Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How can I re-secure a copper face insert on a Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ?

I just received a used Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ beauty off of Ebay.  Good seller, they didn't know there was an issue.  The Copper face insert is loose on the toe and heel side, and affects feel if you're not hitting the center.  Got a great deal, knew it wasn't perfect, but can't really play it as is.  This will be a back-up / collector, so I don't want to invest too much.

Any suggestions on safely removing and re-securing?  I see a lot of videos on doing odyssey soft inserts (I.e. boil to remove) but nothing on metal.  Thanks!

cleveland 2 brz face.jpeg

I ran into something similar with a Ping putter where the insert became loose. My plan was to pry it off, clean it up, then epoxy it back on. When I tried to pry it off the sections that were glued down were stuck tight, was worried I would break the insert if I went any further. Ended up carefully spreading some epoxy into the end sections that were loose and clamped it tight while it cured. That was two years ago and no issue since.

17 hours ago, AzRoger said:

I ran into something similar with a Ping putter where the insert became loose. My plan was to pry it off, clean it up, then epoxy it back on. When I tried to pry it off the sections that were glued down were stuck tight, was worried I would break the insert if I went any further. Ended up carefully spreading some epoxy into the end sections that were loose and clamped it tight while it cured. That was two years ago and no issue since.

Thanks I was thinking of boiling or using a heat gun to see if I can get it off.  Bending it was my big worry too.  I actually reached out to Cleveland to see if they have any ideas.

It's promising that adding epoxy in place worked for you.

1 hour ago, SHUjames said:

Thanks I was thinking of boiling or using a heat gun to see if I can get it off.  Bending it was my big worry too.  I actually reached out to Cleveland to see if they have any ideas.

It's promising that adding epoxy in place worked for you.

Heat would probably work for you since you have a metal insert, not sure what material the Ping insert is, looks like some kind of rubber/plastic. I tried a little heat but it didn't help, I was afraid if I applied too much it might damage the insert, so I stopped.