Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

5 hours ago, sporto923 said:

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

- I started playing when I was young but didn't continue as other sports took over.  Started playing more serious and consistent again about 6 years ago.  My handicap is currently at a 10.6 and usual scores are in the 80s.

What do you love about golf?

- Golf has been a great avenue to meet people who have a like minded hobby.  I have made some great friendships through the game.  There is no better way to spend a nice summer day then being outside on the golf course, unless its on a friends boat 🙂

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

- I like that MyGolfSpy test everything equal, are unbiased and doesn't fold to the brand pressure in the golf industry.  I also started following MGS when I was putting together a sim build as they provided lots of great information and a helpful community.  I know a handful of other spies.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

- I am from Royal Oak, MI which I saw a couple other spies are located here or are in close proximity.  I have been lucky enough that my home course is Detroit Golf Club.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

- As many have mentioned the worst is the shortened season due to weather.  However, it is very tough to beat summer golf in Michigan, especially if you head to northern MI.

What do you do for a living?

- I work as a Manufacturers Rep in the automotive industry.

How’d you pick your user name?

- This was my original screen name back when AIM was around and I have continued to use it 

Welcome to the forum sporto923 from one not too far away from your location.

Also saw your home course, and I have played there in the past as a guest of a friend of our family when both he and my Dad were still alive. Many years ago.

Also I worked in the past with your current club president, or I believe that is his title? Keith S. to keep somethings confidential.

A great group here, so look around and feel free to add comments or ask questions in the many topics here.

Be sure to also check out the "Good Morning" topic for a great start to your day.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

I've been enjoying the forum for just over a year now, so I think it's time to introduce myself in the regional thread! 😆

I played golf starting at age 14 and played a lot in high school. After high school I only played 7 times in the 16 years! In the fall of 2021, some friends asked me to be in a scramble and since then I've been hooked. My handicap is a 7.4 and my scores average in the upper 70's to mid 80's.

I love the process of trying to get better, that I was able to golf with my grandfather and I can golf with my children, and being outside.

I initially went to MGS for the ball test results because I thought the testing and data provided was fascinating. Then I was in the market for some new irons and found the forum through my iron research. I do not know any other spies personally. 

I live in a small town south of Jackson, Michigan. I'm not a member at any course, but the courses I play the most are The Grande, Cascades, Hills Heart O' the Lakes, and Devil's Lake.

The worst thing is definitely the wintertime, but other than that, my area is in the wind belt and we can get some crazy wind conditions. Then I drive 30 minutes north or south and it's calm as can be. The best thing is that there are so many courses and each one has a different style and character.

I'm a Protection Engineer for power generation facilities throughout the state of Michigan. I design the protection systems that keep the personnel and equipment within the plant safe and prevent catastrophic failure.

College nickname.

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

On 2/9/2024 at 2:50 PM, rkj427 said:

Welcome to the forum sporto923 from one not too far away from your location.

Also saw your home course, and I have played there in the past as a guest of a friend of our family when both he and my Dad were still alive. Many years ago.

Also I worked in the past with your current club president, or I believe that is his title? Keith S. to keep somethings confidential.

A great group here, so look around and feel free to add comments or ask questions in the many topics here.

Be sure to also check out the "Good Morning" topic for a great start to your day.

I hope you enjoyed your time at DGC, there is currently a really good membership group there.  If you ever are looking to play it again let me know.  Always looking to play and meet new people.

- DT

Wisconsin

1. I have been playing golf for 15 years.

2. I love golf because it gets us outside in nature and it surrounds us with fun people.

3. I don't know any other spies. I came to MyGolfSpy to keep up with the industry and hear what others have to say about certain products or topics in golf.

4. I'm from Green Bay WI "GO PACK GO BABY", and would say I don't have a home course. I am on the St. Norbert College Golf team and we practice out at Green Bay Country Club.

5. The Best (Whole State: The State how Wisconsin is rich in public golf while offering some of the best options for golfers who have the budget to play some nice courses.

