Jump to content
Testers Wanted: Star Grips! ×

never had a real proper fitting done, please recommend


onesipwonder

Recommended Posts

Recently sold my 921 hot metal, not happy with their customer service at all. 

Now I am in the market for new irons. I done a fitting at PXG, but it felt like a bias fitting. 

Can someone recommend a place for me? I live in Atlanta Metro area. 

 

Play once a week, shooting around 90-97ish 

Not the fastest swing speed, I tend to swing smooth and slow. 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@onesipwonder it looks like you have several Club Champions around the area.  I did mine at CC and it was a good experience. Plenty of options to try out even as a lefty.  I will say they are definitely not the cheapest if you are purchasing clubs from them as they charge around $75-100 more per club from what i saw. My fit was something I could order from the manufacturer luckily and paid my fitting.

The fitting was thorough and I learned a lot from my fitter in the process.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, onesipwonder said:

Recently sold my 921 hot metal, not happy with their customer service at all. 

Now I am in the market for new irons. I done a fitting at PXG, but it felt like a bias fitting. 

What do you consider a proper fitting?  What was biased about PXG that you did t like?   Do you want a specific brand or brand agnostic?  Stock configurations or exotic shafts?  Are you ok with indoor fittings or do you want to see ball flight?  What is your budget? 
 

explaining what you are looking for will provide more info for people to give you recommendations.   Depending on your knowledge you can do a proper fitting yourself.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I watch fitting videos online, I see people go to try many different heads and shafts. At PXG, of course I only got to one type of head, it was 0211. Got to try maybe 2-3 shafts that's about it. Didn't have one of those wow I learned so much type of experience.  I also done a free Taylormade fitting at local golf course. It was like 5 minutes, he said go buy a Stealth with ventus RD 5 S (all stock). I bought a Sim 2 Max instead to save some money. I hate the club LOL. Totally regret that I sold my G400 Max for that. 

My old Mizuno iron was wore out after 1 year something. The club looks like it was 10+ year old. Mizuno said oh it is totally normal if you PLAY A LOT. I only play once a week, barely have time to practice at range. When I bought Mizuno, I had very high expectations. 

To me, I do feel when I am indoor, I almost feel restricted. As far as budget concern, I am pretty flexible. I want to find something works for me, and can use for a long time. I am looking for performance improvements that is definitely high on priority. I think because I had been cheap with my shopping process, this time I want to spend more to get something works and fits me. It was in one of the Paige's video, she said get fitted, get clubs that work for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jdparker said:

@onesipwonder it looks like you have several Club Champions around the area.  I did mine at CC and it was a good experience. Plenty of options to try out even as a lefty.  I will say they are definitely not the cheapest if you are purchasing clubs from them as they charge around $75-100 more per club from what i saw. My fit was something I could order from the manufacturer luckily and paid my fitting.

The fitting was thorough and I learned a lot from my fitter in the process.  

Thank you, I will go check out the Club Champions here in Atlanta. I forgot where I heard this, some said at CC they always try to sell people some super expensive shafts and stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, onesipwonder said:

Thank you, I will go check out the Club Champions here in Atlanta. I forgot where I heard this, some said at CC they always try to sell people some super expensive shafts and stuff. 

They definitely have the more expensive options. The ones that fit me best were stock shafts.  If I had them build them, they were going to be a little over a $100 more per club. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, onesipwonder said:

When I watch fitting videos online, I see people go to try many different heads and shafts. At PXG, of course I only got to one type of head, it was 0211. Got to try maybe 2-3 shafts that's about it. Didn't have one of those wow I learned so much type of experience.  I also done a free Taylormade fitting at local golf course. It was like 5 minutes, he said go buy a Stealth with ventus RD 5 S (all stock). I bought a Sim 2 Max instead to save some money. I hate the club LOL. Totally regret that I sold my G400 Max for that. 

My old Mizuno iron was wore out after 1 year something. The club looks like it was 10+ year old. Mizuno said oh it is totally normal if you PLAY A LOT. I only play once a week, barely have time to practice at range. When I bought Mizuno, I had very high expectations. 

To me, I do feel when I am indoor, I almost feel restricted. As far as budget concern, I am pretty flexible. I want to find something works for me, and can use for a long time. I am looking for performance improvements that is definitely high on priority. I think because I had been cheap with my shopping process, this time I want to spend more to get something works and fits me. It was in one of the Paige's video, she said get fitted, get clubs that work for you. 

