Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver Shaft for 98 mph swing speed

So currently I've got a Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero in the bag and hit it pretty well. I'm not 1000% sure what my swing speed is exactly, but I'd have to guess high 90's or 100. I usually carry it 220-240 and roll out to 260-270, again I'm not 1000% sure. When I got the club at Golf Galaxy (i was young and naive and get clubs through fittings now) the guy helping me suggested a 55 Evenflow Green Stiff shaft, since I'm 5'5" and 125 lbs and wasn't that strong a year ago. So now my only gripe with the club is I'm not a fan of the high launch I've been getting and the high spin. Is there any favorite brands out there with a lower launch and good weight? I know the obvious answer is to get fitted but I need posts as a recruit. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, NotSoSavage said:

So currently I've got a Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero in the bag and hit it pretty well. I'm not 1000% sure what my swing speed is exactly, but I'd have to guess high 90's or 100. I usually carry it 220-240 and roll out to 260-270, again I'm not 1000% sure. When I got the club at Golf Galaxy (i was young and naive and get clubs through fittings now) the guy helping me suggested a 55 Evenflow Green Stiff shaft, since I'm 5'5" and 125 lbs and wasn't that strong a year ago. So now my only gripe with the club is I'm not a fan of the high launch I've been getting and the high spin. Is there any favorite brands out there with a lower launch and good weight? I know the obvious answer is to get fitted but I need posts as a recruit. 

Thanks.

The flash sub zero is a lower launch lower spin type driver.  Generally people feel that they hit the ball too high,  but most people fall on the low side.   With your estimated swing speed,  you are pretty much in the right ballpark.   depending on launch windows and quality of contact a 100 mph swing will get in the 230ish carry range.    How far do you think your ball should carry?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Without precise numbers and more details from your side, it’s hard to give you a useful recommendation. 

But let let tell you some minor facts about shafts and their capabilities:

They are first and foremost a timing device. If a shaft fits your swing profile, it will help you hit the ball better more often. 

The impact of static loft on launch and spin is higher, than the impact of a shaft in most cases. So using a head, that’s not suited for you and trying to fix it with a shaft might not be a good idea. 

And a quick heads up on another issue: prior to doing anything else, check your impact location. If that’s off, it’s a performance killer for sure. A shaft might help with that, but I would start from the head to shaft and grip in the end. 

Cheers

Michael

17 hours ago, NotSoSavage said:

Thanks.

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

The flash sub zero is a lower launch lower spin type driver.  Generally people feel that they hit the ball too high,  but most people fall on the low side.   With your estimated swing speed,  you are pretty much in the right ballpark.   depending on launch windows and quality of contact a 100 mph swing will get in the 230ish carry range.    How far do you think your ball should carry?

I’m with cnosil here. Based on the information you are around where you should be. 

when was the last time you were fitted? Where was it and what part of the bag was it for? Do you have any of the data from the fitting(s)? 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, Golfmanufaktur said:

Without precise numbers and more details from your side, it’s hard to give you a useful recommendation. 

But let let tell you some minor facts about shafts and their capabilities:

They are first and foremost a timing device. If a shaft fits your swing profile, it will help you hit the ball better more often. 

The impact of static loft on launch and spin is higher, than the impact of a shaft in most cases. So using a head, that’s not suited for you and trying to fix it with a shaft might not be a good idea. 

And a quick heads up on another issue: prior to doing anything else, check your impact location. If that’s off, it’s a performance killer for sure. A shaft might help with that, but I would start from the head to shaft and grip in the end. 

Cheers

Michael

I agree with this whole heartedly.  Timing is going to be a big key to strike on where you hit it on the face and how much spin you generate.  I would think with swing speed in that range that you would be searching for a little more spin and launch to keep the ball in the air a little longer.  SubZ heads usually have the weight in the front of the head to knock off spin and launch.  My thought would be to try to test something with a little more forgiveness that will stay in the air a little longer.  Perhaps you could trade yours or sell yours and find one secondhand that is a better fit.  I think you may see that in the long run you may give up some distance here and there but, if you average it all out and those low low spinners that fall out of the air will bring the average way down than one with the MOI towards the back of the club that will be more consistent.

Driver:  Taylormade '16 9.5* M1 Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH

3 Wood: Cobra F7 14.5 Degree Aldila DVS Fairway 75X

5 Wood: Taylormade R15 17 degree Fujikura Speeder 67 S

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie and 1* strong

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Oddysey White Hot #7 Fang, Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom Mallet, Callaway S2H2

1 hour ago, Sparky14 said:

It's hard to find a low launch shaft under 70 grams. Fortunately, as I am nearing age 60 I'll need that extra launch soon enough.

