Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Grip technique. Style and weight.

3puttHacker

I'm sure this has been discussed before. But do most players use a style of putter grip by the way the hold their flatstick? I've played with a bunch of guys who use these fat and heavy jumbo grips and it almost doesn't fit their technique and they're not good at putting. I swear if they would just swap their grip to fit their stroke it would make a huge difference. I also don't buy into the "quieting your wrists" fad. What happens on those 30ft putts that are somewhat makeable?

Personally. I hold the putter grip in my fingers so I like a 65g classic Pure standard sized pistol grip with 2-3 layers of tape underneath.

Edited by 3puttHacker

Lots of ways to hold the putter and lots of different grip styles.  Not sure what you mean about the grip not fitting their technique.   Superstroke grips aren't actually that heavy so not sure which grips you are referring too but do agree that they don't necessarily quiet the wrist.  Those grips generally weigh the same or less than your 65g grip.  My guess on the reason they are bad at putting is that they don't practice.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would also guess its more of a lack of practice. I do believe that fatter putter grips, as well as counterbalance, quite down the wrists. Im gaming a SeeMore M7X (blade) with a Superstroke Tour 3.0XL grip with i think 50g counter weight. I gave the factory pistol grip a fair shake, about 10 rounds. My distance control was not as consistent as i would have liked, to many rockets/slugs. I BELIEVE due to wristy putts. It wasnt all the time, just to often. Switched it to the SS with counterweight and my putt per hole average dropped from 2.1 to 1.6. My distance control is fantastic now. Misses are usually a miss read, left with a tap in. I putt with a left hand low grip both before and after i changed the grip. Just my opinion and experience for what its worth. Fun fact, i practice less now with the SS grip, than i did with the pistol grip, and my putting is better. 

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Great topic, as I believe putting is the most uniquely personal part of the game.  The litmus test is "what are your results" and keeping your stats (putts per round, how many three putts per round, etc.) is the only real way to measure the level of success one is having.  I feel like I have tried every conceivable option over time in order to find what produces the best results I'm capable of.  For about the last 10 years I've used a prayer style way of holding the putter, but only recently have I found a particular putter grip that works best for me, it's called the "Two Thumbs" grip and it is produced in the UK.  Matt Wallace uses it on the PGA Tour, it's really wide (there are several width options) and totally flat on top.  In comparison to my historical putts per round I'm killing it with this grip (now averaging 31 putts per round), look it up it's a quite interesting option.              

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

5 hours ago, Bubbly Pop said:

The litmus test is "what are your results" and keeping your stats (putts per round, how many three putts per round, etc.) is the only real way to measure the level of success one is having             

I’d be careful with the metrics you are keeping. The ones you provided may not be great at giving you an indication of you ability.   

putts per round really doesn’t tell you anything by itself.  For example I have a round with 18 putts and a round with 36 putts.  You would think the 18 putt day was better but maybe it isn’t.  On the 18 putt day I missed every green but chipped inside of 3 feet on every hole and made the putt.   On the 36 putt day I hit every green in regulation and 2 putted every hole.  Need to look at putts per GIR  non GIR putts 

three putts while bad will happen if you have lots of first putts outside of 30 feet.  

strokes gained putting is a better metric,  feet of putts made,  make percentages for every distance by foot (the 50/50 line for a pga pro is 8 feet), how many 3 footers do you miss? 

give Lou Stagner a follow on Twitter; he provides lots of good information to help manage expectations.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 6/6/2021 at 3:26 PM, 3puttHacker said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before. But do most players use a style of putter grip by the way the hold their flatstick? I've played with a bunch of guys who use these fat and heavy jumbo grips and it almost doesn't fit their technique and they're not good at putting. I swear if they would just swap their grip to fit their stroke it would make a huge difference. I also don't buy into the "quieting your wrists" fad. What happens on those 30ft putts that are somewhat makeable?

Personally. I hold the putter grip in my fingers so I like a 65g classic Pure standard sized pistol grip with 2-3 layers of tape underneath.

I've heard Scotty Cameron, Guerin Rife (Evnroll), and David Edel talk about how the grip matters...and that most of the time a blade putter works best with a regular sized pistol grip, while your mallet putters typically get the fatter grips.  All 3 of those guys have several videos on their respective websites for you to go check out.  Edel even designed the grips he putts on his putters.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got the Wilson Buckingham Infinite putter. It is pretty heavy so I focus on having a smooth, controlled stroke. Been putting the best in my life since I dialed it in. I use a "claw" grip with my right index/middle fingers on top of the flat part with my ring finger down the side. My thumb is on the back side. This gives seems to keep the face square more often. Have shot career rounds this month with it. 

TaylorMade M6 10.5 (Sleeve @ 9.0) - PX HZRDUS Evenflow Black 75 (6.5) (Tipped 1in)

TaylorMade Stealth Plus Rescue 2-17 - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX HY (6.5) (Tipped addl. .5in + .25in short)

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue 4-22 (Sleeve @ 20.5) - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX HY (6.5) (Tipped addl. .5in + .25in short)

2021 Callaway Apex Pro (4-PW) - DG X100

Sub70 286 Forged 50*-10 / 54*-12 (Black) - DG S400

Sub70 JB Forged 58*-06 (Black) - DG X100

Wilson Buckingham Infinite Putter - SuperStroke Traxion Claw (Cut to 33.5in)

Primary Ball: Rotation (Snell MTB-X, 2019 Left Dash, 2021 Pro-V1)

Wilson Staff Tour Bag

BagBoy Nitron Push Cart

It makes sense that putter grips fit how you opt to hold the putter, which is why I've had such a long road to find the perfect grip for myself.   I use a prayer grip, such a wider grip on the putter really helps make room for both hands being in essence in the same place on opposite sides of the grip.  Watched Matt Wallace a few months back (PGA player) and he grips the putter the same way.  I could read his grip and it said "Two Thumb" on it, so I Googled the name and it turns out they are made by a UK company.  They come in a couple of different widths from very wide (45 millimeters) to a bit less wide (32 millimeters).  I ordered the "Original" width (the widest) for $32 (plus about $60 shipping from the UK) and I've been playing it for 3 weeks.  What a difference, especially in my short putts where I often have had a pull problem.  Look it up if you prefer wider grips, it was worth it for me.     

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 7:46 AM, cnosil said:

I’d be careful with the metrics you are keeping. The ones you provided may not be great at giving you an indication of you ability.   

putts per round really doesn’t tell you anything by itself.  For example I have a round with 18 putts and a round with 36 putts.  You would think the 18 putt day was better but maybe it isn’t.  On the 18 putt day I missed every green but chipped inside of 3 feet on every hole and made the putt.   On the 36 putt day I hit every green in regulation and 2 putted every hole.  Need to look at putts per GIR  non GIR putts 

three putts while bad will happen if you have lots of first putts outside of 30 feet.  

strokes gained putting is a better metric,  feet of putts made,  make percentages for every distance by foot (the 50/50 line for a pga pro is 8 feet), how many 3 footers do you miss? 

give Lou Stagner a follow on Twitter; he provides lots of good information to help manage expectations.  

I'd agree that strokes gained is a much better metric, but it's also a lot harder to track.  You need to record the distance of each putt and then input it into some software to calculate the strokes gained.

If you have Arccos then obviously it's done for you but to manually track it is a lot of effort.

I'm a Stan Utley method putter and I feel pretty comfortable using Studio Design skinny type grips.  My gamer is a 330g putter so this type of grip works well for me as it allows me to feel the putter head releasing at impact.

Driver:  TM SIM2 Max

Woods:  3/5 TM SIM2 Max

Hybrid:  22 PXG

Irons:  5-PW 0311XF PXG

Wedges: 50/54/58 Vokey SM8 Black 

Putter:  Custom SC 009 35/330g