Jump to content

2023 Titleist White Box Testing Thread


GolfSpy_APH

Recommended Posts

@snoopy79 & @2puttbogey I had similar trouble with this ball off the putter, but it was only when doing my side-by-side test with the Vice Pro. When I'm only using the TEST ball, I seem to be able to get the feel/speed okay (not great, but okay). I'm not sure why though. Do you think it's the softness being less responsive off the face so I compensate by hitting it way too hard?

WITB:

Driver:  PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.pngGen4 0811X (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_35px.png.0d6d0e557d5c18a58903aaf05ed572ff.png3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.png5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:  Sub70.png.2184b0ad55dd6cf5d54509b60c419e6b.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges: Sub70.png.2184b0ad55dd6cf5d54509b60c419e6b.png  286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: Sub70.png.2184b0ad55dd6cf5d54509b60c419e6b.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:  Vice_logo.png.729a77999807d43babe4f3f658d6165c.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_35px.png.20ce36ace6486597a4b0794c46c1fd5c.pngTour S

Pushcart: clicgear_logo.png.44ad85f06b123725c8fca94cb49899a3.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@jbern I did the same thing yesterday practicing. I started out using the Kirklands I normally play, and then switched to the test bal. It helped, but I still don’t like it. It did make it through my round today though. Aside from the putting feel issue, which may be just a personal preference thing, I still seen a couple strange ball flights. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

@jbern I did the same thing yesterday practicing. I started out using the Kirklands I normally play, and then switched to the test bal. It helped, but I still don’t like it. It did make it through my round today though. Aside from the putting feel issue, which may be just a personal preference thing, I still seen a couple strange ball flights. 

This is how I felt. Overall I liked it off the putter and wedges but the driver just saw too much variance.

 Damien--Titleist & TaylorMade enthusiast. Former College golfer.

image.png  TaylorMade Stealth Driver

image.png  Titleist 816 H1 Hybrid 19*

image.png  Stix Irons 5-PW

Jean Carlo Wedges- 50, 56 & 62 degrees

Pinemeadow EGI Chipper

image.png Cleveland Cleveland Golf HB Soft Premier #10.5C OS 35"

Red Rooster Testing Review:

Titleist White Box Testing Review:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played with the test ball yesterday and despite the fact that my swing is all over the place these balls mostly do (for me) what a ProV1 does while maybe spinning a little less on well hit wedge shots. I don't see a ton of difference except with the durability of the cover. I did come VERY close to losing on the balls on the first hole:

86AABABB-3704-496E-AA9B-CBA8794EBDC6.jpeg.429898c9fb5d4093768bd0835a8eb47b.jpeg

 

 

Also, had some rollout on a pretty well hit 58* but, again, nothing unmanageable but I just would have expected this to sit faster than it did (uphill into the grain). 
 

7ECACB9B-3DED-41A3-B5A5-1B85C2787ADE.jpeg.9964d60913d3a8c1613bc8a30fac2495.jpeg

 

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 

Titleist White Box 2023 Prototype Golf balls review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/53743-member-test-titleist-pro-v1pro-v1x-white-box/?do=findComment&comment=870550
Mizuno Long Game 2023 Testing review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59890-testers-announced-2023-mgs-forum-review-mizuno-long-game/?do=findComment&comment=941928
Rapsodo MLM2Pro Unofficial review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62637-unofficial-review-rapsodo-mlm2pro/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some reason, this ball agrees with me.  I really hit some launching irons yesterday.  The launch window seems to fit my eye really well.  I hit a few 3 woods off the tee that were a perfect piercing trajectory, that seemed to go for miles.  One of the guys in the group was like "That was a 3 wood?"  As my ball breezes by his drive.  LOL 😉  I have no issue stopping this ball on the green either.  The "drop, hop & stop" performance is still the same.  Maybe because of the soft greens like I said earlier.  I was able to back up a number of shots as well.  And I'm not a high spin player.  If this ball comes to production, I'd play it.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Parshooter36 said:

I did some more testing yesterday with my Uneekor QED launch monitor. This time I tested the test ball against 2 of my gamers from this season. The Callaway Chromesoft Truvis and the Srixon Q Star Tour.  I also gamed the OnCore Elixr for a while, but couldn't find the one I had dotted up for the launch monitor.

