Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New Driver w/ Stock Shaft or 2-4 Years Old w/ New Premium Shaft?

Probably something that has been discussed before but I’m curious… is there better value going brand new driver with stock shaft or going with a couple years removed driver and investing those savings into a premium shaft. All other things equal like fitting and swing analysis and what not.

TaylorMade Sim 2 Driver at 10.5, 5 wood set to lowest loft (call it my 4 wood), 3 hybrid

Cobra Radspeed 5-GW

Cleveland 56 and 60

odyssey white hot with hinge face 1W

24 minutes ago, Trickle said:

Probably something that has been discussed before but I’m curious… is there better value going brand new driver with stock shaft or going with a couple years removed driver and investing those savings into a premium shaft. All other things equal like fitting and swing analysis and what not.

Its best to find the driver and shaft combo that works for you.   Just because a shaft is an aftermarket shaft and costs $500 doesn't mean it will work for you.  There is nothing wrong with stock shafts and one could work really well for your swing.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Premium shaft doesn’t guarantee better results.

The best option is the one that fits your swing 

A little something from Tom Wishon.

Shaft Myth #6 – The more expensive a shaft, the better its quality and the better it performs

There are few things in the golf industry that have become as much of a sore spot with me as this matter of shafts that cost $100, $200, $300 and even more. Shoot, I remember when we all thought a $40 shaft was expensive! What’s even worse are the uninformed golfers who see these $100 – $300 shafts and automatically form the opinion that if it costs that much, it has to be a really good shaft. 

You want to know what the definition of a “good shaft” is? A good shaft is any shaft that has been very accurately matched for its weight, overall stiffness, bend profile, weight distribution and torque to a golfer’s clubhead speed, transition force, downswing tempo, wrist-**** release, strength and sense of feel. That’s the definition of a “good shaft” and it has absolutely nothing to do with brand, model or price. 

There are 5 different specifications that determine the performance differences between shafts. 1) mass (weight); 2) overall stiffness (flex); 3) bend profile (distribution of the stiffness over the length of the shaft); 4) weight distribution (balance point); 5) torsional stiffness (torque). Two of these, the weight and the torque, are definitely related to the cost of the shaft. The lighter the weight and the lower the torque of a shaft, the more expensive the shaft will be to make. In other words, if you want to make a very stiff 45 gram shaft with less than 3? of torque, that shaft is going to cost a lot more money to make than a 65 gram softer flex shaft with 5? of torque. . . but not $100 to $300 by any means. 

The other three shaft design elements, a shaft’s overall stiffness, bend profile and balance point, are not even close to being as price sensitive as the weight and torque. Standard modulus (low cost) graphite raw materials can be used to make any flex, bend profile or balance point from soft L to very stiff X. 

Yes, many of the high dollar shafts are actually made with more expensive raw composite materials. But they don’t need to be made with such expensive materials to achieve their weight, flex, bend profile, balance point and torque. In my career I have measured the specifications of literally thousands of different shafts, and from my experience, I have yet to see a $100 to $300 shaft that could not be duplicated for weight, flex, bend profile, balance point and torque and sold at a normal profit in the industry for an aftermarket price of $25 to $50.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

New driver.  Heads have faster ball speeds nowadays, plus are more forgiving.  🤔  my .02

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I think you have to find what works for your swing and you feel comfortable with.  An aftermarket shaft alone isn’t going to make you drive the ball farther.  With a lot of the newer offerings, the stock shafts are not that bad.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

While I was going to respond to this similar to everyone else about how you have to pick one that best suits you and your swing, I'll look at your original question at face value and with that my answer will New driver stock shaft offerings. The tech in the new head will likely be more forgiving and have more distance. Plus the stock shaft offerings have gotten a lot better over the years.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

9 hours ago, Swood1994 said:

While I was going to respond to this similar to everyone else about how you have to pick one that best suits you and your swing, I'll look at your original question at face value and with that my answer will New driver stock shaft offerings. The tech in the new head will likely be more forgiving and have more distance. Plus the stock shaft offerings have gotten a lot better over the years.

I agree 100%.  Just want to say I also looked at the question at face value.  We, in theory, buy clubs to get better performance and just adding a premium shaft does not necessarily make a 2/3 year old driver better than a new one with stock shaft.  

In my experience 2/3 years does not make a lot of difference in performance.  I support the basic premise that 3/5 is a more likely timeframe where you will get “significant” improvement.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

Its best to find the driver and shaft combo that works for you.   Just because a shaft is an aftermarket shaft and costs $500 doesn't mean it will work for you.  There is nothing wrong with stock shafts and one could work really well for your swing.   

This times 100!

image.png.702001ca19ba55f2a1ca32610c99752e.pngUSMC Veteran and Weekend Golfer

image.png.a88615aa1dc2ff3464a9f6eba8f8c357.pngCallaway Paradym 10.5 degree Driver; Tensei 1K Blue 50g S

Screenshot2024-04-26094356.png.e6729b84fbca4db480e886001e078fb6.pngCobra LTDX 3 and 5 woods

image.png.bcf13f4bf775adb3a56fd3df40d0ea0e.png Titleist T300; C Taper Lite 105R

image.png.f87968f7ac02b80c1d756215bf1d4f5c.png Cleveland Zipcore 54 and 58

image.png.3538cead307819c04e33f42f9a56c878.png Scotty Newport Special Select 2 33 inch

image.png

56 minutes ago, cnosil said:

In my experience 2/3 years does not make a lot of difference in performance.  I support the basic premise that 3/5 is a more likely timeframe where you will get “significant” improvement.   

