Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Scottsdale courses

I’m heading to Scottsdale mid April for about a week. Going with the wife and her sister so I plan on golfing on my own for most of the week. I’ve been a few times already so I know all the big courses and have played most of them but playing by myself I’m not looking to drop that kind of money. Anyone know if any area courses that are a good deal/offer LEO discounts? Thanks in advance

Tom C

Scottsdale in April is not going to be cheap unfortunately.   And since you said you have played the big courses, here are some others you might consider in and around the Scottsdale area.  Depending upon the area in Scottsdale you are staying and how far of a drive you are willing to make, there might be a few others.

McDowell Mountain Ranch

Camelback Inn (two courses)

TPC Champions course (not the stadium course used for the WM Phoenix Open)

Eagle Mountain

Sunridge Canyon

Orange Tree 

Stone Creek

JW Marriott - Desert Ridge

Dove Valley

McCormick Ranch (two courses) (I readily admit I am a course snob and this would be a last option for me)

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2, 9.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 max, 15.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

5 wood: TaylorMade Burner (old school)

Irons:

4-PW - PXG-0311XP-Gen3, Modus Pro 105-R shafts

48 Deg wedge, Calloway Jaws

52 Deg wedge, Ping

56 Deg sandwedge, Powerbilt (had is since high school)

Putter: TaylorMade Spyder  

@scbelowpar that's a solid list for average pricing, I cosign on the McCormick Ranch point. I'm doing Sunridge and Eagle Mountain in May. Stone Creek is a fun track. I'll have to hit up some of those other ones on my next work trip. 

@Tom c you can do no wrong with Sc's list. 

Driver:    :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver w/ fujikura ventus blue 6-series 
Fairway:   :cobra-small: King F8 3 wood  
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 3 hybrid 19.5° Atmos 7s stiff      
Irons:       :mizuno-small:Pro 243 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120
Wedges: :Sub70: TAIII Forged Wedge Black 50°, 54°, 58°
Putter:    :Sub70: 004 Mallet w/ SuperStroke Zynergy 5.0

Ball:  Pro Plus (white & drip)

Sweet. Appreciate it. First couple days I got a buddy coming out so we’re scheduled for Stonecreek, Rancho Manana and legends trail. I’ll check out McCormick for sure when he leaves and I’m on my own. Thanks guys 

Tom C

I went on a weekend Scottsdale golf trip back in late Jan and played Dinosaur Mountain (not technically Scottsdale, actually east Mesa), Sun Ridge, and WeKoPa Cholla.  I have played WeKoPa a few times over the years -- both courses, Cholla and Saguaro -- and honestly, that's one of my fave places to play anywhere.  Given my druthers, that's where I'd be, hands down.  I love those courses.  Dino Mountain was also very solid.  Wasn't as big a fan of Sun Ridge -- it wasn't in as good of shape, and felt more residential than the others.  I have also played Rancho Manana a number of times and while it's also residential, I liked it more than Sun Ridge.

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

On 4/4/2024 at 9:09 AM, scbelowpar said:

McDowell Mountain Ranch (Maybe?)

Camelback Inn (two courses) (YES)

TPC Champions course (not the stadium course used for the WM Phoenix Open) Yes

Eagle Mountain Yes

Sunridge Canyon  Can be wildly either direction Better check on condition.

Orange Tree Would Rather slam my genitals in a car door

Stone Creek Same

JW Marriott - Desert Ridge Otherwise known as the Wildfire courses. Yes. 

Dove Valley Very mid. 

McCormick Ranch (two courses) (I readily admit I am a course snob and this would be a last option for me) Yeah, I'd take it off the list entirely. 

Also, Quintero, WeKoPa, etc. 

On 4/4/2024 at 9:09 AM, scbelowpar said:

Edited by chris_