6. Full-Time Student, this summer I will be a Superintendents Intern

7. Mix Wisconsin with a part of me and obviously golf.

Ping G425 Driver | Callaway Rogue LST 2-wood | Ping G400 3 Hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 2-Iron | Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Vokey SM9 50 & 56 degree

Scotty Cameron Red-Xs (center shafted) 15 inch Winn Grip

1. How long have you been playing golf?

Seriously for about 5 years.  Used to played once or twice a summer as a kid with my dad and brother.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score?

3. What do you love about golf?

As I had to hang up the boxing gloves, it allows me to scratch the competitive itch in a body friendly way 🙂 

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Enjoy reading the product tests and reviews.  I don't know any spies in real life, but I bet they are out there lurking in the shadows.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course?

Metro Detroit, MI.  DGC

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The amount of quality courses within a 3 hour drive. The weather in season is usually great.  The off-season can be cold and long.  It would be nice if there were more indoor facilities to help keep your game sharp while there is snow on the ground.

7. What do you do for a living?

Structured Finance

8. How’d you pick your user name?

I've played bass for 25+ years and my main bass is a 5 string Lakland.

43 minutes ago, lakland5strng said:

1. How long have you been playing golf?

Seriously for about 5 years.  Used to played once or twice a summer as a kid with my dad and brother.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score?

3. What do you love about golf?

As I had to hang up the boxing gloves, it allows me to scratch the competitive itch in a body friendly way 🙂 

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Enjoy reading the product tests and reviews.  I don't know any spies in real life, but I bet they are out there lurking in the shadows.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course?

Metro Detroit, MI.  DGC

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The amount of quality courses within a 3 hour drive. The weather in season is usually great.  The off-season can be cold and long.  It would be nice if there were more indoor facilities to help keep your game sharp while there is snow on the ground.

7. What do you do for a living?

Structured Finance

8. How’d you pick your user name?

I've played bass for 25+ years and my main bass is a 5 string Lakland.

Welcome to the MGS forum from another in your area.

Be sure to look around the forum and check out the various topics and threads, and maybe create a WITB (What's In The Bag) so other members can learn and interact with you.

This is a great group of friendly people with a common interest in golf here.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

On 2/15/2024 at 9:35 AM, WiscoWarpGolf said:

Wisconsin

Welcome to the forum. Hope you get some great info and are able to share as well. I grew up in WI and graduated from Point, many years ago. Welcome.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing since about last summer. Always had an interest though but was given some old hand me down clubs from my dad. Hoping to further improve my game this year especially with a  newer driver in the bag that doesn’t have 20 years of grime, rust, chips, and dings hah. Dont have any idea on handicap as of the moment. Will update once I figure that out! 

2. What do you love about golf? I love the complexity of golf and how every single course is different. I thoroughly enjoy the feeling of a good swing especially as a new player where those are few and far between. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I was purely looking for a golf forum where I could get tips and just be apart of a community environment with everyone having a common interest! 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Grew up in Grand Rapids, MI but now reside in the Saginaw area. Home course now is the Sawmill and The Fortress in Frankenmuth!

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Definitely has to be the reduced season length due to the winters in Michigan! 

6. What do you do for a living? Currently work in customer service for General Motors however I am working on my marketing degree! Working toward my associates and bachelors at the same time! Should be done with associates next spring. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? Being in the thumb of Michigan, it came relatively easy! 

Welcome @ThumbGolfer always good to see another Michigander here in the forum! Lots to read/learn/do here on MGS. Have fun, welcome to the game, and congrats on working toward your degree! 

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 21* | B1 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9X

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

On 2/11/2019 at 4:27 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• Playing for the past 20 or so years on and off. Currently about a 12 handicap. 

2. What do you love about golf?

• Constantly wanting to improve myself. I also enjoy walking outside for 4 hours. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• Solid content and reviews. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

• Chicago, IL. I play Indian Boundary a lot. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Golf in the city is pretty bad. Having to drive out an hour-ish to find good courses. 

6. What do you do for a living?

• Computer repair tech

7. How’d you pick your user name?

• It's me. 

Started golfing in 2007-08 when I moved back to Michigan. Typically shoot in the mid- to high 90s - on a bad day I'll be at 105 or so. My goal this year is to break 90.

I love the challenge of golf - the individual aspect of beating myself or losing to myself. And nothing beats being outside on a sunny day enjoying the sunshine and grass.

Started reading club reviews and course information and went from there.

I live in Grant and work in Rockford, but the course I play the most is the Sparta Moose Lodge. I can get 9 holes in on my lunch break for less than $10.

Best - every course should be in top conditions most summers and you can still find decent deals on great courses. 

Worst - winter, and the courses that open on nice days are too far from me.

I work for a nonprofit food pantry in fundraising and development.

That's an easy one - it's my Twitter and Instagram handle, and email going back to high school.

Bag Boy Sparta XL

Cleveland Launcher HB

Mizuno ST-180 3 Wood

Srixon Z H65 3H

Ping G410 4i

Callaway Razr X HL 5-PW

Cleveland CBX2 50, 56

Maltby 60

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 4 Putter

On 2/26/2024 at 12:36 AM, ThumbGolfer said:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing since about last summer. Always had an interest though but was given some old hand me down clubs from my dad. Hoping to further improve my game this year especially with a  newer driver in the bag that doesn’t have 20 years of grime, rust, chips, and dings hah. Dont have any idea on handicap as of the moment. Will update once I figure that out! 

2. What do you love about golf? I love the complexity of golf and how every single course is different. I thoroughly enjoy the feeling of a good swing especially as a new player where those are few and far between. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I was purely looking for a golf forum where I could get tips and just be apart of a community environment with everyone having a common interest! 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Grew up in Grand Rapids, MI but now reside in the Saginaw area. Home course now is the Sawmill and The Fortress in Frankenmuth!

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Definitely has to be the reduced season length due to the winters in Michigan! 

6. What do you do for a living? Currently work in customer service for General Motors however I am working on my marketing degree! Working toward my associates and bachelors at the same time! Should be done with associates next spring. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? Being in the thumb of Michigan, it came relatively easy! 

@ThumbGolfer, welcome to the forum. There are lots of great tips and advice to be had. I'm a bit west of you in the St Charles area. With the weather (except for tomorrow) starting to get spring like keep in mind Crooked Creek Golf off of M46 west of town is open for walkers.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

4 hours ago, sschristie said:

Started golfing in 2007-08 when I moved back to Michigan. Typically shoot in the mid- to high 90s - on a bad day I'll be at 105 or so. My goal this year is to break 90.

I love the challenge of golf - the individual aspect of beating myself or losing to myself. And nothing beats being outside on a sunny day enjoying the sunshine and grass.

Started reading club reviews and course information and went from there.

I live in Grant and work in Rockford, but the course I play the most is the Sparta Moose Lodge. I can get 9 holes in on my lunch break for less than $10.

Best - every course should be in top conditions most summers and you can still find decent deals on great courses. 

Worst - winter, and the courses that open on nice days are too far from me.

I work for a nonprofit food pantry in fundraising and development.

That's an easy one - it's my Twitter and Instagram handle, and email going back to high school.

@sschristiewelcome to the forum. Lots of great info and folks here love to share in experiences concerning golf. Positive as well as busts. Hopefully with weather improving, you'll get out soon. Welcome fellow Michigander.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

5 hours ago, Dweed said:

@ThumbGolfer, welcome to the forum. There are lots of great tips and advice to be had. I'm a bit west of you in the St Charles area. With the weather (except for tomorrow) starting to get spring like keep in mind Crooked Creek Golf off of M46 west of town is open for walkers.

Good to know! Im hoping a range in the area is open this weekend possibly

1.  I have been golfing for around 16 years now (32 years old). I currently play to a 3.0 handicap.

2.  I love golf for a few reasons. First, it was the main connection I had with my dad during my younger years. I have some of the best memories from him and I playing golf. He passed away 2 years ago but I still think of him every time I play. I also enjoy the competition.  It's the only sport in my 30s that I can still play actively and bring back the nervous energy when a match is on the lines. Nothinh else like it.

3.  I have been on MGS for like 4-5 years (as a lurker). I like this community because it is truly a community.  Be active. People are very honest on here about golf and I love that.

4. I currently live just outside of Minneapolis MN in an eastern suburb (Woodbury). My home course is either Eagle Valley or The Royal.

5.  The best thing about golf in MN is the warm summers and playing as much as you can during that time with friends and family.  The worst is our season is very short, but I do have my own golf simulator for those winter months!

6.  I work as an Audit Senior Manager at KPMG. Whenever I get the chance to put the laptop down and go play is the highlight of my week!

7.  Years ago I used it as a gamertag, and is now always my go-to when needing to make one. Nothing special haha.

Also I mentioned before I have a simulator in my garage. Absolutely love it. GC3 with full simulator software (use both FSX Play and GSPro). Game changer being from MN.

Bonus: WITB

Driver - Ping G430 LST 9 turned down to 7.5 with weight in toe position. Shaft is ventus TR red 5s tipped 1.25". Swing weight is D5.5 at 45.5"

3 wood - Ping G430 LST 15. Standard settings. Shaft is ventus blue 7x. Plays 43.25".

2 Hybrid - Callaway Apex UW (old model) - shaft is ventus TR red 8x (FAVORITE CLUB!) 240 straight down the middle.

4 iron - Titlest T200 (2023). 1 degree strong; 2 degrees upright. Modus 120x for shaft

5-PW - Miura TC201 - 1 degree strong 2 degrees upright. LA Golf L series shafts 120x - All play around D3 swing weight.

GW/SW: Vokey Sm9 (50 F grind, 54 F grind). Shaft is dynamic gold tour issue S400.

LW: Vokey Sm9: 60 V grind (wedge works). Shaft is dynamic gold tour issue S400.

Grips are all tour velvet cord BCT - standard size

Golf ball I play is the new 2024 TP5x - initial testing it is miles better than the 2021 version. Fast and semi-soft with midspin. 

Edited by mgtrost33

Current WITB:

Driver - Ping G430 LST 9 turned down to 7.5 with weight in toe position. Shaft is ventus TR red 5s tipped 1.25". Swing weight is D5.5 at 45.5"

3 wood - Ping G430 LST 15. Standard settings. Shaft is ventus blue 7x. Plays 43.25".

2 Hybrid - Callaway Apex UW (old model) - shaft is ventus TR red 8x (FAVORITE CLUB!) 240 straight down the middle.

4 iron - Titlest T200 (2023). 1 degree strong; 2 degrees upright. Modus 120x for shaft

5-PW - Miura TC201 - 1 degree strong 2 degrees upright. LA Golf L series shafts 120x - All play around D3 swing weight.

GW/SW: Vokey Sm9 (50 F grind, 54 F grind). Shaft is dynamic gold tour issue S400.

Golf ball I play is the new 2024 TP5x - initial testing it is miles better than the 2021 version. Fast and semi-soft with mid-spin. 

13 hours ago, mgtrost33 said:

1.  I have been golfing for around 16 years now (32 years old). I currently play to a 3.0 handicap.

2.  I love golf for a few reasons. First, it was the main connection I had with my dad during my younger years. I have some of the best memories from him and I playing golf. He passed away 2 years ago but I still think of him every time I play. I also enjoy the competition.  It's the only sport in my 30s that I can still play actively and bring back the nervous energy when a match is on the lines. Nothinh else like it.

3.  I have been on MGS for like 4-5 years (as a lurker). I like this community because it is truly a community.  Be active. People are very honest on here about golf and I love that.

4. I currently live just outside of Minneapolis MN in an eastern suburb (Woodbury). My home course is either Eagle Valley or The Royal.

5.  The best thing about golf in MN is the warm summers and playing as much as you can during that time with friends and family.  The worst is our season is very short, but I do have my own golf simulator for those winter months!