Just off the top of my head these are low launch under 70g. Fujikura ventus Black 6s and 6x, atmos Black 6s, hzrdus smoke black, smoke green, smoke yellow, evenflow white and black are both a hair under. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 4/17/2020 at 2:31 PM, NotSoSavage said:

Thanks.

I would recommend you tip the shaft about an inch or inch and a half.  At your height 5'5" it would change effective lie angle,  stiffen the tip (lowering the launch angle) and lower your spin.  

The added bonus is with a shorter shaft you will hit the center of the face more often.  Keep in mind many of the pros have there driver cut down to about 44.5".  

That said you should just get Fit!   Now is the time!  Covid 19 is going to drive down prices like crazy.  Get fit now and you could always wait to order it for when the prices fall in a few month.  

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I am the same height as you and also carry the ball about the same range as you (though I am working on increasing my swing speed through the Superspeed program). However, I have the opposite problem as you, I need higher launch and higher spin.

Getting fit is the right thing to do, but I am bad at following my own advise. I am always down for trying out shafts when I find a good deal on Ebay. If you have the equipment itch like me, then try out a shaft that theoretically fits your profile by finding a good deal on ebay. If it doesn't work out, as long as you got a reasonable deal on Ebay, you can re-sell and not lose too much money.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Don't forget to consider your ball choice in this equation. For example, if excess spin is an issue, a ball change could be a simple and inexpensive fix.

Like the others on this thread mention, it's a hugely multi-faceted situation. Best bet is seeing a professional fitter with a launch monitor to accurately identify the cause of any sub-optimal facets of your driving. Without knowing what you're specifically trying to remedy, any equipment change is inefficient guesswork.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 2:31 AM, NotSoSavage said:

Thanks.

Interested to hear what shafts you try, as I am close to your height and weight and SS.  I have a Ping G410, and originally had the stock Alta CB J Red 55 shaft in a SR flex (52g. Stiff Reg).  A friend had some shafts with Ping adapters and let me try one, and it is a Fujikura Evolution Speeder IV 661 in a S flex (67g)    I had never considered a stiff flex and was always worried about feeling too boardy and not getting any kick and didnt think my swing would warrant it.  And was thinking the lightest weight was also better for my size and to get the most SS.  At first, it did take awhile to get used to the stiffer flex and heavier weight, but really started hitting it farther and better dispersion with less big slices.  And eventually was able to feel it loading and releasing, but with a more controlled release.    So, now I am open to trying S flex and a heavier weight (that is heavier for me 65-70g) shafts.  And this got me interested in trying more aftermarket shafts.   Even though my ball striking is inconsistent,  I would say I have a mid-launch when I hit the sweet spot.  

Edited by WEG
typo

Not So Savage are you done growing?   I'm not being a smart ass here.  If you are done growing now is the time to find a shaft that you can use for years and years.  The tech in driver heads is not moving the ball out there more than a yard or two with each new evolution.  Getting fit to the proper shaft could net you 15-25 yards, and while your at it pay the extra to get it pured.  You can get uni-fit adapters from clubconex.com and use that same shaft in all your new drivers.  That way you are not tied in to one brands gear.  Good fitters start by finding the best shaft then swap heads to fit the best package for distance and dispersion.   Top end shafts are not cheap but if you get the uni-fit adapters you can play it until your swing speed makes the slow decline into old age. 

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Eddie 1 said:

I'm 5' 9"   I weigh 230 pounds. I have a club head speed with my driver of 98 miles per hour checked at The PGA Superstore. What is the best shaft for me?

No telling.  Swing speed is one of many data points needed to make a selection.  What sort of tempo do you have, what are currently playing, and how do you want to affect the trajectory of your ball?  What are your launch and spin numbers?

But if you want a shot-in-the-dark recommendation....Tensei CK Pro Blue 60-S

Edited by csamsh

PXG 0811 X/70S Ahina
Cobra F9 Tour/80S Diamana B
Mizuno MP18 FliHi (3) MMC (4-P)/Tensei White X
Maltby M Tour 50&58/KBS 610 125S+
Evnroll ER2.2
Snell MTBX

On 4/17/2020 at 1:31 PM, NotSoSavage said:

Thanks.

What is your AoA (angle of attack)?

What is your launch angle (helps determine spin loft window)?

What is the driver head loft?

What length are you playing your driver at?

Do you play a draw or a fade or both?

The reason I ask this is because High/Mid/Low launch is more of a general blanket statement and marketing. In reality someone with an early release could balloon a "Low Launch Shaft" and vice versa...

There are so many other variables that go into a proper shaft fitting and match. For example at this time I am playing a 10.5 sim with GD XC 6X because I release late and I am playing a power cut. The 10.5 loft when the club face is shut on the cut helps with launch and height. It is very similar to what DJ uses... However each person is different... What have you tested? 

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer