Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Best Distance Golf Ball

jlopes

What is the best pure distance golf ball for someone with a swing speed around 100? And the best distance golf ball with a little spin for around the greens?

Ping G430 LST - Driver

Taylormade SIM 2 - 3 Wood

Tour Edge E722 - 3 Hybrid

Ping i230 - 4-UW

Ping Glide 4.0 - 54, 58

Seemore Nashville ONE SS

it's called a polara and is illegal for play but could be fun...

https://www.polaragolf.com/products/ultimate-straight

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I swing at around 107 with the driver and I think the Titleist AVX is the longest ball I've hit. Of course it is all low spin so won't help much around the greens. For the second part of your question I would recommend the Left Dash ProV1 or TP5x.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Your own swing dynamics will come in to play a little bit, but typically speaking Titleist is going to be top of the list with a lot of their balls. We're also learning that higher compression means farther not always 100% the case but if the strong correlation, here's a link to the compression test data.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/golfspy.t/viz/MyGolfSpyBallLabCompressionComparisonTool/COMPRESSIONCHART

Also, here's a link to golf ball testing as well:

https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-balls/most-wanted-golf-ball/

Untitled design-3.png

On 4/25/2023 at 2:18 PM, jlopes said:

What is the best pure distance golf ball for someone with a swing speed around 100? And the best distance golf ball with a little spin for around the greens?

Best distance ball for the 14 or so times you hit the driver a round or best distance ball for the iron shots, the answer wont be the same. The 2021 robot ball testing done by the folks here at MGS was an eye opener for me because the couple of yards I was gaining with a PROV1X off the tee 14 times a round were costing me about 7 yards per every iron shot based on an 8 iron for slow swing speed player. I did look up middle swing speed player and the same Bridgestone RXS and RX were still 1 and 2 in irons. Dig around on the Mygolfspy website and find the 2021 robot ball testing , scroll down to the middle swing speed chart and make sure to use the drop down windows to change which clubs/balls/parameters are selected to get the full picture.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

5 hours ago, Fred Mitchell said:

Best distance ball for the 14 or so times you hit the driver a round or best distance ball for the iron shots, the answer wont be the same. The 2021 robot ball testing done by the folks here at MGS was an eye opener for me because the couple of yards I was gaining with a PROV1X off the tee 14 times a round were costing me about 7 yards per every iron shot based on an 8 iron for slow swing speed player. I did look up middle swing speed player and the same Bridgestone RXS and RX were still 1 and 2 in irons. Dig around on the Mygolfspy website and find the 2021 robot ball testing , scroll down to the middle swing speed chart and make sure to use the drop down windows to change which clubs/balls/parameters are selected to get the full picture.

This is an important point, but don't forget that most low/mid swing speeds need more spin. And the way that many of these balls are adding length off the irons is by reducing spin. So yes, you may hit it further, but you need to make sure you have enough stopping power to hold the green.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 hour ago, GregGarner said:

This is an important point, but don't forget that most low/mid swing speeds need more spin. And the way that many of these balls are adding length off the irons is by reducing spin. So yes, you may hit it further, but you need to make sure you have enough stopping power to hold the green.

The same 2 balls were on top for the 100 or 105 swing speed middle swing speed irons, cant remember exact speed. The premise is not the spin but that with a driver even slower swing speeds can compress a higher compression ball like the V1X and get distance but with a short iron the swing speed is too low to compress a high compression ball and distance suffers.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

On 4/28/2023 at 4:42 PM, Fred Mitchell said:

The same 2 balls were on top for the 100 or 105 swing speed middle swing speed irons, cant remember exact speed. The premise is not the spin but that with a driver even slower swing speeds can compress a higher compression ball like the V1X and get distance but with a short iron the swing speed is too low to compress a high compression ball and distance suffers.

It's mostly due to the longest balls having 1000 rpm less spin with irons. The ball data has a bunch of balls at 5300-5500 rpm as longest. The shortest? The pinnacle range at 7000 rpm which is the most in the test. The rest of the bottom o the chart is a lot of balls at 6300-6700 rpm. Ball speed is all around 107-108 for mid speed, so very similar amount of energy going into the golf ball. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I find AVX are in this category.

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
TSR2 15° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
2 Iron T200 Utility and MCC +4, 
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick

As linked above,  take a look at the mgs ball test and see some great robot numbers. But since i like provide general answers if you want:

driver w/lower spin: Prov1 left Dash, OnCore X2

driver w/ average spin: Bridgestone BX

Driver w/ more spin: Srixon Z Star Diamond, Callaway CSX LS

really no way to give you an exact answer, just some options to look into.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Did someone mention Velocity?  Sorry, my ears started burning 😜. While playing in Montana, I frequently played solo rounds and put 2 balls in play.  Often something was going up against a Velocity and, with the exception of the Maxfli Tour, AVX, ChromeSoft, and PV1, it performed equally well in all aspects and better in distance (though we're only talking a handful of yards).  If there is a definitive study on what USGA conforming ball is truly the longest off the tee for slow, mid, and high speed swings, I'd love to see it.  I'd also like to see that same data repeated between robot and human.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I recently switched to the Bridgestone Tour B XS from a TP5. I liked the feel of the TP5 but I found it spun up a bit to much for me on my drives. I swing on average around 101mph. The Bridgestone ball helps with my drives and has the same if not more feel and spin around the greens. It took me a little to get used to off the putter it’s very nice but definitely a noticeable difference from the TP5. Overall I’m super happy with my change I took back that distance that I was losing off the Tee and have great performance around the green. 

With the price of the Bridgestone balls being a couple bucks cheaper then other companies it’s an easy choice for me

K Walker

• 9 months later...

Best value distance ball: Titleist Velocity

Best premium distance ball: ProV1x

Drivers: TaylorMade r7 SuperQuad 10.5 degree w/ Ventus blue regular shaft and Titleist TSR3 9 degree w/ Kuro Kage regular shaft

Fairway woods: Taylormade Burner 15 w/ regular shaft. Titleist TS2 18 w/ Kuro Kage regular shaft

Irons: Ping G425 irons 5-PW w/ Alta CB shafts

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 921 gap 51 steel. Ping Glide 56 steel. Titleist Vokey SM-07 60 steel 

Grips: Golf Pride MCC midsize plus 4 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura midsize

Balls: Titleist Pro V1 and Titleist Velocity

• 3 weeks later...