20231118_112544.jpg.a64ec7f78921007f580fdad115fd2715.jpg

I hit 9 iron, 5 hybrid, and driver this time.  I had eerily similar numbers this time around on all 3 clubs.  I wasn't swinging the driver my best, by my 9 iron and hybrid numbers were right where I would expect.  The only real difference was the Chromesoft spun about 10% less than both the test ball and the Q Star Tour.  The Chromesft was also 1 to 2 mph slower which explains why the totals where pretty much dead even.

20231118_113509.jpg.9e7d4a328a28ce3a7b1908209c8048b2.jpg

Overall, I really like the test ball.  It seems to fit in with the lower compression urethane cover balls I've played the past several years.  But assuming this is a premium Titleist, I don't see any significant difference over the Srixon that is about $20 cheaper per dozen.

20231118_114446.jpg.cbb4291ab2091d292f82f2a1577bf1c8.jpg

Thanks again to Titleist and MGS for the opportunity to test.

That's interesting to see your 9 iron spin numbers in comparison to MyGolfSpy's ball test results this year. It looks like the Chrome Soft, Q-Star Tour, and AVX were all near the bottom of spin for "mid iron". 

MyGolfSpy test (link)

  • AVX: 7,018
  • Chrome Soft: 6,909
  • Q-Star Tour: 6,673

and you had-

  • TEST: 6,259
  • Chrome Soft: 5,740
  • Q-Star Tour: 6,016

You got the lowest spin with the Chrome Soft for all 3 clubs, whereas the MyGolfSpy test had less spin with Q-Star Tour (both iron and driver).

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

Complete indoor testing – Will the results match on course observations and experience?

Indoor testing Protocol to be conducted like a golf ball fitting, in an indoor golf facility/academy with Trackman 4 as previously stated (page 16 of white box testing forum). I will hit 10 shots each 54* wedge, 7 iron and driver and take the average for each club and ball.   

Test Parameters: I will be specifically looking at the following: clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor, carry distance, total distance, spin, height, land angle, as well as club path, launch angle and dynamic loft.  The reference ball will be the Titleist ProV1x and the comparator balls will be what I’ve been fitted for by the Ping Ballnamic tool (ballfitting.com) as well as by the Titleist selector tool (ProV1x). The other comparator ball will be the Titleist AVX ball primarily because the shipping label sent by Titleist indicated it was a sleeve of AVX balls and it has the same number of dimples (348) and design pattern as an AVX.   Examining the inner core revealed a 3 piece ball with either purple power colour (AVX) or blueberry bomber colour (TEST).  This is also consistent with other testers have found or we have the same batch of balls. Please note, it could be an upgraded prototype or something totally different.  

image.png.688e0a323a542299fe0a4ca1e17241a8.png  image.png.8ecb1d476b30e0b408ffe9399c732dcb.png

              2023 AVX ball                “retired” TEST ball after 1 round              AVX – 3 pc, interior                         TEST – 3 pc, interior

Only Titleist knows for sure.  However, testing may reveal a completely different result.  So, I’m open to what the data shows.   

Wedge and partial wedge data has been previously reported (page 17 of white box testing forum)   

7 iron results – There was no real difference between the test ball and the comparator balls with respect to club head speed (76-77 mph), ball speed (107-108 mph), attack angle (-6), club path (-3 to -4), launch angle (13-14) or dynamic loft (18).  Carry distance was approximately 148 yards for all balls and total distance was 164 yards for the majority of the balls.  See Chart 1   AVX was a yard shorter and ProV1x and Chrome Soft X LS were 1 and 3 yards longer respectively.  Average Spin was the least with the Chrome Soft X LS, followed by the test ball.  ProV1x spun the most but all balls were within 150 rpm of each other, so no real difference .  See Chart 2

CHART 1  image.png.dcb96d88a3df5c04310e7eedabeb0e5f.png

CHART 2 image.png.9b5d558d3ebce9e1ef90d96fd61d3848.png

Driver results – Unfortunately, not one of my better driver days and inadvertently brought my iron swing to the driver portion of the testing, so too steep (-3 to 4* angle of attack, yikes) and out to in club path (-4 to -6, double yikes), resulting in low launch, height and reduced carry, however at least I was consistently bad throughout.  See there is a reason testing with Trackman is good as now I know what I need to work on over the winter. Thanks, MyGolfSpy.  