6.  I work as an Audit Senior Manager at KPMG. Whenever I get the chance to put the laptop down and go play is the highlight of my week!

7.  Years ago I used it as a gamertag, and is now always my go-to when needing to make one. Nothing special haha.

Also I mentioned before I have a simulator in my garage. Absolutely love it. GC3 with full simulator software (use both FSX Play and GSPro). Game changer being from MN.

Bonus: WITB

Driver - Ping G430 LST 9 turned down to 7.5 with weight in toe position. Shaft is ventus TR red 5s tipped 1.25". Swing weight is D5.5 at 45.5"

4 iron - Titlest T200 (2023). 1 degree strong; 2 degrees upright. Modus 120x for shaft

Golf ball I play is the new 2024 TP5x - initial testing it is miles better than the 2021 version. Fast and semi-soft with midspin. 

Hey, your first post! Welcome! Great info. I am jealous of the sim. And wow, 7.5 degrees is low.

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Well been playing on and off for over 30 years now. My current handicap is 13 but is already trending downward.

What do you love about golf? I live being outdoors and the fact that it is based on how well you perform. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Was asking for testers signed up and now I'm not only putting my name in for testers but also gaining other information from other knowledgeable sources.

Where are you from? What is your home course? From Ohio and I would say my home course would be Darby Creek

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best, It's not to humid of a place so the long ball is a thing. Worst thing though is during colder months it is very hard to play anywhere. Also some of the very nice courses around require a membership which is hard in itself to obtain unless you know someone that is already a member.

What do you do for a living? Work in a Hospital as a Clinical Engineer.

How’d you pick your user name? Just used my First initial we with my last name.

Donald Hura

On 2/11/2019 at 5:27 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Midwest Region

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Hi everybody,

1. I have been playing golf for just under 2 years, I started in April of 2022. I am a 12.5 handicap. 

2. What I love about golf is the community, the opportunity to be in nature, and the ever lasting pursuit to get better. 

3. I have been following mygolfspy for a while however haven’t got involved in the forum until now. 

4. I live in Mason, OH. About 25 minutes North of downtown Cincinnati. My home course is the Grizzly Golf and Social Lodge. 

5. The best thing about Golf in my region is the midwestern community, as well as the summers not getting too hot. The worst thing about golf in my region is the cold weather/shorter season. (Although I play through November and start again in March). 

6. I work in M&A and private equity for a living. I went to Ohio State University and have a bachelors in Finance. 

7. I picked my username because it is my first and last name as well as the jersey # I wore in college football. (#8)

Looking forward to being more involved in the community!

Thanks!

BONUS WITB:

Driver - Stealth 2 plus 9°

3 WOOD - Sim2 Max

IRONS - 4-P and A wedge Taylormade P790s

WEDGES - 54° and 58° Titleist Vokey SM9 wedges

PUTTER - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2

BALL - Titleist ProV1

Edited by ethan8young
BONUS WITB

Ethan Young

5 minutes ago, ethan8young said:

Hi everybody,

1. I have been playing golf for just under 2 years, I started in April of 2022. I am a 12.5 handicap. 

2. What I love about golf is the community, the opportunity to be in nature, and the ever lasting pursuit to get better. 

3. I have been following mygolfspy for a while however haven’t got involved in the forum until now. 

4. I live in Mason, OH. About 25 minutes North of downtown Cincinnati. My home course is the Grizzly Golf and Social Lodge. 

5. The best thing about Golf in my region is the midwestern community, as well as the summers not getting too hot. The worst thing about golf in my region is the cold weather/shorter season. (Although I play through November and start again in March). 

6. I work in M&A and private equity for a living. I went to Ohio State University and have a bachelors in Finance. 

7. I picked my username because it is my first and last name as well as the jersey # I wore in college football. (#8)

Looking forward to being more involved in the community!

Thanks!

