston and Providence.

Long time lurker here, finally setting up an account.  Before I get started, I'd like to thank GolfSpy for the testing and reviews/analysis that they do.  It is awesome to get into those details without the marketing fluff from all of the OEMs.

Welcome aboard!  I live next door in Franklin.... pics look like Pinehills and Granite Links?

I play mostly west of 495 and usually go southward also.  
Connecticut National
Blissful Meadows
Blackstone National

got a buddy who was born/raised in RI and lives in Franklin so we head down there sometimes.  Some good courses that way!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Welcome aboard!  I live next door in Franklin.... pics look like Pinehills and Granite Links?

I play mostly west of 495 and usually go southward also.  
Connecticut National
Blissful Meadows
Blackstone National

got a buddy who was born/raised in RI and lives in Franklin so we head down there sometimes.  Some good courses that way!

Thanks, Yes those were mostly Pinehills and Granite.  One of Widows Walk (the overcooked iron) and one at Point Sebago (the driver swing).  Blissful may be my favorite course.  Although the Jones course was pretty amazing.  Blackstone is in my top 10 tracks too.  I played Connecticut national one time and liked it.  I grew up in Milford so played a lot of the area courses growing up. 

• Like 3

Hey Everyone. 

I've been following MGS for a long time and have been meaning to get more active on the boards for almost just as long. This year is the year.

I don't have a cool signature or an badges, but I want them:)

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been really playing now for 7 years. Last year was my 1st with a HC and I ended the season as an 11.1. I shot a low of 78 (Career Best) and a high of 99. Worth noting I shot 99 the day before I shot 78, all on the same course. I'm typically shooting in the mid-high 80's to low 90's

What do you love about golf?

Is "everything" an acceptable answer? I consume all things golf. I love the challenge, I love simplicity and complexity of it. I love that I can be absolutely anti-social, totally independent, and then also be my happiest being part of a big group of obnoxious fools just out to escape for a few hours.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I do not "know" any Spies. I've been reading and listening, and watching content on here for years and always told myself I'd enjoy getting more involved.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live in Central MA, near Worcester. My home course was Juniper Hill but instead of renewing my HC there I joined the Veterans Golf Association and now my "Home Course" is a VGA Admin Club through the Carolina Golf Association. Very unorthodox, but as a veteran I wanted to see what the organization was all about.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The worst by far is the weather. Golf is seasonal here and winter is such a bummer.We have a lot of decent courses to play for not all that much money. Couple dog tracks here and there, which serve their purpose, but some really well-kept places for around $70 on the weekends. Not a lack for places to play, when Mother Nature allows it.

What do you do for a living?

I work as an extension of Biotech and Pharma Industry. More or less as a support piece helping to manage the careers of the folks who are working to develop therapies& treatments for patients who need them.

How’d you pick your user name?

I put some time into Youtube channel called MadDad a little while back. It never amounted to anything, I basically just complained about everyday stuff and only my family and some friends subscribed, but the name kind of stuck.. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 1:03 PM, B.Boston said:

Hey Golf Spies,

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have been playing golf for as long as I can remember.  I learned to play with my dad on a little executive 9-hole course that is unfortunately now closed.  (Pine Acres in Bellingham).  Since I graduated for College my game has gotten consistently better and I am currently down to an 8.9, hoping to drop even lower this year.  My personal best was a 75 as Wentworth Hills Country Club.  Twice I have scored 4 birdies in a 5 hole stretch, and I also scored an Albatross on the par 5 9th hole at Shining Rock during league play last season! 

Live in Millbury and play at Shining Rock often. I probably play there, Highfields in Grafton, and Blackstone the most. Blissful is almost always my first round of the year because it opens a little sooner than those other places.

• Like 3

Live in Millbury and play at Shining Rock often. I probably play there, Highfields in Grafton, and Blackstone the most. Blissful is almost always my first round of the year because it opens a little sooner than those other places.

I enjoy Highfields and play there a couple times a year. Played Blackstone without a GPS or laser and it was a mess. Shining Rock was great until I chipped a wedge hitting out of a bunker with a boulder under the sand.

This thread is great and hopefully the NE guys can get together at some point.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I enjoy Highfields and play there a couple times a year. Played Blackstone without a GPS or laser and it was a mess. Shining Rock was great until I chipped a wedge hitting out of a bunker with a boulder under the sand.

Count me in boys! I live in NH but travel to Cranston regularly - have played Blackstone several times, Blissful Meadows once (with Stroker), New England CC and a bunch others - learned to play at Stow Acres in the 80's, also play Red Tail, Shaker Hills, Westminster CC and many more. 

• Like 3

Where in NH? Me and another new (and probably not as vocal) member here are planning a trip in June. His brother has access to a house in Meredith so we’re planning to play 4 rounds in two days.

Have you (or anyone else here) played any of these:

-Ridgewood Country Club
-Indian Mound Golf Club
-North Conway Country Club
-Wentworth Country Club

Seems like those are the best options near us. Any other suggestions you guys have is awesome too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Where in NH? Me and another new (and probably not as vocal) member here are planning a trip in June. His brother has access to a house in Meredith so we’re planning to play 4 rounds in two days.

