Iron reshafting worth it?

Replaced my starter set this year with a combo set. Only problem is I have 2 different shafts half way thru the irons. Want to get them all the same for consistency, plus I’m hitting my scoring irons really high and getting punished on a windy day. But I’ve heard many horror stories with balancing, swing weight, etc. I love the heads I got and plan on keeping them a long time.

For the price it costs just curious if it’s a bad idea to open that can of worms?

Driver- Paradym Hzrdus green 60g 6.5

3 wood- stealth plus hzrdus red 75g 6.5

4 iron -P790, 5-6 - p770, 7-Pw- Apex Tcb- KBS 130x

Volkey 50, Jaws raw 54,58

Odessey Versa 7

Prov 1x/CSX

This is so tricky - 

Im in the same boat btw for different reasons - I have a set of ZX 5’s that I’m currently gaming. They are beautiful irons but the shafts are 62 grams and they play at C9 - I really prefer the feel of a heavier swing weight - I sometimes have trouble feeling the club head with mine. When I was fit I performed very similarly with a shaft that was 10 grams heavier - we went lighter on the theory that it would help towards the end of a round when I’m tired. I have a set of steel fiber i70’s that I’m itching put in but I’m scared - I don’t game the 6 iron so I’m thinking of just doing that one to try it out. 

I will say this - lots of people think they hit their irons or driver too high, very few actually do. You should go on a launch monitor and get data to see if it’s really the case.

Where does your set break between clubs? 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

42 minutes ago, revkev said:

This is so tricky - 

Im in the same boat btw for different reasons - I have a set of ZX 5’s that I’m currently gaming. They are beautiful irons but the shafts are 62 grams and they play at C9 - I really prefer the feel of a heavier swing weight - I sometimes have trouble feeling the club head with mine. When I was fit I performed very similarly with a shaft that was 10 grams heavier - we went lighter on the theory that it would help towards the end of a round when I’m tired. I have a set of steel fiber i70’s that I’m itching put in but I’m scared - I don’t game the 6 iron so I’m thinking of just doing that one to try it out. 

I will say this - lots of people think they hit their irons or driver too high, very few actually do. You should go on a launch monitor and get data to see if it’s really the case.

Where does your set break between clubs? 

I really do need to get some hard numbers with these new clubs. I do like my decent angle im getting, I prefer little rollout. My yardages have always been consistent just last two rounds I was sailing a few that just felt way off. Like my 8 sailing a 165 green by a good ten yards.

Maybe I just need to adjust my game in windy conditions more. - Or made I’m just looking for an excuse to satisfy my heavy golf addiction lol

My set breaks after 7i. I have Pw-7 in apex tcb and 6-4 in p770 with loft adjusted. The tabs have kbs tour v 120 and longer iron have the kbs tour 130. The heads are gorgeous and near mint don’t know if having the different shafts are throwing me off a bit.

Where you gonna try to swap that 6i yourself or have someone else do it?

Odessey Versa 7

Prov 1x/CSX

12 hours ago, Siilky said:

Replaced my starter set this year with a combo set. Only problem is I have 2 different shafts half way thru the irons. Want to get them all the same for consistency, plus I’m hitting my scoring irons really high and getting punished on a windy day. But I’ve heard many horror stories with balancing, swing weight, etc. I love the heads I got and plan on keeping them a long time.

For the price it costs just curious if it’s a bad idea to open that can of worms?

I agree that getting fit for your shaft is really important.  I also think choosing the right club builder is really important.  

Making sure the swing weight with the irons is properly done for your specific swing and personal preference will make or break whether it works out.  Getting the right awing weight and overall club weight is a difficult skill.  The extra price to get it done right is totally worth it.  

Good luck with it and tell us all how it worked out.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

4 hours ago, revkev said:

I agree Rev.  Hitting irons high is a gift that I don’t have. Playing in a lot of wind, I tried not to hit high shots when I was learning this game.  I actually like lower shots, but I wish I could generate the speed to produce a high shot when I need it.   Most players do not know how to flight their short irons; it’s a skill that is needed.

On original topic… reshafting irons is definitely worth it.  @Siilky A fitter will assess what you have and determine which shaft will work the best for your swing.  Maybe you only need to replace half your set; maybe you need them all replaced with a new shaft.  Let the fitter decide.  

With increased age came the inability to swing heavier steel shafts.  I tried graphite shafts, but have always preferred the feel of steel.  I love my MacGregor VIP 1025M irons but the DG S300 shafts were way too heavy and I put them in the garage.  A few years ago I decided to reshaft them with Nippon N.S. Pro Zelos 8 steel shafts weighing 84g.  Love them now!  I did the work myself and the swing weights are C9-D0 with my current midsize grip.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

one thing you can try is getting a roll of lead tape - not as a perm solution but just to play around with. kind of a low cost way to see if it makes a difference. 

IMHO the shaft on your clubs is even more important than the clubhead and worth every penny to find out what the proper one is.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

one thing you can try is getting a roll of lead tape - not as a perm solution but just to play around with. kind of a low cost way to see if it makes a difference. 

IMHO the shaft on your clubs is even more important than the clubhead and worth every penny to find out what the proper one is.

Knew about lead tape but didn’t think of that as a tester. Gonna experiment with it next time I’m hitting. Good idea 

Odessey Versa 7

Prov 1x/CSX

13 hours ago, Siilky said:

I really do need to get some hard numbers with these new clubs. I do like my decent angle im getting, I prefer little rollout. My yardages have always been consistent just last two rounds I was sailing a few that just felt way off. Like my 8 sailing a 165 green by a good ten yards.

Maybe I just need to adjust my game in windy conditions more. - Or made I’m just looking for an excuse to satisfy my heavy golf addiction lol

My set breaks after 7i. I have Pw-7 in apex tcb and 6-4 in p770 with loft adjusted. The tabs have kbs tour v 120 and longer iron have the kbs tour 130. The heads are gorgeous and near mint don’t know if having the different shafts are throwing me off a bit.

Where you gonna try to swap that 6i yourself or have someone else do it?

If have no DYI skills - I do have a great repair guy/fitter - I will have him do it for me.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

12 hours ago, revkev said:

If have no DYI skills - I do have a great repair guy/fitter - I will have him do it for me.  

There’s a local guy who seems to be very professional. Says hell spine align and adjust swing weight based on fitting. Gonna be about 55 a club. Seems worth it and trust worthy

I like to DYI, i always done my own grips but this seems like too much to do it comfortably

Odessey Versa 7

Prov 1x/CSX

As mentioned data points are important to understand why things like high ball flight are happening.

it could be bad shaft for the swing, could be swing related and too much dynamic loft, a shaft could fix this or it may not.

spin, launch, dynamic loft, apex, descent angle.

Then there is the factor of if it’s working then why change and on windy days learn to hit a lower ball flight. 

But if looking for a change a fitting with a reputable fitter is the best way to go 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I play D0-D1 in my irons.

But used to have E-C2 when had my second set with graphite stiff before changing to iron shafts.

Last purchase I got fitted for Modus3 120 TX, cause played C-Taper 130g/X before that and wanted the same overall weight and C-Taper was not available.

I really like the dispersion with C-Taper and the rigid feel of the impact with them. Also the ball flight is a tad lower with C-Taper compared to many others.

Because the experience on C-Taper, I had them reshafted and the feel came back to me.

Not quite familiar how the classic swing weight scale works, but I believe the numbers implement the balance point and the letters to club overall weight somehow.

The graphites I used to have were frequency matched and therefore the old figures were oddly oscillating from E to C every other club being E and the next on the C-scale. The set felt being in really good balance and similar from club to club, yet the old scale told otherwise.

For me the overall weight is more important than the balance point due swing rythm, and I find a head heavy club tough to time properly on full swings. In chipping however I like the wedges to be 1-3 dots head heavier than the irons otherwise. And lately been reshafting the wedges with the same shaft as I use in my iron set.

Reshafting is worthy action, if the shaft isn’t working properly for your swing, but if you are satisfied with the flight a shaft gives, there are other measures to alter the swing weight between butt and head weight, which I’d test before reshafting.

If there is a risk, take it! AND RECOVER the best you can!

On 4/6/2024 at 10:17 AM, Siilky said:

There’s a local guy who seems to be very professional. Says hell spine align and adjust swing weight based on fitting. Gonna be about 55 a club. Seems worth it and trust worthy

I like to DYI, i always done my own grips but this seems like too much to do it comfortably

100% worth it. I did an iron fitting at club champion and went up ~30g and one flex (although flex is arbitrary between manufacturers) in my iron shafts. I adjusted my swing and tempo to make solid contact over the years only to find once I started hitting it well it was either flushed straight or would over draw off target... frustrating on a good golf shot. Swapping shafts has brought my dispersion down considerably.

I had a similar deal to you on a per club basis and he added some grips for $5 a pop. Was very pleased all around.

Practical golf FTW!