Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Flatten out driver swing

So I have a 110+ mph swing speed but my attack angle is very steep and I put roughly 7000 RPM backspin with a driver. (I know that sounds crazy the guy at Dicks had me try both their TrackMan swing bays because he thought the first one was broken). He estimated I’m losing 30-50 yards due to the height and lack of roll.

So my question is what have you all tried and succeeded with to flatten out the driver swing. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

7000 is insane. Truly, that's more than some wedges. 

Being steep will be part, but where were you making contact? Heel and low strikes also cause a jump in spin. As well as a cutting across the Ball.

Best thing truly would be a lesson. I'm sure there are YouTube videos to help and get you at least started. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

13 minutes ago, Brian A said:

So I have a 110+ mph swing speed but my attack angle is very steep and I put roughly 7000 RPM backspin with a driver. (I know that sounds crazy the guy at Dicks had me try both their TrackMan swing bays because he thought the first one was broken). He estimated I’m losing 30-50 yards due to the height and lack of roll.

So my question is what have you all tried and succeeded with to flatten out the driver swing. 

Do you have the swing numbers from the trackman?  Would be interesting to see the actual AoA, loft at impact, where you are striking the ball, etc.   a DTL and face on video of your swing would also help those who could provide swing advice,   really need to identify why the swing is so steep to be able to give you recommendations on what to change.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Do you have the swing numbers from the trackman?  Would be interesting to see the actual AoA, loft at impact, where you are striking the ball, etc.   a DTL and face on video of your swing would also help those who could provide swing advice,   really need to identify why the swing is so steep to be able to give you recommendations on what to change.   

I do not have all of them, I just remember the 7k and AoA was steep. If I have time I can go hit again and try to get them 

23 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

7000 is insane. Truly, that's more than done wedges. 

Being steep will be part, but where were you making contact? Heel and low strikes also cause a jump in spin. As well as a cutting across the Ball.

Best thing truly would be a lesson. I'm sure there are YouTube videos to help and get you at least started. 

Usually lower in the face is where the impact mark is. 

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

5 minutes ago, Brian A said:

I do not have all of them, I just remember the 7k and AoA was steep. If I have time I can go hit again and try to get them 

Usually lower in the face is where the impact mark is. 

Steep doesn’t tell us much. Are you 3 degrees steep or 10 degrees steep? Are you out to in and steep or in to out and steep?   Low face increases spin.   Was the spin in italic; if so that means it was calculated and not measured.   Did you  get carry distances?  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

Steep doesn’t tell us much. Are you 3 degrees steep or 10 degrees steep? Are you out to in and steep or in to out and steep?   Low face increases spin.   Was the spin in italic; if so that means it was calculated and not measured.   

Outside in, which I’m working on with one of those speed gates. I’d say more to the 7-8 degrees steep. The ball just just flies high even with 7.5 loft

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Without seeing your swing, I agree a lesson is in order. What has worked for me is a slightly closed stance where my head/sternum is behind the ball. Right hand on the club by reaching from your right thigh keeping that right shoulder slightly closed. When you swing  try to keep the shoulders tilt you had at set up keeping your sternum behind the ball. This should create a flatter swing path. There are numerous videos that show this much better than I can explain. Ultimately a lesson with the eye of a trained teacher is the best approach.  Good Luck and remember to enjoy the game

WITB

Irons Taylormade P790 5 - P

Wedges Titleist Vogel 50,54,60

Driver. Ping G425 Max

Putter Taylormade Spider red

Hybrid Callaway 4

You have an over the top swing that is coming down and across the ball.

You need to fix the swing. Best option is to work with a good instructor.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If you just want a drill, I would say headcover outside the ball and headcover about a foot in Front of the ball.  With your diver swing you should miss both.   This is my opinion and may not help you solve any of the problems you have; since we don’t know the cause of the problem, but could help you “flatten” you swing to get better launch numbers 

to answer your question of has anyone fixed the problem.  I am working on it but my problem is that I get steep because my hands lag behind my hips.   I have a completely different problem than you have.  

I used to be super spinny (nowhere near 7k though) with my driver until I got a bunch of lessons. 

What helped me was start by teeing a bit higher and take half shots. Wide stance, lean right, bring your right shoulder back a bit then swing half and feel like you are trying to hook the ball to all hell. 

This should help the feeling as coming from the inside which makes it significantly less likely that you are going to come down on it. You can also, as someone said above, keep your feet closed. This will make it easier to come from the inside and slowing everything down will make it more obvious through feel where the club is travelling. 

Best bet, get a good instructor. They will be able to fix it in a lesson or 2, you will just need to commit to your new swing. 

110mph should be carrying around 260-270 with good launch conditions.

Where do you line up the ball relative to your front foot? I wonder if it it could be as simple as adjusting the alignment? For example, I can generate a much higher launch by putting the ball directly in front of my foot and a much flatter shot by putting the ball just outside by foot.

Edited by Q22Golf

Driver: TaylorMade M6, stiff, 9°, 45.75"

3W: Lazrus 3 Wood, regular, 15°, 43.5"

3H: Lazrus 3 Hybrid, regular, 18°, 40.75"

5i-PW,AW: TaylorMade M6, steel (PW-43.5°, AW-49° [both 36.00"-D1/C9])

52°W: Lazrus, 52°, 8°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

56°W: Lazrus, 56°, 12°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

60°W: Lazrus, 60°, 10°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast, 35", Flow Neck #9 (21° toe hang), KBS Chrome C-Taper Stepless Stability, Superstroke Gtr 1.0 grip

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x, Titleist Pro V1x, experimenting with Snell & Vice

Bag: testing - Stitch Golf SL2 Fadeaway walking bag (active review post link)

2 hours ago, Q22Golf said:

Where do you line up the ball relative to your front foot? I wonder if it it could be as simple as adjusting the alignment? For example, I can generate a much higher launch by putting the ball directly in front of my foot and a much flatter shot by putting the ball just outside by foot.

Just inside of the front

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA