Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Game Improvement Irons vs Player Distance Irons distance

I have a bit of a question and am curious what everyone in the community thinks when it comes to the distance variables of Game improvement irons and player distance irons. currently, I play Taylormade Sim2 irons with KBS 85 gram stiff shafts. I recently got fitted for the Mizuno JPX Forged with true temper 105 stiff shafts. With my sim2 irons, my 7 iron would range from 170-175 and it would stop immediately with a high launch. I went and hit my new clubs and my new 7 iron was going 185 and then take a small bounce and stop. 

Usually, I would have thought I would lose a club going from game improvement to player distance but I gained a club, why is that? Thank you for any insight. 

My first question, and I don't know the answer, would be what are the lofts of the two 7 irons in question?  There's certainly more involved, offset, perhaps swing weight, etc. but loft is the easiest spec to compare as a starting point.  Regardless, impressive results, congrats.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

50 minutes ago, Calibred_Golf said:

I have a bit of a question and am curious what everyone in the community thinks when it comes to the distance variables of Game improvement irons and player distance irons. currently, I play Taylormade Sim2 irons with KBS 85 gram stiff shafts. I recently got fitted for the Mizuno JPX Forged with true temper 105 stiff shafts. With my sim2 irons, my 7 iron would range from 170-175 and it would stop immediately with a high launch. I went and hit my new clubs and my new 7 iron was going 185 and then take a small bounce and stop. 

Usually, I would have thought I would lose a club going from game improvement to player distance but I gained a club, why is that? Thank you for any insight. 

Post launch monitor data and it could be explained in more detail.    

But the basic answer is probably that they fit you better, better contact, and you swing the club faster;  probably due to the 85 vs 105 gr shaft and its profile. 

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, Bobbers said:

My first question, and I don't know the answer, would be what are the lofts of the two 7 irons in question?  There's certainly more involved, offset, perhaps swing weight, etc. but loft is the easiest spec to compare as a starting point.  Regardless, impressive results, congrats.

If default spec, The SIM 2 is 28.5 and 37.25" and the JPX Forged is 30 and 37".   Kind of defeats that loft jacking makes the ball go farther argument.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If default spec, The SIM 2 is 28.5 and 37.25" and the JPX Forged is 30 and 37".   Kind of defeats that loft jacking makes the ball go farther argument.  

Shafts are very different - it would help to see data. Everyone is different and there no standard within those categories - generally the GI’s will have more offset and a larger footprint but beyond that there’s no real standard.  

Throw in changing course conditions and this is probably not an apples to apples comparison. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

Shafts are very different - it would help to see data. Everyone is different and there no standard within those categories - generally the GI’s will have more offset and a larger footprint but beyond that there’s no real standard.  

Completely agree; that was my assessment in my first post.  

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Post launch monitor data and it could be explained in more detail.    

But the basic answer is probably that they fit you better, better contact, and you swing the club faster;  probably due to the 85 vs 105 gr shaft and its profile. 

This right here. Without data it’s only speculation what is happening between the two.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thinking of cnosil’s observation about loft jacking I’m longer with my Srixons than my Wilsons even though the Srixons are a degree weaker and 1/4 inch shorter - - fit and shaft I’m sure. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Thinking of cnosil’s observation about loft jacking I’m longer with my Srixons than my Wilsons even though the Srixons are a degree weaker and 1/4 inch shorter - - fit and shaft I’m sure. 

Could be vcog location too and how close to it you are hitting as well

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

16 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Could be vcog location too and how close to it you are hitting as well

Could be multiple things.  We were just pointing out that simply looking at loft does not mean a club will go farther.   Just real life example of the falsehood that loft jacked irons always go farther.   

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Could be multiple things.  We were just pointing out that simply looking at loft does not mean a club will go farther.   Just real life example of the falsehood that loft jacked irons always go farther.   

Agree. Kinda blows up the loft jacking concept leading to more distance 

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

And that was our point, I think - 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Loft jacking is only part of the design of course.  Nowadays, companies like Ping, TM, PXG, et al, jack the lofts and at the same time reposition the weight to affect launch angle, descent angle, sweet spot...add in the new high tech metals being used for the faces...getting fitted is more important than ever IMHO.

All other things being the same, jacking the loft does give you more distance when looking at irons of the same composition, i.e., a Ping i530 in retro will not go as far as a i530 in power loft given the same conditions and swing.  Comparing iron specs of different designs only makes for TMI for the typical weekend warrior.  Get fitted. Shrug.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip