Jump to content

Recommended Posts

... Played with a guy that wanted to know why I putt with the ball almost at my front foot. I told him I am left eye dominant and he did not know what I was talking about. Do yourself a favor and find out which eye is your dominant eye. If you are left eye dominant, move your ball position closer to your front foot so you will not be looking backwards. You should also experiment with the ball just outside your eye line which may or may not be better for you. If you are right eye dominant, you should have a neutral ball position so you are not looking forward. I had students improve instantly by moving their ball position after finding their dominant eye. You probably already know which eye is dominant by which eye you look thru when using your range finder. If you don't know your dominant eye, the test below will help you find your dominant eye:



https://www.allaboutvision.com/resources/dominant-eye-test.htm

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I did the Evnroll forum testing, we had the pleasure of being fit over the phone by the legendary Guerin Rife.  The very first question he asked me was about eye dominance. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Played with a guy that wanted to know why I putt with the ball almost at my front foot. I told him I am left eye dominant and he did not know what I was talking about. Do yourself a favor and find out which eye is your dominant eye. If you are left eye dominant, move your ball position closer to your front foot so you will not be looking backwards. You should also experiment with the ball just outside your eye line which may or may not be better for you. If you are right eye dominant, you should have a neutral ball position so you are not looking forward. I had students improve instantly by moving their ball position after finding their dominant eye. You probably already know which eye is dominant by which eye you look thru when using your range finder. If you don't know your dominant eye, the test below will help you find your dominant eye:



https://www.allaboutvision.com/resources/dominant-eye-test.htm

I've heard multiple times from several really good putters (Faxon, Nicklaus, etc.) that no good putter they have ever seen had the ball inside their eye line.  Either outside or even with.

Something I've experimented with and found to be very true.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am left eye dominate as well and over the years at times I struggle with alignment. Re positioning and checking eye position usually gets me right back to where I need to be.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good tip.  I use a putting mirror for practice & it works well with the eyeline drill.  I just need to use it more on the actual green instead of at home 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Played with a guy that wanted to know why I putt with the ball almost at my front foot. I told him I am left eye dominant

Yep, same here. First learned this in a lesson several years ago; I try to line the ball up using my big toe (left/forward foot, of course) as a "marker". Feel it helps me get the putter face fully square and facing down the line.

@chisag or anyone else knowledgeable:
If you're right-handed and left-eye dominant, is there a certain style of putter that may .. in general, and for the moment discounting putting stroke type .. be a better fit for me? For example - heel vs center shaft? Face balanced vs toe hang? Alignment line on top vs on the flange? etc.....

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Played with a guy that wanted to know why I putt with the ball almost at my front foot.

I'd bet you're a good putter chisag. But, I'd like to ask how long you've putted the way you do now? Have you always been a good putter? Did making a change employing your dominate eye and ball forward change things for you? Were you a poor putter before making the change? My bet is your putting has always been pretty solid regardless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I'd bet you're a good putter chisag. But, I'd like to ask how long you've putted the way you do now? Have you always been a good putter? Did making a change employing your dominate eye and ball forward change things for you? Were you a poor putter before making the change? My bet is your putting has always been pretty solid regardless.

 

... Putting is one of the strongest parts of my game and I have always naturally been a good putter, but when I first started playing I  missed way too many short putts. I watched a video of Ben Crenshaw and saw he had the ball forward in his stance and used a blade putter. I switched from my Anser putter to an 8802 with the ball more forward and about 2" outside my eye line and I began making my short putts. I had no idea at the time I was left eye dominant and that was the reason my short putting improved. Geometry tells us if you are looking back with your front eye, the line of eye to ball to hole changes. Moving it just in front of my dominant eye made the line easier to read and execute. I really just got lucky because I could have tried to emulate a right eye dominant putter and would have continued to struggle with my short putts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jlukes said:

When I did the Evnroll forum testing, we had the pleasure of being fit over the phone by the legendary Guerin Rife.  The very first question he asked me was about eye dominance. 

Did he give any explanation on what style putter or alignment aid would be beneficial to you based on your eye dominance?

I am left eye dominant and find I do better with alignment if it has a line on the topline of the putter.  So many only have a line behind the topline near the bottom.  Now whether I can get the ball on that line...we will have to try Chisag's tip to see if I can improve on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Yep, same here. First learned this in a lesson several years ago; I try to line the ball up using my big toe (left/forward foot, of course) as a "marker". Feel it helps me get the putter face fully square and facing down the line.

