Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What is the most under appreciated brand in golf?

I agree with many posts here regarding Srixon/Cleveland.  Although I think the Srixon ball does pretty well.  I go back and forth between Taylormade TP5X and the Srixon Z-Star Divide.  
I see a lot of good stuff about Edel Golf but never really see them in action.  I just ordered a 7 iron to try it out.
Another "golf" brand that is growing, but still under -appreciated is True Linkswear.  IMO, the best DTC shoe line in the business.  

Taylormade woods and hybrids/Titleist irons and wedges/Scotty putter/Srixon Z-StarXV

Subjective, but the gear/data nerd in me would argue for Srixon (irons), Vice (balls), and Evnroll (putters). Edel is on my radar now as well.

Edited by mtspinelli

TaylorMade SIM2 Max at 9.75°

Ping G425 Max at 15.5° (flat)

Callaway Apex UW at 21°

TaylorMade P770 4i-PW (2° flat)

Ping Glide 3.0 (orange) at 50°S - 54°S - 58°E

Evnroll ER2B (custom)

Vice Pro Plus

It's too bad Nike stopped making clubs. I have a set of irons from the last year they made them, and they are great hitters, providing my swing is ok. LOL.

Thomas

Wilson, for sure and don't forget the new version of Ben Hogan, which refuses to go away. Tour Edge has become a bigger player, and I think Sub 70 and New Level will get to that point as well.  One brand that a club maker friend of mine pushes is Tom Wishon - I've hit a couple of their clubs and they are very good.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

TRUE Linkswear, I've worn a ton of different shoes from a bunch of brands and these are just stellar but so many people that I meet on the course have never heard of them.

Callaway Big Bertha Double Black Diamond Driver, Adams Speedline 3wd, Adams 2hybrid, Callaway X-forged 3-PW, Nike VRII Forged 54 & 58, Ping Anser

This is a great question.   I would probably start with delineating between the major brands and the more niche ones.  For me L.A.B is niche even if it is doing pretty well on tour it seems.  For the "major" producers, I would probably go with Wilson and Srixon a close second.  More than 30 years ago I had a set of Wilson irons and they were extremely good, I basically learned to play golf with them.   Over the years I have played others, but I always stopped to look at the Wilson staff irons, I think the most recent version are quite attractive.  I would still at least entertain the thought to buy a set in the future if they fitted well.  Clearly, Wilson seems to be the Rodney Dangerfield of golf equipment. 

I saw another comment on here and I would agree with it - in that you could potentially make a case for PING as well in the top tier OEM's. PING is nowhere near as flashy, jazzy and noisy as Callaway and TaylorMade, which seem to release new drivers every 6 months, each one guaranteed to hit it farther than the one 6 months before.  I personally find all that marketing blitz and technobabble about the latest tricks they did to magically make it better a big turn off.  Even if the club DOES go a little bit farther, I will not buy them.  PING still has the original family involved and they are all about engineering excellence and details, not marketing razz.  I think you could argue for the major OEM's despite their high quality they don't get the dues they should. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

I have always liked Maltby and have used their products successfully for years.   Their latest designs....esp. irons....combine good looks with excellent playability due to the Maltby Playability Factor.  They are also reasonably priced.   I'll be a Maltby customer for as long as I play the game!

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

One of the finest sets of irons on the market and played by very few on tour are Mizuno irons.  Well made and an outstanding performing club.  When I see a set in someone's bag I know that I going up against a great ball striker.  Underappreciated by the masses but appreciated by the purests. Not seen on tour because they do not pour money into playing pros to play they like Callaway and Taylormade.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Love this thread idea as there have been a few names I've not really heard of before I've noted down and will definitely be looking more into. Golf can be such an odd sport in terms of how hard it can be to break into - I've seen a lot more random brands these days on the course as the "average player" finds themselves getting annoyed with what the big brands are costing which is opening things up. I definitely find that players not confident in their own game will always tend to stick with what they see on tour but I love communities like this that open it up and talk about the random brands that we all like. 

From a club POV, I definitely think that a lot of people have hit on a few of the ones that came immediately to mind - Srixon and Wilson. Wilson has been around for so long and set the standard for a lot of design today. I expect we all know a few people that used to game Wilson Staff and I love that they're making a comeback. Srixon similarly is a top brand but doesn't get shouted about as much. 