Welcome @ethan8young! I am just up the road from you in South Lebanon. I’ve played the Grizzly a few times. It’s a nice layout. Majestic Springs gets most of my tee times. Folks here are pretty friendly, so dive in and have a good time 😁

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-7i:  :titleist-small: T200  Recoil 110 f4

8i-PW: :titleist-small: T150 Recoil 110 f4

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Welcome to the forum @ethan8young and @DHura87! A fellow Ohioan here in the Dayton area. You will love the community and all the information available. Enjoy and welcome again!

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges:  Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png56 Deg, 60 Deg

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Balls: Titleist ProV1

I've been playing casually since I was 16 (~13 years), 3 years ago I decided to fully dive in and play regularly, weekly focused practice, off-season work etc.

An opportunity to be outside, be competitive while also being friendly. The history. The networking. 

Looking for a place to get unbiased, up-to-date news about products. tips/tricks, etc.

Minnesota (South Metro). No home course as I moved out this way only 2 years ago and have been trying to play as many courses in the area as possible.

Best: Beautiful spring/summer golf. Worst: Outdoor season is WAY too short.

Design Engineer for a Telecommunications company

It's just my name.

Driver: 
Fairway Wood: Taylor Made SIM2 3-Wood
4 Hybrid: Taylor Made SIM2 4-Hybrid 
4-PW: Taylor Made P770, Project X 125g 
Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM9, 50°08F, 56°10S
Putter: Ping Anser 2 (2021)

1) I've been playing golf for 8 years, starting when I was introduced to the game around my senior year of college. After playing baseball at the NCAA D2 level, I sought another sport to compete in for my life after baseball, and subsequently fell in love with golf.

2) My handicap hovers around 10.5, reflecting consistent improvement over the years and occasional great rounds.

3) What I love most about golf is the social aspect, enjoying the camaraderie with friends and fellow players, as well as the never-ending pursuit of excellence that keeps me motivated to improve with each round.

4) I'm drawn to MyGolfSpy for its insightful product reviews and the valuable information it provides for golf enthusiasts. Because I'm new to the platform, I haven't yet connected with any other Spies.

5) Originally from the Indianapolis area, my home course is Eagle Creek Golf Club, where I've spent countless hours refining my game.

6) The best thing about golf in my region is the variety of courses available, offering different challenges and experiences. However, unpredictable weather can sometimes be the worst aspect, disrupting and affecting playing conditions.

7) In my professional life, I work in accounting, managing finances and ensuring accuracy in financial reporting for clients.

😎 My username, “Jdavi341”, reflects my lifelong attachment to the number 34, which I've used in various contexts as a symbol of passion and dedication, particularly in sports.

Joseph Davi

• About 7 years, but only seriously the last 2-3. I am a 15 handicap typically shoot in the mid to high 80s. My goal for this year is to move that closer to a 12-13 handicap and start playing in the low to mid-80s more often.

• There isn't a better feeling than hitting that one great shot that keeps you coming back, whether it's a drive past your playing partners ball or an approach shot right by the flag. Besides that, I love getting outdoors and getting the competitive juices flowing.

• I've followed on social media for awhile, and love the equipment reviews, and decided to finally sign up to be a tester!

• Columbus, OH. I don't really have a home course, but play Westchester GC and The Links at Groveport the most.

• I feel like there are a ton of great courses around the Columbus/Central Ohio region, but they seem to ALWAYS be crowded. However, the worst thing about golf in the region is the limited playing season.

• I work in recruiting/talent acquisition.

• When I first started playing, I went through about 5 different shaft/Driver head combos because I kept snapping the shaft where it connects to the clubhead. Of course, this was due to repeatedly hitting the ball off the heel/hosel (and using shafts that were far too light).

My WITB is below, but still considering making the switch from a hybrid to a 7-wood, and would love to hear from you if you've made a similar switch recently!!

Edited by Hosel_Rockets
Minor explanation error

WITB:

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

3 Wood - :cobra-small: LTDx w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - :cobra-small: King Tec 18* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals HY 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons (PW-4 Iron) - :taylormade-small: P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

Wedges (50, 54, 58) - :vokey-small: SM9

Putter - :bettinardi-small: Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

6 hours ago, Hosel_Rockets said:

• About 7 years, but only seriously the last 2-3. I am a 15 handicap typically shoot in the mid to high 80s. My goal for this year is to move that closer to a 12-13 handicap and start playing in the low to mid-80s more often.