The TEST ball was the shortest of all the balls in total distance, on average 1 – 6 yards shorter. Similar results with carry distance, the Test ball was middle of the pack . The test ball spun the most of all the balls, however there was only 250 rpm of difference between all the balls.  (see chart 2 and 3).  The Srixon, ProV1x and Callaway had the higher ball speeds and 3 mph more than Test, Bridgestone and AVX. All other parameters were similar (data not shown).

CHART 3  image.png.5a70d7500ca6914efae4d1be7603bad9.png

Overall results: The TEST ball performed reasonably well, but Indoor testing on Trackman demonstrated that prototype test ball was on average 1-5 yards shorter with respect to the wedge and driver, with no real difference with the 7 iron. Spin was slightly less. On course, a different story. Test ball was overage 1-10 yards longer. So what’s going on?  

One concern/issue is durability. Two out of the three test balls had to be retired from testing after scuffing and wear. They were removed from testing as a scuffed ball would have negatively impacted the results. Is it possible they are using a softer or thinner cover which results in more green side spin but are more susceptible to scuffing?  Final report to follow.

Great charts!

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

That's interesting to see your 9 iron spin numbers in comparison to MyGolfSpy's ball test results this year. It looks like the Chrome Soft, Q-Star Tour, and AVX were all near the bottom of spin for "mid iron". 

MyGolfSpy test (link)

  • AVX: 7,018
  • Chrome Soft: 6,909
  • Q-Star Tour: 6,673

and you had-

  • TEST: 6,259
  • Chrome Soft: 5,740
  • Q-Star Tour: 6,016

You got the lowest spin with the Chrome Soft for all 3 clubs, whereas the MyGolfSpy test had less spin with Q-Star Tour (both iron and driver).

Who knows, It could be that my QED is not as accurate as the GC Quads used in their testing, or it could just be me.  Also, the Chrome Soft I used was a Truvis which my QED seems to pick up the spin on, so I did not dot that one up like I did the others.  It could just be that the Chrome Soft numbers are off, I will look and see if I have a regular Chrome Soft in my collection to put dots on and test again.

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

Who knows, It could be that my QED is not as accurate as the GC Quads used in their testing, or it could just be me.  Also, the Chrome Soft I used was a Truvis which my QED seems to pick up the spin on, so I did not dot that one up like I did the others.  It could just be that the Chrome Soft numbers are off, I will look and see if I have a regular Chrome Soft in my collection to put dots on and test again.

It's only a few hundred RPM too - not much. But it's interesting to note that the TEST for you slots into roughly the same spot as the AVX as slightly higher spin than both Q-Star Tour and Chrome Soft.

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off, thanks to Titleist and MGS for giving me a chance to play with some new golf balls, it seems like I am being type cast as a ball "demo"er! Although to be fair, my dad is thrilled anytime I get golf balls to test to save him a few bucks! 😂😂😂 Anyways, I did the Sugar golf ball review this summer and am always thrilled to get to test anything! So thanks again. 

Now, here are my thoughts on these Titleist Demo Balls. 

  • They look a lot like the AVX by way of dimple pattern and cover material/shine/feel. 
  • They are super hot, really felt like they were long off the tee. I was playing in colder weather and the course I was at has long fairways that just roll forever when the ground is hard, so maybe that was adding to the distance? But I did play 2 balls (Test ball vs. ChromeSoft X) and felt like I was getting 5-10 extra yards pretty consistently across the entire round.
  • Lower ball flight than I am used to, but not anything that was alarming to me. Could account for the added distance
  • I liked the feel around the greens, had no problem stopping them and getting them to hold up. 
  • They feel super soft, maybe a little too soft. But again, I liked chipping with them and being around the greens.
  • Durability was an issue for me. I was chipping with one of the balls and practicing around the green and the cover took a bit more damage than I would have guessed it should have, based on comparing against ChromeSoft and ProV1s, my normal gamers. 
  • Didn't quite have the control with my irons that I feel used to having. I shot 1 under with the Chromesoft and 2 over with the Test ball. Now, I know that is a small sample size and could be chalked up to other things, but my normal gamer was 3 shots better on the round. I am going to try and get another round in but the winter weather is basically here now in Utah, the mountains got a lot of snow last night and I don't know if I am going to get out again to do it? But I missed a lot of greens on approach shots, which usually isn't my issue. But I did get up and down a lot to save pars. 
  • Overall, nice ball, just not sure I would throw it in the bag just yet and would like more testing. I do have 1 more ball left that I am going to go use in my friend's simulator, so hopefully I can get some more data on the speed, carry distance, roll out, apex height, etc. I will keep you posted.

And last thing here, I am posting a link to a couple of YouTube videos I made using the ball. This is holes #3 (par 5, 510 yards), 4(par 4, 450 yards), and 5 (par 4, 350 yards) at Glen Eagle in Syracuse, Utah, a great course that I play a LOT. I went 1 under on that stretch with the Titleist test ball but you will see that I got up and down 3 times. So only 1 GIR but 3 fairways hit, just didn't have the control with my irons and approach shots, but really nice off the tee. And I am in the one in the short sleeve shirt, my friend was playing his normal ball. 

 

 

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9Deg, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

TaylorMade SIM2 3 Wood 15 Deg

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue - 3 19 Deg

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW

Vokey SM9 Wedges 48, 52, and 58 Deg

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 ( Still have my Fastback No. 1, it is in time out for a bit!)

All carried around in a customized Ping Hoofer Carry bag!

Check out my YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/@maddenbarnes

My swing in slo-mo:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JohnH1 said:

I did some additional testing in the Full Swing simulator at our local Y (nice, right!)  I was comparing the Titleist test ball against the Taylormade Tour Response stripe. I didn't feel like I was hitting it the best that day but my results were consistent; though I will admit I deleted the less desirable strikes.  It became very obvious to me that I need to turn down the loft on my driver as my spin rates were quite high as was my launch angle.  Here are my Driver (Callaway Epic Flash, stiff shaft) results.

Ball                    Total       Carry   Club head     Launch      Backspin    Height

Test ball              231          206         94.4             15.0           2806          67.6

Tour Response   231          207         95.1              15.4           2744          69.4

The balls were essentially the same off of the driver.

Next I moved to the Pitching Wedge, 43 degree WIlson D300, 3 years old with plenty of use.

Ball                    Total       Carry   Club head     Launch      Backspin    Height

Test ball              117          108         65.8            26.4            7488         63.4

Tour Response    118         109         67.4            25.9            7377          62.9

Again, the exact same results; I can detect no real difference in the performance of the balls.

The weather did get nice for Upstate NY last week and I got out on a sunny, calm 55 degree day. With so many leaves down and covering the fairway, I was very hesitant to use my driver on the test balls as I didn't want to lose any. Since I was playing solo and well ahead of the group behind me, most holes I played 2 balls. And usually from 130 on in, I hit all 3 test balls, plus 1 or 2 of the Tour Responses. On course I felt like I got a bit more yardage out of the Tour Response, and it seemed to stop a little quicker too. That mirrored my first writeup using fairly new Cleveland 52 and 56 degree wedges; the Tour Response flew a little further and stopped quicker.

I've enjoyed doing this test and it did enlighten me to using the simulator more for driver setup, and to check gapping on my bag. Being in Rochester, NY, it is near the end of the golfing season and many local courses have closed. My only wish is that the balls had come out a month earlier so I could have gotten more on-course testing with them.

Have a great Holiday season everyone!

Very nice review and testing.  If the test ball is an AVX prototype, then the Tour Response would be a good comparator.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro 2.0

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, tbarnes80 said:

First off, thanks to Titleist and MGS for giving me a chance to play with some new golf balls, it seems like I am being type cast as a ball "demo"er! Although to be fair, my dad is thrilled anytime I get golf balls to test to save him a few bucks! 😂😂😂 Anyways, I did the Sugar golf ball review this summer and am always thrilled to get to test anything! So thanks again. 

Now, here are my thoughts on these Titleist Demo Balls. 

  • They look a lot like the AVX by way of dimple pattern and cover material/shine/feel. 
  • They are super hot, really felt like they were long off the tee. I was playing in colder weather and the course I was at has long fairways that just roll forever when the ground is hard, so maybe that was adding to the distance? But I did play 2 balls (Test ball vs. ChromeSoft X) and felt like I was getting 5-10 extra yards pretty consistently across the entire round.
  • Lower ball flight than I am used to, but not anything that was alarming to me. Could account for the added distance
  • I liked the feel around the greens, had no problem stopping them and getting them to hold up. 
  • They feel super soft, maybe a little too soft. But again, I liked chipping with them and being around the greens.
  • Durability was an issue for me. I was chipping with one of the balls and practicing around the green and the cover took a bit more damage than I would have guessed it should have, based on comparing against ChromeSoft and ProV1s, my normal gamers. 
  • Didn't quite have the control with my irons that I feel used to having. I shot 1 under with the Chromesoft and 2 over with the Test ball. Now, I know that is a small sample size and could be chalked up to other things, but my normal gamer was 3 shots better on the round. I am going to try and get another round in but the winter weather is basically here now in Utah, the mountains got a lot of snow last night and I don't know if I am going to get out again to do it? But I missed a lot of greens on approach shots, which usually isn't my issue. But I did get up and down a lot to save pars. 
  • Overall, nice ball, just not sure I would throw it in the bag just yet and would like more testing. I do have 1 more ball left that I am going to go use in my friend's simulator, so hopefully I can get some more data on the speed, carry distance, roll out, apex height, etc. I will keep you posted.

And last thing here, I am posting a link to a couple of YouTube videos I made using the ball. This is holes #3 (par 5, 510 yards), 4(par 4, 450 yards), and 5 (par 4, 350 yards) at Glen Eagle in Syracuse, Utah, a great course that I play a LOT. I went 1 under on that stretch with the Titleist test ball but you will see that I got up and down 3 times. So only 1 GIR but 3 fairways hit, just didn't have the control with my irons and approach shots, but really nice off the tee. And I am in the one in the short sleeve shirt, my friend was playing his normal ball. 

 

 

Excellent review and nice addition with the video clips. Thanks for sharing.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro 2.0

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HikingMike said:

Great charts!

Thank you.  The beauty of Excel

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro 2.0

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a week I think I'm finally ready to give my thoughts on the TEST balls. Sadly, I wasn't able to get out to a course as I had a family emergency this weekend that got in the way of getting on last round in to test these bad boys, but I was finally able to get to the local simulator so that I could get some concrete data. As this was my first-time using Trackman though I definitely didn't have it setup right, so instead of having the shots broken up by what ball was being used it was all together. So, I don't have as good of a breakdown as I wanted but anyways, I was still able to come to a couple of conclusions. I decided to use my 7 iron and Driver for testing as right now my wedges are so inconsistent, I didn't think the data would be very reliable. I used 4 different balls The TEST ball, ProV1X, TP5 PIX and Callaway ERC Soft. I would do 5 with the test ball and then 5 of a mixture of the others. Below are the dispersion charts for these. 

 image.png.1373c763a7b3fd7e009ca028d5b6875b.pngimage.png.8f19a95d831243f4a1e9a6411e3885d4.pngimage.png.3c73f055b2d4e1811210e64870e28ab5.pngimage.png.a408f7a9ff6c5e01e8d82ca4730deb36.png

As you can see from the chart when it came to the 7 irons. There was no noticeable difference when it came to the TEST ball and the 3 others that I used when it came to accuracy, trajectory and distance. But when it came to the Driver that's where I saw the big differences. The TEST Ball had a little higher trajectory, generated more spin than the others and was also a good 10 yards shorter. 