Golf balls - before Tiger got into them I'd have said Bridgestone as became a big fan after being gifted a sleeve of them and love them. Now I'm more inclined to say a Maxfli or similar. I've also been playing with some Seed balls recently as a mate on the course recommended them. A DTC brand from Ireland but retail through a few websites here in Australia. 

As for clothing - I love seeing newer brands take over on this one. I've started wearing a lot of a small Aussie brand - Birds of Condor as loved their golf hats and have a few of their t-shirts as well. Highly recommend but have also liked seeing Penguin come up a bit more on the course. Funky designs that do brighten it up. 

D - Callaway X 416

3 Hybrid - Mizuno JPX850

Irons - Mizuno MPH4 5-PW

54deg Vokey SM7

50deg & 58 deg Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full-Face

P - Odyssey Tank 2 ball  

I think Wilson would be the most under appreciated manufacturer for me. They have always made top quality equipment that no one plays because they don't have a large tour following and everyone wants to play what they see on tour. I remember years ago going to a driver demo day at my home course with my mind set on the Taylormade Burner. I was pretty long in those days and I tried every club there;  the Burner, the Big Bertha, etc, etc, hitting them all out past the 250 sign on the range, which isn't far today but was long in those days. Then the Wilson rep came up to me and asked me to try the Wilson Whale. I hit 10 consecutive shots directly over the 5 on the 250 yard sign then handed it back to him and you could tell by the look on his face he was sure he has a sale. I hit that club 100% on target and easily 20 yards longer than anything else I'd hit that day, but I just couldn't allow myself to have a club called "The Whale" in my bag, even if John Daly had one in his bag. Huge ego driven mistake!

• TM Stealth 9* 
  • TM SIM 3 wood
  • TM P790 4-PW
  • Cleveland RTG 580 52*, 56*, 60*
  • TM Spider GT
  • Titleist ProV1X

I will pipe up again for Indi Golf, the maker of hi-spin wedges.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

16 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

For grips I am going to throw out Lamkin and Star. I'm not a big Winn grip fan, but feel both Lamkin and Star make a truly fantastic product that often isn't appreciated enough.

Lamkin was Arnold Palmer’s brand.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

As much has it has been mentioned, I'm not really sure I can say Wilson again, but their new Dynapower Forged irons are so sweet, I'm going to anyway.  Tried them at a demo day and am still pining for them.  Shout out to their new AI fit system too.

If I see a lot of Wilson on the courses this season, I'll come back and edit this post, but doubt I'll have to worry about it. 

Quite a few mentions of the Cobra woods, but if I didn't love my Evenroll putter so much, I'd be looking to pick up one of those 3D putters in a heartbeat.  If/ when the stroke goes cold later, you may see me stalking them again.

Last but not least, I love the  Oncore Elixr balls! 

Really you could probably mention any DTC ball brand, so much better value for almost/exactly the same playability as the big name balls for almost everyone out there.  But if I had to play a "top end" ball, it would be a Srixon.

:srixon-small:      ZX7 Driver 9.5 Stiff flex Smoke Black shaft

:taylormade-small:   3HL 17 Rocketballz Matrix Ozik Stiff

:wilson_staff_small: C300 Hybrids 20. 23 Fujikura Speeder Stiff

:taylormade-small:   Stealth 5- GW Ventus Red 6-R

(Sorry, no Edison logo as of yet)   Edison 49 and 55 degree wedges                                                               :cleveland-small: RTX 4 56/8  64/6 Raw Wedges

