Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Mevo Plus: 2 Iron Launch Angle

I recently got a Mevo+ and have set it up in the garage. I have 20 feet of space, and it is setup with 8 feet from unit to ball with 12 feet of ball flight. I'm using Titleist RCT balls, and everything seems really spot on accurate except for driver and my 2 iron. The driver I expect there to be issues, I've never been able to swing a driver indoors all that well anyway. I have a Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 2 iron and when I hit it the Mevo is reading the launch angle pretty low which is causing the carry distance to be really low. I can tell they are good strikes, and the ball speed is between 138 and 142, but the launch angle is reading at like 6 degrees or less which is causing the carry numbers to be crazy low. I'm trying to dial in carry distances before the season starts, and this is the only club in the bag that is giving me fits. 

Is there a setup change to the Mevo that might help? Changing the tilt angle from 12 to 11? 

Do I just need more ball flight? I could probably squeeze a couple more feet of ball flight out of the space, but it would be a real pain in the rear. 

Or maybe it is completely accurate, and the distance I saw from this club last season was a lot of roll out. 

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

2 minutes ago, Weekend_Warrior said:

I recently got a Mevo+ and have set it up in the garage. I have 20 feet of space, and it is setup with 8 feet from unit to ball with 12 feet of ball flight. I'm using Titleist RCT balls, and everything seems really spot on accurate except for driver and my 2 iron. The driver I expect there to be issues, I've never been able to swing a driver indoors all that well anyway. I have a Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 2 iron and when I hit it the Mevo is reading the launch angle pretty low which is causing the carry distance to be really low. I can tell they are good strikes, and the ball speed is between 138 and 142, but the launch angle is reading at like 6 degrees or less which is causing the carry numbers to be crazy low. I'm trying to dial in carry distances before the season starts, and this is the only club in the bag that is giving me fits. 

Is there a setup change to the Mevo that might help? Changing the tilt angle from 12 to 11? 

Do I just need more ball flight? I could probably squeeze a couple more feet of ball flight out of the space, but it would be a real pain in the rear. 

Or maybe it is completely accurate, and the distance I saw from this club last season was a lot of roll out. 

PGA Tour Launch Angles https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

Look like a PGA Tour average for 3 iron launch angle is 10.4 degrees.  I would imagine average static loft on a 3 iron on tour is around 20*.

I believe the Mizuno 2 iron you have is 16.5 degrees.

So a launch in the middle to high single digits doesn't seem too crazy, especially if you are getting the handle forward and delivering less than than 16.5 degrees of loft.

1 hour ago, Weekend_Warrior said:

I have nearly the identical setup for my Mevo+ in my garage. I will say that, for me, once the ball speed starts to exceed 140 MPH I do occasionally get misreads, though mine tend to err on the side of way too much launch versus not enough. This is using the RCT balls as well.

I would not deviate from the 12 degrees of tilt as FlightScope is very particular about that. Do you have hitting platform height set correctly in the software?

Additionally, here is spreadsheet that can help you determine actual launch angle if you are able to measure where you are hitting the ball into your net accurately: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-IT2a77noYhEnYReGM9IJNO9AMGfNH9yx9LjUWGHxMU/edit#gid=0

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

@Golfspy_Lukes That trackman chart is interesting, I hadn't seen that one. I imagine that I do have some shaft lean, but I can't imagine that I'm turning 16.5 into 5-7. I'll have to check it outdoors in a few weeks when it warms up and see how it looks outside. Also, it is mostly a tee club so I guess I should check the numbers from a tee. 

@edingc I thought I had the platform height set correctly. I'll have to play around with that and see how it affects it. Maybe I'll figure out a way to measure where it is hitting the net and use that spreadsheet to check the accuracy of the monitor's launch angle reading.

It does only seem to be the top end of the bag with higher ball speeds that cause issues. Even though it will be a real pain, I might try and add 2 or 3 more feet of ball flight. 

4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225

20 minutes ago, Weekend_Warrior said:

@Golfspy_Lukes That trackman chart is interesting, I hadn't seen that one. I imagine that I do have some shaft lean, but I can't imagine that I'm turning 16.5 into 5-7. I'll have to check it outdoors in a few weeks when it warms up and see how it looks outside. Also, it is mostly a tee club so I guess I should check the numbers from a tee. 

It does only seem to be the top end of the bag with higher ball speeds that cause issues. Even though it will be a real pain, I might try and add 2 or 3 more feet of ball flight. 

I don't think he was suggesting that you delofted the club to 5-7 degrees but that you delofted the club in general and that based on PGA launch numbers you might be launching that low.   

Prior to adjusting the Mevo to get numbers you think might be right I would try and get a session on a Trackman or GC Quad and compare or actually measure the launch you are getting based on google doc that was posted.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

I don't think he was suggesting that you delofted the club to 5-7 degrees but that you delofted the club in general and that based on PGA launch numbers you might be launching that low.   

Prior to adjusting the Mevo to get numbers you think might be right I would try and get a session on a Trackman or GC Quad and compare or actually measure the launch you are getting based on google doc that was posted.  

I guess I didn't really mean delofted the club to that extent, but I get what you're saying. I go in once a year to have the loft and lie checked on my clubs, and they have a GC Quad; good idea to just check it on that. 

4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 6:35 AM, Weekend_Warrior said:

@edingc I thought I had the platform height set correctly. I'll have to play around with that and see how it affects it. Maybe I'll figure out a way to measure where it is hitting the net and use that spreadsheet to check the accuracy of the monitor's launch angle reading.

" 2 or 3 more feet" Correct, right? I think it must be more.