Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2012: A Shaft Odyssey

First the hybrids:KBS Hybrid Shafts.

I decided to try the KBS Hybrid steel shafts.

The Looks.

These are a stepless design and look much like the Rifle shafts. They are very nice looking and as fine a looking shaft as any graphite on the market.

The Performance.

I had played some steel shafts before in hybrids and fairway metals, but honestly, they did not help. Looking back, i have always had a spin problem, too much, and this caused control and ballooning problems. The steel shafts I tried were all too weak and just did not do it for me. I got the KBS Hybrid shafts in stiff and then tipped them so that they were S+. These clubs for me have been called "sniper weapons" by my competitors in the past couple of weeks. I ended up putting these in some Hogan heads that I have played since 2004. These have had probably 20 different shafts in them over the years trying to find the right combination. I will look no further.

The KBS Shafts, give me as much or more distance than any graphite shaft I have ever tried. But they give me more accuracy also. Today, I hit the 14* off of the tee twice when everyone else was hitting driver, and had the second longest drive both times (but only by 10 and 8 yards) and was right in the middle of the fairway. I could not have placed the ball better. I also hit the green on three par 5s from 240+ and made one of the eagle putts.

I play KBS Tours in my Adams CB1's and I am considering going either KBS Tour or KBS Hybrid in my hybrid. My question for you his how much did you tip the Hybrid shaft to get it to play to S+. I contacted KBS but they told me I couldn't tip the shaft at all. My main reason for tipping in because my Tours are hardstepped once and I love the feel and want to basically duplicate it.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

I play KBS Tours in my Adams CB1's and I am considering going either KBS Tour or KBS Hybrid in my hybrid. My question for you his how much did you tip the Hybrid shaft to get it to play to S+. I contacted KBS but they told me I couldn't tip the shaft at all. My main reason for tipping in because my Tours are hardstepped once and I love the feel and want to basically duplicate it.

The KBS Tours with the .355 tapered tip, KBS says not to tip these to change the flex. I talked with them about it when I had as set of KBS Tours that were not the right flex and wanted to tip trim them. There spiel about it changing the flex but not the stiffness was confusing to me so I sold them and then sometime later I bought the XStiffs that I play now.

However, the KBS Hybrid shaft is .370 parallel tip only. I actually had to bore out my 909H's and MP FLI HI for these to fit. The parallel tip shafts can be tip trimmed. As a matter of fact you only get 43.5" shaft and have to trim the tip no matter what flex you get. I bought the S flex and then instead of trimming the 1" like it said for S flex (6.0) I trimmed it 1 9/16" to get an S+ (6.5) then butt trimmed it to length. Here is the link that tell how you should do that.

http://kbsgolfshafts...itting-info.pdf

Bottom of the page tells about Hybrids and parallel tips.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived