Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Fairway woods, hybrids or long irons?

I am currently debating changing my long irons (4&5) for a some fairway woods. I currently have a 4 hybrid (190 carry), 4 iron (180 carry) and 5 iron (175 carry) but I hit the irons inconsistently.

People that have made the switch from long irons to fairway woods, do you regret it or are you never looking back?

D -TSR2

3 wood - TSR2

Apex tour 22 irons

Mixture of wedges

Odyssey putter

@Hughesjosh I’m in a similar predicament.  I currently carry 3W, 4H, 4I, 5I. What I’m noticing is that this early in the season, My ability to hit the 4I as well as I did last season is a bit tough. I’m also hitting my 4H much more consistently than last year. I’m thinking of dropping the 4I and adding a 3H, but what would you do about playing out of the rough?

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

3 minutes ago, Hacker60521 said:

@Hughesjosh I’m in a similar predicament.  I currently carry 3W, 4H, 4I, 5I. What I’m noticing is that this early in the season, My ability to hit the 4I as well as I did last season is a bit tough. I’m also hitting my 4H much more consistently than last year. I’m thinking of dropping the 4I and adding a 3H, but what would you do about playing out of the rough?

If its light rough I tend to hit the hybrid over the irons anyway if its thicker rough I would go with a higher lofted iron. Have you seen the new Taylormade video with Tiger Woods explaining the punch shot out of the rough with a 5 wood? That would probably solve that issue.

D -TSR2

3 wood - TSR2

Apex tour 22 irons

Mixture of wedges

Odyssey putter

1 hour ago, Hughesjosh said:

I am currently debating changing my long irons (4&5) for a some fairway woods. I currently have a 4 hybrid (190 carry), 4 iron (180 carry) and 5 iron (175 carry) but I hit the irons inconsistently.

People that have made the switch from long irons to fairway woods, do you regret it or are you never looking back?

Hi, I tend to be a lower ball hitter.  3 years ago I went to a 3 and 4 hybrid, to replace my 3 and 4 irons.  I found a nice high penetrating flight with Stiff shafts.  Last year, I swapped out the 5 and 6 irons, with hybrids.  I can't see myself going back.  Can hit out of all lies, and stop relatively quickly.  Only caveat-if it is a windy day, I will swap out my 6 hybrid with a 6 iron. ( I hit the 6 quite high, which tends to only go about 160 into a two club wind, and 190 + downwind).  As far as consistency is concerned, hybrids are definitely more forgiving.  They are a little less workable, but for this golfer, consistency is more important than working the ball.

Overall.  Go to a place that has a simulator for fitting.  Take your irons, hit some shots alternating between irons and hybrids and look at the results.  That will determine if making the switch is right for you.  You mention carry distances.  Are you finding a disparity for total distance?

I haven't looked at FW wood combinations, but if I were to switch out, I would probably get rid of my 3/4 hybrid and put in a 7 wood and another wedge.

PS.  I only got teased for a little while, by my regular 4-ball for having so many head covers.  I can buy a lot of therapy with their money.🤑

Callaway Paradigm 10.5 degree driver BGT shaft

TM Stealth 2 3 wood

3-5 hybrids Ping G430

PXG Gen 3 irons (6-W)

TM high toe wedges 50°, 56°, 60°

LAB Mezz Max putter Armlock BT Stability shaft

Ball: Oncore Vero X1

I went from long irons to fairway woods to hybrids, and I'll never go back. Fairways worked really well when I struggled with hybrids, however fixing my swing helped me get along much better with hybrids and I now enjoy playing them. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I'm getting older and have some past injuries that make my swing speed a little too slow to be hacking 20* lofted 4 irons up in the air, so I use both FWs and a hybrid or two depending on the course and conditions.  I don't regret it at all, and, now that I'm in my mid 50's, my ego isn't dependent at all upon swinging fast or hitting far. 

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

5 hours ago, Hughesjosh said:

If its light rough I tend to hit the hybrid over the irons anyway if its thicker rough I would go with a higher lofted iron. Have you seen the new Taylormade video with Tiger Woods explaining the punch shot out of the rough with a 5 wood? That would probably solve that issue.

I just saw the Tiger Woods video the other day. I’ll probably give it a try just to see what happens for me. But same … I tend to use a 5 or 6 if I’m in deeper rough and have a ways to go. Then I’m just trying for forward progress and getting the ball back on the fairway

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

14 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I went from long irons to fairway woods to hybrids, and I'll never go back. Fairways worked really well when I struggled with hybrids, however fixing my swing helped me get along much better with hybrids and I now enjoy playing them. 