I agree - and is confirmed by my experience from a TM fitting a few weeks ago. Last year's driver model performed as well as this year's. On the other hand,  I'm getting ready to test a new Darkspeed 3 wood to replace my Radspeed, which is now 4 generations old and hoping for higher performance. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm never going to buy a $350+ shaft for any club, new or used. I have the money, I even have a spouse who wouldn't stop me, even though she'd harass mercilessly about being a club ho; I just can't justify it to myself. But unless you have the feel of a tour pro, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of us would never see any improvement over other lower priced after-market shafts that fits our profile. There are LOTS of them sub-$250, many sub-$100. 

But there's an experiment I'd like to try if I was ambitious and organized well enough. Several times I've heard knowledgeable people in the business, people like Tony Covey, Chris Nickel, Ian Fraser, and others, causally mention during a conversation what a great driver such-in-such was back in the day, often to their great surprise. I've never had the ambition at the time to make note of the one mentioned, and then go back to Most Wanted lists and other club ratings from the time to see how they were initially perceived/ranked and whether it has the potential to help with my particular driver issue(s). Then check out eBay/CallawayPreOwned/GlobalGolf to find one cheap, and marry it up with a shaft like Motore X, HZDRUS, Newton (school's still out on whether Newton delivers on its promise, but it looks good so far) or others, that fit my profile. 

When the day comes that I have a reasonable launch monitor, even something as simple as a Flight Scope which gives a pretty good array of numbers, I might give that a try. I think that'd be a fun experiment.

Edited by MIgregb

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

I would have to say if you are in the market for a replacement, make the replacement count.  Find the Manufacturer your swing works best with, get a new driver.  In my experience the stock shafts that are offered are good/great shafts.  My concern with a shaft replacement is all of what was mentioned above, no promise for improvement and you'll most likely be at least half in for a new driver.  Go to a fitting day, hit a bunch of balls and find one you like.  🙂

Cheers,

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

2 hours ago, MIgregb said:

But unless you have the feel of a tour pro, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of us would never see any improvement over other lower priced after-market shafts that fits our profile. There are LOTS of them sub-$250, many sub-$100. 

Will disagree based on fittings posted here and elsewhere with people seeing with 100mph and less see better results from a premium shaft compared to no upcharge shafts. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

23 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Will disagree based on fittings posted here and elsewhere with people seeing with 100mph and less see better results from a premium shaft compared to no upcharge shafts. 

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not talking about no upcharge shafts performing just as well, even for us amateurs. Pretty early on, a price tag of $500 was mentioned and the premise of the thread was whether an older driver head matched with a "premium" shaft would be more beneficial than a new driver with a stock shaft. My only point was that a much less expensive premium shaft would work just as well for the majority of us than an expensive shaft, so you don't have to pay $500+ to get improved performance. Your UST Helium shaft is a perfect example. It's under $300 from what I can see.

There is no doubt in my mind what-so-ever that a premium shaft will outperform a stock shaft in the vast majority of cases, maybe in all cases. But I don't think that could be said for a less expensive premium shaft vs. a crazy expensive shaft, at least for the majority of us. Now, if someone has the experience of testing sub $250 upmarket shafts along with $500+ upmarket shafts, and there was demonstrated benefit to that $500+ shaft, then I apologize and stand corrected.

Edited by MIgregb

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

3 minutes ago, MIgregb said:

My only point was that a much less expensive premium shaft would work just as well for the majority of us than an expensive shaft, so you don't have to pay $500+ to get improved performance.

For most people yes, manufacturers pick shafts for their matrix that will fit a wide variety of golfers. Performance of a shaft has nothing to do with the cost. Some no upcharge shafts are actually premium shafts that shaft manufactures want to get into people’s hands and some with club manufacturers to work out a deal to make them no upcharge. Rogue white, tensei pro shafts in a couple manufacturers.

5 minutes ago, MIgregb said:

There is no doubt on my mind what-so-ever that a premium shaft will outperform a stock shaft in the vast majority of cases, maybe in all cases. But I don't think that could be said for a less expensive premium shaft vs. a crazy expensive shaft, at least for the majority of us

Not always. We can use the made for ventus and the ventus velocore shafts as an example. Several here have been fit by TM and had the made for shaft outperform the velocore version.

Again to the bolded part price is irrelevant to determining performance. And pretty much every premium shaft falls between $300-375. Not that many premium shafts over $375.

The point is that people can notice a difference even without a tour feel in their game and a some have gone thru good fittings and a noticeable difference can be felt. Regardless of price or materials a cheap shaft can be better for some golfers over an expensive. The only bad shaft is the one that doesn’t fit the golfer