-Ridgewood Country Club
-Indian Mound Golf Club
-Wentworth Country Club

Seems like those are the best options near us. Any other suggestions you guys have is awesome too!

I'm in Exeter, near the Seacoast. Play most of my golf at Breakfast Hill in Greenland. Considered joining Abenaqui in Rye, but with travel not sure if it would be worth it. Played at Pease in Portsmouth a couple of times - not a favorite. Like Atkinson a lot, too. 

Only been here a year. Lived in Minnesota for the previous 22 years - in Leominster and Harvard MA before that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I'd definitely like to expand my NE golf horizons a bit and head further south into RI and north into NH, ME, VT more. Tough wehn you only get to play maybe twice a month and the usual guys need something cheap and local. 

Outside of playing Newport National for my wedding, the furthest south I've gone is Blissful

14 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Count me in boys! I live in NH but travel to Cranston regularly - have played Blackstone several times, Blissful Meadows once (with Stroker), New England CC and a bunch others - learned to play at Stow Acres in the 80's, also play Red Tail, Shaker Hills, Westminster CC and many more. 

Haven't played RedTail in a few years. Played Shaker last year for the first time since all of their renovations were completed. Cyprian Keyes is a place I dread, nice course, I just can;t play there for some reason.

Anyone been out to Butterbrook? I really like that course. Also Kettlebrook in Paxton is very nice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I'm in Exeter, near the Seacoast. Play most of my golf at Breakfast Hill in Greenland. Considered joining Abenaqui in Rye, but with travel not sure if it would be worth it. Played at Pease in Portsmouth a couple of times - not a favorite. Like Atkinson a lot, too. 

Only been here a year. Lived in Minnesota for the previous 22 years - in Leominster and Harvard MA before that.

My In-Laws have been going up to Hampton almost their whole lives, and have played Dennis Pines a couple of times. Would love to get out around that area a bit more too. Would love to play Portsmouth 

3 minutes ago, MadDad said:

Haven't played RedTail in a few years. Played Shaker last year for the first time since all of their renovations were completed. Cyprian Keyes is a place I dread, nice course, I just can;t play there for some reason.

Anyone been out to Butterbrook? I really like that course. Also Kettlebrook in Paxton is very nice.

haven't tried butterbrook.

Kettlebrook in the fall is fantastic!  Love that course.
A couple new ones I played last year and really liked - Connecticut National and Acushnet River Valley.... Acushnet was great and I think some of the Titleist folks play there.

Exeter country club in RI, Poquoy Brook is fun.  Stowe acres is great.
Cyprian is tough... narrow and you've got to be on your game.
Waverly Oaks is real nice.
Red Tail is on my bucket list but whew, it's expensive!

I need to head up towards NH this year.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, B.Boston said:

-Ridgewood Country Club
-Indian Mound Golf Club
-Wentworth Country Club

We used to do a guys trip up to NH and played Owl's Nest.  
That is an amazing course - I could play it every day for the entire season.  So much fun.

https://www.owlsnestresort.com/golf/

• Like 2

I posted this a general thread too, but could anyone hear give me a rundown on the signatures and badges?

Would love to hop on the train with getting my signature dolled up with a "what's in my bag". Are we downloading OEM logos and using HTML to include in the signature?

Same thing for the Use badges (Broke 80, Donor, etc.)?

20 minutes ago, MadDad said:

Played Butter Brook last year - loved it! Had a great round going until the triple on 18.  Really interesting course. I like courses that make you hit something other than driver on some of the holes...several short par 5's and a couple of reachable par 5's.

Cyprian Keys is maybe the quirkiest course I've played around here. Kind of course you have to play regularly to figure out. I'm with you - it's weird. 

Love the back 9 at Red Tail - hell, the front ain't bad, either.  I picked up some Spring BOGO's for Shaker Hills (good until May 31st)  and a bunch of $49 coupons for the Ledges in York, ME at the Golf Show. Hear really good things about that course.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MadDad said:

I posted this a general thread too, but could anyone hear give me a rundown on the signatures and badges?

Would love to hop on the train with getting my signature dolled up with a "what's in my bag". Are we downloading OEM logos and using HTML to include in the signature?

Same thing for the Use badges (Broke 80, Donor, etc.)?

I can help you with the badges....what are you looking for?

For the signature go here - https://forum.mygolfspy.com/settings/signature/ - and you can set it up.

Check out what the other guys have and you'll get an idea.  There are small jpg images you can use in the editor.

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Red Tail is on my bucket list but whew, it's expensive!

They have some spring specials - if you can get away on a weekday it can be had for around $65 or so...

• Like 1

We used to do a guys trip up to NH and played Owl's Nest.  
That is an amazing course - I could play it every day for the entire season.  So much fun.
https://www.owlsnestresort.com/golf/

Wow that looks nice!

It might be just a little too far between courses since it’s an hour from the other closest one, but I might push for it since I want to play it now. Haha thanks for the link!

• Like 1