With my last hour on the simulator. I decided to play nine holes, one with the test ball, the other with my usual gamer, Callaway ERC Soft. During these nine holes I once again I noticed that the TEST ball was shorter on almost every shot. Once I took that into account, I didn't see much of a difference between the two the rest of the round. When I was all done though I noticed that the TEST ball was really starting to show wear on it, while none of the other balls I used that day showed much wear at all. 

So inconclusion I can see that the TEST ball is not for me, I had never used an AVX ball before and now I don't really plan to, it just creates to much driver spin for my liking and the loss of distance is something that I just can't afford. Also, the durability with these is a big issue that I think they really needs to be looked at. 

Driver - Titleist TSR3 

3-wood- PING G10 

3 Hybrid- Taylormade M2 

Irons- Taylormade R9 

Gap Wedge- Cleveland CG12 

Lob wedge- Cleveland CG10 

Putter- Odyssey 2-Ball White hot 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jj1010 said:

After a week I think I'm finally ready to give my thoughts on the TEST balls. Sadly, I wasn't able to get out to a course as I had a family emergency this weekend that got in the way of getting on last round in to test these bad boys, but I was finally able to get to the local simulator so that I could get some concrete data. As this was my first-time using Trackman though I definitely didn't have it setup right, so instead of having the shots broken up by what ball was being used it was all together. So, I don't have as good of a breakdown as I wanted but anyways, I was still able to come to a couple of conclusions. I decided to use my 7 iron and Driver for testing as right now my wedges are so inconsistent, I didn't think the data would be very reliable. I used 4 different balls The TEST ball, ProV1X, TP5 PIX and Callaway ERC Soft. I would do 5 with the test ball and then 5 of a mixture of the others. Below are the dispersion charts for these. 

 image.png.1373c763a7b3fd7e009ca028d5b6875b.pngimage.png.8f19a95d831243f4a1e9a6411e3885d4.pngimage.png.3c73f055b2d4e1811210e64870e28ab5.pngimage.png.a408f7a9ff6c5e01e8d82ca4730deb36.png

As you can see from the chart when it came to the 7 irons. There was no noticeable difference when it came to the TEST ball and the 3 others that I used when it came to accuracy, trajectory and distance. But when it came to the Driver that's where I saw the big differences. The TEST Ball had a little higher trajectory, generated more spin than the others and was also a good 10 yards shorter. 

With my last hour on the simulator. I decided to play nine holes, one with the test ball, the other with my usual gamer, Callaway ERC Soft. During these nine holes I once again I noticed that the TEST ball was shorter on almost every shot. Once I took that into account, I didn't see much of a difference between the two the rest of the round. When I was all done though I noticed that the TEST ball was really starting to show wear on it, while none of the other balls I used that day showed much wear at all. 

So inconclusion I can see that the TEST ball is not for me, I had never used an AVX ball before and now I don't really plan to, it just creates to much driver spin for my liking and the loss of distance is something that I just can't afford. Also, the durability with these is a big issue that I think they really needs to be looked at. 

Really enjoyed the trackman charts here - agreed that this ball is kinda a "meh" for me as well (never gamed the AVX and have no plans to).  

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver:  image.png.f54d2adeca80979bef0a4e22ab464b6f.png Aerojet Max 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The cover definitely has to be addressed if it does come to production.  I think all of us seem to have the same issues with cover durability.  And not from cart paths either 😆

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Test balls arrived last night. Let the games begin!

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[mention=126099]snoopy79[/mention] & [mention=95318]2puttbogey[/mention] I had similar trouble with this ball off the putter, but it was only when doing my side-by-side test with the Vice Pro. When I'm only using the TEST ball, I seem to be able to get the feel/speed okay (not great, but okay). I'm not sure why though. Do you think it's the softness being less responsive off the face so I compensate by hitting it way too hard?