@chisag or anyone else knowledgeable:
If you're right-handed and left-eye dominant, is there a certain style of putter that may .. in general, and for the moment discounting putting stroke type .. be a better fit for me? For example - heel vs center shaft? Face balanced vs toe hang? Alignment line on top vs on the flange? etc.....

Thanks!

 

... Pretty simple really but we tend to make so much about this game complicated. My gut tells me more open-close gate style putters are left eye dominant and right eye dominant putters might be more straight back straight thru. But that is just an educated guess. Putter style with toe hang depends on your type of stroke so open close more toe hang and heel shafted and straight back straight thru more face balanced and typical plumbers neck shafted.

... Alignment aids depends on how you see the line. Do you see it just like hitting an iron or hockey stick with the face perpendicular to the line? Or do you see it more like a pool cue with a line straight back and straight thru your putter? The former usually like no alignment aid, a dot on the top line or a painted line on the flange parallel to the face, and also most prefer to putt without markings on their ball. I think these putters tend to be more feel oriented.  The later usually prefer a line thru the topline or the flange and an alignment aid that mirrors the line on their putter straight thru to the hole. I think these type of putters are more technical in their approach. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

Did he give any explanation on what style putter or alignment aid would be beneficial to you based on your eye dominance?

I am left eye dominant and find I do better with alignment if it has a line on the topline of the putter.  So many only have a line behind the topline near the bottom.  Now whether I can get the ball on that line...we will have to try Chisag's tip to see if I can improve on that.

For him it wasn't about the alignment aid on the putter, it was more about understanding how tall I was, what eye dominance I was, my ball position and amount of forward press to get an understanding of how I setup to the putt and delivered the putter through the ball to ensure he could recommend the correct lie and loft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Putting is one of the strongest parts of my game and I have always naturally been a good putter

Same here chisag. However, I think I'll try your suggestion and just see. I don't have to make any adjustment to my grip or stance so I like that. 

My natural and comfortable stance/address is  - I'm slightly open with the ball just inside my left heel a tad. Interesting discussion. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
... Played with a guy that wanted to know why I putt with the ball almost at my front foot. I told him I am left eye dominant and he did not know what I was talking about. Do yourself a favor and find out which eye is your dominant eye. If you are left eye dominant, move your ball position closer to your front foot so you will not be looking backwards. You should also experiment with the ball just outside your eye line which may or may not be better for you. If you are right eye dominant, you should have a neutral ball position so you are not looking forward. I had students improve instantly by moving their ball position after finding their dominant eye. You probably already know which eye is dominant by which eye you look thru when using your range finder. If you don't know your dominant eye, the test below will help you find your dominant eye:

 

 

 

https://www.allaboutvision.com/resources/dominant-eye-test.htm

Chisag just to clarify, you're saying ball position should be under your dominant eye(?). Based on that, as a lefty and left eye dominant that would mean the ball position is adjacent to my left foot (us lefty's always have to translate stuff). What makes putting more difficult is that I wear progressive lenses which slightly distort the line standing over the ball.

 

Next time I'm out, I'm going to try lining up the ball with my left eye (without my glasses on) then closing my right eye to make the putt.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Chisag just to clarify, you're saying ball position should be under your dominant eye(?). Based on that, as a lefty and left eye dominant that would mean the ball position is adjacent to my left foot (us lefty's always have to translate stuff). What makes putting more difficult is that I wear progressive lenses which slightly distort the line standing over the ball.

 

Next time I'm out, I'm going to try lining up the ball with my left eye (without my glasses on) then closing my right eye to make the putt.

 

... Tony, I actually like to see the ball just a little in front of your dominant eye. So rear eye dominant start in the middle of your stance with weight evenly distributed and front eye dominant closer to your front foot with the weight slightly on your front foot. I like it slightly in front of your dominant eye because you are looking at the ball down the line instead of right on top of it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
. I like it slightly in front of your dominant eye because you are looking at the ball down the line instead of right on top of it. 


Ok that makes sense - I'll give it a try - thx


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I performed both simple eye dominance tests in your link and find I am neutral.  If one eye is more dominant it is too close for me to tell.  Hoping I could find an easy fix to take a couple less putts per round.  Ball will remain in the middle of my stance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...