Brand specific will have limitations.   Can’t answer why you only tried on head, but they only offer a few different shafts with their clubs so the fitter had you try the ones that might fit your swing.  Demo day fittings can be hit or miss, and after your TM fitting you went with a different club than you were fit into so performance may not be the same.    How did the stealth  compare to your Ping…you did hit them side by side for comparison!   

can’t speak to the condition of your Mizuno clubs since you didn’t post a picture, but they are probably forged and unless you use headcovers, they will show wear.  

sounds like you want to find an outdoor fitting and not indoor since your swing will be impacted; which influences fit.  You need to define the performance improvements you want when working with the fitter…distance, dispersion, or both.   You need to compare against your current clubs    

 On you it wasn’t a wow I learned so much comment, what questions did you ask, did you review the launch monitor numbers?  What did you expect them to do and what would have wowed you? 
 

 

19 minutes ago, onesipwonder said:

Thank you, I will go check out the Club Champions here in Atlanta. I forgot where I heard this, some said at CC they always try to sell people some super expensive shafts and stuff. 

Club champion deals primarily with aftermarket shafts. And you will also pay a premium on the equipment.  Again, fitting is about 2 way communication.  
 

my suggestion is that you research fittings, the fitting process, and the various fitters that you can find via google searches.   https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=571342877&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:10&tbm=lcl&q=atlanta+golf+fitting&rflfq=1&num=10&rllag=33842562,-84372321,909&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjH0JL85-GBAxVwFlkFHYjaDP8QjGp6BAgiEAE&biw=1128&bih=1453&dpr=2#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:[[34.567407315342315,-84.14736085209485],[33.85135353709621,-84.67539124760266]]
 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I've been following the Mobile Clubmaker on You Tube for the past couple of years.  He's opened Elite Fit Golf in Decatur and has what looks to be a good fitting facility.   He does fittings, club repair and club building at his facility.  I think all of his videos are under the Elite Fit Golf umbrella.  I'd check out his You Tube channel and give him a try.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie
 
2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2023 at 11:29 AM, onesipwonder said:

When I watch fitting videos online, I see people go to try many different heads and shafts. At PXG, of course I only got to one type of head, it was 0211. Got to try maybe 2-3 shafts that's about it.

Did the fitter watch you hit balls with your current iron?

If so he used what he saw along with the numbers from the launch monitor and determined that the 0211 was going to be the best fit out of their offerings for you. Shaft wise again he used whatever information he gathered from you before the fitting and while watching you swing to determine the shafts to try. Fittings aren’t to try every possible combo. While it may seem like that in the videos you watch where it’s a brand agnostic fitting they are still narrowing down the heads the golfer will try so that they can get the golfer dialed in to a combo then make tweaks to fine tune.

did you ask the pxg fitter why the 0212 wash chosen or why the shafts selected were the only ones? Did the fitter ask you any questions about how the different setups feel, what you are thinking?

It’s not always on the fitter when a fitting is less than spectacular 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I've been through 3 different fitting processes over the 30+ years that I've been playing golf. My first fitting was at a golf course with a pro (lie board, observe trajectory, static measurements, etc.). My second fitting was at a "big box" store (Golf Galaxy) with static measurements, hitting into a net, and not really looking at the many numebrs that are now available.  My most recent fitting was a full bag review at Club Champion and it was by far the best experience I've ever had.  I will say that there were many many years between these fittings and technology has changed so much and the amount of data that they can review now is astounding and overwhelming.  That being said, my fitter at Club Champion was absolutely incredible and really educated me throughout the process and was not pushing me to buy anything.  As a matter of fact, I ended up keeping my 5-wood and putter because there was no improvement in consistency and no reason to change them.  Yes, Club Champion can be expensive, but look for deals on full bag fittings (I got mine for $100 instead of the normal $400).  Even at $400 it would have been worth every penny.  I've also gone back a few times after receiving the new clubs that I purchased and had them do a tune-up.  This was all included in the cost of the fitting and the clubs that I purchased.  They stand behind what they do and what they make for you and are extremely knowledgeable. A huge shout out to Tommy McNally at the Pittsburgh Club Champion.  I highly recommend CC and Tommy in particular.

"In victory, you deserve champagne.  In defeat, you need it."

  • Driver - Callaway Paradym 10.5, Diamana TB 60 S
  • 5-Wood - TaylorMade RBZ Tour 18, Matix Ozik XCON-7 S
  • 4i - PW - Ping i230, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9, 50.08 F, 54.12 D, 60.04 T, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Putter - Titleist Cameron Newport, oilcan finish, 34", baby-T grip
  • All Grips - Golf Pride Z Grip Cord
  • Ball - Titleist Pro V1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...