• There isn't a better feeling than hitting that one great shot that keeps you coming back, whether it's a drive past your partners ball or an approach shot right by the flag. Besides that, I love getting outdoors and getting the competitive juices flowing.

• I've followed on social media for awhile, and love the equipment reviews, and decided to finally sign up for the equipment reviews.

• Columbus, OH. I don't really have a home course, but play Westchester GC and The Links at Groveport the most.

• I feel like there are a ton of great courses around the Columbus/Central Ohio region, but they seem to ALWAYS be crowded. However, the worst thing about golf in the region is the limited playing season.

• I work in recruiting/talent acquisition.

• When I first started playing, I went through about 5 different shaft/Driver head combos because I kept snapping the shaft where it connects to the clubhead. Of course, this was due to repeatedly hitting the ball off the heel/hosel (and using shafts that were far too light).

My WITB is below, but still considering making the switch from a hybrid to a 7-wood, and would love to hear from you if you've made a similar switch recently!!

Welcome aboard!

I have a 7-wood, but also carry a 3 hybrid that I love. Both have their place and perform different roles for me. A 7 wood is around 21* loft (well, mine is), which is the same as your P790 4 iron and likely similar distance club but with a higher peak height and 7-iron-ish descent angle to make holding greens easier. Easier to hit out of the rough than the 4-iron too. But it's different for everyone.

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- Sik DW C 2.0 35" w. JumboMax JMX Pistol Pro grip

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below]

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

1. How long have I been playing golf?  What is your handicap or normal score

I am 50 and played my first ever round as a sophomore in college.  Had a roommate that played a little and got me hooked.  Lived in AZ for a while and played fairly often.  Played a couple times a week last summer and got a handicap for the first time.  Played at a 12.4.  Mid 80's is normal

2. What do I love about golf?  

For me its several things.  The game is just something that is maddening and yet so satisfying at the same time.  I enjoy the social aspect of golf and obviously being outside is great.  As a golf coach I love to watch and work with players better than myself.  There is so much talent in good players it is fun to watch them.

3. What brings me to golfspy?

Honestly the information on equipment and the testing is what brought me here.  Trying to get better myself and find things that can help my players be more complete as well.

4. Where am I from and what is my home course?

I live in South Range, WI and play at Hidden Greens North by Solon Springs, WI.  

5. Best and worst things about golf in my region?

Best things are the good golf courses near me,  Turtleback, Spooner, Hayward, Big Fish are all just over an hour or less from my house.  Hidden Greens North is a very laid back but very well maintained course.

Worst is the weather by far.  Usually its early May before we can get out on the course with any enjoyable weather.  Usually by mid October the season is over.  Second worst is the mosquitos probably

6. What do I do for a living?

I am a high school teacher and coach.  I am also the Head Men's and Women's Golf Coach at the University of Wisconsin-Superior an NCAA Division 3 school.  We have qualified for the NCAA D3 National Championships 5 of the past 6 seasons with the men's team

7. How did I pick my user name?

Well I had a HS coach that called me Ebee and then another that called me Easy, so I often go by Easy Ebee on many sites

Driver:  Titleist 917

Irons: Titleist AP1

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50,54,60

Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball

I played a bit in high school with no real direction, so you can call me self taught.  Moved around a bit throughout life but picked it back up about 5-7 years ago.  Now I joined a league, play about 6-10 scrambles a year, and then the random times out with the kids!!

The comradery.   Getting out with friends, enjoying the weather, and being able to travel all over and continue to try and improve my game.

I found this site from an Instagram post, and I've always been intrigued with other peoples opinions.  I feel that this is a forum where you get the truth, and there is no sugar coat.  I also LOVE the DIY section and the creativity that comes with it. 

SW Minnesota - Marshall Golf Club

Well, last week I was golfing with my two boys, and now this week they are talking about 10" of snow.  I joke, but we can see all four seasons in 1 day!!

I am a heavy construction equipment salesman.

I try to make light of everything and enjoy the day.  Everyone is improving their game, but I joke on the course that I am the bogey master when I flank a shot.

Driver:   Callaway Paradym X

Fairway Wood:  **Still trying to figure this out**

Irons:  Mizuno JPX921 Forged (4-PW)

Wedges: Vokey SM9 50*, 54*

Putter:   Odyssey White Hot OG Double Wide

Handicap: 22

Location: Southwest Minnesota were we can have 4 seasons in 1 day!!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I picked golf up about 10 years ago before it was “the cool” thing to do. Played that summer but had troubles getting people to come out and play so I quit. Started again around Covid like a lot of people and haven’t stopped since. I’m pretty much a bogey golfer and typically shoot high 80s to low 90s. My best round so far is 83 and my goal for this year is to first lower the amount of 90s I put on the scorecard and also to break 80 

I love how challenging golf is, I’ve been a athlete my entire life and have picked up every sport with ease… and although golf came easy as well, it’s still the most challenged I’ve ever been

I came here from Twitter… Ha! This is my first attempt at being a forum member for anything

I’m from Minnesota, I live in Maple Grove and my home course is pheasant acres

The worst as we all know is how long these winters last, and the false hope that we can predict when we can get out and play again lol. 

Im a mail carrier for the USPS

Its stuck with me for a long time from video game tags 

WITB

Driver: :tour-edge: C721 

Mini driver: :taylormade-small: Sldr

5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Sldr 

4-GW: :tour-edge: C721 irons

54 degree: :taylormade-small: MG2

58 degree: :taylormade-small: Hi toe

Putter: :tour-edge: Wingman

Hey all. New here. Thought I'd introduce myself and my golf game. 

Born in Western, NY now residing in Minneapolis MN,

Public Course Rat - Playing mostly the Minneapolis and St. Paul city courses. Highland 9 is my weeknight jam.

Play pretty much once a week when the course is open. Two times if I have time. Will play in all types of weather. Coldest round I've played in was probably 36F. 

New to MyGolfSpy. Read some articles and enjoyed them, then found the forums.

WITB 2024 Edition
Driver - Ping G425 Max
3Wood - Ping G425
3 Hybrid- Ping G425
4 Hybrid - Ping G425
Irons 5-SW - Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal
Putter - Odyssey Tri Force 3
Ball - Vice Pro
App - GolfShot (Paid Version)

Don't have a real handicap but usually shoot around a 45-50 on 9 and 90-100 on 18.

Been playing on and off since I was about 12 although lots of breaks. This time around it's been about 5 years straight and no end in sight. 

Worst thing is the too long winters. Best thing is how late the sun sets in the summer. Late night games.

Web Developer for a loyalty marketing agency.

Looking forward to some good forum talk 

Usernname = First and last

WITB - 2024 
Dr, 3W, 3Hyb, 4Hyb -Ping G425
Irons - Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal
Putter - Odyssey Tri Force 3

How long have you been playing golf?

- been playing for 7 years or so, serious about it the last 5.
What’s your handicap or normal score?

12 handicap

I am a golf addict. I love walking a course to get exercise and be outside. I enjoy the time with friends and mental break it gives me at the end or middle of a week. I am a data nerd, so all the tech gives me something to dive into off the course. 

- Been a follower for years on social media. Just now diving into the forum game to talk with other fellow addicts. 

- born and raised in metro Detroit. Not a member anywhere but play in a league at Fox Hills in Plymouth. 

- Michigan has some of the best golf in the region and before Covid was super affordable. Worst thing is obviously the winter. Bought a launch monitor this year to combat that. 

- Mortgage Servicing world 

- last name, year graduated, year born 

:ping-small: G400 Max, 9°, hzrdus smoke black

:ping-small: G425 Max 5W, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: G425 4H, Stock Stiff

:taylormade-small: M4 5H, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: i210 5-PW, Blue Dot, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Kushin C

:taylormade-small: TP5x Pix