Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Advice for my son who is new to golf

Hi, folks. I am new to these forums. I have lurked on and off for a couple of weeks and this seems like a respectful and knowledgeable community. I decided to join for my son, who is new to golf. He took his first lessons this summer and just loves the game. He is taking more lessons this fall. Right now, I am renting some inexpensive youth clubs but would really like to get him a set that he can learn with and use for the next 2-3 years. I am a believer that having quality equipment (not necessarily expensive) makes learning more enjoyable so I want to out together a set of clubs that are forgiving, of good quality, and will be enjoyable to play with. That is why I posting here.

I have some questions to unpack, so please bear with me.

We live in Virginia and he is taking lessons through a group called First Tee. So, I guess I’d be interested in hearing thoughts on them. It’s a group lesson atmosphere and affordable. He’s taking lessons through them again this fall, but am open to other options in the future.

A little about my son. He is 12 years old and is 5’ 2” and golfs RH. So, yeah, he’s growing! His wrist to floor distance is 32 inches (with shoes on).

As for clubs, I have read different blogs and what not and debated between youth sets or used adult clubs and I am definitely leaning toward used adult clubs. Ping seems to have older clubs that a lot of folks like as beginner clubs. It’s a brand I am familiar with and have always liked. That being said I am not necessarily tied to Ping and am willing to look at other options. I did enter his measurements on the Ping website and they recommend black dot and -1” length. 

I have read different opinions on whether kids/teens need to be fitted for clubs. Is this something that is helpful? I’d like to hear your opinions.

What clubs should he have in his bag? I was thinking 5-PW, a 56-58* gap wedge, driver, hybrid, putter. 

And the million dollar question… what clubs do you recommend I seek out? My budget is $250-300.

I appreciate any advice! 

First tee is great because it’s a group setting and what it teaches in general about golf and life. If he’s looking to be more serious then find an instructor who teaches kids.

As for clubs every golfer should be fit. He’s at an age where getting fit is beneficial as he would be starting to get away from the junior sets and into regular clubs. Look at the serious golfers who are preteens and early teens, pretty much all good ones are playing fitted clubs.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Welcome!!!!

First tee is awesome - I coach a Middle School Golf team and I encourage my kids to be involved in the First Tee summer program.  In regards to further lessons it just depends upon how serious he wants to be.  If he's really getting into it to the point that he would want to play in High School I would find a good instructor ASAP.  Understand that he is going to go through sets pretty quickly because he will grow.  If you're not going to go the fitting route yet I would highly recommend a nice used women's set for him - 

Best wishes and it's great that he's taking up a game that might be played for life.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Welcome!

At 5'2", he may still be in junior sets, such as US Kids, which are often highly recommended. Going for a fitting at this stage is probably overkill given how quickly he'll grow. My son went through 3 sets in 4 years due to growth spurts around that age. Whatever you do, do NOT get adult clubs and cut them down. 

Your best bet is to ask one of his instructors. When my son was in PGA Jr, the head pro there was very helpful in giving me feedback on clubs and what to do with my son as he grew. Good luck!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I really appreciate everyone’s opinions. This process is a little overwhelming with so many differing opinions. I talked to one golfer who was adamant that he should learn using players irons rather than GI or SGI irons. His thought was kids are not going to be that good hitting irons regardless and the players irons are going to develop his feel better - so he’ll know the feel when he hits a poor shot vs a good strike. Others say GI or SGI irons are the way to go because you want more forgiveness with newbees. Am I overthinking this? Or does it just depend on the golfer like everything else in life? Haha.

Having gone through this already I can tell you what I did. I started them off at the age of 5 with US Kids equipment. Once they got in the 9 to 12 year range I got the Top Flight Jr. sets. This can last a little longer or less depending on your sons height / wrist to floor measurement and body type. You get a stand bag with a driver, hybrid, 7, 9, sand wedge and a putter.  Currently the set is $140.00 at DSG. 

In my opinion you want a forgiving set that will help get the ball in the air and not have him struggle and give up. 

If you son is tall or strong enough then you can look at a used women's set, Cobra made a few sets that weren't the "pink type". I think right around the age of 14 my son was in a full men's set.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, ColonialDawg said:

I really appreciate everyone’s opinions. This process is a little overwhelming with so many differing opinions. I talked to one golfer who was adamant that he should learn using players irons rather than GI or SGI irons. His thought was kids are not going to be that good hitting irons regardless and the players irons are going to develop his feel better - so he’ll know the feel when he hits a poor shot vs a good strike. Others say GI or SGI irons are the way to go because you want more forgiveness with newbees. Am I overthinking this? Or does it just depend on the golfer like everything else in life? Haha.

I agree with Rustopherb and Tom. The only insight i have is to players irons. While they will give more feedback etc, kids dont like frustration. I would go GI or cavity back, probably not SGI. Most kids people who give golf a fair go at it, out grow those super quick. There is plenty of feed back on most GI in the last 5-6 years in my experience. Have him foot powder spray the faces when hes hitting and hill learn quick enough what different mistakes feel like. 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

I’ll just share what my sons pro recommended - get the set of clubs they want to play and is the most forgiving and fun. Do whatever you can to make them enjoy the game and want to play more. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, ColonialDawg said:

I hope you disregarded this opinion as quickly as he could spit it out. I could probably find 10 kids without even looking that hit the ball better than me and I get it around ok.

Start with what he is comfortable hitting and work from there. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

14 hours ago, ColonialDawg said:

That’s an old school and dunked myth, that learning to play with players irons will make a player a better ball striker. 

Having a set that makes it easier for him to hit the ball well will make him a better player because he’s more likely to want to play and practice. 

I would keep it simple for now - 

Do you play also?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think the US kids set is a good suggestion. At 5'2" he can look at their 63" set, which could maybe cover another 2 inches of growth.

The 63" has 2 versions: the UltraLight Series for beginner/intermediate and the Tour Series for more athletic advanced players. If fitting is not an option, this might be a good option off the rack and it fits your budget.

My daughter is on her 5th set (from 39" to 51") and she is about to turn 7... hard hit on the wallet, but hey... anything for the kids, right?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

What I did when my son started, and would do the same if I was starting over, is start cheap and ease into things. At 5’2 he will be fine for at least another year or two in junior clubs. I’d go with a full Wilson Junior set and get him into the first tee. Then upgrade equipment in a year or so if he enjoys the game.

There is not much of a market for used Junior equipment. So I wouldn’t expect to recover much if he decides the game isn’t for him at this point in his life. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

For your son's sake, stay away from game improvement irons at this early age. It's about him having fun, enjoying the game and learning the fundamentals. If he continues to progress, the game improvement irons may be good down the road.

Good Luck to your son!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x