:EVNROLL:  ER5 CS 35 in putter

:ShotScope:  V3 GPS Shot tracker watch

:OnCore:   OnCore Elixr

I can only speak for the ones I've tried. Based on MGS wedge reviews, I decided to give the Cobra CB Snakebites a go seeing how we have primarily soft conditions and dormant Bermuda grass this time of year, I'm glad I did. I'm not only impressed, I'm impressing others. I've holed out for an eagle from the fairway with the 56, I'm hitting it close with both the 52 and 56 regularly. I hit the pin out of a green side bunker from 15 yards yesterday with the 52. A 52 that plays easily from the firm sand, that's amazing! The radial soles on these clubs are awesome. Our bunkers are always on the shallow and firm side so I typically play a 58 or 60 green with 8 or 10 bounce. I'm surprised how easy it is to slide the 52 under the ball. That makes longer bunker shots easier with the same swing effort for me anyway. I'm more accurate with the 52 and 56 SB CB's than any wedges I've owned and I have the SM10's and MG4's.  All I can say is don't knock them until you try them, the Spy's were right with their assessment, with exception to ranking them #2 compared to the MG4's. That test was likely not done in the worst conditions, dormant soft Bermuda. The SB CB's kick ass on the MG4's and the SM10's in the conditions this time of year and I will keep the 52 and 56 in the bag in good conditions now as well. Going to adjust have the lie checked on the 60 today, it's a little too upright for my game. Considering buying the 48 now too and if they made an entire set of CB irons that looked like these I would buy them today. Accuracy is King Cobra! 

Driver Ai Smoke Max 9* set at 8*

3 FW Ai Smoke

HW Ai Smoke

Hybrid G430

Irons Callaway Apex 21 Forged CB

Putter Ping Answer 2 PLD

Wedges Titleist Vokey SM9 56M and 60S

Ball, Vice Pro-Plus 

Handicap 6 

Balls:    Maxfli. I've been playing them for years and they just get better and you cannot argue with the price.

Clubs:  As a lot of people have said, Srixon by far. I've demoed several different iron sets and drivers and have not been disappointed. 

Clubs #2: Ping. I know a number of people that will not consider Pings because they think they are made for high handicap golfers only. Even after i point out the number of Pros that play Ping clubs. Just a mindset that cannot be changed. 

Ping G400 Max @ 9 degrees

Ping G400 Stretch 3W

Ping G400 3i Hybrid

Cleveland 2009 launcher 4i Hybrid (also a 2i and 1i not currently in the bag)

Ping G700 5-9, PW, GW, SW (Green Dot and 3/4" length addition)

Ping Glide-3 60 Deg. LW (Green Dot) (also a Glide-2 58 deg LW and Glide 54 Deg SW not in the bag)

All Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize Grips

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11 Putter 35" w/oversize grip

Cobra drivers, long, straight and forgiving and Srixon irons, great feel and very workable.

Firefighter

Single figures

120+ swing speed

LTDx Driver

Srixon ZX 3Wood & Utility Iron

Srixon ZX7 Irons

Vokey Wedges

Tie between Cobra and Srixon

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

On 3/20/2024 at 3:04 AM, acatalano32 said:

My first thought was Srixon, being from Huntington Beach California I always thought it was cool being from the same place. 
but I would say Ping putters are under appreciated. Not a lot of tech but they do feel great and the black putters with white sight lines are very pleasing to look at.
most people gravitate to odyssey or Scotty’s  

Used to live like a half mile away from Srixon/Cleveland HQ in HB.

:ping-small:G430 Max 10k 9°

:cleveland-small:3+ Hy-wood 17°

:cleveland-small:4+ Hy-wood 20°

:ping-small:4 Hybrid 22°

:srixon-small:Zx5 mkII 5i-P

:cleveland-small:CBX 48°, CBX FF 53° & 58°

:cleveland-small:Frontline Elevado 

:srixon-small:Z-Star

Such a great topic! And I am so glad to see so many of the same answers. Said for years but Cobra woods just perform and are a great choice. Wilson has some done a great job lately especially with some of their irons.

But for me top to bottom it has to be Srixon/Cleveland. Quality across the board and performance to back it up. I mean the Zx5 mkII were the MGS winner for players distance irons when they came out. They are not as known or flashly as the big 4 or even Cobra to some level. But they really deserve some more love. 

I will throw these guys out there for balls since they don't make equipment anymore, Bridgestone. Everyone forgets all those balls Tiger used were Bridgestone for years just with a Nike logo stamped on it. Much like Srixon and Sumitomo, when your parent company has 100s of people who do nothing but R&D on rubbers, polymers, etc... you are going to be able to make a great golf ball.

:ping-small:G430 Max 10k 9°

:cleveland-small:3+ Hy-wood 17°

:cleveland-small:4+ Hy-wood 20°

:ping-small:4 Hybrid 22°

:srixon-small:Zx5 mkII 5i-P

:cleveland-small:CBX 48°, CBX FF 53° & 58°

:cleveland-small:Frontline Elevado 

:srixon-small:Z-Star