Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Why don't putter manufacturers make putters with interchangeable necks?

Duffer_E

Putter heads/experts:

I haven't yet had a putter fitting that I was confident with the results (I've had two, which amounted to 3-5 putts with my current gamer, and then a recommendation - no talk about stroke type, length, lie, loft, head shape, etc.).  But as I started delving into putter specs (and getting thoroughly confused/frustrated - can the golfing  manufacturing community agree on a standard glossary of terms/measurements please?), I wondered why putters aren't made with interchangeable necks. That is to say, for example, based on my stroke type, I should be using a double-bend shaft. I also prefer the look of a wide blade. However, manufacturers don't build wide blade putters with a double-bend shaft, only a plumber's neck, or center-shafted; therefore I have to settle for a putter that isn't exactly what I want.  Why can't the putter be constructed so that the buyer can purchase the head they want (because of look/feel/whatever) with the type of neck the need for their stroke type? The neck would simply screw in/snap in/attach to the putter head, then the shaft attaches to the neck, and bingo! 

Wouldn't that make the putter more desirable, leading to increased sales?

Driver:                      Callaway_SM.png.2dbd21e0ea11e718241b305262731058.png  Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 9.0° with Fujikura Ventus Blue 5 (S)

Hybrids:                   Ping_Logo_sm.jpg.bab5d82feeb6c1d1d269eaaef76a487a.jpg G430 3H/4H/5H w/ Ping Alta CB Shaft (S)

Irons:                      Mizuno_SM.png.79ebc3bf5a5ec19aa06f2821a4124811.png  JPX 923 Hot Metal HL - 6i - GW w/Fujikura Pro 95 (S) 

Wedges:                 TaylorMade_SM.png.224090fcebf3f2ce844f24e21b7ce40c.png  Hi-Toe 3 - 54° and 58°

Putter:                    Odyssey_SM.png.4e85ba988090a20cc755973ae2f75c8e.png  Ai-ONE Seven S Putter w/  FlatCat_SM.png.5c2b89b42629f36382f02c3455ef1102.png Fat grip

Ball:                         OnCore_SM.png.17951bcd1a597a2911ba64f199fd4f90.png  Vero X1

Rangefinder:          Nikon.png.a63f6ac8870a8c288ccc9f61454788f4.png  COOLSHOT PROII STABILIZED

Bag:                        Ogio_SM.png.0c28c8267d041ff62082aef4c42bb18a.png  Woode 8 Hybrid bag

7 minutes ago, Duffer_E said:

Putter heads/experts:

I haven't yet had a putter fitting that I was confident with the results (I've had two, which amounted to 3-5 putts with my current gamer, and then a recommendation - no talk about stroke type, length, lie, loft, head shape, etc.).  But as I started delving into putter specs (and getting thoroughly confused/frustrated - can the golfing  manufacturing community agree on a standard glossary of terms/measurements please?), I wondered why putters aren't made with interchangeable necks. That is to say, for example, based on my stroke type, I should be using a double-bend shaft. I also prefer the look of a wide blade. However, manufacturers don't build wide blade putters with a double-bend shaft, only a plumber's neck, or center-shafted; therefore I have to settle for a putter that isn't exactly what I want.  Why can't the putter be constructed so that the buyer can purchase the head they want (because of look/feel/whatever) with the type of neck the need for their stroke type? The neck would simply screw in/snap in/attach to the putter head, then the shaft attaches to the neck, and bingo! 

You should check out both Evnroll and Edel putters. I know Evnroll offers basically exactly what you're looking for, and there is a member test going on right now. And I think Edel offers several different hosel types as well? Someone might be able to give more detail on them.

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

1 hour ago, Duffer_E said:

Switchable hosels would be evnroll and machine.  You could go adjustable with the happy putter.  Several manufacturers offer the same head with different hosels - Taylormade, Odyssey, and PXG off the top of my head.   IMO, The biggest reason for the lack of interchangeable hosels is that not all hosels are inserted the same way, meaning not all are 90* insertion and there is also a need for different locations (heel to toe) of insertion 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Odyssey white hot double wide comes stock with a double bend shaft as does many others. As mentioned there are a few Evnroll and Machine being the 2 that come to mind right away as well as the demo version of the SIK DW.  
I agree interchangeable necks would be nice but your argument for it because you need a double bend double wide blade putter that isn’t available so you are using a putter that isn’t exactly what ya want/need isn’t valid. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

As already mentioned Evnroll, Machine and Edel all offer many different hosels for each model of putter.  Odyssey prob has the widest range of models that come in different hosels but are not changeable.

As for double bend wide blade models off the top of my head... Odyssey makes a couple, Bettinardi has one, I think Scotty either does or used to (some version of the squareback) so you should have plenty of options if that's your jam.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

But do they make them in a lefty?  Haha. All kidding aside I have thought about that as well and wondered why someone hasn't. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

as several already mentioned...check out EVNRoll

we just did a review recently....  

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

On 9/28/2023 at 9:40 AM, Nick_D said:

You should check out both Evnroll and Edel putters. I know Evnroll offers basically exactly what you're looking for, and there is a member test going on right now. And I think Edel offers several different hosel types as well? Someone might be able to give more detail on them.

Not for left handers.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • image.png.e5dbe8fedd098b46b3fda77752b5beae.png MG4 56.12 with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue Flex: R
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

image.png

image.png

On 9/30/2023 at 6:24 PM, jdparker said:

But do they make them in a lefty?  Haha. All kidding aside I have thought about that as well and wondered why someone hasn't. 

So far, the only one I can find who does this for lefties is PXG.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • image.png.e5dbe8fedd098b46b3fda77752b5beae.png MG4 56.12 with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue Flex: R
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

image.png

image.png

• 1 month later...

I've been working on my own system for Left Handed and Right Handed Players that allows you swap both hosel necks and shafts. Thread is M5x0.8 which is a typical golf shaft hosel adapter screw, likely will be a 12mm long screw with a T25 Torx hit. Designs are made by myself and would be open source with attribution similar to Apache 2.0

Enjoy

2G9IYqG.png

EQybWOS.png

kE86dYJ.png

Here is an example putter head prototype (Jailbird and Futura Hybrid)

fxxLinV.png

8UClZtz.png

Edited by BigBoiGolf
Cleanup
  • DRIVER: Maltby KE4 TC, Aldila Tour Green 75X, Tipped 1.5", 44.75"
  • 3W: Ping G425 LST, Aldila Tour Green 85X, Tipped 2", 43"
  • 3H: Ping G425, Aldila NV 2KXV Green 85X, Tipped 0.5", 42"
  • 4 - 7: Maltby TE+ Forged, Project X LZ 6.5
  • 8 - G: Maltby TS4 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5
  • SW, LW: Maltby TSW, Nippon Modus 120X, +0.5", 2* Flat
  • Putter: OpenSourceGolf Proto NP2 1/1, 347g, 35.5", Golf Pride Pro Only Red Star
  • Grips: Lamkin UTX Cord Blue
  • Balls: Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

19 minutes ago, BigBoiGolf said:

I've been working on my own system for Left Handed and Right Handed Players that allows you swap both hosel necks and shafts. Thread is M5x0.8 which is a typical golf shaft hosel adapter screw, likely will be a 12mm long screw with a T25 Torx hit. Designs are made by myself and would be open source with attribution similar to Apache 2.0

Enjoy

2G9IYqG.png

EQybWOS.png

kE86dYJ.png

Here is an example putter head prototype (Jailbird and Futura Hybrid)

fxxLinV.png

8UClZtz.png

This is awesome!  I have thought about this a bunch.  Are you planning on making this one?  If so, you will have to show the finished product.

I don't have the ability currently to do it but have a design I have thought about and how to make it work for right/left handers 

Yeah I gotta make more neck designs, such as 90* bore for double/triple bend shafts, stubouts for center-shafted putters, slant/flow necks for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full shaft offsets.

I talked to a hardware company over in China to figure out how much each neck would cost as like a set with the screws, rubber washers, and all that fun stuff. Head I'll probably do a one-off and have Hubs make me one. As for Left/Right hand, you just do the mirror of the design in CAD and export the files, like so:

Capture.PNG.26e01fdd69c3644d8e6c4aca979c698e.PNG

It's all so far away I'm going to be pretty honest I don't think anyone would actually purchase these, they're 100% CNC billet milled 304 stainless (as opposed to 'milled' putters that are just face and back milled from a forged/cast blank), but I've been making designs for my friends so they can have whatever they actually want.

I think next up with regards to swappable items is a swappable milled face. I already have swappable weights that use the M20x1.25 thread which is the large diameter thread on Scotty Cameron's putters (and I think Odyssey too).

• Putter: OpenSourceGolf Proto NP2 1/1, 347g, 35.5", Golf Pride Pro Only Red Star

1 hour ago, BigBoiGolf said:

Yeah I gotta make more neck designs, such as 90* bore for double/triple bend shafts, stubouts for center-shafted putters, slant/flow necks for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full shaft offsets.

I talked to a hardware company over in China to figure out how much each neck would cost as like a set with the screws, rubber washers, and all that fun stuff. Head I'll probably do a one-off and have Hubs make me one. As for Left/Right hand, you just do the mirror of the design in CAD and export the files, like so:

Capture.PNG.26e01fdd69c3644d8e6c4aca979c698e.PNG

It's all so far away I'm going to be pretty honest I don't think anyone would actually purchase these, they're 100% CNC billet milled 304 stainless (as opposed to 'milled' putters that are just face and back milled from a forged/cast blank), but I've been making designs for my friends so they can have whatever they actually want.

I think next up with regards to swappable items is a swappable milled face. I already have swappable weights that use the M20x1.25 thread which is the large diameter thread on Scotty Cameron's putters (and I think Odyssey too).

I have to learn CAD but would love to make my own at some point. 

Let me know if you want me to send you a LH prototype sometime, my next project would be milled irons with replaceable grooves and adjustable weights and swappable hosels.

13 minutes ago, BigBoiGolf said:

Let me know if you want me to send you a LH prototype sometime, my next project would be milled irons with replaceable grooves and adjustable weights and swappable hosels.

That would be awesome!  Sent you a message with my thoughts on design.

Others said it, just adding the photo from Evnroll .

VSeries_menubanner23.jpg.77e74875498380def9ca338584b66ee0.jpg

Edited by Shakeyfly

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing