2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions

Splatt

Well, the 2023 golf season has officially kicked off with the Sentry TOC at the beautiful Kapalua Golf Plantation Course.

Who do you think takes home the W?

Will the scoring get as low as Cam Smith's win last year?

Will Billy Horschel snap a club or put some fresh dents in his bag?

Only time will tell, but I'm pumped to have golf back 😄

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Hybrid - :cobra-small: RadSpeed 3 Hyrbid
Irons - :vice: VGI02 5I to SW - 2024 MGS test
Wedges -  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  :L.A.B.: - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

8 minutes ago, 2puttbogey said:

Weather is Houston be good and wind is going to be calm all weekend so scores are going to be low again. I’m going Rahm he seems to have this course figured out. Score of -32.

Rahm has started off strong and didn't look like missing anything.

Hopefully he keeps it up

I only saw the PGA tour highlights but looked like morikawa is in fine form. Hope he has a bounce back season.

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

I am curious to see how Zalatoris' back holds up. After a 4 month layoff I was wondering how much rust would be there, but sitting at -4 I'd say he's in pretty solid playing form. Hoping for a healthy season for him, I really enjoy watching him play.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

24 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I am curious to see how Zalatoris' back holds up. After a 4 month layoff I was wondering how much rust would be there, but sitting at -4 I'd say he's in pretty solid playing form. Hoping for a healthy season for him, I really enjoy watching him play.

Swing and club setup changes so the question will also be how do those changes impact his play.  

https://golf.com/news/will-zalatoris-body/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm sorry, but my morals prohibit me from watching a limited field, no cut event where OGWR points are awarded!😜

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

1 hour ago, Headhammer said:

I'm sorry, but my morals prohibit me from watching a limited field, no cut event where OGWR points are awarded!😜

Especially when the defending champion of the Sentry Tournament of Champions, Players champion, and Champion Golfer of the Year is not part of the field!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

23 hours ago, Splatt said:

Well, the 2023 golf season has officially kicked off with the Sentry TOC at the beautiful Kapalua Golf Plantation Course.

Who do you think takes home the W?

Will the scoring get as low as Cam Smith's win last year?

Will Billy Horschel snap a club or put some fresh dents in his bag?

Only time will tell, but I'm pumped to have golf back 😄

I am going with Scheffler to win at -26.

I have not seen or heard mention of cry baby Horschel. So glad he has not made the TV.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Man I would love it to be the Year Of Morikawa dominance! 

Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

29 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

and the best putter this week will win.. 

I'd say that the winner will be the best putter among the top 5 ballstrikers for the week.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

All of these players are great ball strikers, and great putters for that matter, great chippers, great bunker players etc etc. Since shot link has been implemented as statistics usually, with the odd exception, it is the putting statistic that sticks out for me. A friend of mine, Ray Stewart, who played on the PGA tour for many years once said to me, “we might as well all throw the balls on the green, whoever putts best that week wins”. 

committed to performance excellence

Did anyone else watch the NLU match with JT and Spieth? May have been the best hour and half of golfing tv I have seen in ages. 

I mention it here because it was at the venue and was a great way to see the course prior to the event and offered some cool course knowledge. 

T150 6-9 Iron                                

now we are into the final round at kapaluha another takeaway for me is most of the best players in the world are hitting fades off the tee, something for me to work on this winter, power fades... like my dad used to say "you can talk to a fade, you can't talk to a hook"

Hard to watch Morikawa’s wheels fall off after 67 bogey free holes, but congrats to Rahm for posting a clutch -10 on Sunday for the win. That’s what champions do…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

The question I have is why? Why is it so hard to win any tournament… it is easy for our armchair quarterbacks to go through the collapse but the secret sauce is “why” why did he collapse and what can we learn from it, because believe me, in tournament play we find ourselves in those exact positions. 

It's a darn shame that NBC, in their infinite wisdom, showed only half of the last round on regular TV.  I know they own ESPN, but if your going to televise only half of the play, they may as well have not shown any of it and just kept it on the other channel. Everybody does not have cable or the extra pay for channels. 😠

Total Callaway bag - except putter

Did watch any  of it, just had to go off scores online and such however NLU had a good recap pod talking about parts of it and with TC not on it they didn't run down the leaderboard which was kinda nice... I think. 

Good way to kick off the year and sorry to see Morikawa blow it after a stellar 67 holes. I think it makes the rest of his season a little more interesting and congrats to Rahm who I really enjoy watching. 

T150 6-9 Iron                                

7 hours ago, ballhawk said:

It's a darn shame that NBC, in their infinite wisdom, showed only half of the last round on regular TV.  I know they own ESPN, but if you’re going to televise only half of the play, they may as well have not shown any of it and just kept it on the other channel. Everybody does not have cable or the extra pay for channels. 😠

Simple, to induce you to subscribe to Golf Channel. And it’s not just NBC. NBC splits content with Peacock. CBS splits content with Paramount+. Discovery splits content with Discovery+. That’s the trend…you get what you pay for, networks are a business, not a public service.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

On 1/9/2023 at 4:40 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Did watch any  of it, just had to go off scores online and such however NLU had a good recap pod talking about parts of it and with TC not on it they didn't run down the leaderboard which was kinda nice... I think. 

Good way to kick off the year and sorry to see Morikawa blow it after a stellar 67 holes. I think it makes the rest of his season a little more interesting and congrats to Rahm who I really enjoy watching. 

I think this will end up being the best thing that's happened for Morikawa and his growth as a golfer.

Might be a bit of a reality check; yes, you've already won 2 majors, but golf is still golf.

Bring on the rest of the season.

20 minutes ago, Splatt said:

I think this will end up being the best thing that's happened for Morikawa and his growth as a golfer.

Might be a bit of a reality check; yes, you've already won 2 majors, but golf is still golf.

Bring on the rest of the season.

You would think so, except he's done it before.  Morikawa had a 5 shot lead at the 2021 Hero World Challenge, shot 76 on Sunday and finished T-5.  He's going to be looking over his shoulder every time he gets in this position again.  It's going to be a demon on his back until he finally wins with a big lead.  

Playing with a big lead is tough on the PGA Tour; Scheffler lost the Tour Championship leading by 6 shots.  Tiger was probably the best at it because he hated making bogeys so much that he had just as much focus throughout the final round as he would if others were right on his tail.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

You would think so, except he's done it before.  Morikawa had a 5 shot lead at the 2021 Hero World Challenge, shot 76 on Sunday and finished T-5.  He's going to be looking over his shoulder every time he gets in this position again.  It's going to be a demon on his back until he finally wins with a big lead.  

Playing with a big lead is tough on the PGA Tour; Scheffler lost the Tour Championship leading by 6 shots.  Tiger was probably the best at it because he hated making bogeys so much that he had just as much focus throughout the final round as he would if others were right on his tail.

True. A bit of complacency maybe? Easier to continue playing aggressive golf when it's still any bodies tournement.

15 hours ago, Splatt said:

True. A bit of complacency maybe? Easier to continue playing aggressive golf when it's still any bodies tournement.

I'll say this.  These are the moments that define a pro golfer.  I guarantee that the next time Morikawa hits the back nine with a several stroke lead... his mind will absolutely go to this tournament.  Just like his mind probably went to the collapse in '21 on this past Sunday.  And just the fact that his mind goes there... will make it anyone's tournament at that point.   Those mental demons are hard to remove.  Golf is a cruel sport sometimes.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

On 1/8/2023 at 1:06 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Did anyone else watch the NLU match with JT and Spieth? May have been the best hour and half of golfing tv I have seen in ages. 

I mention it here because it was at the venue and was a great way to see the course prior to the event and offered some cool course knowledge. 

Just finished watching the NLU match. What an entertaining 90 minutes of golf. So good!

When they're talking about how much to fade a shot, not just fade or not, but degree's of fade. That blew my mind