I don’t think you were hitting it too hard. I never felt a thing when it came off the putter face. I really think this is one of the softest covers I have played with in recent memory. I think you can get used to it over time.

It was showing signs of scuffing and cuts after 4 holes. Still playable though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges:  Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png56 Deg, 60 Deg

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Balls: Titleist ProV1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back on Trackman for short game stuff. Hit both 3/4 54* shots (typical carry there is 80 yds) and 30 yd pitches with a 58*. Today I used Kirkland Performance + (yellow), Srixon Z-Star XV and the test ball. Again, a few things stand out...

-Kirkland doesn't really spin that much for me on shorter shots
-The test ball does a decent job spinning on these and seems to launch higher on average
-The test ball, to me, does a good job offsetting the potential loss in spin with higher peak height and land angle

image.png.e39a93a54e03fa2742eef339916ca9be.png
 

1ACBE06F-1A0F-4480-8522-92EDD9AC27EE.jpeg.9f7663f0070e5465a2fe9342f358837e.jpeg

 

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 

Titleist White Box 2023 Prototype Golf balls review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/53743-member-test-titleist-pro-v1pro-v1x-white-box/?do=findComment&comment=870550
Mizuno Long Game 2023 Testing review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59890-testers-announced-2023-mgs-forum-review-mizuno-long-game/?do=findComment&comment=941928
Rapsodo MLM2Pro Unofficial review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62637-unofficial-review-rapsodo-mlm2pro/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Final" review is up for me - plan to keep playing with it over the next few months and will continue to provide feedback / thoughts as they come.  Overall, this is a "not for me" ball, but could see a market for golfers that like a super soft / med spin ball.  Thanks (as always) MGS for the opportunity!

giphy.gif

Edited by CFreddie

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver:  image.png.f54d2adeca80979bef0a4e22ab464b6f.png Aerojet Max 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When doing my previous posts, I forgot to mention durability. It would appear that I have not had the same durability issues that others have had. I played 15 holes with the photographed ball and after giving it a good wash, this was the worst damage I could find:

IMG_0858.jpeg.3a09ff85a432025f215b801ee5837233.jpeg

Note that I did not have any sand shots and also only hit a tree on two shots (one was a 9i and the other was a chip around the green). 

I’m planning to hit it a bunch more with a launch monitor, so we’ll see how long it lasts. 

WITB:

Driver:  PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.pngGen4 0811X (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_35px.png.0d6d0e557d5c18a58903aaf05ed572ff.png3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.png5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:  Sub70.png.2184b0ad55dd6cf5d54509b60c419e6b.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges: Sub70.png.2184b0ad55dd6cf5d54509b60c419e6b.png  286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: Sub70.png.2184b0ad55dd6cf5d54509b60c419e6b.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:  Vice_logo.png.729a77999807d43babe4f3f658d6165c.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_35px.png.20ce36ace6486597a4b0794c46c1fd5c.pngTour S

Pushcart: clicgear_logo.png.44ad85f06b123725c8fca94cb49899a3.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alrighty - I wrapped up my testing yesterday by playing the test ball in some capacity on most of the 11 holes that I got in. I did not take any on course pictures, as it was 39 degrees with 15 - 25 mph winds, and every spare second that my hands were not on the clubs were spent jammed in my pockets. I alternated playing my ProV1s and the test ball, occasionally swapping the test ball or playing a shot with each when I wanted to see what it would do when comparing against the ProV1 as my primary ball. 

- Shots off the tee were still straight (except for the very first zero warmup swing of the day that duck-hooked into someone's back yard, but that's why they sent me three, right?), but in yesterday's conditions the ball ballooned a lot higher when hit into the wind. Shots fell significantly shorter than my ProV1. Into the wind, my ProV1 was rolling out 220 - 230, carrying 200 - 215, whereas the test ball only rolled out to 210 after carrying 195 - 200 into the stiff breeze. Long drive of the day with the ProV1 was 334 (wind at the back and a nice downhill roll, carried around 290), and the test ball was around 260, with about a 245-250 carry. The test ball felt quite a bit softer off the driver, and given the distance loss, I prefer the ProV1. 