I used to hate hitting my hybrid but after a couple of lessons its probably most reliable club now.

D -TSR2

3 wood - TSR2

Apex tour 22 irons

Mixture of wedges

Odyssey putter

I am a newer convert to the 7 wood and have no intention on going back. It is a very versatile club and right now is working for everything I need!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

In my bag I have a Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron, which I use primarily for tee shots, and I love it. I also have 19 and 24 degree hybrids which are a mix of tee and off the deck. I carry a 3 wood but I rarely ever use it. I ditched the 4 iron from my bag. I have a 5 iron still, but it doesn't get used too much. Irons are fine if you have enough speed to launch them. That's where things fall down for most handicap golfers, if the speed isn't there so the distance plateaus after 6 iron. 

It sounds like you shoul ditch the 4 iron at least, and depending on what the gapping is between your 5 and 6 iron, might be better off getting rid of the 5 as well. I'm a big fan of hybrids over fairway woods personally. I think the slightly shorter shaft makes them so much easier to play from a variety of different spots. I do have a soft spot for a 7 wood though having had one back when I started playing golf as a junior.

19 hours ago, Hughesjosh said:

15 minutes ago, paul6057 said:

In my bag I have a Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron, which I use primarily for tee shots, and I love it. I also have 19 and 24 degree hybrids which are a mix of tee and off the deck. I carry a 3 wood but I rarely ever use it. I ditched the 4 iron from my bag. I have a 5 iron still, but it doesn't get used too much. Irons are fine if you have enough speed to launch them. That's where things fall down for most handicap golfers, if the speed isn't there so the distance plateaus after 6 iron. 

It sounds like you shoul ditch the 4 iron at least, and depending on what the gapping is between your 5 and 6 iron, might be better off getting rid of the 5 as well. I'm a big fan of hybrids over fairway woods personally. I think the slightly shorter shaft makes them so much easier to play from a variety of different spots. I do have a soft spot for a 7 wood though having had one back when I started playing golf as a junior.

I also have a 3 wood which I mainly use off the tee but occassionally use off the deck. I think I am more likely to ditch the 4 iron for another hybrid instead of fairway wood but just see that so many people love their 7 wood.

D -TSR2

3 wood - TSR2

Apex tour 22 irons

Mixture of wedges

Odyssey putter

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I am a newer convert to the 7 wood and have no intention on going back. It is a very versatile club and right now is working for everything I need!

I have never heard anyone hate their 7 wood.

D -TSR2

3 wood - TSR2

Apex tour 22 irons

Mixture of wedges

Odyssey putter

I am a 78 YO high handicapper so this won't apply to everyone. I have hybrids and fairways. My need is for accurate longer second shots.

I love the 2022 Mizuno ST-X 220 line. So easy to get height and distance with my slow swing speed. They are more strong lofted than my traditional clubs. I have obtained 5 HY (23) and 6 HY (26), and now a 7FW (21) at good prices.. I add to that my trusty Cobra Fly-Z 5/7 FW (set to 5FW loft). Then, my Mizzy JPX800HD irons start with 6-GW.

I have scored much better with that setup (and some better putting). That's my golf life today as age advances. Best to all you young guys and gals, -Marv

For me, the 6 iron is the cutoff point. I will play an iron or a hybrid depending on wind and course conditions, but longer than that I no longer think about it. Age and injury leave me remembering my beloved 2 iron, but it's on display now.

My bag is 10.5 driver, 13.5 mini, 5 wood, 9 wood, 5 hybrid. I can deloft the 9 wood if I need a little extra, and it's amazing out of the rough. 

Height is not a problem at my slow swing speed (90mph driver).

TM Stealth 10.5 on Ventus Red 5 Reg

TM Mini 13.5 on Ventus Red 5 Reg

TM Stealth 5, and 9 woods on  Ventus Blue Reg

TM Stealth 5 hybrid on Ventus Blue Reg

Mizuno Pro 245 6 to Gap, UST Mamiya Recoil 760/780 ES F3 +1.25", 3 up

Callaway Jaws 54, 62, Project X Catalyst Wedge, +1.5, 2 up

Scotty Phantom 5s

As usual, I guess I am the odd man out, so to speak!  I really like my 4 and 5 irons.  I have D, 3W, 2H, 4-AW, 52, 56.  I guess I never really concerned myself with how high I hit 4, and 5.  On the rare occasion I hit the green from 185, or 175, the ball sticks, so I guess I've just never thought of this as a problem. 

I also find that when it comes to bad tee shots, (which occur more often that I like)  I find the 4 & 5, invaluable for keeping the ball low, and advancing it out from underneath the trees.  Lastly I also find that when I need to, and it doesn't always work out, but I find the 4/5, much easier to purposely move left or right, when needed, most of the time when I am out of position.  Its all about personal preference, but I  believe I would find hybrids replacing my 4/5, less useful.

Make no mistake, I love my 200 yard 2H, but I don't really think I mis-hit my 4/5 any more than I do any other club in my bag.

Edited by Stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Hybrids all the way.

I liked hitting low flight long irons when I was younger and had a lot of confidence in them. I recently retired and decided to start golfing again, only to discover that I just can't get my long irons up and hit too many with poor contact. I purchased 3, 4 and 5 hybrids to replace my 3,4 and 5 irons and really enjoy the forgiveness they provide. I consistently hit good shots with them. My only regret is that I no longer have my trusted 4 iron for getting under and out of trees. I hit the 3h so far that I am thinking of swapping out my 3 wood for the 4 iron just to have that club for trouble shots (I play a tight wood lined course).

wolfpackEatGolfersmall.jpg.7f8841c4b86f1b448f50832c91792ff2.jpg

I had a 3 & 4 utility iron and a 5 iron but they have been replaced with hybrids. Way more consistent and so much more forgiving. The 3 hybrid only gets used when it is windy as flies at a lower height than the 5 wood or if I am stuck behind a tree and need a low shot back to the fairway. The only way I would go back to irons is if I practised more or I wanted a wee dabble but other than that I am pleased with my set-up.

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.dd4f326c5c376d5804c4206f3515f262.jpg TSI2 with Tensei AV Blue RAW SFW Shaft

Woods: default_mizuno-small.jpg.ada8decca0ed833c2e72f2934a3db001.jpg ST-G Titanium 3 & 5 with Kai'li Blue Shafts

Hybrid: default_cobra-small.jpg.cd1515964ce61f97b2b3e44224029eaf.jpg King Tec 3H, 4H & 5H with MMT Shafts

Irons: Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png.fbdc964bf5f72b040815ceaa180b78ae.png Staff Model CB 6-PW 2021 with KBS Tour LIte Shafts

Wedges: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5cee78b888770cea5d0e2c6e498bcb00.jpg RTX Zipcore 52 & 56 with Dynamic Gold Spinner Shafts

Putter:  LAB.png.ff88ee6157c2ce12d28375808a3fe8c5.png Mezz One with Standard Shaft

Balls: default_srixon-small.jpg.6afaed00e659f108cea5581e4eb783e6.jpg ZX Diamond or Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png.46adc9a6c9276f28c38e3cda6b832f4c.png Pro

Recently added a Driving Iron, in trying them out in the store did better with the 3 iron than the 2 iron. So now have 3 Driving iron 210 carry, 3 hybrid 220 carry, 4 iron 205 carry-but mainly used as rescue from under trees.  The driving iron is more consistent and less disperse than either the 3 hybrid or the 4 Iron. However the 3 hybrid is great out of rough, and the driving iron is not. Next step may be to change the 3 hybrid to a 2 hybrid.                

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

On 4/9/2024 at 4:52 PM, Hughesjosh said:

I used to play a 3 and 4 iron.  Now I have a 3W, 3H, 5W and 7W (all Pings). I don't have a very fast swing speed.  I have found much greater control and versatility with the woods vs the irons.  The 7W is my favorite club, it has a wonderful ball flight and stopping power on the green is fantastic. I can hit my 3W off of the tee almost as far as my driver.  I like the 3H when in some rough as it give more head to get through the grass and punch the ball out.  I still carry a 5 iron, which occasionally I can hit and get reasonable distance, but frankly I use the 5 iron when I am say under a branch or something and need to get it out and keep it low but want to get some distance.  I rarely use it from the fairway. My comfort level with irons starts at the 6, where i feel I have more comfort and control and gaps well with my woods. Because the 7W is so versatile and I can get very good distance with it (from 150-170 depending on if I take a bit off of it on the strike) I sometimes don't take the 3H with me, not due to the gapping as the 3H I can get farther, but just that I don't use if very often and I take another wedge with me. To answer your question - I left the long irons behind and will not go back. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

31 minutes ago, Julius said:

I used to play a 3 and 4 iron.  Now I have a 3W, 3H, 5W and 7W (all Pings). I don't have a very fast swing speed.  I have found much greater control and versatility with the woods vs the irons.  The 7W is my favorite club, it has a wonderful ball flight and stopping power on the green is fantastic. I can hit my 3W off of the tee almost as far as my driver.  I like the 3H when in some rough as it give more head to get through the grass and punch the ball out.  I still carry a 5 iron, which occasionally I can hit and get reasonable distance, but frankly I use the 5 iron when I am say under a branch or something and need to get it out and keep it low but want to get some distance.  I rarely use it from the fairway. My comfort level with irons starts at the 6, where i feel I have more comfort and control and gaps well with my woods. Because the 7W is so versatile and I can get very good distance with it (from 150-170 depending on if I take a bit off of it on the strike) I sometimes don't take the 3H with me, not due to the gapping as the 3H I can get farther, but just that I don't use if very often and I take another wedge with me. To answer your question - I left the long irons behind and will not go back. 

That's great to know. I also only really use the 3 wood off the tee. How do you find the 5 wood? The stopping power of a 7 wood on the green is a big selling point to me. Still carrying a 5 iron makes sense for those low shots under trees. Good to know you are never going back!

D -TSR2

3 wood - TSR2

Apex tour 22 irons

Mixture of wedges

Odyssey putter

18 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

As usual, I guess I am the odd man out, so to speak!  I really like my 4 and 5 irons.  I have D, 3W, 2H, 4-AW, 52, 56.  I guess I never really concerned myself with how high I hit 4, and 5.  On the rare occasion I hit the green from 185, or 175, the ball sticks, so I guess I've just never thought of this as a problem. 

I also find that when it comes to bad tee shots, (which occur more often that I like)  I find the 4 & 5, invaluable for keeping the ball low, and advancing it out from underneath the trees.  Lastly I also find that when I need to, and it doesn't always work out, but I find the 4/5, much easier to purposely move left or right, when needed, most of the time when I am out of position.  Its all about personal preference, but I  believe I would find hybrids replacing my 4/5, less useful.

Make no mistake, I love my 200 yard 2H, but I don't really think I mis-hit my 4/5 any more than I do any other club in my bag.

Very interesting to have an opposing take. I guess its different for everybody. I also find the 4 iron invaluable for hitting it out from the trees. I used to have a 3 iron that I only used for that exact reason but I swapped it out for another wedge.

D -TSR2

3 wood - TSR2

Apex tour 22 irons

Mixture of wedges

Odyssey putter

19 hours ago, Zman56 said:

I do not regret switching to fairway woods at all.  I hit them more consistent and get the distance I want.  I have 5, 7, & 11 woods.  Good luck.

You don't hear many people with a 11 wood! What iron does that replace for you?

D -TSR2

3 wood - TSR2

Apex tour 22 irons

Mixture of wedges

Odyssey putter

17 minutes ago, Hughesjosh said:

That's great to know. I also only really use the 3 wood off the tee. How do you find the 5 wood? The stopping power of a 7 wood on the green is a big selling point to me. Still carrying a 5 iron makes sense for those low shots under trees. Good to know you are never going back!

I really like the 5W, I use it off the tee as well, however more often than not it is used as fairway wood.  Depending on the distance, I would prefer to use th 5 wood in instead of the 3, as this feels more comfortable to me as a club and I seem to have be control.  I would prefer for example to use the 5W for say 170-180 and then an iron or 7W into the green (depending on distance).  Favorite club in the bag now is the 7W just so versatile. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

On 4/10/2024 at 11:56 AM, Hughesjosh said:

I also have a 3 wood which I mainly use off the tee but occassionally use off the deck. I think I am more likely to ditch the 4 iron for another hybrid instead of fairway wood but just see that so many people love their 7 wood.

I have no idea how distances between a 7 wood and  4 hybrid would stack up, but if the 7 wood is 21 degrees (I could have sworn my late 90s Mizuno 7 wood was more like 24 degrees), and with the slightly longer shaft, I'd presume it would be a bit longer than your 4 hybrid, and also launch a bit higher. With a 190 hybrid and 175 longest iron, that seems like a decent enough gap to maintain, so I'd definitely look at something that can get you that 210+ sort of distance, if that's useful for you.

I would say, don't discount driving irons, I find mine so useful when it's windy, as it has a much more penetrating ball flight over a hybrid, which tend to balloon. It's also great when the ground is firm and I want to hit a low runner of a shot. I guess it just comes down to where you think you need more cover.

Have embraced both.  My 5W is my favorite from the fairway on a long par 4 or par 5 or even off the tee for position.  Have both a 4H and 5H that are great out of the rough and also off the tee on a long par 3.  Stopped carrying a 5i.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FW: 3HL Callaway Paradym

FW: 5 Callaway Mavrik

Hybird: Rogue ST 5

Irons: Paradym X 6-AW, UST Dart 75g

Wedges: Vokey TM9, 52F, 58S

Putter: Odessey OG 

Callaway Chromesoft or Titleist Tour Speed