- Iron shots carried the same higher trajectory, which on a very windy day was not ideal. Shots again were about 10 - 15% shorter than the ProV1 and had significantly less spin and more roll out. Balls rolled out a few yards even with the much steeper landing angle. The lone bright spot for the test ball came on hole 8, playing 120 yards into the wind. I thinned my ProV1 with a 9 iron well long and left of the green, but was able to keep the test ball low and out of the wind and land it just short of pin high with about 10 feet of roll out. I have no idea how a ball with that low of a trajectory was able to hold (maybe it was the overnight rain that softened the exact landing spot that I hit), but I was able to can the putt for a sort-of bird. Besides this one shot, the ball flight was too high for the conditions and rolled out more than I would prefer. 

- Wedges were much lower spinning than the ProV1 and rolled out significantly further; I was able to check my ProV1 consistently throughout the day, but the test ball did not bite at all - like ZERO spin. It was like channeling my inner Tim Wakefield to chip knuckleballs and watch them roll out 20 yards. I could not get a feel for how to play the ball greenside effectively. I would hate to be short sided with a tight lie with this ball unless I was able to putt, as I don't have the confidence to be able to stop it. I have seen a few people comment that they were able to control it, but I was not able to. 

- Putting with the ball was not too much different than the ProV1, although today I noticed the difference in feel much more. The test ball felt quite a bit softer today, but it did not really impact how I took my stroke. It rolled true and I was able to hit some nice 10-15 footers and had no complaints. I am indifferent to this ball with the putter. 

All in all, I was not a huge fan of this ball. I am used to the ProV1, and this ball behaved much differently. Off the tee it was shorter, but straighter. Irons were shorter, but with more roll out. Wedges lacked the spin that I am accustomed to. Putting was fine. Based on how I played with this ball, I probably would not put it into my bag. I am very grateful to MGS and Titleist to be able to participate in this evaluation, and hope that I get the opportunity to do this again in the future!

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, taylorjonasher said:

The lone bright spot for the test ball came on hole 8, playing 120 yards into the wind. I thinned my ProV1 with a 9 iron well long and left of the green, but was able to keep the test ball low and out of the wind and land it just short of pin high with about 10 feet of roll out. I have no idea how a ball with that low of a trajectory was able to hold (maybe it was the overnight rain that softened the exact landing spot that I hit), but I was able to can the putt for a sort-of bird.

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, vandyland said:

Back on Trackman for short game stuff. Hit both 3/4 54* shots (typical carry there is 80 yds) and 30 yd pitches with a 58*. Today I used Kirkland Performance + (yellow), Srixon Z-Star XV and the test ball. Again, a few things stand out...

-Kirkland doesn't really spin that much for me on shorter shots
-The test ball does a decent job spinning on these and seems to launch higher on average
-The test ball, to me, does a good job offsetting the potential loss in spin with higher peak height and land angle

image.png.e39a93a54e03fa2742eef339916ca9be.png
 

1ACBE06F-1A0F-4480-8522-92EDD9AC27EE.jpeg.9f7663f0070e5465a2fe9342f358837e.jpeg

 

Very nice review and data

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro 2.0

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Cfhandyman This is an elite review ^^^^^

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 

Titleist White Box 2023 Prototype Golf balls review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/53743-member-test-titleist-pro-v1pro-v1x-white-box/?do=findComment&comment=870550
Mizuno Long Game 2023 Testing review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59890-testers-announced-2023-mgs-forum-review-mizuno-long-game/?do=findComment&comment=941928
Rapsodo MLM2Pro Unofficial review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62637-unofficial-review-rapsodo-mlm2pro/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, vandyland said:

@Cfhandyman This is an elite review ^^^^^

Thank you, that is quite kind of you to say. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro 2.0

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...